• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Service Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are several threads about dogs on the Camino. The general feeling (I believe) is don't. Most places won't let your dog stay. It's a VERY difficult trip for a dog, exhausting and dangerous. There are farm dogs along the way, rough trail and rocks that tear up their feet. Plus the flight is horrible for a dog. Sorry, but I'd say no.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the Forum, @diggs. As others have said, the Camino is not an easy trek for a dog. I take it yours is a service dog and provides needed assistance to you. You didn't indicate how far you will have to travel to get to the Camino, or how long you expect to be on Camino. Is there some way you can manage your Camino without your dog - perhaps with the aid of a human friend? If you are being called to Camino, I do hope something can be worked out. Here's wishing you well ...... :)

My first thought or question is do you depend on the dog for safety? I am asking for clarification so we understand your need for a service dog. I think most agree a pet is a bad idea. Also maybe someone from Spain who understands the law concerning a service dog my help with some of the concerns.
Keith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first thought or question is do you depend on the dog for safety? I am asking for clarification so we understand your need for a service dog. I think most agree a pet is a bad idea. Also maybe someone from Spain who understands the law concerning a service dog my help with some of the concerns.
Keith
Hi Keith, my dog is a service dog. He helps me with PTS and balance. He is a large dog, Lab, who is very highly trained and very well behaved. He is never off leash, except play time. I understand that Spain has recently (past couple years) become move attentive to service dogs and welcoming of them. We do hike the mountains in Colorado, so he is in pretty good shape. Thank you for the concern. Cheers!

Diggs, where will you be flying from?
The long flight in the luggage hold is a concern...

Hi Anne, we live just north of Denver. Will fly to Paris for a few days and from there take a train or fly to the start point for the French route. He is used to traveling for hours in aircraft at my feet, although we have never done a flight longer than 5 hours.. I will have to check with the Airline to make sure that is not a problem. It never has been in the past.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the Forum, @diggs. As others have said, the Camino is not an easy trek for a dog. I take it yours is a service dog and provides needed assistance to you. You didn't indicate how far you will have to travel to get to the Camino, or how long you expect to be on Camino. Is there some way you can manage your Camino without your dog - perhaps with the aid of a human friend? If you are being called to Camino, I do hope something can be worked out. Here's wishing you well ...... :)

Hello Icacos, I will fly from Denver to Paris, stay a few days and then either train or fly to the French route. I can stay for up to 2 months, there is no hurry. I suppose I could leave him with my sister if I had to do so. I prefer to travel alone so the dog would be a preferred companion. Cheers!

Hi Keith, my dog is a service dog. He helps me with PTS and balance. He is a large dog, Lab, who is very highly trained and very well behaved. He is never off leash, except play time. I understand that Spain has recently (past couple years) become move attentive to service dogs and welcoming of them. We do hike the mountains in Colorado, so he is in pretty good shape. Thank you for the concern. Cheers!
Well it sounds like you have a good handle on his abilities the only concern I would have is places that would allow him. That is where Spanish law will effect your sleeping, eating. I figure if your from CO you will have a good take on livestock & somtimes you just have to rest in place a bit longer to get them fixed up. We all have our limits including the critters.

seen many dogs in all my caminos over time. some private albergues will allow them as I have seen before into a private room or downstairs areas..and hotels..
dog and other animals including horse fly all over the world with no problem .

enjoy the camino both of you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A number of years ago, a blind pilgrim arrived with a service dog at the municipal albergue in Logroño and was allowed to stay (the dog was wearing booties). One of the hospitaleros took the dog out for a walk as well. But I don't know whether Spain understands the use of service dogs for anyone other than the blind.

Hello Icacos, I will fly from Denver to Paris, stay a few days and then either train or fly to the French route. I can stay for up to 2 months, there is no hurry. I suppose I could leave him with my sister if I had to do so. I prefer to travel alone so the dog would be a preferred companion. Cheers!
I don't know a whole lot about service dogs but, from my limited observations, I get the feeling that there's been great progress made in accommodating persons who depend on these wonderful companions. Let's hope that Spain is keeping abreast with this progress. I wish you all the best. Would you tell us your dog's name? :)

Diggs, where will you be flying from?
The long flight in the luggage hold is a concern...
Dogs so just fine travelling in the hold. The concern is making sure the airport employées don't forget to load them up. I never board before knowing my dog is on board.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I understand that Spain has recently (past couple years) become move attentive to service dogs and welcoming of them.
I think that is true. The problem won't be your dog or your reception. It will be the occasional Spanish dog along the way. ;)

Buen camino.

I hope you are understanding of those people who don't appreciate having dogs near them, particularly in eating and sleeping areas, and make sure that you avoid distressing them unnecessarily.
:D Avoid distressing who unnecessarily, Doug? The dogs or the people?
Seriously.....I am not really a 'dog' person, but I could not imagine ever being distressed by having a companion dog near me, ever. They are the most beautifully trained, and wonderful beings.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am assuming the dog will just sleep with you, that's what I would do but some people don't have dogs Or for that matter had a dog sleep in the tent or on the sleeping bag. Hopefully you won't be walking in the rainy season. I will be curious how this all works out. I did meet a young guy walking that a stray just fell into step with him all the way to Santiago but he had a tent, never saw him at any Alburgue. You might get lucky & the folks you walk with will like dogs.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Met à couple on the Primitivo walking with their 2 Spanish Water Dogs. They were staying in pensiones and it did take them quite a bit of planning to know where they could stay with the dogs. Dogs were having a blast. On the other hand met a poor Greyhouns waiting in line for the Compostela. Owner said there wer times he would collages and she did not think he would make it. Greyhounds are made for quick short bruts of energy, not for full days of work like other breeds. I felt so sorry for him.

