• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Several General Questions

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
I put this post under equipment because there are some questions about it, but I have more outside that topic.

Anyways, hello! I am a new pilgrim and have been lurking, reading various posts for hours. Many have answered the majority of my questions, but I need some clarification on others. Sorry, this post may be really long.

1. I'm 95% sure I'm not going to bring my phone. Instead, I plan on getting a minimal calling card to call home, at least in major towns when payphones aren't so scarce. My phone is terrible at taking pictures and doesn't have much in terms of space for various apps and documents. I'm leaning towards taking my iPod Touch for pictures, WiFi access, and more space for apps and such. I'm traveling with a companion who is in Spain currently teaching English. I'm joining him after his school year is over and he currently has his phone with him. I'm thinking one phone between will be enough. I guess my question is how detrimental is it to not have my phone? I'd rather not carry it for the weight and the worry about keeping up with it.

2. As we have to wait until my friend's school year is over, we're starting around the 28th or 29th of May. I recently learned that 2016 is now a Holy Year and that June isn't necessarily the busiest month, but it's up there. My question is how busy has June been for past years? Will we be able to get into albergues for the most part? I don't mind sleeping outside so much except for trying to keep my bag safe, as I'm a heavy sleeper.

3. One of the last things I plan on packing is clothes. I've lost about 110 pounds, but plan on losing about 30 more before my trip. This means I want to have the chance of getting clothes that fit better. I've looked up temperatures and weather patterns of past Junes, and find the average day temp to be 70-80 (21-27 Celsius) and dry for the most part. I plan on bringing three pairs of socks and underwear. I'm thinking a sarong with bike shorts (or mesh running shorts) to wear underneath for town after a shower. A pair of trousers that can roll-up shorter, a short sleeved shirt, and a lightweight long-sleeved shirt. I'm also thinking of bringing a lightweight rain jacket and a buff. And, of course, my hiking shoes and albergue/town shoes. Does this sound good? Too much, too little?

4. Kind of a dumb question, but in case we get to an albergue and only top bunks are available, how many don't have rails on the top? I toss and turn, and haven't slept in a bunk bed since camp in junior high, and worried about falling off!

5. We're starting off in Roncesvalles for time purposes. How easy is it to find the credentials office there?

6. Any apps you'd recommend? I'm going to download various pdfs from here, like a condensed guide and list of albergues. I will definitely do a compass app. The cheaper, the better. I'm a bargain pilgrim!

I think that's everything. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
1. If your iPod supports Skype that would be the best solution imo to phone/message home and using the phone of your friend for other calls.
2. You should have no problem to find a bed in town, but perhaps not always in the albergue you fancy. Sleeping outside isn't recommended and you would need a mat for that which is unnecessary weight and the first item pilgrims leave typically behind.
3. Looks good to me, don't forget the hat and sun screen! And keep an eye on the weight in your cosmetic/first aid bag.
4. Some have, some don't but you can always explain the problem to the hospitalero and fellow pilgrims, nobody wants to have a medical emergency in the middle of the night. I have vertigo, so top bunks are out of question for me. In emergency case I simply took the mattress down, slept on the floor and put it up next morning.
5. Extremely so, just follow the other pilgrims and signs. Roncesvalles is tiny.
6. I like taking a weather app to get an idea how to pack for the day.
7. Buen Camino! SY

Hi - I noticed this is your first post and couldnt leave without trying to answer some of your questions :D

1) phone or not is totally down to choice. Some hate them, some wouldn't leave without them. Go with whatever works for you. When my husband is with me we only have the one phone. I used my Note3 as a camera and it worked great but i dont know anyting about the itouch.

2) Sorry I can't help with this one

3) There are quite a few packing lists on here so I would say take a look and see how yours measures up. I take 3 lots of underwear. I took a sarong and 2 pairs of trousers the first time and the second time took a third pair of light trousers... I'm doing this again this year... are you only take one pair of trousers? I'm guessing you've only listed clothes here and not your full pack.

4) I dont remember seeing rails... but I didn't fall either :rolleyes:

5) You really cant miss it! I dont know if you need to get credentials before hand though? You can get them from this site.

6) I have a new phone and I've lost my list of apps... so I'm going to have to reload mine. Most were free... I think I paid a few euros for one? There is a forum app? Are you apple or android?

