• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting off on Monday June 16

Charrito

Veteran Member
This will be my first Camino Inglés, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I first got the Camino 'bug' seven or eight years ago when I did the Camino Francés from Ponferrada to Santiago. Since then, I've done the Camino Portugués twice (both times from Tuy), and I also walked from Santiago to Fisterra one summer.

Every time I go the weather is ridiculously hot, so I think that the Xunta de Galicia should employ me in their tourist section!

I'll be arriving in Ferrol by train (the FEVE from Asturias) on Sunday June 15. As I'm a bit too old for albergues these days (and I like/need a bit more comfort), I've gone for hostals, pensions and hotels. I'll be staying in the Hotel Silva on the Sunday night, but will walk down to the port and back again to make sure I get all the kilometres in!

My plan is as follows:

Monday June 16: Ferrol to Pontedeume. No cheating (no going across the road bridge)! Lunch on the beach in Cabanas and then spend the night in the Hostal Allegue in Pontedeume.

Tuesday June 17: Rest day! Yes, I know I've only just started, but I don't want to arrive in Santiago until Saturday morning. Depending on the weather, I might go back across the bridge to Cabanas beach, or take a trip to the Fragas de Eume National Park. If the Hostal Allegue is ok, I'll stay another night there; if not, I'll try Bar Luís.

Wednesday June 18: Pontedeume to Betanzos. I've booked a room at the Hotel Palacete de Betanzos, but the price is a bit a steep and I may well cancel it and stay in one of the bars in the town (Chocolateira Betanzos seems a good bet).

Thursday June 19: Betanzos to Mesón do Vento. By all accounts, this is quite a long and difficult stage, but I have no worries. Lunch in Casa Julia (if it's open!) and then on to Mesón Novo, which has such great reviews.

Friday June 20: Mesón do Vento to Sigüeiro. Actually, I've booked a room in the Hotel San Vicente, a few kilometres south of Sigüeiro. I will definitely stop for a meal in the (in)famous Hostal Miras, but the rooms don't appear to be as good as the food!

Saturday June 21: Hotel San Vicente to Santiago. This will now be a relatively short stage, and I should have no problem getting the Compostela and making the mass in the cathedral.

If any of you are going to be around during this time, I hope to share a coffee/beer with you.

¡Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked slightly different stages in Apr, starting at the albergue in Covas, and staying in albergues except in Ferrol and at Sigueiro. Like you, I had six days, so walked around the headland from Covas to Ferrol on the first day. It is a great walk, and I have put some track notes into the resources section on the route. I used the CSJ guide for the Camino Ingles proper, and didn't have a problem with any of the way marking. I didn't go into Meson Novo, so I am not sure how well marked it is, but it doesn't appear that difficult.

I hope you enjoy your pilgrimage.

I walked slightly different stages in Apr, starting at the albergue in Covas, and staying in albergues except in Ferrol and at Sigueiro. Like you, I had six days, so walked around the headland from Covas to Ferrol on the first day. It is a great walk, and I have put some track notes into the resources section on the route. I used the CSJ guide for the Camino Ingles proper, and didn't have a problem with any of the way marking. I didn't go into Meson Novo, so I am not sure how well marked it is, but it doesn't appear that difficult.

I hope you enjoy your pilgrimage.

Thanks for the message, Doug.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This will be first Camino Inglés, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I first got the Camino 'bug' seven or eight years ago when I did the Camino Francés from Ponferrada to Santiago. Since then, I've done the Camino Portugués twice (both times from Tuy), and I also walked from Santiago to Fisterra one summer.

Every time I go the weather is ridiculously hot, so I think that the Xunta de Galicia should employ me in their tourist section!

I'll be arriving in Ferrol by train (the FEVE from Asturias) on Sunday June 15. As I'm a bit too old for albergues these days (and I like/need a bit more comfort), I've gone for hostals, pensions and hotels. I'll be staying in the Hotel Silva on the Sunday night, but will walk down to the port and back again to make sure I get all the kilometres in!

My plan is as follows:

Monday June 16: Ferrol to Pontedeume. No cheating (no going across the road bridge)! Lunch on the beach in Cabanas and then spend the night in the Hostal Allegue in Pontedeume.

Tuesday June 17: Rest day! Yes, I know I've only just started, but I don't want to arrive in Santiago until Saturday morning. Depending on the weather, I might go back across the bridge to Cabanas beach, or take a trip to the Fragas de Eume National Park. If the Hostal Allegue is ok, I'll stay another night there; if not, I'll try Bar Luís.

Wednesday June 18: Pontedeume to Betanzos. I've booked a room at the Hotel Palacete de Betanzos, but the price is a bit a steep and I may well cancel it and stay in one of the bars in the town (Chocolateira Betanzos seems a good bet).

Thursday June 19: Betanzos to Mesón do Vento. By all accounts, this is quite a long and difficult stage, but I have no worries. Lunch in Casa Julia (if it's open!) and then on to Mesón Novo, which has such great reviews.

Friday June 19: Mesón do Vento to Sigüeiro. Actually, I've booked a room in the Hotel San Vicente, a few kilometres south of Sigüeiro. I will definitely stop for a meal in the (in)famous Hostal Miras, but the rooms don't appear to be as good as the food!

Saturday June 20: Hotel San Vicente to Santiago. This will now be a relatively short stage, and I should have no problem getting the Compostela and making the mass in the cathedral.

If any of you are going to be around during this time, I hope to share a coffee/beer with you.

¡Buen Camino!

Lunch a menu del dia in restaurant YELLOW oposite the beach in Cabanas. Just opened. We had a great time there 3 weeks ago !

The albergue in Betanzos is brandnew. Clean ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401226657.874356.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401226704.950938.jpg

Hope for you bar Julia is open. First time we were there ,it was. Second time it was clised but fortunately a young man appeared, we could drink something and got the stamp.

Give our regards to the parents of the owner of o Meson Novo. These people are realy nice and caring. From the Dutch people. We were there 3 weeks ago.

We slept in Miras in Sigüeiro. Filthy place and did not eat there either. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401227120.186215.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1401227196.010273.jpgWhen you step out the door of Miras and turn right after about 50 meters is a restaurant that servesa menu del dia for 9,50. € Great and full of Spaniards ,that means the food is good.

Sigüeiro to Santiago is approx. 17 kms.

Buen camino

@Albertinho sorry to hear you didn't like Miras. I stayed there, and found it okay, and a pleasant place to eat with a great view of the passing crowds. Admittedly its a pretty plain establishment, but it appeared clean and tidy when I was there.

If the OP is staying at San Vincente, the final leg should be about 12 km.

Regards,

Thanks for the message, Doug.
From Meson Novo is no marking but when you leave the main entrance of the Meson Novo cafeteria to the left and than first road to the left and head about 500 meters, Keep right on the junction and you'll pass a footballground at your left side. Keep on about two kms till you arrive at a junction with a bigger road. This is the road coming from Bruma. At this junction to the right where you find the camino markings again.
Buen camino

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Albertinho sorry to hear you didn't like Miras. I stayed there, and found it okay, and a pleasant place to eat with a great view of the passing crowds. Admittedly its a pretty plain establishment, but it appeared clean and tidy when I was there.

If the OP is staying at San Vincente, the final leg should be about 12 km.

Regards,
So we all have our experiences Dougfitz :)

Lunch a menu del dia in restaurant YELLOW oposite the beach in Cabanas. Just opened. We had a great time there 3 weeks ago !

The albergue in Betanzos is brandnew. Clean View attachment 10301View attachment 10302

Hope for you bar Julia is open. First time we were there ,it was. Second time it was clised but fortunately a young man appeared, we could drink something and got the stamp.

Give our regards to the parents of the owner of o Meson Novo. These people are realy nice and caring. From the Dutch people. We were there 3 weeks ago.