Dogs so just fine travelling in the hold. The concern is making sure the airport employées don't forget to load them up. I never board before knowing my dog is on board.
I don't know a whole lot about service dogs but, from my limited observations, I get the feeling that there's been great progress made in accommodating persons who depend on these wonderful companions. Let's hope that Spain is keeping abreast with this progress. I wish you all the best. Would you tell us your dog's name? :)
Hello Icacos, my service dog is named Arthur. He is a black English Labrador Retriever. He will be 5 years old this Christmas Day. A very fine dog, indeed.
Hi Annie, Arthur being a service dog, rides at my feet when we fly.

Attachments

• 11057378_10155861843265453_3648576639276826880_n.jpg
    11057378_10155861843265453_3648576639276826880_n.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 24
I hope you are understanding of those people who don't appreciate having dogs near them, particularly in eating and sleeping areas, and make sure that you avoid distressing them unnecessarily.
Good advice, thank you.

Hello Anemone del Camino, Arthur, my dog, being a service dog travels in the airplane at my feet. Thank you for the concern! Cheers!

Just where Arthur should be travelling. Out of Curiosity, How to you fit a 70 pound dog,under your feet in these horrible Seats?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All, I have a legitimate service dog who travels with me. Anyone know about the implications of taking a dog on this route?
Hi Diggs. Europeans view pets way different than Americans. I have never seen a service dog there. I'm sure there are some there but I have never seen one. My advice is to leave your service companion dog at home. I think you will have a harder time coping with the NO PETS rules than coping without your companion. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. when and where r u starting your camino.

Hi Diggs. Europeans view pets way different than Americans. I have never seen a service dog there. I'm sure there are some there but I have never seen one. My advice is to leave your service companion dog at home. I think you will have a harder time coping with the NO PETS rules than coping without your companion. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. when and where r u starting your camino.
Hello Urban,
I'm in the initial planning phase. Would like to begin in May, starting at Saint Jean Pied-Deport. I am used to carrying a lot of weight and traveling long distances, but think I would really like to take my time on this trip. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Seriously.....I am not really a 'dog' person, but I could not imagine ever being distressed by having a companion dog near me, ever. They are the most beautifully trained, and wonderful beings.

I'm actually allergic to the majority of dogs. Being around them makes my throat constrict and my nose run. I sneeze and cough for a day or two after being around one. I for one do not appreciate people who think that there is absolutely no harm to dogs being around. I know I could not sleep in an albergue where a dog was staying. And that makes me sad because I like them.

My gear list. 2 pair REI synthetic zip off pants. 2 Columbia long sleeve synthetic shirts. 2 short or long sleeve synthetic tee shirts. 1 set light weight micro fleece long johns. 3 pair synthetic under shorts and 3 pair wool socks. 1 ultra light vest. 1 polyester fleece. 1 water proof windbreaker. Zip up poncho (the rain in Spain falls mostly in Galicia). Tille hat, fleece beanie, and sunglasses. I'm going to try a Sea to Summit Traveller zip up blanket (it compresses to the size of a grapefruit), otherwise a light weight 2 or 3 season sleeping bag and maybe a backpacker air mattress. Micro fleece towel, travel soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, shower shoes (Crocs), and pit stick, I'll shave when I get to Santiago. Personalized first aid kit and medication to last the camino. Power adapter (not a converter), charging cords, and electronics as needed. Swiss army knife and packers cutting board. Depending on which camino you walk, 2 water bottles or 1 to 2 liter bladder. In the past I have used a Osprey Talon 44. The problem is I try to fill it up. This year I'm going with a Camelback Pursuit 24. I'm going for less than 18 pounds. Clothing will depend on the time of year. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My gear list. 2 pair REI synthetic zip off pants. 2 Columbia long sleeve synthetic shirts. 2 short or long sleeve synthetic tee shirts. 1 set light weight micro fleece long johns. 3 pair synthetic under shorts and 3 pair wool socks. 1 ultra light vest. 1 polyester fleece. 1 water proof windbreaker. Zip up poncho (the rain in Spain falls mostly in Galicia). Tille hat, fleece beanie, and sunglasses. I'm going to try a Sea to Summit Traveller zip up blanket (it compresses to the size of a grapefruit), otherwise a light weight 2 or 3 season sleeping bag and maybe a backpacker air mattress. Micro fleece towel, travel soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, shower shoes (Crocs), and pit stick, I'll shave when I get to Santiago. Personalized first aid kit and medication to last the camino. Power adapter (not a converter), charging cords, and electronics as needed. Swiss army knife and packers cutting board. Depending on which camino you walk, 2 water bottles or 1 to 2 liter bladder. In the past I have used a Osprey Talon 44. The problem is I try to fill it up. This year I'm going with a Camelback Pursuit 24. I'm going for less than 18 pounds. Clothing will depend on the time of year. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Hello UT, great list! THANKS FOR SHARING! Pretty much what I carried when I did Kilimanjaro back in August. Since I'm also doing the French route, this is very helpful. What time of year are you planning to travel? When you say 2 or 3 season bag, I'm assuming something like a 20 degree bag is what you are talking about? I've also seen a lot of folks talking about bedbugs! Yikes! Any problem with those you've experienced? Mosquitoes? Thank you! Cheers!

