• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

several misc. questions re: Camino Frances

vjhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
I've never trekked the Camino, it is the first thing I want to do in 2019 or 2020 on my bucket list
this will be my first trip. I plan April 2019. I will be flying out of Arizona. where do I fly into? then do I bus/taxi somewhere else to begin? Is there a specific air line people prefer? Do I need to do anything about health insurance in case something happens along the way? No adjectives adequate that express my gratitude for this blog and for all of the pilgrim brothers and sisters willing to offer help. Thank you!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the forum vjhiker! Which route do you intend to walk and where do you plan to start?

Regarding health insurance, plan to purchase some type of insurance that will cover you while traveling. Although we don't plan to get sick or hurt, stuff happens. Janet and I use a combination of travel/health insurance. There are many options. It can be cheaper if it is purchased when you purchase your plane tickets. Some organizations provide travel and international health insurance to their members. Check out these threads regarding travel/health insurance https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nsurance-for-us-peregrinos.51959/#post-576952 and https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-of-the-importance-of-travel-insurance.51945/. Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Phil

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
this will be my first trip. I plan April 2019. I will be flying out of Arizona. where do I fly into? then do I bus/taxi somewhere else to begin? Is there a specific air line people prefer? Do I need to do anything about health insurance in case something happens along the way? No adjectives adequate that express my gratitude for this blog and for all of the pilgrim brothers and sisters willing to offer help. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum :)
1. There are many options for airlines and what city you can choose to arrive; this will involve research on your part and perhaps the advice of a local travel agency to help you decide. For me, departing out of Seattle my choice was to fly into Charles de Gaulle, then connect with a regional flight from CDG to BIQ (Biarritz) where I took a shuttle to St Jean Pied de Port. I could choose Air France, Aer Lingus, Icelandair, British Airways, Condor, Lufthansa, KLM, etc. Factors for me included total flight time, arrival time, and the ability to make connecting flights. A lot of options which I had to sort through to make the best choice for me. Your choices will be different than mine due to the differences in the number and type of airlines which service your airport location.

2. No, you don't have to have health insurance; whether to buy it is totally voluntary. However, the smart thing to do is to purchase the best and most comprehensive insurance available. AAA is an agency which can put together a travel insurance package for you.

3. Don't hesitate to use this forum's search feature to help you to find answers to your questions. Of course we are happy to answer questions should you need better clarification. There isn't a single question that hasn't been answered many times before, so there is a good base of knowledge available to you. :)

There are many choices re: flights - you'll just have to find what will work (time and cost) for you. I flew to London (few days there), then to Madrid, on to Biarritz and taxi to St Jean Pied de Port.

As to travel/health insurance - DON'T leave home without it. Don't plan to need it, but if you do .... you can't buy it then. Check with your coverage from your job (if not retired), your credit card etc. But ... make sure you're covered for the unplanned.

Vjhiker, you will fly from Arizona to a major airport in Europe. From there, yes, you take either another flight or ground transportation to your starting point on the camino.

Start by figuring your best European entry point. Most common are either Madrid or Paris, with London and Barcelona popular as well. Check their relative merits in terms of schedule and price. Then check into the logistics of getting from your arrival point to the Camino. As mentioned above, Rome2Rio is very helpful for this.

Using myself as an example, from southeast Pennsylvania, I can fly non-stop from Philadelphia to Madrid. There are cheaper flights (some much cheaper!) from NYC, but they involve layovers (sometimes involving a change of airports), plane changes, and getting to New York, so for me convenience wins. Others have different critetia. So that's why no one can say "This is the best."

The same principal holds true for getting from your arrival point to the Camino. Check out your various options from each of the arrival cities and then decide your route based on the overall picture. Search through the forum. Many people describe the various options they chose, and almost always make it sound fun. Because getting there is all part of the experience.

As for medical insurance, you definitely want to be covered. If your own policy doesn't cover you overseas, check out travel insurance. It costs very little, as you're not covering cancellation other than your flight cost. But in the unlikely event that you should need it, it could save thousands of dollars.

Happy planning!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I flew into Madrid for both of my Caminos, but many people prefer flying through Paris. I think that transportation back to Madrid from Santiago is easier. You can book what's called a multi city or "open jaw" ticket which would allow you to fly into say, Paris, and home from Madrid.
Check what your current health insurance covers while you are abroad, and I recommend purchasing travel insurance that will cover everything from lost luggage to getting you home early if necessary because of accident, illness or injury. I use https://www.insuremytrip.com/ to compare policies. And make sure that you buy it right away, and it may cover pre-existing conditions. But only if you buy it within a week or so of booking your tickets. It will also cover you if you can't go because of illness or injury. Don't count on the airlines to refund you if you get sick or hurt before you go. That's what travel insurance is for.