We slept in Miras in Sigüeiro. Filthy place and did not eat there either. View attachment 10303View attachment 10304When you step out the door of Miras and turn right after about 50 meters is a restaurant that servesa menu del dia for 9,50. € Great and full of Spaniards ,that means the food is good.

Sigüeiro to Santiago is approx. 17 kms.

Buen camino

Thanks, Albertinho. I'll take all your suggestions on board!

Doug or Albertinho:

Do either of you know anything else about when Casa Julia opens? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you might need to phone up beforehand if you want to eat. Failing that, I recall that there's another bar at the top of the steep hill after Casa Julia. However, I've read that it's either 200 metres, 300 metres or 1 kilometre off the track. It reminds me of this one between Caldas de Reis and Padrón on the Camino Portugués. Approximately 49 metres, the sign says! Well, I measured it . . . . and it's 298 metres!!!Camino2013 231.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Charrito, post:

Both places, Cabanas beach and Fragas do Eume are interesting to visit. Cabanas is a nice beach surrounded by pine trees in Pontedeume.

Fragas do Eume Natural Park (Not National) is a big oak forest crossed by river Eume. The distance between Pontedeume and Caaveiro Monastery, which is the point more visited in the Park is 13 kms. You can go there walking or by taxi. Another possibility is going by taxi to the Interpretation Center, that is in the middle, and walking around 6 kms to the monastery. To return to Pontedeume you can tell the taxidriver the hour and the place to take you back.

Bo Camiño.

"Charrito, post:

Both places, Cabanas beach and Fragas do Eume are interesting to visit. Cabanas is a nice beach surrounded by pine trees in Pontedeume.

Fragas do Eume Natural Park (Not National) is a big oak forest crossed by river Eume. The distance between Pontedeume and Caaveiro Monastery, which is the point more visited in the Park is 13 kms. You can go there walking or by taxi. Another possibility is going by taxi to the Interpretation Center, that is in the middle, and walking around 6 kms to the monastery. To return to Pontedeume you can tell the taxidriver the hour and the place to take you back.

Bo Camiño.

Thanks! I've been to Cabanas beach before (by car), but have never visited the Natural (you're right, NOT National!) Park of Fragas de Eume. It depends on the weather: if it's nice, I might chill out by the beach (I seem to recall that there are a couple of chiringuitos, a hotel or two and some other bars and shops), but otherwise I might get to the Park.

This will be first Camino Inglés, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Wednesday June 18: Pontedeume to Betanzos.

Thursday June 19: Betanzos to Mesón do Vento.

Friday June 19: Mesón do Vento to Sigüeiro.

Saturday June 20: Hotel San Vicente to Santiago.

¡Buen Camino!

Hi Charrito
Probably just a typo, and I'm not 'picking ', but in case you've made bookings with sat in mind, did you notice you have sat June 20. Sat is June 21.

Buen camino
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Charrito
Probably just a typo, and I'm not 'picking ', but in case you've made bookings with sat in mind, did you notice you have sat June 20. Sat is June 21.

Buen camino
Annie

Just a typo, Annie! I've actually got the dates for Friday and Saturday wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Doug or Albertinho:

Do either of you know anything else about when Casa Julia opens? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you might need to phone up beforehand if you want to eat. Failing that, I recall that there's another bar at the top of the steep hill after Casa Julia. However, I've read that it's either 200 metres, 300 metres or 1 kilometre off the track. It reminds me of this one between Caldas de Reis and Padrón on the Camino Portugués. Approximately 49 metres, the sign says! Well, I measured it . . . . and it's 298 metres!!!View attachment 10314
They don't even know theirselves when they are opened :)
On the way to Bar Julia we saw some waymarkers and a telephonenumber pinned to a tree
i phoned for reserving a meal but the number is not correct. I stood in front of their closed door and phoned. The number I read on the forum Nobody answered. Take food and beverages with you on your way to Bruma to be sure

