Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Set to go on March 25th ???????

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I believe I am ready to go on my Journey. I will be leaving on March 25th from SJPdP. I do expect to encounter the unexpected. That being said, I do have at least four lingering questions/concerns. The first being the weather. This one I will leave to chance and hope the sun smiles warmly upon me. Next, I am slightly concerned about Albergue's being open this early in the season. Can someone offer some insight on this question? Next, financials. How much cash should I carry? Are there ATM's in everytown or only the larger cities. Is a debit card the right card tocarry? Any insight here would be appreciated. Finally, Communication. I do not speak Spanish. Will this be an impediment to my journey? Are there key phrases, questions I should learn?

Thanks again to all for your insight and I look forward to my journey and the people I will meet along the path.

Joe Flavin

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

grayland

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Yes
I will be about 10 days ahead of you, Joe. I do not expect you to have much problem with the albergues being open...although last year we encountered some without heat turned on yet. :shock:
It is all part of the Camino experience and there is always the private albergues, hostels, and small hotels. You will be fine.
I usually carry a 2 to 3 hundred Euro with me. Others seem to think that they may be robbed at any time and carry less. :? Just be as careful as you would be at home traveling and you will not see any problems.
There are ATM's in any fair size town and, of course in the cities. I would recommend that you take out an adequate amount each time to save on the fees. You can always carry it in your underwear if you don't feel safe. :lol:
Many Pilgrims do not speak either Spanish or English and get by very well. You will not have any serious problems and will get very good a charades. The people along the way are used to non-Spanish speaking Pilgrims and for the most part will find a way to communicate with you.
Enjoy your Camino. Every challenge you encounter will enrich your memories.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads