• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seven days in France

ruimsig

My son and his wife intend to visit France in July 2018 and will have seven days to walk a section of the Camino. Although my wife and I have done several Caminos, these were all in Spain and we do not know the Camino routes in France very well. We know that there are many peregrinos out there who have extensive experience walking in France and who will be able to provide good advice. Please help? Thank you, Izak.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Izak, there are routes in France that join up with all of the main Spanish camino paths, normally named after their points of origin. For example the Chemin de Vezelay which begins in Vezelay (Latin name Via Lemovicensis), the Chemin de Tours (Via Turonensis), or the Chemin de Arles (called the "Via Tolosana" as it passes Toulouse).

The most popular by far is the Le Puy Camino (Via Podiensis), which starts in Le Puy-en-Velay near Lyon and joins up with the Camino Frances at St Jean Pied de Port. Unlike the Camino in Spain, there aren't as many pilgrim hostels, although there are "gites" all along the way (a lot more expensive than the albergues Spain, around €30 per night). It is recommended that you book in advance; the route is very popular especially with French groups. You can find lots of information about the Le Puy route on this forum.

Otherwise, this website is in Spanish, but they have information about all the stages and accommodation: https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-le-puy

The Le Puy route would be my suggestion. The best thing would be to start at Le Puy but I'm not sure 7 days will take you to somewhere you can leave easily. Perhaps for ease of entering and leaving by train, with 7 days between, Figeac to Condom? That is just a guess, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the French rail network to suggest other starting and stopping points.

The whole route is lovely - you can't really go wrong. I don't like Decazeville much, but it is only one town of about 30 minutes, and on one day I walked to Aire Sur L'Adour the fields were being sprayed with chemicals which was not too pleasant. Otherwise it was all really, really lovely.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Figeac to Cahors on the GR65, 5 days.
Figeac to Cahors via the Célé variant route 6 days. Train stations in both towns.

there are many lovely and beautiful parts on french routes.

- a week on via podiensis starting in le puy will get you into the valley of the lot river, perhaps even as far as estaing. you cross the spectacular aubrac plateau and visit some lovely historic towns. there is a daily pilgrim/hiker mini van transport to and from le puy as far as conques. you need to arrange the transport in advance (they also do backpack transport). it is advisable to book accommodation a day in advance on this part, because the stretch from le puy to conques is the most popular.

- a week on the beautiful célé variant of via podiensis from figeac to cahors. don't miss the pech merle cave paintings (reserve well in advance), chemin du halage and st cirq-lapopie. trains at both ends, and in between a sncf bus. reservations very advisable, as there is roughly one gite per town and it's not very big.

- on via tolosana perhaps the part between montpellier and castres that includes a big town, a beautiful gorge, a devil's bridge, two abbeys, and lots of hills. there is accommodation every day but the capacities were pretty small when I was there in 2009, so call ahead. both on the train line.

- perhaps a section on voie du piemont pyrenees between carcasonne and saint-lizier or saint-larry. I dont' know the first part, but later you walk through the amazing cavern of mas d'azil, sleep in an original pilgrim hospice, and can visit several frescoes of st jacques. this requires calling ahead to alert people you are coming. carcasonne is on the train line, but getting back requires a research for buses.

- and, even it's not a camino, a part of spectacular sentier cathare? I would recommend starting in tuchan or padern and going as far as a week takes you. reservations are recommended. and this definitely requires a research for buses. if you are interested, I can give more detailed info (from 2012).

The Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona would fit well with a 7 days walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Aumont-Aubrac to Figeac will get you through Conques. Train connection to Aumont-Aubrac from Paris-Bercy. Train connection from Figeac arrives at Paris-Gare-d'Austerlitz.

My suggestion would be to start in Le Puy and just see how far they can get. Seven days would not likely get them to Conques, which is a highlight, but it is such a good route that they will likely to go back at some point and do more. At noted above, they would need to do some research to make sure they can leave easily.

I agree with Kitsambler. Get off the train in Aumont Aubrac. I took the train down from Paris and arrived after 9:30 PM. So I spent the night in the hotel (Chez Camillou) 150m from the station and started out the next morning. I stayed at the hotel because I arrived late and the gites, I thought, might be already closed. This is a very nice hotel and if you communicate with them ahead of time you may be able to get a meal even if you arrive late. If you arrive earlier and dine there, you won't be disappointed.

Why this part of the Le puy route? You say you are starting in July. It's going to be, on average, hot. As you leave Aumont Aubrac you'll be on the Aubrac Plateau - elevation 3,000 - 4000'. That may relieve the heat a bit. And you'll pass through 3 of the most beautiful villages in France: Estaing, Saint-Come d'Olt, and Conques. Take the bus from Conques to Decazevile, stay there and walk to Figeac, another lovely town.

Then train back to Paris from Figeac. I have walked the segment I have described twice and the rest of the Le Puy route as well. It's a beautiful stretch and offers both inexpensive and more upscale options.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you very much to everyone who replied, your comments and suggestions have been very interesting and helpful. There are now excellent alternatives to consider and to further research. Regards, Izak.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.