They don't even know theirselves when they are opened :)
On the way to Bar Julia we saw some waymarkers and a telephonenumber pinned to a tree
i phoned for reserving a meal but the number is not correct. I stood in front of their closed door and phoned. The number I read on the forum Nobody answered. Take food and beverages with you on your way to Bruma to be sure
My experience was similar, although when I got there they were open and I was able to get something to eat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From Meson Novo is no marking but when you leave the main entrance of the Meson Novo cafeteria to the right and than first road to the left and head about 500 meters to a junction. There left and you'll pass a footballground at your left side. Keep on about two kms till you arrive at a junction with a bigger road. This is the road coming from Bruma. At this junction to the right where you find the camino markings again.
Buen camino
Albertinho, when we left Meson Novo we turned left out of the cafe, then first left downhill, kept straight on past the crossroads that came up from Bruma. Carried on until a T junction where we turned right and so joined the Camino coming from Bruma.
After Casa Julia the next bar at Vizoño (if it is open again) is about 300 metres off the Camino but you could follow arrows from the bar to get to the Camino again without going back.
Buen Camino

You are right. I have as it seems a problem with right and left :).
Luckely on my walking socks stand the letter L for left and R for right but even than i wore them at the wrong foot. Ha ha. But the people from Meson Novo pointed us out
Thank for correcting me tia Valeria

Another question for you experts!

How steep is this climb from Casa Julia up to Vizoño? Surely it can't be as hard as the one from Vega de Valcarce/Las Herrerías up to O Cebreiro on the Camino Francés.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are right. I have as it seems a problem with right and left :).
Luckely on my walking socks stand the letter L for left and R for right but even than i wore them at the wrong foot. Ha ha. But the people from Meson Novo pointed us out
Thank for correcting me tia Valeria
Steep ! I can not compare to other hills, only the Alto do Portelo on the Portugese between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaës. Sorry

Last edited:

How steep is this climb from Casa Julia up to Vizoño? Surely it can't be as hard as the one from Vega de Valcarce/Las Herrerías up to O Cebreiro on the Camino Francés.

Steep, think the climb out of Castrojeriz, but no killer. A long steady climb up through forest, shaded ( or sheltered from wind & rain ) a few hundred metres after the climb there is a picnic spot and fuente on the left. The water is "no potable" but great for a rinse down if you have a bit of a glow on. The owner of the finca on the right at the top of the road will proudly fill water bottles from his spring "mas bueno, sin chimica" he will assure you.

Steep, think the climb out of Castrojeriz, but no killer. A long steady climb up through forest, shaded ( or sheltered from wind & rain ) a few hundred metres after the climb there is a picnic spot and fuente on the left. The water is "no potable" but great for a rinse down if you have a bit of a glow on. The owner of the finca on the right at the top of the road will proudly fill water bottles from his spring "mas bueno, sin chimica" he will assure you.

Thanks, although I don't know anything about the climb out of Castrojeriz (I started the Camino Francés in Ponferrada).

If Casa Julia is open and serving meals, it's probably not a particularly good idea to have something like cocido gallego then, if the climb starts immediately after you come out of the bar!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You get a few hundred metres to settle your lunch, but a caldo could well add to the challenge :)

John Walker's guide says the climb is about 350 metres in 3 k. I recall a long steady climb without any exceptionally steep bits and well within the capabilities of a 60 year old with a minor heart condition.

Bar Julia was closed when we reached it but they responded promptly and smilingly to a vigorous rattle of the door. Bocadillos only but met our needs nicely.

The Ingles is a lovely route, enjoy!

You get a few hundred metres to settle your lunch, but a caldo could well add to the challenge :)

John Walker's guide says the climb is about 350 metres in 3 k. I recall a long steady climb without any exceptionally steep bits and well within the capabilities of a 60 year old with a minor heart condition.

Bar Julia was closed when we reached it but they responded promptly and smilingly to a vigorous rattle of the door. Bocadillos only but met our needs nicely.

The Ingles is a lovely route, enjoy!

I might well give them a ring the day before to see if they're going to be open. It will be a Thursday, so it might be a bit difficult.

