• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seven Week Training Program

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have seven weeks to get my fifty-something, over weight and out-of-shape self together, for the Camino Frances. Does anyone have any experience of achieving a good healthy level of fitness in this time frame?
Don't know what you eat, but if you are overweight completely change your diet. Then start walking everyday, gradually increasing distance until about 2-3 days before you leave so you can recover. Do a lot of stretching exercises.
ultreia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't know what you eat, but if you are overweight completely change your diet. Then start walking everyday, gradually increasing distance until about 2-3 days before you leave so you can recover. Do a lot of stretching exercises.
ultreia
Thanks Mark, I will do all that you have suggested here and no more bread!

ditto above comments.
What works (worked on prior Caminos) for me is to gradually walk more and more each week. After about a few weeks start with 3/4 loaded pack. Then build up to fully loaded pack. And increasing the walking distance each day. Taking one day off per week. I take Sunday off.
Inside the walks I try to get some hill walking done.
What really got me on each Camino was the hill climbing. For some reason "Bar Julia" hill (after Bar Julia on the Ingles) really got me.

But I keep trucking along. And in one or two weeks seems to be no problems.

of course light pack, good fitting shoes, etc

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ditto above comments.
What works (worked on prior Caminos) for me is to gradually walk more and more each week. After about a few weeks start with 3/4 loaded pack. Then build up to fully loaded pack. And increasing the walking distance each day. Taking one day off per week. I take Sunday off.
Inside the walks I try to get some hill walking done.
What really got me on each Camino was the hill climbing. For some reason "Bar Julia" hill (after Bar Julia on the Ingles) really got me.

But I keep trucking along. And in one or two weeks seems to be no problems.

of course light pack, good fitting shoes, etc
Thanks martyseville, there are many walks close to where I live (I'm ashamed to say) and hill climbing not too far off either. As for gear, boots, pack etc. I do believe I have that sorted - actually I think now that I was focusing on all the wrong things!

Thanks Mark, I will do all that you have suggested here and no more bread!
Cutting back on bread is good, but for sure if you drink sodas or similar, stop immediately and replace with water.
and when you start walking on the Camino, know your limitations. Pace yourself. Stretch before, after and during if you have to. Stay hydrated. Your body will adjust, and get stronger as you go, but it takes time.
Of course carrying the lightest pack you can helps as well.
ultreia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never have I started where I wanted to, but anything you do regarding regular hiking, climbing hills, reducing your personal weight and that of your pack, will be of benefit. Don't overdo at home or in Spain--make gradual changes so that you don't injure yourself.
Buen Camino

Hey Maura, Mark is correct when he advises to limit your carb and sugar intake. Try switching over to a higher protein level diet. Try throwing in some protein shakes, they work well too. The higher levels of protein will help build muscles. As far as training goes, at a certain age, we really need to progress slowly, especially with the weight in your pack, if you are not used to it. When training for marathons the rule of thumb is not more than 10% distance or time increase per week.

I am going on my first Camino in May, so I am far from professing to be an expert, but the important thing is to go and enjoy yourself. I have a feeling that things will work themselves out nicely once you are on your way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nutrition, hydration and walking are very solid recommendations. The recommendation above to climb is also very important because that will build your cardio and you will be very grateful for every minute you have spend building your cardio when you approach the hills for the first two weeks. If you can find stairs to work into a routine that will be helpful.

I saw many on the CF (starting at SJD) who did no training what so ever. They made it.
So you could train as you walk the Camino.
Kinda of hard to do; but, have seen it done.