Finally - I can understand that you'll have oodles of questions but it may be easier to get replies if you break things down a little. For example, start a thread asking about phone apps that have been useful? I must have asked 20 questions at least but I did get lots of great replies and it helped me a lot. The good folks on here will be able to offer you lots of advice... but may skip over the question if it's a bit vague... if that makes sense? Hope that doesn't sound grumpy on this wet monday morning (it's not meant to be :D )

I'm sure you'll have a great time and be warned... it's very addictive!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have started using my phone more and more on our Camino walks because it's so nice to have something I can read inside my sleeping bag without disturbing others, plus GPS if we're trying to find an address in a town where there aren't many people around to ask. But I do keep it turned off all day.

There aren't many phone boxes left in Spain these days - everyone and his grandmother has a mobile :) .

Your packing list looks fine, I am particularly fond of Crocs for albergue/town/shower/blister emergency shoes, but your feet may disagree.

Hi and welcome! Just a quick comment on the fear of falling out of the top bunk - you mention taking a sarong, my top tip is to tie the sarong to the head and foot end of the bed so it stretches in front of you. It won't take your weight if you decide to fall out, but just having that physical border there means you will move away from it and it also makes it feel safer so you can sleep better. I have posted a pic in here somewhere of my bed in Logroño, I think it was. I have done this a lot with scarves, sarongs etc. You'll be fine!

1. Take the phone, even if for only emergency use. You and your friend will get separated. If you both have a mobile phone, you can contact each other.

On my first three Caminos, I used an Apple iPod Touch, with free Wi-Fi commonly found along the way. For voice, I used an old school, "soap-bar" quad-cell cell phone. That meant it could be used on both both US and Euro networks. I only used it for emergency (none) and to call my family weekly to check in. I used a prepaid European SIM card. You likely have an old one somewhere, or a friend may have an unused one you can borrow. Do not forget the charger.

Or, you can arrive in Spain, and buy a cheap, old school phone with a Spanish SIM in it for less than € 30. They are sold in airports and train stations. The BIC folks actually make such an inexpensive phone. I have also seen them in convenience shops across Spain. They are in "blister pack" type packages hung near the cash registers.

For three Caminos, I used Face Time (a native Apple app) on my iPod Touch to contact family at home for free. The newer versions of Face Time also support voice-only calls over Wi-Fi. So, a iPhone, or an iPod Touch, used with the free Wi-Fi, can still be very useful. Make sure you have the Face Time app loaded and working. Test it before you travel.

For contacting folks who do not use Apple products, load the Skype app for iOS, as SYates suggested above. Using either Face Time or Skype should cover most non-emergency uses.

2. As Pope Francis proclaimed 2016 a Year of Mercy (quasi Holy Year), ALL months will be busier than last year on the Camino. I recently met with a group of US pilgrims here, who recounted stories of off-season crowds along the Camino Frances. As the lodging facilities along this route have a finite capacity, plan accordingly. Assume that the facilities may be "completo." Make advance reservations whenever and wherever you can.

If you SHOULD find yourself at the only local albergue, and that albergue is "completo" (full), ask the hospitalero for help. They WILL help you. Do not just walk away, unless you have a good plan. Many times the hospitalero or local cafe proprietor will know of locals who take pilgrims into their homes for free or for a (generous) donation when the albergue is full to overflowing. This is free money to most folks, and not reported on taxes. Many of the folks living along the Camino routes regard this as both a debt of honor, and as a good deed that gains them "points" with the BIG BOSS. The € also help...;)

As a woman, it is better if you are not solo in this situation. The Camino is very safe. But, this is no reason to leave your "street smarts" at home. Two women staying in some little old ladies' home as honored guests is much safer than one woman doing the same in some families' home. Have fun, enjoy, just keep your head screwed on tight and pay attention to your surroundings.

I recommend trying to make advance reservations in private albergues, several days ahead, as soon as you have a good idea of where you will be and when. Use e-mail from where you are and have a phone with that capability (e-mail). Use Google Translate over Wi-Fi to translate your English request into Spanish. Save / bookmark the first message you write to cut and paste it into subsequent e-mails. Over the years, I have accumulated a library of bookmarked sentences that I can cut and paste into almost any message.