I'm actually allergic to the majority of dogs. Being around them makes my throat constrict and my nose run. I sneeze and cough for a day or two after being around one. I for one do not appreciate people who think that there is absolutely no harm to dogs being around. I know I could not sleep in an albergue where a dog was staying. And that makes me sad because I like them.
Sorry about that, Robert. I know several people who are allergic to cats (and they have serious difficulty flying if there is a cat on board, in the cabin) but you are the first that I've heard of who is allergic to dogs. I can appreciate your difficulties too. How to accommodate everyone? That is a problem.

Diggs

I am assuming you will feed him what you find along the way, as packing dog food will just be too heavy. So your food bill will be interesting as well. One thing you can always count on is ham. The stores seem to be well stocked, but in the smaller communities the bars will have all the bocadillos you both can eat.
I got to thinking about my own dog, as I have to limit the days I go into the back country with her as she packs her own food. For 2 days, any longer I am her mule.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@diggs usually my advice for those thinking of taking a dog is to strongly advise against it. Some dogs get very stressed on the Camino because they are constantly on alert (being always on the territory of other dogs) and, just like people, they develop sore feet and physical problems. It is hard enough for the humans to avoid injuries; dogs can't really let you know when they develop a hot spot. Taking a dog is adding far more responsibility and difficulty than most people realise.

Having a service dog is a little different and I can understand how important it may be to have your dog along.

I think you need to prepare the way. It might be helpful to email ahead and also get soundings from albergues to find out their attitude. @Rebekah Scott on this forum lives on the meseta and is actively involved in the hospitalero network, so she would be a good person to talk to.

Pack medical supplies for your dog and be prepared to wait out any injuries, fatigue - and maybe bad weather. Good luck and buen camino!

Hello UT, great list! THANKS FOR SHARING! Pretty much what I carried when I did Kilimanjaro back in August. Since I'm also doing the French route, this is very helpful. What time of year are you planning to travel? When you say 2 or 3 season bag, I'm assuming something like a 20 degree bag is what you are talking about? I've also seen a lot of folks talking about bedbugs! Yikes! Any problem with those you've experienced? Mosquitoes? Thank you! Cheers!

Hi @diggs - a Labradear Retriever, a delightful breed. Did you take him to Africa/Kilimanjaro? As a dog obedience & tracking trainer, I would second @Kanga's advice regarding planning ahead and preparing the Way. Would any of the Friends of Camino groups along the Way be able to assist with information? Definitely pack canine medical supplies and see what veterinary services are available. I always plan for the worst and then expect the best. We met several dogs walking the Camino with their owners out of St Jean Pied de Port. Most of the dogs had some soreness or problem with their paws. Given that you already hike with Arthur, I assume that he is well conditioned but I would recommend, if you aren't already across them, checking out some dog boots, just in case. I've used some for my two on endurance runs (I've always had golden retrievers but currently dogless) as well as for 3 week horse drawn caravan holidays.

Is Arthur OK coping with a hot climate? Being black he may be more susceptible to sunstroke on hotter days. Something to consider.

We all have opinions here but only you can know yourself and how important your service dog is to your Camino. Weigh up the advice and concerns offered and make your own decision. I'm sure that Arthur knows how to handle himself with any aggressive canines. That would be my main concern.

PS we met this little chap in Granon - he crossed the Pyrenees with his master but, being small, was also carried some of the Way.

D012_079.JPG

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @diggs - a Labradear Retriever, a delightful breed. Did you take him to Africa/Kilimanjaro? As a dog obedience & tracking trainer, I would second @Kanga's advice regarding planning ahead and preparing the Way. Would any of the Friends of Camino groups along the Way be able to assist with information? Definitely pack canine medical supplies and see what veterinary services are available. I always plan for the worst and then expect the best. We met several dogs walking the Camino with their owners out of St Jean Pied de Port. Most of the dogs had some soreness or problem with their paws. Given that you already hike with Arthur, I assume that he is well conditioned but I would recommend, if you aren't already across them, checking out some dog boots, just in case. I've used some for my two on endurance runs (I've always had golden retrievers but currently dogless) as well as for 3 week horse drawn caravan holidays.

Is Arthur OK coping with a hot climate? Being black he may be more susceptible to sunstroke on hotter days. Something to consider.

We all have opinions here but only you can know yourself and how important your service dog is to your Camino. Weigh up the advice and concerns offered and make your own decision. I'm sure that Arthur knows how to handle himself with any aggressive canines. That would be my main concern.

PS we met this little chap in Granon - he crossed the Pyrenees with his master but, being small, was also carried some of the Way.

View attachment 22007
Hello Meri, Arthur did not make the Kili trip with me, I was there three weeks, one out on the Serengeti, I was afraid he might become part of the food chain.

The heat is an issue I am weighing, he tends to get hot when the temps are over 75 degrees F. He has Ruffwear boots which we have just started using. We will be doing a lot of snowshoeing this season and will give them a try in the snow and on pavement/rock trails.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Hi Diggs,
I'm going to be starting in SJPP in May also, so I'll watch for you - doggie or not.
Buen Camino, whatever you decide,
Annie
What is your start date? Looks like you have a lot of experience and know when to miss the crowds?

Diggs

I am assuming you will feed him what you find along the way, as packing dog food will just be too heavy. So your food bill will be interesting as well. One thing you can always count on is ham. The stores seem to be well stocked, but in the smaller communities the bars will have all the bocadillos you both can eat.
I got to thinking about my own dog, as I have to limit the days I go into the back country with her as she packs her own food. For 2 days, any longer I am her mule.