I saw many on the CF (starting at SJD) who did no training what so ever. They made it.
So you could train as you walk the Camino.
Kinda of hard to do; but, have seen it done.
Yeah, but a lot of factors come into play there. Age. Existing fitness level. Experience. etc...
I saw a few people who couldn't finish because they just weren't in shape before they started, and the long walks with a pack instead of pounding them into shape, kicked their arse to the point they had to quit, or cut short their Camino.
Without a doubt someone say, under thirty and in average shape for that age could jump in cold and finish no problem. I know I could when I was that young, but for some not so easy peasy.
The first time I walked the Camino Frances I was in my 50's and did no training for it. No real problems, but I gotta say, a lot of sore muscles and sore knees, and I did get fitter as I went along and lost about 10 kg's.
I say to anybody, if they can, do some form of training even if it's just stretching and core work.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The more training you do before the camino , the better. I trained a bit before my first Camino but not nearly as much as I could/should have done. There were some painful days, though I did make it. For the next I did more training, lost some weight and it was easier and more enjoyable right from the get go. Seven weeks preparation before you start the Camino can make a difference.

I have seven weeks to get my fifty-something, over weight and out-of-shape self together, for the Camino Frances. Does anyone have any experience of achieving a good healthy level of fitness in this time frame?
Hi MauraO,
I will share my journey when I had a stroke at 44 (from migraines not heart rare). First my diet was ok but I worked shifts in hospital so ate and slept at all hrs using Coca Cola as my caffeine to get me through. I gradually reduced and eliminated caffeine which boosted my immunity. I was 70lbs overweight- I switched to Mediterranean diet ate 9-11 veggies/fruits a day. Only ate chicken turkey and fish no beef or pork. Tried not to eat anything that came in a package- less additives preservatives etc. I was told I would never drive and barely walk again- nope. I bought a WWii did the fit program daily which helped to start build endurance and muscle. I then started to limp around the neighborhood, at first to corner, then half a block, now I can hike 10 miles with no problem. It's not easy, it's not fast, but part of your work can be done on the Camino. Once there listen to your body rest, stop, hydrate and if needed stay over. As I always say: I might be a turtle but I will get it done! Good luck!

Never have I started where I wanted to, but anything you do regarding regular hiking, climbing hills, reducing your personal weight and that of your pack, will be of benefit. Don't overdo at home or in Spain--make gradual changes so that you don't injure yourself.
Buen Camino

Good advice! Don't feel intimidated by the skinny fit pilgrims you see. 7 weeks will just get you some basic fitness but once your walking do it at you own pace. I have been twice and both times would describe myself as overweight and unfit.
It's lovely to be the last in each day and know on of your Camino family has held a bed for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
.... After about a few weeks start with 3/4 loaded pack. Then build up to fully loaded pack ....

That makes eminent good sense but it's advice I have never acted on. I make sure I do long walks - 2 to 4 hour duration - three or four times a week for at least two months before I go on the Camino but I never carry my pack. Why? For fear of looking like a total dork walking with it on the usual routes in my neighborhood! I think I would look very odd indeed strolling along with a big backpack in a non-wilderness environment. The thing is, it has never affected my performance on the Camino. If anything, I actually find it easier to walk with the fully loaded pack (about 7 kgs) than without. (As an aside, for first-timers, make sure you buy a good pack - never compromise on your footwear or your pack.)

That makes eminent good sense but it's advice I have never acted on. I make sure I do long walks - 2 to 4 hour duration - three or four times a week for at least two months before I go on the Camino but I never carry my pack. Why? For fear of looking like a total dork walking with it on the usual routes in my neighborhood! I think I would look very odd indeed strolling along with a big backpack in a non-wilderness environment. .

So very odd indeed that the police might be called!

Late autumn 2008 I simply climbed the hill behind our farmhouse and started walking south towards Vezelay!

During the cold, foggy 26k slog to Laroche Migennes I bought a welcome goody at a small boulangerie and ate happily while sitting on a public bench, too lazy to remove my pack. When I continued walking a car of Gendarmes stopped and checked my papers!! Rural France just can't be too careful about old ladies out hiking alone late in November! These police were rather stunned that I was aiming for Vezelay; I didn't dare mention I then intended to continue on to Spain and Santiago! (...This ad hoc journey to Vezelay is further described in my blog AllMyCaminos.)