Another very good idea is to ask the hospitalero or proprietor where you are staying "tonight" call ahead one or two days to make verbal reservations with the next place(s) down the road. This assumes they speak English well enough to understand your request, OR you saved a translated question like "Please, can you phone (name of albergue or hostal from guide book or list) to request a (single / double) reservation for me? I / we will arrive tomorrow not later than ( time ). Thank you very much." I regularly use this method and it always works, at least for me.

3. BRAVO YOU for losing a person along the way! I too lost about 90 pounds about 10 years ago when I had a bariatric lap band installed. I still have it. It does exact a penalty on each Camino, as I must pack extra weight to bring my medical grade protein powder with me. The protein powder packets weigh about one pound - half a kilo per week. Instead of the usual three shakes I consume each day at home, I pack two packets of protein per day and compel myself to eat more protein each day (eggs & jamon). I mix the protein powder with water and, either electrolyte replacement powder (late AM or PM), or coffee singles (AM).

On each Camino, I typically lose 15 pounds over a month. But, like lost luggage, it usually finds me once I return home.;) My advice to a fellow, major weight loser is to make sure you are in the best physical condition possible before doing the Camino. It is not a walk in the park. But, it does require some measure of advance thought and planning. Also, when you do start, do so slowly and carefully. Most Camino injuries come in the first days or week. Discretion is the better part of valor on Camino...

You might also be dealing with: joint pain, dietary supplements, or prescription medication. You can find out about knee braces, nutritional and medication issues in the forum. The search function is great. Or, if you prefer, send me a private message (start a conversation) and I will reply to you directly. I wear braces, take supplements for my weight-damaged knees, take prescription medication, and have to schlep the protein powder... Over the years, I have developed methods for accommodating each need.

You have the right idea as regards packing. Most people show packing lists NOT INCLUDING WHAT THEY ARE WEARING. Others list their complete list, from the skin out (FSO). I recommend TWO pair of zip off cargo / hiking trousers in 100% nylon or other fast drying synthetic material. That gives you one pair worn, with one packed. Having the zip-off function effectively gives you FOUR pair of trousers. If you get trousers with two leg zips per leg, you can remove the lower leg to wash or rinse the mud off without having to remove your boots first. My REI "Sahara" pants (men / women) have two zips for this purpose.

Other than for trousers, you wear one set of top and underthings, and carry two sets in dry bags or ziplock bags in your rucksack. Hand or machine wash one set each evening. This ensures one worn set, one dry set, and one just washed and, hopefully, dry set (washed the previous afternoon). Rotate and wash the bottoms as appropriate. I usually wait until I cannot stand the sight or smell of the trousers before finding a machine-washing solution in an albergue or hostal, or coin operated lavadero in a city. I then swap into the alternate pair, until they get rank...:eek:

THAT seems to me to be the "sweet spot" for most packing lists. Some folks carry less, some more. I have done both, ranging from one worn and one packed, all the way to one worn and three packed (the stupid years). I found, after three spring Caminos, that 1 + 2 is the best solution for me. However, I bring layering outwear for all weather conditions. You can encounter snow at elevations above about 700 meters through the end of May. Also, morning temperatures of 2 - 4 degrees celsius are not uncommon in April and May. If the sun comes out that day, the temperatures quickly rise. Layering is the best solution.

4. It is NOT a silly question! Tell the person who signs you in that you need a bottom bunk, as you need to go to the toilet many times each night...that should work. Here is the translation: ¿Puedo tener una litera de abajo? Tengo que ir al baño durante la noche. I recently learned that there, apparently, is an unwritten rule in albergues that all men over 50 are typically assigned lower bunks automatically, as most of us have seem to that same need...:eek:

5. The previous answers address this. If in doubt, go to the main albergue, the big building run by the Dutch Pilgrims in the former seminary at Roncesvalles. They will help you with anything you need. Yes, they all speak very good English.

