• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Severe allergies on the camino?

YasminVdC

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Leon to Compostela (September 2015)
Camino SJP to Burgos (July 2017)
Hello fellow pilgrims,

Lots of your topics are very useful, but I have a rather specific problem that I would like to get your ideas on:

Unfortunally I have some very bad allergies regarding bedding, dust mites, ...
I will be bringing my own sleepingbag and pillow (otherwise sleeping will not be an option), but I would also like to get your ideas on extra tips and tricks.
How is the bedding in most albergues? I hear wild stories about bedbugs, lice and overall not so nice sleeping accomodations. I also hear it is not an 'albergues problem', but also in hostels, hotels, etc.
And although these wild stories will not keep me from going, please do keep in mind that it's a serious problem for me and could possibly ruin my camino.
I will be bringing my medication, but unfortunally that doesn't always cut it.
Would it be wise to bring a plastic matresscover? Or is that just a wast of space?

Thank you in advance for any ideas youngiys might have for my little problem!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have similar kinds of allergies and asthma and find a geographic cure is always beneficial. The constant changing environment doesn't give my body a chance to react to what afflicts it. In addition the exercise for your lungs is very healthy. Depending on when you are walking be aware the cotton wood trees are snowing all over Spain for the next month or so. I don't think a plastic mattress cover is going to help much, just do the meds.

I see you are from Belgium. Here in the US I use a nasal steroid called Flonase that reduces the effects of allergans. If I were you , I would bring an allergy pillowcase and mattress cover and try to reduce your backpack weight on some other items. If you are allergic to things outdoors, look into outdoor cloth masks online. There are some that are more comfortable. Have you ever tried a netty pot to irrigate nasal passages? Dust mites thrive in humid weather. I imagine Galicia would be best to avoid during the rainy season or seasons. As far as bedbugs are concerned, there are some good suggestions in a recent thread titled "Bedbugs."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I searched to find the advice on bedbugs but didn't find it in the thread I mentioned. I might have picked up the advice in several places. So here goes what I remember.
1. Backpack. Treat your backpack with permethrin at home. Bring a plastic bag to to put it in when you set it down in your albergue.
2. Albergue. Check the bed especially in creases and corners. Looking for dark droppings. Use a can of bug repellent to spray over the mattress and bedbugs if present will be driven out of their hiding places. Ask for your money back and go elsewhere.
3. Treatment. Bring antihistamines and cortisone cream in case you do get bitten. I don't remember the name of the cream or lotion but a Spanish pharmacy can help you with this.
4. Decontaminating belongings. I'm less sure about this but I think it involves putting your belongings in a dryer to kill the bedbugs.
5. On return home. Put all your belongings, before you bring them into your home, in a big plastic bag and place them in the sun where the bag can heat up for a couple of days.

SeaToSummit coolmax sleeping liner with insect shield has also been recommended to place on your bed but it is rough and you'll probably want to put something on it. Or treat your own fitted sheet with permethrin.

I've read that cold only puts them in hibernation.

Permethrin is derived from chrysanthemums or is a synthetic version and is unstable on the skin and does not get absorbed. Some homemade recipes with natural ingredients are also available in bedbug threads.

Last edited:
I normally use a buff to cover my nose,mouth, and ears when I travel in parts of Asia and even in the bush of Alaska. We also have various types of biting insects. The noseeums being the worst. It may be helpful for the dust mites I don't know for sure about that, but it worked for me on my last trip to the Goebe. It takes a little getting use to sleeping with, but it works for me.The camino is quite pleasant and very clean from my personal experience. I to suffer from allergies in the spring. The yellow flowers did a number on me this year,but with the Medes from the farmacia all was good. The accomidations that I stayed in we're all very clean . Enjoy your journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I sympathise as i suffer from hayfever. Azelastine spray is what works for me. It is available in france and is much better value for money than australia.

Not sure if it works on dust allergies or is available in spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.