I did the Le Puy last year with very little traing due to a Achilles problem so I was totally unprepared, it was due to be my third Camino, I just took it very easy for the first 10 days and let my body just get used to it again.
I had no problems what so ever.
Just remember to go at your own pace, stop every two hours take your boots off and air your socks and travel light , I am walking the Frances again in May and my rucksack will only weigh 16 lbs and I will shed a stone of body weight prior to leaving .
So often people worry about weight etc when all said and done it also comes down to mental strength as well.

Good luck you will love it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Add some mobility exercises to everything else and you are sorted. https://www.muscleforlife.com/mobility-exercises/
Work on ankles, hips and shoulders and it may prevent an injury.
In the interest of injury prevention it is a very good idea to practise increasing your water consumption. When I was training for the Oxfam Trailwalker my coach had me aiming for 3l/day. Makes a huge difference when trying to avoid blisters. And you do get over having to run to the loo every hour...

You can do it without any training, but why suffer for the first few days? Prepare, do as much training as you can fit in and enjoy! I have surf the web for training programmes before my Camino and did find one that fitted my schedule and I did enjoy my Camino without any blisters, or any other ailments. During the week I walked a few km per day and on Saturdays I double it and then I walked fully kitted with backpack, boots, walking stick and I looked like a dork but so what, after a few weeks everybody in my neighbourhood knew why I was doing it and encouraged me and I saw some other dorks also looking out of place.

Old like in 71, overweight which I freely admit and out of shape even though I do spinning and spinning classes for 2 hours a day 4 times a week and walk 4 miles in the morning the other 3 days of the week. Might it be the vino tinto:cool:? Only God knows!
Previous exercise is important but don't stress yourself or get yourself injured before you start. There is plenty of time to do that on the Camino. If you are starting in SJPdP, there is absolutely nothing that can prepare you for the first 3 or 4 days, nada. Ulteya!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did my first Camino at age 59 ( walked into Santiago on my 60th)...l was fully trained and fit but very jetlagged on my way up to Orisson ....those 8km almost did me in. The next week became my Camino boot camp and I was fine after that.

2015 I did some training walks. ..was more about being fit, loosing my pack weight and just listening to my body on my Camino...done in July and August in the Summer heat....l was fine.

This year my preparation is again totally different. ..lots of training to overcome knee and ankle insuries of last year...weight gain due to lack of exercise too... (walking keeps my weight in check).
My gym has an indoor track and great machines to set for inclines. I am there every day and it is paying off, lost almost all of my pack weight and my knee and ankle are holding up great...I feel fitter and am looking forward to do some longer walks as soon as the roads are dry and not slippery.
My training is all about fitness this time. ..I will be walking a lot of mountains on my Caminos this time...and with poles...

So what I have tried to say in my longwinded way...each of us needs different ways to prepare...and it will change depending on circumstances.

Buen Camino...Ultreia

Walk around 10km most days and watch diet ( eat less! ) Vary walking , some hill ,flat and downhill stuff ,
You'll have no problem.
Buen Camino

Hi there...this is my 7th week of training { I'm 60 on may 2nd } and have been building up slowly from a couple of 4-5 milers a week , increasing to 3x 5 milers during the week plus 1 or 2 8, 10 or 12 milers at the weekends. This weekend I will do a 10 and a 15 miler as well as the couple of shorter ones in the week. I live on Exmoor so walk a lot of hills and quite honestly feel ready to go tomorrow even tho I'm not due to leave for another 8 weeks! I started training early to iron out any foot problems as well as strengthening my back as its a bit ' dodgy '- but having said that, wearing my rucksack really helps- it only feels dodgy when I take it off now ! Get your back pack on as soon as you can, even without much in it as it gives you better posture from the word go.
Who knows, I may see you there......
good luck
Suzie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
not too late.jpg Wife and I did the Frances fall 2016, we are 65 & 66 respectively. We were lacking in training, no hills or even bumps by us, buildings over one story were 35 miles away from us so we had to rely on our commercial treadmill for training at 12% grade. Our training was for about 5 weeks. This was not enough by far, actually woefully inadequate. This year ( doing the Frances again (Aug-Sept 2017) We are already in training doing "stairmaster", incline treadmill @ 25% -30% incline in addition to weight training. We are leaving nothing to chance because last year it was a struggle with injuries and this year we want to be able to really enjoy it. So my advice, contrary to those who say you may hurt yourself training hard now is balderdash, train...push yourself, once you get into your training schedule start carrying your pack gradually adding weight. Our feeling is, better to push yourself now and if something does go wrong you have time to recover. Train easy and trek the Camino and have something go wrong then.. you might have just ended your journey/pilgrimage.