6. I LIKE weather apps. I used several on my iPod Touch for three years, and now on my new iPhone. The reason is that some have better small-town reports in Spain than others. Also, I set some to Celsius and others set to Fahrenheit. It is easier, at least for me. As long as I have the memory, I can do this. I created a group called "Weather" to house the several apps. I also have one for Spanish (language), and others for "Spain" and "Santiago" for the several apps I have for each situation. I move these groups to my first page, so they are there when the phone turns on. Here are my weather apps:

Spanish iTunes Store (free)
  • El Tiempo de AEMET
  • El Tiempo.es+
To change to the Spanish iTunes store, sign into your iTunes account. Pull down and open your account information. See your native / home store location (it should say either United States, Canada, or whatever), click on "change country." From the pull-down list, select Spain. This will switch your current iTunes store session to the Spanish store.

Also, while you are in the Spanish iTunes store, get "Alert Cops" for free. If you are use a smart phone with data connectivity while you are walking, Alert Cops provides you with a means to text emergency alerts to the local police from wherever you are. Your phone will provide the GPS location, date, and time in the background, automatically. It works in Spanish AND English.

The store change should only last for the current session, giving you time to download the apps. Once you exit iTunes and sign back in, it should re-link to your native store. If it does not, return to your account and change it back.

US iTunes Store (free)
  • Weather Underground
  • The Weather Channel
  • Yahoo Weather
I think that addresses all your questions. I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I put this post under equipment because there are some questions about it, but I have more outside that topic.

Anyways, hello! I am a new pilgrim and have been lurking, reading various posts for hours. Many have answered the majority of my questions, but I need some clarification on others. Sorry, this post may be really long.

1. I'm 95% sure I'm not going to bring my phone. Instead, I plan on getting a minimal calling card to call home, at least in major towns when payphones aren't so scarce. My phone is terrible at taking pictures and doesn't have much in terms of space for various apps and documents. I'm leaning towards taking my iPod Touch for pictures, WiFi access, and more space for apps and such. I'm traveling with a companion who is in Spain currently teaching English. I'm joining him after his school year is over and he currently has his phone with him. I'm thinking one phone between will be enough. I guess my question is how detrimental is it to not have my phone? I'd rather not carry it for the weight and the worry about keeping up with it.

2. As we have to wait until my friend's school year is over, we're starting around the 28th or 29th of May. I recently learned that 2016 is now a Holy Year and that June isn't necessarily the busiest month, but it's up there. My question is how busy has June been for past years? Will we be able to get into albergues for the most part? I don't mind sleeping outside so much except for trying to keep my bag safe, as I'm a heavy sleeper.

3. One of the last things I plan on packing is clothes. I've lost about 110 pounds, but plan on losing about 30 more before my trip. This means I want to have the chance of getting clothes that fit better. I've looked up temperatures and weather patterns of past Junes, and find the average day temp to be 70-80 (21-27 Celsius) and dry for the most part. I plan on bringing three pairs of socks and underwear. I'm thinking a sarong with bike shorts (or mesh running shorts) to wear underneath for town after a shower. A pair of trousers that can roll-up shorter, a short sleeved shirt, and a lightweight long-sleeved shirt. I'm also thinking of bringing a lightweight rain jacket and a buff. And, of course, my hiking shoes and albergue/town shoes. Does this sound good? Too much, too little?

4. Kind of a dumb question, but in case we get to an albergue and only top bunks are available, how many don't have rails on the top? I toss and turn, and haven't slept in a bunk bed since camp in junior high, and worried about falling off!

5. We're starting off in Roncesvalles for time purposes. How easy is it to find the credentials office there?

6. Any apps you'd recommend? I'm going to download various pdfs from here, like a condensed guide and list of albergues. I will definitely do a compass app. The cheaper, the better. I'm a bargain pilgrim!

I understand the need or desire to cut off from the constant communication offered by a phone but I sincerely counsel anyone to have one for emergencies. If you found an injured pilgrim or were robbed how would you alert anyone or call for medical help?

I understand the need or desire to cut off from the constant communication offered by a phone but I sincerely counsel anyone to have one for emergencies. If you found an injured pilgrim or were robbed how would you alert anyone or call for medical help?

I don't carry a mobile phone on the Camino - but fortunately nearly everyone else does - so problem solved in the very rare event that you need it

3. I've lost about 110 pounds, but plan on losing about 30 more before my trip...

WOW, I mis-read that as 10 pounds and thought to myself "well done you, I wish I could do that"... but WOW 110 pounds! you must feel amazing :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congrats on taking some big steps towards being a healthier version of you! On the Camino your ankles, knees and hips will be really impressed with you...!!