I remember all too well (on the Camino Francés) stopping in a bar/restaurant just before Ribadiso da Baixo for lunch. It seemed like a great idea at the time, and I had a real blowout meal, together with some guys from Zamora. They were more sensible than me, as they were staying in the albergue just down the road (by the river), but I told them that I wouldn't have any problems getting to Arzúa! I should have kept my mouth shut, as it was a seriously steep climb up for ages. The 40 degree heat didn't help, and neither did the vast amount of food I had consumed! I got to Arzúa eventually, but I was shattered!

That depends on what you think 'hard' is. I checked my GPS tracks from this year (Camino Ingles) and 2010 (Camino Frances). In both cases, the major climb is about 7 km long, and on average, the climb to O Cebreiro is about twice as steep as the climb to Vinzono. But the maximum slopes on the climb to O Cebreiro as not as steep as those a little after Casa Julia. There is a kilometre or so of really tough climb, but it then levels out far more than the climb into O Cebreiro.

Regards,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
These things all depend a bit on where you choose to take measurements. On my GPS track, the steepest part was a climb of 154m in just over 1 km.

I had a rest day in Miño and enjoyed it! The beach is nice and there's a 30 Euro Pension on the main drag just out of the downtown area. Fernando the owner serves a killer MDD!

I had a rest day in Miño and enjoyed it! The beach is nice and there's a 30 Euro Pension on the main drag just out of the downtown area. Fernando the owner serves a killer MDD!

Thanks.

I will probably stop off in Mino for lunch, as the stage from Pontedeume to Betanzos shouldn't be too taxing. If it's nice, then a swim is definitely a possibility.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found this on another forum (I know it's in Spanish, but I'm sure you'll be able to understand it). Can anyone verify that these bars actually exist????????? I found the one near the football pitch in Limiñón.

Entre Betanzos y Bruma hay unos 26km de camino por zona muy rural: pequeñas aldeas, en las que casi no hay más que unas casas y la iglesia, y ninguna tienda, casi no hay bares ni otros servicios. También hay pocas fuentes, y es mejor no beber en ellas. Por eso es mejor comprar la comida, y agua, para ese mediodía, en Betanzos.
A unos 10 km después de Betanzos se llega, siempre subiendo, a Limiñon, junto a un campo de fútbol, que está en la cumbre de la subida. Aunque el camino sigue dejando el campo de fubtol a la izquierda, antes de pasarlo podemos desviarnos unos 200m a la izquierda, hasta la carretera, y veremos un bar. Luego hay que volver al campo de fútbol. Unos 2 km más adelante, en Cos, pasando la iglesia y el crucero de piedra, al salir a la carretera, que cruzaremos, hay otro bar.
Luego, pasamos Presedo y Leiro. En esta segunda aldea hay un bar, algo desviado del camino, en la carretera. Mejor seguir algo más y al llegar a San Paio de Vilacoba hay otro bar "Casa Julia", que tiene unas tapas que ya son famosas. De allí, luego de la subida más pronunciada por el monte, llegamos a Vizoño. Cerca de la iglesia, a unos 200m del camino, hay otro bar. Es todo lo que hay entre Betanzos y Bruma.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found this on another forum (I know it's in Spanish, but I'm sure you'll be able to understand it). Can anyone verify that these bars actually exist????????? I found the one near the football pitch in Limiñón.

