• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting Intentions

Char Wolf

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from SJPP (Spring 2018), Portuguese from Porto (Fall 2018)
My topic of discussion is INTENTION as I am in the process of fine tuning mine even though the original intention to commit to walking this year arose quite spontaneously. I awoke from a deep sleep on January 4th, 2018 as an inner voice boldly announced. "I'm walking the Camino!" I gathered gear, listened to audios and entertained logistics. I arrived in Jerusalem for two weeks on March 28th with family and another week in Barcelona with friends. I am beginning the formal Camino Francais the week of April 16.

Over lunch in Barcelona, my wise and worldly friend conveyed the surrendered importance of setting a bold and clear intention. I welcome your feedback on the role of setting intentions and surrendering to outcomes. And the magic in walking with a sense of wonder and an open heart.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There needs to be something that makes you put one foot in front of the other. Intentions may work. I have found that expectations do not. Bill Bryson became my inspiration when he pointed out that walking the
Appalachian Trail is completely optional. Knowing that I can quit any time leaves me free to take one more step. Some seem to find a religious or spiritual inspiration drives them to take that step, but I don't think I could do it if I though I had to do it. :)

I have 'the plan', but have left myself free to play about with 'the plan' all the way to Cacabelos (must get there on 25th June). After that I must stick to 'the plan'. Got all albergues from Sarria to Santiago booked, and then must complete Camino Finisterra in 3 days if I want to make my flight home.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Guess you can say I have the intention to be somewhere at a certain time/date, but also have the intention of leaving a little room to take it as it comes. Of course I have the full intention of completing 'the plan'.

I think the less you think the clearer you are.
The less you plan the freer you are.
The less you speak the more you learn. The more you learn the more you learn what to listen for and to.
That’s just what I think haha. Just take one step at a time And walk your own Camino. You don’t need families.
The Camino is your family because as the sign says somewhere at that Cowboy Cafe wherever that is, together we walk alone.

Intend for everything to work out as it should, then let go and allow opportunities and openings to come your way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My topic of discussion is INTENTION as I am in the process of fine tuning mine even though the original intention to commit to walking this year arose quite spontaneously. I awoke from a deep sleep on January 4th, 2018 as an inner voice boldly announced. "I'm walking the Camino!" I gathered gear, listened to audios and entertained logistics. I arrived in Jerusalem for two weeks on March 28th with family and another week in Barcelona with friends. I am beginning the formal Camino Francais the week of April 16.

Over lunch in Barcelona, my wise and worldly friend conveyed the surrendered importance of setting a bold and clear intention. I welcome your feedback on the role of setting intentions and surrendering to outcomes. And the magic in walking with a sense of wonder and an open heart.

Walking with a sense of wonder and an open heart,,,,, you have a fellow spirit here.

As for intention on a Camino, well, I'm happy for my intent to always be to walk in the moment and enjoy where I am, who I am with, why I am there and for me, most importantly, what is that I can see, hear, smell, touch and feel at that moment.

Buen (well-intentioned) Camino

Is there an issue, or an ongoing problem, or health challenge that burdens you? That´s your intention. Each time you see a waymark, a chapel, or a symbol that means something to you, return to your intention, and offer it up to the light.
Your intention will probably evolve or change throughout the camino as your burden shifts and lifts.
And at the end, you can give thanks and leave that weight behind, having done all you could to help relieve it.

Ah, it's the last sentence that's the secret...walking with a sense of wonder and an open heart. I'm a firm believer in listening to those first waking thoughts of the morning. They mean something. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beautiful thread Char Wolf - thank you.

My intention is very simple - to take joy in every step on those ancient, sacred and magical paths.

Buen Camino from Oz - Jenny

My “intentions” were only to get up each day and to walk with open eyes, heart and mind. To “see” what came along the way (within and without), to “listen” to my feelings, my thoughts, my intuitions and to respect those of others, to choose my reactions, to “be” in my Camino and to receive its gifts, pleasant and unpleasant alike. Before I started, I knew that it would be best to walk without the burden of expectations. May you have Beauty and Joy and Wonder in your World and along your Way, and may your eyes and your heart be open to see and to receive them. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back