Some thoughts on your questions:
I'm 95% sure I'm not going to bring my phone.
If you're happy and comfortable not having a phone, that's great and you should go with it. But if it comes down to the weight of your phone as the deciding reason, IMO you may want to keep considering before you ultimately leave. I know you've been reading lots on this forum and probably read lots about ounce counters but, again IMO, a few extra ounces to have some peace of mind is never a bad few ounces.

a short sleeved shirt
In that heat while carrying a pack all day, it may be worth considering at least a second short-sleeved shirt. At 27C it is not uncommon to change shirts midway through a day. If you do decide to go with just one, I'd certainly recommend a strong sweat wicking shirt that hand washes easily and dries very quickly as you'll likely be washing it every day of your Camino.

Any apps you'd recommend?
I'm pretty fond of the Wise Pilgrim Camino app. It has all the maps, elevation views, lots of suggestions for Albergues and places to see in each town. On a subsequent Camino I would think it more than adequate in place of a guide book.

Good luck with your final details and wishing you a Buen Camino!!
Jordon

1. I'm 95% sure I'm not going to bring my phone.

Bring your phone. Turn it off and throw it in your backpack if you don't want to use it. Your phone is part of your first aid kit. Payphones are non-existent, and should you twist your ankle out in the middle of nowhere, you'll be glad you had it. Don't rely on others for a phone either in an emergency.

You should be fine being able to get into an albergue. You might have to stop early in the day, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Some do, some don't. When was the last time you fell out of bed? Probably a long time ago, I'm guessing. You'll be fine in a top bunk.

You should be able to get one at the tourist office or at the albergue. And if you fill one up, most albergues along the way will have them for purchase.

I used an app called Open GPS tracker, to keep track of distances and now I can go back and see where I was on a given day. It's a free app.

Not sure how your Spanish is, but get the offline version of google translate. It's free too.

Stay hydrated.
Walk at your own pace.
Stay hydrated.
Take pictures.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful replies! I'll try to reply to each point. Sorry for not making a separate post for each point, but I wanted sort of a catch-all thread for my questions.

1. I suppose I'll bring my phone. It's a smartphone but a light one. Only cost me $10 on a sale to it's not *too* big of a deal if I lose it. And even though I'm a "millennial", I really have no idea how SIM cards work. I've read multiple posts about them on here, but do I just buy one to replace my US one, and then I'm able to use it in Spain? Would I be able to call home on a Spanish SIM card? I'm really clueless about this, so the most basic explanation and advice would be great! In regards to me and my friend being separated, I suggested it to him as he is a faster walker that we could walk alone as long as we end up in the same town at the end of the day. He didn't want to hear any of it and wanted to at least stay within eyesight and earshot of each other. We've been best friends since sixth grade (I even cried when I heard he was going to Spain for a year!), so he's a little protective.

2. It's good to know that most albergues will, hopefully, have space and can help if there is none. I am travelling with a friend who is fluent in Spanish and taught it for three years here in the States, but I also took five years of it, so I could carry on a conversation (slowly, mind you!) which should help.

3. This point was mainly about clothes, which is why I didn't include an entire packing list. I'm still tweaking it and will post a separate thread about it for advice once I have everything together. I only thought about the lightweight long-sleeved shirt was because other posts suggested it for really sunny days. It was also for cooler nights and mornings. I wasn't sure about bringing more than one pair of trousers if I brought a sarong with shorts underneath for walking around town. I figured I'd wash the pants and let them dry overnight. I haven't bought anything yet, so this was to get an idea. Thanks for the hat suggestion! I completely forgot about it.

4. Yeah, I was hesitant to ask about rails! I have been known to fall off my bed, and that's queen-sized. People have told me that it seems like I'm fighting people off in my sleep, considering how I thrash. ;) Luckily, I don't snore and rarely talk in my sleep, according to friends and family.

5. I only asked about credentials in Roncesvalles because I wasn't sure the difference between those and the ones online. I didn't know if one was more "official" than the other.