Entre Betanzos y Bruma hay unos 26km de camino por zona muy rural: pequeñas aldeas, en las que casi no hay más que unas casas y la iglesia, y ninguna tienda, casi no hay bares ni otros servicios. También hay pocas fuentes, y es mejor no beber en ellas. Por eso es mejor comprar la comida, y agua, para ese mediodía, en Betanzos.
A unos 10 km después de Betanzos se llega, siempre subiendo, a Limiñon, junto a un campo de fútbol, que está en la cumbre de la subida. Aunque el camino sigue dejando el campo de fubtol a la izquierda, antes de pasarlo podemos desviarnos unos 200m a la izquierda, hasta la carretera, y veremos un bar. Luego hay que volver al campo de fútbol. Unos 2 km más adelante, en Cos, pasando la iglesia y el crucero de piedra, al salir a la carretera, que cruzaremos, hay otro bar.
Luego, pasamos Presedo y Leiro. En esta segunda aldea hay un bar, algo desviado del camino, en la carretera. Mejor seguir algo más y al llegar a San Paio de Vilacoba hay otro bar "Casa Julia", que tiene unas tapas que ya son famosas. De allí, luego de la subida más pronunciada por el monte, llegamos a Vizoño. Cerca de la iglesia, a unos 200m del camino, hay otro bar. Es todo lo que hay entre Betanzos y Bruma.
On the Betanzos Bruma leg we only found bar Julia
And as I remember a vendingmachine with some (expensive ) drinks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Look at my blog on the other thread of the camino ingles. I wrote it down with pictures and so on

Thanks, Albertinho. I've read through your excellent blog and seen your great photographs.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same! But I will definitely be on the lookout for places to stop off for refreshments between Betanzos and Bruma. I've been hunting on different maps and have found several places, not just Casa Julia. There's no way I can survive around 30 kilometres without stopping for a coffee, fruit juice or beer!

Thanks, Albertinho. I've read through your excellent blog and seen your great photographs.

Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same! But I will definitely be on the lookout for places to stop off for refreshments between Betanzos and Bruma. I've been hunting on different maps and have found several places, not just Casa Julia. There's no way I can survive around 30 kilometres without stopping for a coffee, fruit juice or beer!
Buen camino and probably we will read about your experiences.

Big problem! My boots (which have faithfully been with me for over 8 years) finally decided to give up yesterday. This means that I've had to buy some new ones (Chiruca Gore-tex, practically the same as the old ones) and I do not have too much time to break them in!

I haven't had a single blister since my first Camino, but am now starting to panic!

Any suggestions?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bar Julia is usually closed when we pass but last time a young girl said they open at 1pm and the bar at Vizono which is directed off the camino has definitely closed down.

Bar Julia is usually closed when we pass but last time a young girl said they open at 1pm and the bar at Vizono which is directed off the camino has definitely closed down.

Thanks for the information! I'll try to get to Casa Julia a bit later then!

From what I've found, it's not true that there are no places between Betanzos and Casa Julia. A slight detour to the left by the Football field in Limiñon brings you to Cafe Bar O Camionero, on the main road. There are other bars in Cos and Leiro (this one a bit off the camino).

I plan on visiting all these establishments and will hopefully be able to post the information and photos here.

Big problem! My boots (which have faithfully been with me for over 8 years) finally decided to give up yesterday. This means that I've had to buy some new ones (Chiruca Gore-tex, practically the same as the old ones) and I do not have too much time to break them in!

I haven't had a single blister since my first Camino, but am now starting to panic!

Any suggestions?
Bring your bike !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Right, I'm off to the north of Spain tomorrow (for a few days' holiday before starting the Camino Inglés). I'll be in Ferrol on Sunday afternoon, and will set off from there on Monday morning.

It looks like the weather is going to be pretty hot (as it has been every time I have done any of the Caminos!), so I will definitely stay for another day in Pontedeume, soaking up the sun and eating/drinking on the beach in Cabanas.

I'll see what I see, and will let you know what I come across - as far as bars/cafés are concerned - on the stage from Betanzos to Bruma.

Wish me luck!

Buen Camino.

My first CI I arrived in Ferrol on a Sunday afternoon and it was very quiet but it was winter. Might be worth looking around the harbour area and see if anything is going on, also checking the way out for Monday morning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be down by the port in the afternoon on Sunday. Plan to set off early on the Monday, breakfast in Neda, beach in Cabanas.

Here in Ferrol. It's really hot, and the forecast is the same for the next few days.

Just got my first stamp (dated tomorrow) from the little tourist office down at the port. Will walk back up to the Hotel Silva later and set off from there tomorrow.

