• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Set to go on March 25th ???????

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I believe I am ready to go on my Journey. I will be leaving on March 25th from SJPdP. I do expect to encounter the unexpected. That being said, I do have at least four lingering questions/concerns. The first being the weather. This one I will leave to chance and hope the sun smiles warmly upon me. Next, I am slightly concerned about Albergue's being open this early in the season. Can someone offer some insight on this question? Next, financials. How much cash should I carry? Are there ATM's in everytown or only the larger cities. Is a debit card the right card tocarry? Any insight here would be appreciated. Finally, Communication. I do not speak Spanish. Will this be an impediment to my journey? Are there key phrases, questions I should learn?

Thanks again to all for your insight and I look forward to my journey and the people I will meet along the path.

Joe Flavin

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be about 10 days ahead of you, Joe. I do not expect you to have much problem with the albergues being open...although last year we encountered some without heat turned on yet. :shock:
It is all part of the Camino experience and there is always the private albergues, hostels, and small hotels. You will be fine.
I usually carry a 2 to 3 hundred Euro with me. Others seem to think that they may be robbed at any time and carry less. :? Just be as careful as you would be at home traveling and you will not see any problems.
There are ATM's in any fair size town and, of course in the cities. I would recommend that you take out an adequate amount each time to save on the fees. You can always carry it in your underwear if you don't feel safe. :lol:
Many Pilgrims do not speak either Spanish or English and get by very well. You will not have any serious problems and will get very good a charades. The people along the way are used to non-Spanish speaking Pilgrims and for the most part will find a way to communicate with you.
Enjoy your Camino. Every challenge you encounter will enrich your memories.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back