6. I love the app ideas! I have a weather app, but a Spanish one would definitely help in terms of accuracy.

I agree with most carry your phone, congratulation on your weight loss wow!, welcome to forum you will find great info here, and by the way don't sweat the small stuff deal with it if you come across :)

Buen Camino
Zzotte

A light long sleeved short is a good idea for sun protection. You may want yo find one whose sleeves you can roll up.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can't answer everything you ask but I'd say please take a phone! By all means turn it off when you don't need it but it'll be there in an emergency. I used mine on my first camino to call for help for a sick pilgrim.
Ask to have a bottom bunk and if you can't, as SYates suggested, put the mattress on the floor. Make sure you put it back in the morning. Problem solved :)
Buen camino!

I don't have the answers for you as I am a Newbie too. My mouth is still hanging open from amazement at your weight loss. WAY TO GO! I work for a Lap Band Surgeon and I've seen lives changed. What a wonderful way to celebrate !!

I'd bring a second pair of pants - your pants may or may not dry overnight, especially if its damp and rainy. I'm taking 2 pairs of zip-off hiking pants and a pair of exercise leggings/yoga pants. I've never been able to pull off wearing a sarong as a skirt - too much fabric, it seems to always get loose and hang funny and have to be constantly readjusted. But if you are comfortable wearing a sarong around, then it seems like a good choice for afternoons/evenings.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you tell us what rand smart phone you have, and what the operating system is, the forum members can make more specific recommendations about apps you might consider.

E.G. "I have a Samsung phone that runs the Android operations ING system. I am running version 9.9 of that operating system."

We can help...

My phone is a Motorola Moto E with Android OS, so basically it uses Google Play. The thing is, my phone is very limited in space and I don't even have that many apps on it except Facebook and MapMyWalk. Everything else was included on the phone. I was planning on using my iPod Touch 5 for such apps, at least ones that don't need data. I just moved over 3000 pictures and videos from it to a flash drive and freed up nearly 17 gigs of space. That's why I was debating a SIM card, which I still really don't know much about.

I really have no idea how SIM cards work.
You need to have an "unlocked" phone in order to insert a Spanish SIM card to provide Spanish phone service and data (if you want it). I don't know where you are located, but here in Canada, phones typically come "locked" to a particular service provider. After a certain length of time you can unlock it for a fee.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mina Leigh,

About question 1:
The SIM card is what stores the identity information, the phone number, the network provider,...
The phone itself is "only" a radio transmitter with keyboard and screen!
As already mentioned, you have to check if your phone is "SIM locked", what means that it will not accept a SIM card sold by another provider than the one who originally sold the phone.

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Check with your phone service provider to make certain your phone is unlocked so you can put a Spanish SIM card in it. If the phone is locked to your current provider, they may unlock it for you.

Take all the apps you will NOT need on the Android phone off, and replace them with the same or equivalent apps on your iPod Touch, from the iTunes app store.

I recommend you place only those apps on your smart phone that you will need during the day. This includes weather, emergency information, and navigation or maps information.

Also, maintain the ability to use online language translation, internet browsing and email capability. You will likely use or want these. I find the ability to compose and send an email, in Spanish, asking for advance reservations at a private albergue or hostal a day or two up the road, VERY convenient.

Earlier, I recommended:
  • El Tiempo de AEMET
  • El Tiempo.es+
  • Alert Cops
If you can make the space, I also recommend:
  • Wikiloc GPS navigation - there are free Camino routing files available through the forum.
  • Offline Google Maps
  • Camino Frances, by Wise Pilgrim (if available on Android) The newest versions are VERY GOOD.
On your iPod Touch, I recommend using the apps you will only use with free Wi-Fi in the evening or at a rest stop. So, Skype, Face Time, Facebook, all social media apps, all your mp3 music files, books, movies, etc., should be used on the iPod Touch. Add to that all the offline Spanish dictionaries. Do not use the smart phone for photos as these use a lot of space. Use the iPod Touch camera. Mine was fine.

To save weight, I use a "sugar cube" Apple charger with a Euro plug adapter, WITH a two-way charger cord. The cord has a USB end, plus BOTH a Lightning connector AND a micro-USB connector. One charge cable can be used for both your devices. If you cannot find one, use a micro USB cable for your Motorola smart phone, together with the micro USB to Lightning adapter sold by Apple, to use a micro-USB cable with any Lightning-ported device.