Hello MT, I'm thinking I will being with ten pounds of dog food and restock as necessary. Ten pounds should last at least 7 days. My packs usually range in the 35 - 60 pound arena when I travel. Of course the high end is not always desirable. The ham is a great idea. He is a Lab and will eat anything, but does enjoy a ham bone once in a while.

Cheers!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Meri, Arthur did not make the Kili trip with me, I was there three weeks, one out on the Serengeti, I was afraid he might become part of the food chain.

The heat is an issue I am weighing, he tends to get hot when the temps are over 75 degrees F. He has Ruffwear boots which we have just started using. We will be doing a lot of snowshoeing this season and will give them a try in the snow and on pavement/rock trails.

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!
Diggs

Just a warning the temps can reach the 90s in April not very often but usually you will see 80s Mornings will be your best time to scoot along

Hello MT, I'm thinking I will being with ten pounds of dog food and restock as necessary. Ten pounds should last at least 7 days. My packs usually range in the 35 - 60 pound arena when I travel. Of course the high end is not always desirable. The ham is a great idea. He is a Lab and will eat anything, but does enjoy a ham bone once in a while.

Cheers!
Your a better man than I something to consider if you try to book ahead (ask the host of were you are staying) they have a very good system in place to send packages forward every day. Might be worth sending the heavy food forward. I never tried it but many on the forum have. If you mess up on forwarding it to far the dog gets to feast on human food.

What is your start date? Looks like you have a lot of experience and know when to miss the crowds?

I'll be leaving SJPP around May 10 with my group.
We'll walk up to Orisson, then taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, we'll taxi up and walk over the hill.
So I'll be there May 10 and May 11.
We will be staying at Gite Compostelle if you'd like to connect. :)

To miss the crowds, I'd suggest you start midweek and walk "in between" the Brierley or other guide stages.
If you find yourself in a wave of pilgrims, just hang back a bit or stop earlier to let them pass.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Crikey! So many negative responses!!

Don't you worry about it Diggs. I saw plenty of dogs on the Camino this year, plenty. They seem to really love it out there - four legs is a lot easier than two - and long distances is what they are designed for - think of wolf packs following prey herd migrations. I did not meet one dog or owner who was having a problem, not one.
You don't have to carry ten pounds of dog food, unless your dog eats ten pounds of food a day. Plenty of shops along the way, you only need to carry a couple of days supply. Thing is, due to their ancestry, missing a whole day or two of eating will not harm a dog at all as long as there is plenty of water (actually, the same goes for humans).

Good pilgrims went up and stroked them, all the time - the dogs were having the best of times ... not sure what the haters of living things did.

Everyone I saw with a dog (or dogs) carried a lightweight tent so that they could camp in refugio gardens. However, yours is a working aid dog and I guess that you are asking if refugios will let you in with one. Well, what if there were a blind pilgrim with an aid dog? I don't know about hospitelaros but the answer from me would be "come in, both of you, you are welcome".

And ......

A MAN AND HIS DOG
A man and his dog were walking along the Camino. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that his faithful dog had been dead for many years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. As he reached the wall, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch, and the street that led to the gate made from pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water? We have traveled far," the man said.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment, remembering all the years this dog remained loyal to him and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going. After another long walk he came to a plain dirt road, which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water? We have traveled far."

"Yes, sure, there's a tap over there." The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in and help yourself."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to his dog.

"There should be a bowl by the tap; he is welcome to share."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned tap with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. We're just happy that they screen out the folks who'd leave their best friends behind in exchange for material things."

Buen Camino. ;)

Davis that is a great story. And Diggs it sounds like Arthur has a lots of experience in hiking and travel. Whatever your decisions is

Buen Camino

Ultreya

Good luck with your dog in Spain. I do remember on my way to the Persian Gulf, during one of my military contracted flights (civilian airliner) we had one golden retriever flying from Naval Air Station Norfolk VA all the way to the Navy Air Terminal in Rota Spain.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went (Will Rogers).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Davis that is a great story. And Diggs it sounds like Arthur has a lots of experience in hiking and travel. Whatever your decisions is

Buen Camino
Ultreya

I have walk the long English (Ferrol to Santiago ) and short Portuguese (Porto to Santiago). Did the first April/May and the second September /October. I used a light weight but still heavy and bulky 2 season bag and carried a fleece liner. No issues with the cold, like you I live in cold country. My next camino is the a French route next April and May. I'm just taking a Sea to Summit travelers blanket (it zips up and has draw strings at foot and head). Weighs 1 pound and compresses to the size of a grapefruit.
Bed bugs, I have never had a problem with them but then I have walked the caminos less traveled. It's my understanding that they are a issue on the French routes but then they're a problem in the 4 star hotels in San Francisco. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Good to know that you're across the Ruffwear boots everyone that has them say that the dogs love them. There is a website that you are probably aware of - Assistance Dogs International - that has a listing for Spain with contact emails. This may of use to your planning.

Out of interest, which route did you take up Kili? We dawdled for 9 days along the Lemosho Route which was fabulous because it was so isolated until we joined up with the others at the Barranco Wall. It's such an amazing place - that final walk to the summit just blew me away. I didn't realise that the Snows of Kilimanjaro were actually glaciers. We went to the edge of the volcano and there was the smell of sulphur. Had to scree ski down from the summit to beat a storm. Next day we flew back to Nairobi and saw the summit from our seats.

If you need a service dog you are entitled to take him with you. Anywhere you can walk your dog can walk. It would be a good idea to contact the Spanish Embassy or the main Spanish Tourist Board who would be able to advise on the exact laws concerning service dogs. But as Spain is a modern European country I would not think it a problem...
Your main concern as a dog owner would be access to water - and if on the Camino Frances that shouldn't be a problem, so that your dog can cool down. Be prepared to stop and siesta in severe midday heat (dogs can't sweat) and carry a stout stick or a dog tazer type of defence in case of attack by guard dogs. Having been attacked myself on the Via Aurelia - the two dogs went straight for my older dog - my husband had to kick them both in the head to stop them (rottweilers!) I now carry a 'baton' when in a country it is legal to...
If Spanish law allows service dogs -( and I am pretty sure we are all subject to the European law covering that) then albergues would have a duty to allow you both in. Indeed many albergues I have been to have 'disabled' or 'family' rooms set aside for such situations. That way others who may have allergies or are fearful of dogs are not put out. You may sometimes have to stay in private accommodation. Most Spanish shops sell dog food and all sell lots of meat!
My dog is now past the age of pilgrimage, but he enjoyed a last few days on the Aurelia last year (except for the rotties!) He now lies on his bed dreaming of his past glories - cycling up the UK coast, jumping trains in London and wandering the pilgrimage route to Glastonbury - such lovely memories, so many biscuits n bones...

Good to know that you're across the Ruffwear boots everyone that has them say that the dogs love them. There is a website that you are probably aware of - Assistance Dogs International - that has a listing for Spain with contact emails. This may of use to your planning.

Out of interest, which route did you take up Kili? We dawdled for 9 days along the Lemosho Route which was fabulous because it was so isolated until we joined up with the others at the Barranco Wall. It's such an amazing place - that final walk to the summit just blew me away. I didn't realise that the Snows of Kilimanjaro were actually glaciers. We went to the edge of the volcano and there was the smell of sulphur. Had to scree ski down from the summit to beat a storm. Next day we flew back to Nairobi and saw the summit from our seats.

Hi Meri,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding taking my dog with me. It is still up in the air on my end. I do worry about the heat, not the actually distance.

Regarding Kili, we took the Machame Route, AKA, Whiskey Route. 5 1/2 days up, 1 1/2 down. On summit morning, we left our camp at Kosovo (16,500) at 4 AM and summited at 10:00 AM. Very cold until the sun popped up, as you know. I loved being able to see the curvature of the earth!

I was surprised with the number of teams around us. We had 24 in our group, 20 made it. We saw a lot of people having to come down. One German team completely collapsed and some came down on stretchers, others were being assisted. They had rudely passed us on the second day in a hurry, came down on the third, just before Barranco Wall.

Coming down was the worst part of the whole experience for me. Knees were on fire.

After the climb we took small planes and flew out to the Serengeti for five days of safari. I then took 9 days on Zanzibar. Got some diving in and hung out on the beach.

My Camino is still up in the air. I am in the basic planning stages now. I am thinking May, French route, start at SJPP. Do it all in one trip. I have plenty of time.

Cheers!

I have walk the long English (Ferrol to Santiago ) and short Portuguese (Porto to Santiago). Did the first April/May and the second September /October. I used a light weight but still heavy and bulky 2 season bag and carried a fleece liner. No issues with the cold, like you I live in cold country. My next camino is the a French route next April and May. I'm just taking a Sea to Summit travelers blanket (it zips up and has draw strings at foot and head). Weighs 1 pound and compresses to the size of a grapefruit.
Bed bugs, I have never had a problem with them but then I have walked the caminos less traveled. It's my understanding that they are a issue on the French routes but then they're a problem in the 4 star hotels in San Francisco. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

THANKS, UT! This is all good information. I realize I am on the short time for planning this if I am doing May, so everything helps. Cheers!

Hi Meri,

Thanks for the encouragement regarding taking my dog with me. It is still up in the air on my end. I do worry about the heat, not the actually distance.

Regarding Kili, we took the Machame Route, AKA, Whiskey Route. 5 1/2 days up, 1 1/2 down. On summit morning, we left our camp at Kosovo (16,500) at 4 AM and summited at 10:00 AM. Very cold until the sun popped up, as you know. I loved being able to see the curvature of the earth!

I was surprised with the number of teams around us. We had 24 in our group, 20 made it. We saw a lot of people having to come down. One German team completely collapsed and some came down on stretchers, others were being assisted. They had rudely passed us on the second day in a hurry, came down on the third, just before Barranco Wall.

Coming down was the worst part of the whole experience for me. Knees were on fire.

After the climb we took small planes and flew out to the Serengeti for five days of safari. I then took 9 days on Zanzibar. Got some diving in and hung out on the beach.

My Camino is still up in the air. I am in the basic planning stages now. I am thinking May, French route, start at SJPP. Do it all in one trip. I have plenty of time.

Cheers!

Hi again Diggs
Living in South Australia we're used to extreme heat and have often trained for Himalayan treks and climbs in 40℃ here. Our goldies would be OK up to about 32℃ and then wilt. On the Camino you will always have the option of walking early morning if hot weather is predicted. We walked the Camino Frances this year in April and May and only had a day or two that was a bit hot.

