A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Setting Your Pace

While we're on the subject of equipment, I thought I would share a few suggestions about pacing yourself on a long hike that I've derived from various scouting & military friends that have worked for me.

1) When you first start out for the day, walk about twenty minutes then take a five minute break to see how your equipment is feeling that day. Check your boot laces to see if they're not too tight or too loose. Check you pack straps to adapt to any shifting of the contents from the previous day (especially since you never pack your kit the smae way twice).

2) Take a five to ten minute break every hour. Unsling your pack and give your legs a rest. Take your shoes off and air them out if you want. It's a marathon, not a race. Change socks as the need arises.

3) Change socks immediately if you feel a hot spot. The feeling will never just go away. In fact, it will get much worse.

4) Finally, I'll pass along an army saying that was probably first said by a Sumerian soldier and repeated by successive generations in armies throughout history: "Don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake if you can sleep."

Advertisment

JustRob said:
4) Finally, I'll pass along an army saying that was probably first said by a Sumerian soldier and repeated by successive generations in armies throughout history: "Don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake if you can sleep."
Or as my walking companion, Jofrid, said : Why be brave if it is enough to be smart... :wink:

Liv

WolverineDG

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Another addendum to the advice from the Sumerian: Never pass up the opportunity to use the restroom.

Trust me on this one.
dg

There's more...

The Sumerian had a few other insights as well:

1) The food is always bad.

2) The general (or some other officer in his chain of command) is an idiot.

WolverineDG said:
Another addendum to the advice from the Sumerian: Never pass up the opportunity to use the restroom.

Trust me on this one.
dg
A good pilgrim always go to the toilet when he/she can. Especially if there is toilet-paper. And soap. And paper-towels to dry your hands.
Wich there never really is. Only toilet.

So, bring your own roll of t-paper, and wet-wipes to wash your hands before eating.

Love from Liv who has survived toilets both in Azerbaijan and Nepal. :D

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June