Spotless room and great shower in the Hotel Silva. Extremely friendly and helpful people there.

Right, I need a cold Estrella!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sitting by the river in Pontedeume, soaking up the evening sun.

It's a long hike out of Ferrol, and not too interesting until you cross over to Neda. As recommended, I got stamps in the town hall and the Casa de Cultura, as well as in the town hall in Fene.

There are a few short steep climbs, but nothing frightening. The last few kilometros are a pretty fierce downhill slog, but worth it when you get to the lovely beach in Cabanas.

I'm staying in the Hostal Allegue: very clean, and super friendly people. 20 euros, shower en suite.

Fantastic 9 euro menu in Bar Luis. Highly recommendable. There are loads of bars and tascas in the old town.

As I don't need to get to Santiago until Saturday, I'll stay here tomorrow before heading for Betanzos.

A nice rest in Pontedeume yesterday, but I might have been better going on to Miño.

Today's stage from Pontedeume to Betanzos is definitely longer than I had read. It is also pretty tough, with some long steep climbs and tough downhill parts.

It's a nice stage, though. If it wasn't so incredibly hot I would have enjoyed it more.

Stop off in Cafe Bar Alameda, by Ponte do Porco, before heading up to cross the motorway.

Bar Noveda, at the bottom of a steep descent, is DEFINITELY OPEN, and a good place to stop before the long ascent to Matacabalos.

Very steep down to Betanzos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I said, this is a marvellous stage. 100% rural Galicia.

You get to walk on every imaginable type of surface. Few places to stop, and a difficult climb up to Vizoño, but worth it for the spectacular landscapes.

A bit of a climb out of Betanzos, but you're soon in a nice wooded area. The bar down from the football pitch seemed too far, so I didn't bother. Later, there's a sign pointing down (away from the camino) to 'bares 400 metros' and I met a girl who went down and had a good breakfast.

After 17 or so kilometres you find the oasis that is Bar Casa Julia. Amazing little bar, with a couple of dining areas as well. Being too early for lunch they made up vast bocadillos. Mine was half a loaf with hot crispy bacon and cheese. 3 euros!

The steep climb up starts just after Casa Julia. And it is steep. But nothing to alsrm you. After about 40 minutes you find a nice shaded area with tables, benches and cold water.

There are still 7 or 8 kms to Bruma, and some more climbs (nothing too fierce).

I stopped for a time in the albergue at Bruma, having a cold beer and chatting to others I had met today. I then walked on 1.5 kms to Mesón do Vento, where I'd booked a room in Pensión Novo. Incredible room, great people, highly recommendable.

More tomorrow!

Yesterday's stage, from Bruma/Meson do Vento to Sigüeiro, was not as scenic as the previous two or three days.

It's a fairly long stage, not helped by the lack of places to stop. The only bar open was Bar Novo, after an hour and a quarter. O Cruceiro, as we had been warned by Benigno in Bruma, doesn't open until much later. This is ridiculous, as they would do a great deal of business. As Albertinho posted, there is a vending nachine after 18 kms, selling overpriced cold drinks.

The last 7 or 8 kms into Sigüeiro are interminable, along an indulating but dead straight forest road. The final entrance into Sigüeiro is through a lovely park.

Plenty of life (and traffic!) in the town. I ate in Hostal Miras: pretty basic comedor, but an excellent menu del día.

I carried on to the Hotel San Vicente, another 4.5 kms. Decent place, though a bit expensive.

I'm now back home, after a tough but thoroughly enjoyable walk from Ferrol to Santiago.

It's a relatively short Camino, but some of the stages are long and there are some hard stretches. Nevertheless, it's a route I would definitely recommend, but probably not as your first Camino.

If anyone needs any more detailed information please don't hesitate to contact me by a private message.

Albertinho, I forgot to mention that I DID pass on your regards to the lovely family in Pensión Novo, Mesón do Vento. They certainly remembered you. What a great place, and what great people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.