Buen Camino,
Bill & Joan

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for sharing all this wonderful advice - it's a great support and I am humbled by some of your stories.
I have started training and changed my diet. When the going gets tough I will remind myself of all the freshly baked Spanish bread we will eat along the Way. :)

Hello, I would suggest that you get used to the sort of food you are likely to be eating in Spain - i.e. Bread, pasta, cured pork, eggs etc - a week or so before you go. A sudden change in diet will screw with your digestive system. Walking with constipation is no fun (apparently).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I would suggest that you get used to the sort of food you are likely to be eating in Spain - i.e. Bread, pasta, cured pork, eggs etc - a week or so before you go. A sudden change in diet will screw with your digestive system. Walking with constipation is no fun (apparently).

Thanks Ian,
We went grocery shopping on Wednesday there, and taking on-board the above advice of completely changing our diet, we looked anew at the foods in store. We have stocked the cupboards up well with rice, pasta, fish (including tins of all types), natural yogurts, eggs, lentils, and salami, veg and large amounts of fruit & seeds (we found packets of mixed seeds toasted in honey). - a complete change for us and very close to what you've suggested above.
I would love to get bread, but am afraid to in case I eat the loaf(s)! We did buy a small light barnbrack as a treat and I can manage small portions of that.
We have walked the Camino in parts before and we realised that what we had bought was very similar to what we would be eating in Spain. So hopefully if there is any digestive changes/upsets we will be well over them before leaving.
Yes I can imagine walking with constipation would not be fun at all :/
Will keep you informed :)

Hi
Hi there...this is my 7th week of training { I'm 60 on may 2nd } and have been building up slowly from a couple of 4-5 milers a week , increasing to 3x 5 milers during the week plus 1 or 2 8, 10 or 12 milers at the weekends. This weekend I will do a 10 and a 15 miler as well as the couple of shorter ones in the week. I live on Exmoor so walk a lot of hills and quite honestly feel ready to go tomorrow even tho I'm not due to leave for another 8 weeks! I started training early to iron out any foot problems as well as strengthening my back as its a bit ' dodgy '- but having said that, wearing my rucksack really helps- it only feels dodgy when I take it off now ! Get your back pack on as soon as you can, even without much in it as it gives you better posture from the word go.
Who knows, I may see you there......
good luck
Suzie
Hi Suzie, thanks for this, I have started the training found in Doug's link: http://www.aussiewalk.com.au/training.htm. from the second week for the 20 - 30km distance, and I have to say that even after a couple of days, I can feel my ankles and back strengthening. My ankles had felt like the tendons were all like loose and when I started stretching my shoulders and back it was clicking away as though it had nearly seized up! I had my rucksack with 1 and a half kg of water on my back for a hill walk today and to be honest it was tougher than I expected. I had to stop often to catch my breath. But I did it. I'm delighted to hear that after 7 weeks of training that you feel you are ready to go - I can't wait until I feel like that.
And who knows indeed, buen Camino Suzie :)

Last edited:
MauraO,
I was 60, overweight, and not in good enough shape to do the Camino last year. I injured my knee 3 weeks before leaving for Spain. But I did it!
We started in Pamplona instead of SJPD. I walked slower than many people.
Do the best you can to lose weight and get fit. The Camino will whip you into shape. After the first week, you will be stronger.
Just remember to walk at your own pace. Take a day off if you get really tired out. It's your will that will get you through.
And Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back