Kili is definitely a bit Wild West. We were there in 2007 and summited from Barafu Camp, left at midnight and were on top for sunrise. Funniest/weirdest/most concerning sight was the porters dragging a partially conscious client probably suffering from altitude up along the summit ridge, posing him fully unconscious in front of the summit sign and then taking him back down on one of the rescue trolleys. Would love to see that photo!

After Kili, none of the Camino ascents or descents should pose you much of a problem. We took the direct route down to Roncevalles and didn't really notice. You may find the down from the Alto del Perdon is a bit rough and constant but not Kili steep. Really enjoyed the long up to O Cebreiro too. We'd strapped our knees for Kili descent but managed the Camino without need for any knee support but always walk with poles.

We safari ballooned across the Masai Mara and crashed on the Tanzanian border just in time to catch one of the migration river crossings. Spent months travelling across Africa. The wildlife and amazing light - and white wines - will always stay with me. As does the Camino but for so many different reasons.

I suggest, if it has not already been mentioned above:

1. Some airlines do not accept pets in the cargo hold during certain months of the year or at all, out of concern for the dog's health. I am aware that some service animals are permitted under US Federal regulations to fly in the cabin. European laws and regulations may differ. Check this out. Please do not rely on anecdotal information no matter how well-intended

2. Check out the EU web sites (available in English), as well as the French Embassy, and Spanish Embassy web sites in Washington, DC to find a link discussing importation of pets and specifically dogs. Also, check the EU, French and Spanish embassy sites for links discussing service animals. You can use Google Translate to convert French and Spanish to English easily.

3. I strongly recommend that your dog have an internationally compliant microchip installed. We had our cats chipped on moving to Belgium some years ago. If you have an e-mail or cellular number that someone in Europe can message or call you to state they found your dog, update the registry service to reflect this information.

3. Make sure your dog wears a tag that specifies he/she is a service animal. The tag should also state in CAPITAL LETTERS "Microchip." I recommend on the reverse of the side with the "Service dog - NAME." If the tag is large enough, your cellular / mobile phone number should be included.

4. Carry a printed statement, in English, French, and Spanish that states that the dog is a service animal for someone suffering from emotional conditions and that the dog is a critical component of the owner's successful treatment. As a formal / official service animal, this dog is permitted in all places of accommodation and eating.

I hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That's interesting, I always assumed that the empire of the eu had all reaching powers and uniform laws throughout. Rather pleases me (I can't wait until our referendum and we get out of the eu!!!)

kathar1na!
Why on earth would you think that?
Why would you decide to believe that I would be against helping those who are disabled?
What on earth has been the process in your mind that has brought you to even imagine that I would be such a person?
Katherina, you have saddened me that you could even think that, let alone share your thought in public. :(

What amased me in all this conversation is so many people who do not own service dogs advised someone who clearly has for many years dealt and worked with such a dog. Suggestions of buying "dog food" in supermarkets? Fear of How,they will do in the hold? These are highly trained,dogs, and so are their owners. And BTW, many dogs cannot Cope with a Quick change in diet, so What the super market sells when it come to "dog food" is not useful, amd ham.... Highly processus and salty, can't imagine that will help,with thirst and Hydration. Lots of ras meet and fish available in the larger towns, so perhaps typical Brierly shops would be best.,

I see that there are two organisations - Assistance Dogs Europe and the European Guide Dog Federation - who are lobbying in Brussels for a Europe wide law to ensure that assistance dogs have full access to all public places throughout Europe but it seems that they haven't got very far yet with their lobby work and I take it that you would not support their campaign?

... and after this excursion into the wider world back to Spain and the Camino now :)!
I have now added a ";)" to my message, David. My line of thought was that you can't be in favour of lobbying in Brussels - the lobbyists' capital of the world - for EU laws and be against EU laws made by Brussels at the same time :D. And now really back to Spain and the camino!

We aren't allowed to discuss politics so I suppose I should never have mentioned wanting to leave the eu. I am not against good eu laws, nor lobbying for them, but against the concept of political union, a superstate run by the Germans. I would point out that the eu isn't a nation one can come from but an increasingly uneasy collection of individual nations. If you would like to discuss our differing viewpoints let us pm each other.
Regardless of my stance re the eu I would never be in favour of anything that reduced or did not champion the rights of people (and their dogs - cats even).
All is well.
Agree - back to the Camino ;)

Hello Diggs, it sounds as though you and Arthur would be good ambassadors for the service animal community. I, for one, would love to see more four-footed friends along the path. Since Arthur is a service dog, his presence on the camino is really not an option for you, rather like a walking stick -- if you absolutely need one, this is not a whim.

Since you are in the planning phases of your camino, perhaps now is a good time to do some research for plane and train regulations, and albergues and other places to stay overnight along the Camino Frances. I think with a lot of foresight and planning you and Arthur should be able to walk and complete the camino. Maybe Arthur can earn his own compostella?

Hopefully, you and Arthur can pave the way for others to walk the camino with their service animals and not have to give up their dream.

I wish you both blessings.

p.s., If you do end up walking with Arthur, you MUST post pictures!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, and David? My computer screen thanks you for the coffee I just spewed on it from laughing at the prilgrim dogs picture.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What amased me in all this conversation is so many people who do not own service dogs advised someone who clearly has for many years dealt and worked with such a dog. Suggestions of buying "dog food" in supermarkets? Fear of How,they will do in the hold? These are highly trained,dogs, and so are their owners. And BTW, many dogs cannot Cope with a Quick change in diet, so What the super market sells when it come to "dog food" is not useful, amd ham.... Highly processus and salty, can't imagine that will help,with thirst and Hydration. Lots of ras meet and fish available in the larger towns, so perhaps typical Brierly shops would be best.,
You & I both own dogs, how we feed them is our individual process. I am sure Diggs has his own requirements figured out.
I know if I give my dog something that doesn't sit well my reward is flatulance. So I trust Diggs has this figured out.

