• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting off late March

robertt

Hi all. I'm Rob from Australia. 61 this May.

Hoping to leave from Le Puy about March 24 to arrive in St Jean before mid-May. I'll have a light but complete pack. I know I'm starting early, but I'd rather snow than heat, though I train in heat. The experience of a May heat-wave in Siena, when I tramped sections of the Via Francigena and expIored the Crete Senesi, made me realise I'm a cool weather walker. (Fortunately, June was cool.)

I've always like the option of a little tent and Trangia cooker, and LED lights are now so good that a night's reading in the wilderness is no prob. Mind you, I'm happy to splurge on demi-pension when available.

Beating any possible Easter rush is also in my mind. All up, I'm hoping for a leisurely and cool trip, with rest days.

I've already had some kind help at the intro forum, but any advice would be welcome.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Safe travels Robert,

Maybe a little hip flask with bundy and in memory of Dick Francis a novel.

Arrive healthy,
D

Thanks for the wishes, Thornley.

My schedule is the same but I'm now planning to leave behind the tent etc. Most seem to do without, and the spring weather is likely to make camping a bit tough. Still, if I ever get to do the Via Francigena, the tent will be useful.

I'm booked into a hotel near Gare de Lyon on Sunday 21st March. I'd like to book a couple of nights now in the Capucins in Le Puy. Or am I okay just to show up on Le Puy this time of year? Also, anyone know if I'm likely to have trouble getting a train to Le Puy if I just get a ticket one day in advance at the Gare?

Well, in ten days I'll be standing by the Tour de St Jacques, ready for the French half of the Camino. Maybe next year I can go from St Jean to Compostela. Maybe, if all goes well, I can find four months to go from Vezelay to Compostela!

I've been reading many of your entries on these forums, Kiwi Nomad's blog etc and have found them very handy. So thanks to all.

Rob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
robertt said:
I'm booked into a hotel near Gare de Lyon on Sunday 21st March. I'd like to book a couple of nights now in the Capucins in Le Puy. Or am I okay just to show up on Le Puy this time of year? Also, anyone know if I'm likely to have trouble getting a train to Le Puy if I just get a ticket one day in advance at the Gare? Rob
Hi Robert, All the best for your Chemin which is so very close now!
Since you are already certain of your dates, it wouldn't hurt to book in the Capucins gite now. You are far enough ahead of Easter that I can't forsee any problem getting a train ticket the day before. It's quite possible you can't reserve a seat on the slower train that will take you into Le Puy itself- sometimes you can't book on regional services, just purchase a ticket.
Bonne route!
Margaret

Thanks, Margaret. I'll take your advice.

As you know, it's very un-Australian to flatter Kiwis, but I love your blog! It's been part of my inspiration to get up and go.

Looking at your entry on Conques, I may spend a week there, since I've planned for up to three spare weeks.

Again, many thanks for all the info and tips you post.

Rob

robertt said:
As you know, it's very un-Australian to flatter Kiwis, but I love your blog! It's been part of my inspiration to get up and go.Rob
:D :D :shock: lol You have given me a laugh to start the day Robert!!!!
Conques is quite small really...... though very beautiful....
Enjoy your Chemin!
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Rob
will be just one week behind you,I have booked the "capucins" for one night March 30th-they required card details and if you cancel within 4 days you still pay a third,booked train also from gare de lyon-upper tier change at saint ettienne (excuse spelling).
take care enjoy and if you can clear all the mud from the way-I would be greatfull.
Ian

Not long to go. Can't clean the mud away for you, Sagalouts...you'd be able to see the bamboo spikes I'm leaving so no-one can overtake me.

Fly out tomorrow. Stopover in Singapore where I'll gorge disgracefully on my favourite hawker foods. One night in Paris, then on the Le Puy next Monday. I booked the Capucins as advised.

You guys have been great.

Hooroo

Rob

Just a note to say I've finished after reaching Pamplona from Le Puy. The experience was up to all expectations and I'll be keeping a date with the saint in Finisterre some time soon.

I caught up with Sagalouts in Conques, saw the Kiwi's photo in Moissac at Ultreia...among a thousand other happy encounters.

By the way, the Nomad's time of forty-something days is toast! I took over fifty days to reach St Jean. I truly think my time will stand as a beacon to all loafers, dawdlers and shirkers for decades to come on the road from the Big Lentil.

I'm even planning a blog called Slowcamino, but haven't started yet because I'm, well, slow. Hope to pop in on your own blogs soon. Will also post on some practical matters on relevant forums. Biggest mistake was taking wrong poncho to Aubrac plateau.

...rob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Rob,
You know how to make a girl laugh!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and that we are two of a kind: you weren't that much slower than me. People kept quoting the hare and the tortoise legend at me in France...... but the tortoise did reach the end!
I'll be interested to hear about that wrong poncho for Aubrac: I definitely got chilled there on my very wet 'first' day of the crossing, but I saw some of Sagalouts photos with lots more snow on there than when I crossed it.
Glad you saw my favourite Irish in Moissac!
Margaret

PS, Ian just made a blog post, only 15km out from Santiago. http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com/

KiwiNomad06 said:
Hey Rob,
You know how to make a girl laugh!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time, and that we are two of a kind: you weren't that much slower than me. People kept quoting the hare and the tortoise legend at me in France...... but the tortoise did reach the end!
I'll be interested to hear about that wrong poncho for Aubrac: I definitely got chilled there on my very wet 'first' day of the crossing, but I saw some of Sagalouts photos with lots more snow on there than when I crossed it.
Glad you saw my favourite Irish in Moissac!
Margaret

PS, Ian just made a blog post, only 15km out from Santiago. http://sagalouts-theroadtonowhere.blogspot.com/
I talked to Ian yesterday... he made it well, a bit tired but all ok. :)

Saludos,
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back