• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Services provided by hospitaleros

Lirsy

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Hi!

I am right now in an albergue as hospitalero.

It really surprise me how few pilgrims use the services that the hospitaleros can provide.

In my opinion, it is a little shocking that almost no any pilgrim ask about which are the difficulties in the next stages, wich could be the adventages or disadvantages of finalizing the next stage in one town or in another, interesting monuments, history, etc.

If you count with experienced free advisors, it looks to me a little crazy not to use them.

I am referring more to volunteer hospitaleros (that must be pilgrims before becoming hospitaleros) than to comercial hospitaleros.

By the way .... Please reduce the weight of your backpacks! You wouldn't believe what backpacks I have seen here!:eek:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lirsy, I am sure that you are making the most of this opportunity to 'give something back' to the Camino in your Hospitalero service. I see that you are from Asturias, and so you are probably very well informed about the geography, history and architecture, culture etc. Try not to be disappointed. It is important to be ready to respond, but not to insist on what pilgrims ought to want to know. You are not a pilgrim when you are a Hospitalero. Your place is different. if you have a shared meal, that is where you might take an initiative, encouraging pilgrims to share their good experiences, or their immediate plans for the next day...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with all what you said.

I am just meaning that being here and the pilgrims knowing that you can provide them information, they do not use that facility.

For sure I don't consider convenient to try to press the pilgrims with information that may want or not. In that, they have to take the initiative.

Unfortunately in this albergue, being a quite large albergue, there is not any pilgrims dinner.:confused: anyhow, time by time, I prepare a queimada! ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lirsy, glad to see your response. And of course you know how to be a Hospitalero, otherwise you would not be there! I am sure the queimada is MUCH appreciated!

I have really appreciated volunteer hospitaleros and always try to talk with them and thank them for taking time from their lives to provide this service. I mention a few: the Dutch volunteer seniors at a Roncevalles March 20, 2017 (washed, dried, folded my laundry with much care), Marc a French volunteer at Cazadilla de Los Hermanillos (CF 2017) who drew by hand a map of the village showing the market, church, etc, called the mayor tomopen the church for us and also the town grocer to open his store and provided info on the route out of town; Roberto at the Pola de Siero municipal (on the Primitive Camino before Oviedo) March 2018 who also drew a variant route map to Oviedo for pilgrims which proved to be a very delightful stage. Personally as a 60year old, I find in general that the young pilgrims (20-35 year olds) usually rely on themselves and rarely think that we older pilgrims have anything to offer Them. That’s just my personal experience

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a final reflection and following my previous comments on this topic:

It is curious that the pilgrims who speak more to you, ask more questions, seek more for advice, etc. are the experienced pilgrims! The end result is that they taught me many things. Probably many more things than what I taught them!

Now the organization asked me to go for some days to the albergue in Trabadelo (21/05 to 07/06) ... I have to take care not to become a professional hospitalero!! ;)

Unfortunately in this albergue, being a quite large albergue, there is not any pilgrims dinner.:confused: anyhow, time by time, I prepare a queimada! ;)

I am sure little by little Queimada is becoming the unofficial drink of Caminos in Spain and Portugal, I have seen it offered many times over the years but it seems that everyone is looking for it now.

I am sure little by little Queimada is becoming the unofficial drink of Caminos in Spain and Portugal, I have seen it offered many times over the years but it seems that everyone is looking for it now.
Tsk! Tsk! There is only Orujo for the true pilgrim. Quiemada is for tourists :) :)
Out of politeness I would accept it of course.😇

Samarkand.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After my initial service as a hospitalero, I will be a completely changed pilgrim when staying at albergues in the future. Totally agree with you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In what way, specifically?
Now I realize that hospitaleros are actually on a Camino journey themselves, not physically walking but internally (emotionally, psychologically, mentally) - what called them to serve? What are their insights to pilgrimage? I plan to spend some time ministering to their needs and not simply taking the help they provide as a non-reciprocated gift.

Additionally, I recognize now that hospis really do become experts of what’s available in the village they are in, as well as what lies ahead in the next few stages. Having reverse-walked before, I see that I should have shared my newly-gained knowledge of open/closed albergues and trail conditions with them so that they could pass it on to others.

Finally, often they share their contact information, so I wish I had updated them when I finished my Camino. Hospis invest in their temporary “wards” and it takes so little to send them a photo from SdC with a simple “I made it!” and a thank you for their assistance on completing the journey, no matter how small it may have been.

There may be no greater service to fellow humans than following the directions of Matthew 25 (Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, abd so on) - I think recognizing that as a pilgrim recipient and thanking the one who provided for me is the least I can do in return.

Quiemada is a ritual. Orujo is a drink. Please don’t conflate 😉
in that case I will not be sharing MY ritual! :) as to conflate just looked it up and feel that QUIEMADA would not be such WITHOUT the drink! :) samarkand

Now I realize that hospitaleros are actually on a Camino journey themselves, not physically walking but internally (emotionally, psychologically, mentally) - what called them to serve? What are their insights to pilgrimage? I plan to spend some time ministering to their needs and not simply taking the help they provide as a non-reciprocated gift.

Additionally, I recognize now that hospis really do become experts of what’s available in the village they are in, as well as what lies ahead in the next few stages. Having reverse-walked before, I see that I should have shared my newly-gained knowledge of open/closed albergues and trail conditions with them so that they could pass it on to others.

Finally, often they share their contact information, so I wish I had updated them when I finished my Camino. Hospis invest in their temporary “wards” and it takes so little to send them a photo from SdC with a simple “I made it!” and a thank you for their assistance on completing the journey, no matter how small it may have been.

There may be no greater service to fellow humans than following the directions of Matthew 25 (Feeding the hungry, housing the homeless, abd so on) - I think recognizing that as a pilgrim recipient and thanking the one who provided for me is the least I can do in return.
Thanks for your response to VNwalking. As a hospitalera from some years ago, I know that there has to be an element of open hands. Like sand runs through your fingers, so do pilgrims. They appear, and go on their way. We are not the first people to experience that! Such is human nature. What you have seen though, is a gift for you and for the albergues you will contact. The hospitaleros, in the parochial system, are there for two weeks at a time...the messages remain on a wall, in a notebook.. so do report back!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, particularly for this, @Vacajoe:
Hospis invest in their temporary “wards” and it takes so little to send them a photo from SdC with a simple “I made it!” and a thank you for their assistance on completing the journey, no matter how small it may have been.
It would not have crossed my mind that hospis might actually remember any of the grains of sand who run through their fingers. There are certainly a few hospis I wish I had written my thanks to after various caminos, because they really did make a difference. Next time.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.