I will not try and say what you should do, but will tell you what I did and hope that helps.
I flew Delta airlines from Dallas, Texas to Madrid (Sept 20,2017). I then took bus from airport to Pamplona (1 bus change and took @ 5 hours). I reserved room for first night in Pamplona before I left home. I then started from Pamplona.
As for insurance I went through AAA and got medical insurance through a company named Aliance ( spelling). The policy was for $50k medical and 1 million medical travel and it cost me $41.00. I never had to use it, thank the Lord, but please do get insurance.
I also booked a hotel for the night before I flew out of Madrid before I left home.
Have a blast.

From Phoenix the only direct flight to Europe is the British Airways flight to London that goes out every night at 8:40 (BA288). That is a nice option since it's overnight, but there are certainly other options that will get you to Spain or France in 2 hops (American via Philly or Dallas, Delta via Seattle or MSP to Paris, or United via Chicago or Newark to Madrid or Paris, as just a few examples).

Take a look at www.google.com/flights to see what the options are and what the total travel time / price is for the various options. If your dates are kind of firm, you can even set up a fare alert (or alerts) to let you know when the price drops for your dates/destination.

As someone said above, AAA is a great option for tickets and insurance in one stop.

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino to you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have frequent flyer miles you can fly from home right into Biarritz Airport...Express Bourricot to SJpdP to start your Camino...also if you have frequent flyer miles you can fly right from the Santiago Airport back home...also I buy AIG Travel Insurance with extra medical and repatriation coverage...not that I ever used it but if something bad happens I want to get back into the USA...lastly the airlines does not matter as long as you get to the destination and home.

Hi VJ,

Try researching via Skyscanner (see below) or Kayak (https://www.kayak.com/). Dates for 2019 will not be available but you can do plenty of research re routes and costs for corresponding 2018 dates. If you plan the CF from SJPP, I suggest that you fly into Biarritz and take the taxi bus to SJ from the airport (see e.g. http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/ ). Alternatively you could fly into Madrid and take a bus to Pamplona and start there (see e.g. www.alsa.com/bus/alsa). The combinations are many and varied. You just gotta figure out what best suits you and your budget. Good luck with the research (it can be fun too...).

Aidan

1516626293474.png

Congratulations on planning your camino!! I hiked my first Camino last Sept/Oct. I flew from Tucson, Az to Madrid. Took a train to Pamplona, and taxi to St Jean. We had planned to take the bus, but a couple others we met at the train station offered to share a taxi, so the cost ended up being about the same (22 Euro for Bus, 100 euro split 4 ways for taxi). We found that very easy to navigate. Something to think about - we carried on our packs so our poles were in our packs. I have been told that in Spain, they do not allow poles in the airplanes, so you would have to check your bag.

Health Insurance: Call your insurance company and see what kind of coverage you have before purchasing any. My insurance company covers me 100% internationally. I had a bad fall about 8 km outside Castrojerez, fell head down on a big rock, and had a nasty cut requiring stitches just below my eyebrow. My camino angels all came to my rescue and took great care of me. A Dr stopped to assess my overall condition (no concussion, never lost consciousness !!) I was amazed at the supplies pilgrims have in their packs. One man stopped to check out the situation and immediately called an ambulance. I was drive back to Castrojerez where a Dr stitched me up and I was on my way. I did happen to spend the day at the Hospital for the Soul in Castojerez to recuperate before taking a taxi to Fromista. I offered to pay, and no one would take payment. They did take my insurance card information. It's been 4 months and I have not heard anything or seen any claims into my insurance company yet.

Have a great camino,

Jane

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

As others have said. It depends where you want to start from and of course time factor. I had 10-12 only last year so started from Le Puy and walked to Conques. Will start from Conque this yeart to SJDP.
Easy way for me was fly into Charles de Gaulle, fast train to Le Puy. So easy to do this.
Enjoy

I am walking the Camino in Sept/Oct 2018. I had great success booking a flight from Miami to Paris ($165 one way) and plan to take the train from Paris to SJPP. You might want to check the east coast departure points to either Paris, Madrid or Barcelona and find a reasonable fare, either one way or round trip, then build the best connecting flight from Phoenix. This saved me about $1000. I watched it on a private browser on Kayak and Vayama and was able to book it about 10-11 months out. Best to you.

In April 2017 flew to Madrid, had a 90 Euro 3 hour train to Pamplona (which I booked in advance) then paid 130 Euros to get a 1 hour taxi ride to SJPP. I shared the taxi with 3 other walkers that I met at the Pamplona train station. Cheap and no problems.

Coming home from Santiago de Compostella I took a 100 Euro 4-5 hour train ride to Madrid and flew home. I only booked this train after I arrived in Santiago. If you don't like the train, you can fly from Santiago to Madrid for about 130 Euros if you book ahead. Have fun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back