You & I both own dogs, how we feed them is our individual process. I am sure Diggs has his own requirements figured out.
I know if I give my dog something that doesn't sit well my reward is flatulance. So I trust Diggs has this figured out.
Didn't I just say he didn't need people who know zip about dog Tell him What to do?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hello Anemone, thank you for sharing your thoughts. What I read here are thoughts from people who wish to express their concerns regarding the health of my dog and for that I am thankful. Any suggestions to better this trip are welcomed, as are yours! Cheers!

Hello Anemone, thank you for sharing your thoughts. What I read here are thoughts from people who wish to express their concerns regarding the health of my dog and for that I am thankful. Any suggestions to better this trip are welcomed, as are yours! Cheers!
You are a good and patient man.

kathar1na!
Why on earth would you think that?
Why would you decide to believe that I would be against helping those who are disabled?
What on earth has been the process in your mind that has brought you to even imagine that I would be such a person?
Katherina, you have saddened me that you could even think that, let alone share your thought in public. :(

Hi David, I know you have nothing but good thoughts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Diggs, it sounds as though you and Arthur would be good ambassadors for the service animal community. I, for one, would love to see more four-footed friends along the path. Since Arthur is a service dog, his presence on the camino is really not an option for you, rather like a walking stick -- if you absolutely need one, this is not a whim.

Since you are in the planning phases of your camino, perhaps now is a good time to do some research for plane and train regulations, and albergues and other places to stay overnight along the Camino Frances. I think with a lot of foresight and planning you and Arthur should be able to walk and complete the camino. Maybe Arthur can earn his own compostella?

Hopefully, you and Arthur can pave the way for others to walk the camino with their service animals and not have to give up their dream.

I wish you both blessings.

p.s., If you do end up walking with Arthur, you MUST post pictures!

HI Susan, thanks for the forethoughts on travel. I am looking into everything that is suggested. If we do walk together we will post pictures here and on his Facebook page "Arthur Barker Black."

I suggest, if it has not already been mentioned above:

1. Some airlines do not accept pets in the cargo hold during certain months of the year or at all, out of concern for the dog's health. I am aware that some service animals are permitted under US Federal regulations to fly in the cabin. European laws and regulations may differ. Check this out. Please do not rely on anecdotal information no matter how well-intended

2. Check out the EU web sites (available in English), as well as the French Embassy, and Spanish Embassy web sites in Washington, DC to find a link discussing importation of pets and specifically dogs. Also, check the EU, French and Spanish embassy sites for links discussing service animals. You can use Google Translate to convert French and Spanish to English easily.

3. I strongly recommend that your dog have an internationally compliant microchip installed. We had our cats chipped on moving to Belgium some years ago. If you have an e-mail or cellular number that someone in Europe can message or call you to state they found your dog, update the registry service to reflect this information.

3. Make sure your dog wears a tag that specifies he/she is a service animal. The tag should also state in CAPITAL LETTERS "Microchip." I recommend on the reverse of the side with the "Service dog - NAME." If the tag is large enough, your cellular / mobile phone number should be included.

4. Carry a printed statement, in English, French, and Spanish that states that the dog is a service animal for someone suffering from emotional conditions and that the dog is a critical component of the owner's successful treatment. As a formal / official service animal, this dog is permitted in all places of accommodation and eating.

I hope this helps.

GREAT SUGGESTIONS, TOM!

I might be wrong, I often am (yes, I'm aware of that!:)) but I think that "non-doggie" people might be missing just how wonderful dogs are ... they aren't just fur covered creatures that eat at one end and waste at the other, they really do have similar emotions to us as well as individual personalities, they are quite wonderful. Dogs seem to see only the best in us; although this sounds anthropomorphic I think they understand love better than we frail humans do ... anyway, for those who have shown concern about them having to walk so far on Camino I think I have found the answer! (Diggs, you will have to show Arthur this video!! ;))

Last edited:
Hi Diggs
I wish you a buen Camino no matter wht you decide, but my two cents as a vet w PTSD and a dog lover: do not take your dog. Yes, you may be entitled to, but you've shown by your kili climb that you can travel without him, even in big crowds, when you felt it might be a risk for him. There are aggressive strays and fiercely protective herd dogs on the Camino, you will come nose to nose with bulls, cross fields that could have ticks, and lots of roads with trucks that have often come close to hitting pilgrims (and sadly on occasion succeeded). You may have to spend more nights in hotels, which is more costly (and if you want the fellowship/albergue experience, counter-productive). People you might want to visit with might be allergic to dogs, or they may themselves have ptsd triggered by dogs--and I know you wouldn't want to hurt others in your healing process.

You can manage the stresses of the Camino by choosing wisely in when/where you walk, the airport with when/how you fly...something to consider, it will be risky for your dog, and he will have the additional stress of coping with the continually challenging environment daily for 60 days nonstop, PLUS working to keep you safe as you deal with the Camino. He will be "on duty" 24/7 for two months taking care of you, while managing his own reaction to strange noises, people, landscape, sleeping/eating arrangements, aggressive animals on THEIR home turf...

