• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Setting off

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
We're on our way to Spain! This time tomorrow, our feet will be on the Camino, somewhere between Irun and San Sebastián.

I'll probably do occasional, rather than daily posts here, I'm on instagram as @Nuala_Wanders and I also use Find Penguins, which is handy for family and friends who want to know where we are, but aren't interested in our Camino obsession!

I walked the first few days of this route in May, so I'm really looking forward to re-walking it with Damian. We have 18 walking days and no fixed plans, other than to make the most of it all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're on our way to Spain! This time tomorrow, our feet will be on the Camino, somewhere between Irun and San Sebastián.

I'll probably do occasional, rather than daily posts here, I'm on instagram as @Nuala_Wanders and I also use Find Penguins, which is handy for family and friends who want to know where we are, but aren't interested in our Camino obsession!

I walked the first few days of this route in May, so I'm really looking forward to re-walking it with Damian. We have 18 walking days and no fixed plans, other than to make the most of it all.

Hi Nuala, my husband is setting off tomorrow too, you may meet on the way :)
Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Nuala, Are you going to spend your first night in Hondarribia? :) Oh, the memories! Can't wait to hear about it, and I will be checking find penguins.
Hi Laurie, we're on a bus from Bilbao airport to San Sebastián at the moment. We're going to stay in San Sebastián for 2 nights - we'll get an early bus to Irun tomorrow morning and walk back again. Not how we normally do it, but it should work out ok.

We're looking forward to trying some of your coastal alternatives!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Laurie, we're on a bus from Bilbao airport to San Sebastián at the moment. We're going to stay in San Sebastián for 2 nights - we'll get an early bus to Irun tomorrow morning and walk back again. Not how we normally do it, but it should work out ok.

We're looking forward to trying some of your coastal alternatives!
I did this too! My second Camino!

Buen Camino Nuala!
We hadn't heard of Find Penguins.
We'll be following you, as we'll be walking the Norte next year at the same time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. We're enjoying the Norte - it's busy, but not too crowded.

Staying in San Sebastián for two nights worked really well for us. The 6.30am airport bus dropped us off in Amuté at 6.55 am. We started walking from there, rather than backtracking the short distance to Irun. It was easy to join the Camino by following the signs for the Capitan Tximista albergue.

We had glorious weather for the walk back to San Sebastián and as I admitted on another thread, we created an impromptu route by combining some of the lower trail, the 'alpinista' and the hillside in between the two. It was fun, but not for the faint-hearted.

We walked to Getaria on Day 2 and to Ibiri (Albergue Itzarbide) on Day 3. We stayed at the donativo pilgrim albergue in Markina last night, which was excellent. Gernika tonight.

We've had all kinds of weather - from torrential rain to beautiful sunshine. The trail is very muddy and slippy in places. We've used our full rain kit a few times, but I've also had two sea swims and am looking forward to some more when we hit the coast again.

We fly home from Santander on 1st October, unless Ryanair cancels that flight (as it did today). We won't worry about that just yet.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. We're enjoying the Norte - it's busy, but not too crowded.

Staying in San Sebastián for two nights worked really well for us. The 6.30am airport bus dropped us off in Amuté at 6.55 am. We started walking from there, rather than backtracking the short distance to Irun. It was easy to join the Camino by following the signs for the Capitan Tximista albergue.

We had glorious weather for the walk back to San Sebastián and as I admitted on another thread, we created an impromptu route by combining some of the lower trail, the 'alpinista' and the hillside in between the two. It was fun, but not for the faint-hearted.

We walked to Getaria on Day 2 and to Ibiri (Albergue Itzarbide) on Day 3. We stayed at the donativo pilgrim albergue in Markina last night, which was excellent. Gernika tonight.

We've had all kinds of weather - from torrential rain to beautiful sunshine. The trail is very muddy and slippy in places. We've used our full rain kit a few times, but I've also had two sea swims and am looking forward to some more when we hit the coast again.

We fly home from Santander on 1st October, unless Ryanair cancels that flight (as it did today). We won't worry about that just yet.
Thanks a lot for your posts. I am wondering how hilly or difficult did you find the stages from San Sebastian so far? I am going next year so glad of any info.

Hi Nuala,

That Santander flight on the 1st is not on the list of Ryanair cancellations. I was looking at booking the same flight on the 8th but went with Aer Lingus out of Bilbao on the 7th instead due to the uncertainty.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Nuala,

That Santander flight on the 1st is not on the list of Ryanair cancellations. I was looking at booking the same flight on the 8th but went with Aer Lingus out of Bilbao on the 7th instead due to the uncertainty.
Hi John, thanks so much for that information. Very thoughtful of you - we really appreciate it.

You're probably right to have avoided Ryanair, given all of those cancellations. It's so unfair on those who've been affected.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your posts. I am wondering how hilly or difficult did you find the stages from San Sebastian so far? I am going next year so glad of any info.

Hi @kerryabu, those first few days on the Norte are pretty tough. However, we're in our 50s and we managed ok. We could of course have made things easier by walking shorter stages.

This website has elevation maps for each stage, which will hopefully give you an idea of what's involved. If you do a bit of hillwalking at home before you go, you'll have no bother with it!

Hi @kerryabu, those first few days on the Norte are pretty tough. However, we're in our 50s and we managed ok. We could of course have made things easier by walking shorter stages.

This website has elevation maps for each stage, which will hopefully give you an idea of what's involved. If you do a bit of hillwalking at home before you go, you'll have no bother with it!
Nuala, thanks for advice and best wishes on the rest your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back