Actually, when I got to Spain, I bought a European Apple charger. This is about the size and shape of a Zippo cigarette lighter and already has the two, round plugs for European use. Ironically, you can use it in the US with the appropriate plug adapter (2 round pins to 2 flat pins). This weighs a few less grans than the US Apple charger cube plus the plug adapter.

You can buy one in the Pamplona El Corte Ingles department store. Just ask around "Per favor, donde el Corte Ingles?" It is a few blocks from the Pamplona train station. The local TI (Tourist Information office) will supply you with a free city map and directions. It is near the main plaza. Plaza de Castillo. They also speak good English at the TI.

Here is the Pamplona Tourism web page: http://www.turismodepamplona.es/verpagina.aspx?idpag=1&idioma=5

Also, ask them to point out the nearest correos (post office). There you can mail to Ivar (check this forum for specifics) at Santiago, the extra gear you now realize you will not need, or were silly to have brought, along with the US charger. The Spanish post is cheap and reliable.

Also, if you can wait until Pamplona (three days from Roncesvalles), you will have NO PROBLEM buying the appropriate pre-paid SIM card for your phone. Again, your phone MUST be unlocked to do this.

Every gram of weight saved is a gram less carried...it DOES add up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oops, I just noticed that, while your Motorola phone may only have 8 Gb of built-in memory, it DOES have the ability to add a separate micro memory card of up to 32 Gb. These are available inexpensively now.

I recommend that you explore getting one to vastly expand your phone's capabilities. Try your local Best Buy

Once you find out from the geeks in the store what you need and how to install it, you might be able to get a better deal online. For example, I also found a San Disk 32 Gb micro SIM card at Walmart for only $10. Check this out:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/47055692

But, if you can buy a card in the store and have them install it, that sounds like a good way to go.

I hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bring your phone. Turn it off and throw it in your backpack if you don't want to use it. Your phone is part of your first aid kit. Payphones are non-existent, and should you twist your ankle out in the middle of nowhere, you'll be glad you had it. Don't rely on others for a phone either in an emergency.

You should be fine being able to get into an albergue. You might have to stop early in the day, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Some do, some don't. When was the last time you fell out of bed? Probably a long time ago, I'm guessing. You'll be fine in a top bunk.

You should be able to get one at the tourist office or at the albergue. And if you fill one up, most albergues along the way will have them for purchase.

I used an app called Open GPS tracker, to keep track of distances and now I can go back and see where I was on a given day. It's a free app.

Not sure how your Spanish is, but get the offline version of google translate. It's free too.

Stay hydrated.
Walk at your own pace.
Stay hydrated.
Take pictures.
I second the last pieces of advice...particularly the 'stay hydrated'. I was told by a fellow pilgrim to 'drink plenty' when I was in Navarette...I didn't and really suffered in Belorado. My mistake... and I won't make it again. Buen Camino Minaleigh :)

I second the last pieces of advice...particularly the 'stay hydrated'. I was told by a fellow pilgrim to 'drink plenty' when I was in Navarette...I didn't and really suffered in Belorado. My mistake... and I won't make it again. Buen Camino Minaleigh :)

I was so dehydrated when I got to Valcarlos my first day that I seriously considered calling for medical help. (I probably should have.) But I learned my lesson and learned to love water after that! I talk a lot about the do's and don'ts of the Camino, but the one thing I am 100% sure of is that a pilgrim needs to be hydrated!

i brought three sets of clothes...i didn't have to do laundry everyday...but i walked in sept 2015 in shorts the whole way with fast drying tees and one lightweight long sleeve.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i brought three sets of clothes...i didn't have to do laundry everyday...but i walked in sept 2015 in shorts the whole way with fast drying tees and one lightweight long sleeve.
That's good to know. I'll be starting in SJPDP on August 21. I'm planning on bringing two merino wool tank style dresses that I plan to wear with leggings when it's cold. I'll also have a lightweight merino cardigan, a lightweight hoodie, and a ultra light windbreaker. I'm hoping that those layers will be versatile enough to adapt to different temps. I'm thinking of also bringing a long sleeve merino T shirt.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back