Like you, I am not a dog person and as I have friends with service dogs and among those who have trained them, would agree with you. However, I also know people who have been attacked by dogs and are terrified around any dog. For this reason and on account of hygienic considerations and a lack of understanding of service dogs (which is increasing in Spain, but is not universal), Diggs will likely have to avoid most albergues and stay in hotels and pensions. He should also check out the Spanish rules for the entry of dogs from North America-- while I know that UK rules are very strict, I am not up on Spanish rules.

I would wonder if Diggs, given his needs, might be better off with a human companion, but that is just a thought for consideration. I have friends for whom their service dogs are important and so I am sorry be less than encouraging (especially as Labs are the breed with which I am most comfortable) but I wonder if I do not agree more with Smallest Sparrow on this. It is very tough for a dog.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Happy Trails
I'm also trying some light and heavy bike rider sleeves.

Here is photo of relatively spacious accommodations in Xunta Albergue at O Cebreiro.

Camino de Santiago 2012 466.jpg

When full there would be 100 people staying here. I'm not sure how you would keep a dog here without it getting underfoot.

GREAT SUGGESTIONS, TOM!

You are quite welcome. I try to provide useful information, suggestions, recommendations and advice to the maximum extent possible. My experience includes decades of intercontinental travel with a pet, though not a service animal, per se. I also lived in Europe with my accompanying US pets for several years and am aware of those relating issues. In the same vein, I try to avoid hyperbole and off the cuff opinions where not warranted.

All said, I hope my post provided some good ideas for you to consider. It would be a bad start to your Camino to have a problem with your trusted friend and companion at the outset.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All, I have a legitimate service dog who travels with me. Anyone know about the implications of taking a dog on this route?

Hi there- The American Pilgrims on the Camino website (americaniplgrims.com, FAQs page) offers this concerning certified service dogs:
You are afforded wide privileges with the airlines and in Europe while traveling with a certified service dog (not a self-certified emotional support dog). In short, in Spain by law guide dogs must be accepted everywhere. Hospitaleros have no choice in whether or not to admit such a service animal. Several sources of information on regulations and requirements are:

Hi there- The American Pilgrims on the Camino website (americaniplgrims.com, FAQs page) offers this concerning certified service dogs:
You are afforded wide privileges with the airlines and in Europe while traveling with a certified service dog (not a self-certified emotional support dog). In short, in Spain by law guide dogs must be accepted everywhere. Hospitaleros have no choice in whether or not to admit such a service animal. Several sources of information on regulations and requirements are:

Hello Gene, thank you! Great information! Cheers!

I still think negatives aren't valid unless they are from a dog owner who has gone on Camino with their dog, but that is just me.

But!! - Here is proof that service dogs aren't always excluded but actually welcomed in some refugios. I took this video (no I didn't) at a refugio where a service dog and the refugio dog shared a pilgrim meal. Ok, you can hear the human pilgrims eating in another room, but these two seemed quite content to have their own table and they seemed very well-behaved - I can't see what all the fuss is about!

Last edited:
I still think negatives aren't valid unless they are from a dog owner who has gone on Camino with their dog, but that is just me.

But!! - Here is proof that service dogs aren't always excluded but actually welcomed in some refugios. I took this video (no I didn't) at a refugio where a service dog and the refugio dog shared a pilgrim meal. Ok, you can hear the human pilgrims eating in another room, but these two seemed quite content to have their own table and they seemed very well-behaved - I can't see what all the fuss is about!

David - I agree with your first sentence in your post, and I LOVE the video! I can imagine quite a number of albergues would welcome these two lovely doggins! ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'll be leaving SJPP around May 10 with my group.
We'll walk up to Orisson, then taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, we'll taxi up and walk over the hill.
So I'll be there May 10 and May 11.
We will be staying at Gite Compostelle if you'd like to connect. :)

To miss the crowds, I'd suggest you start midweek and walk "in between" the Brierley or other guide stages.
If you find yourself in a wave of pilgrims, just hang back a bit or stop earlier to let them pass.

Hello Annie,
Question... Looking at your first day.
So, is walking up and taxiing back down then taxiing up to walk over the hill, a standard procedure? Is it because the length of time to reach the summit makes hitting the next town impossible?

Hello Annie,
Question... Looking at your first day.
So, is walking up and taxiing back down then taxiing up to walk over the hill, a standard procedure? Is it because the length of time to reach the summit makes hitting the next town impossible?
No, it's very possible to make it up and down in one day. I would think that very few people have thought about this taking bit back and forth, I learned about it here. But it's a great idea in my opinion, if you really think you cannot make it up in one days. It's not easy, but short and round me made it by 4pm, walking in the rain, a total of 9 Hours. Every step of the way I kept thinking I would never make it. If most people did it there would be a terribl bottle neck in SJPP.

No, it's very possible to make it up and down in one day. I would think that very few people have thought about this taking bit back and forth, I learned about it here. But it's a great idea in my opinion, if you really think you cannot make it up in one days. It's not easy, but short and round me made it by 4pm, walking in the rain, a total of 9 Hours. Every step of the way I kept thinking I would never make it. If most people did it there would be a terribl bottle neck in SJPP.

It sounds like the way you do it, you get a head start on the folks who will be competing for space in the next town, plus your team won't be beat to pieces to start the journey. Nine hours for the first leg. Yikes!

It sounds like the way you do it, you get a head start on the folks who will be competing for space in the next town, plus your team won't be beat to pieces to start the journey. Nine hours for the first leg. Yikes!
You got the jist of it! Yes, a tough first day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.