• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Severe bed bugs in Pamplona alberque sept 8, 2010

panchaplancha

The Jesus and Maria Alberque very close to the cathredral in Pamplona has an infestation. On Wednesday September 8, two pilgrims suffered multiple bites. The alberque did not seem to be concerned at all and offered very little help. I saw the after effects of the bites and cannot imagine having to deal with 20 to 30 bites all over your body. I would definately stay clear of this Alberque until someone can report that the facility has been treated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A bedbug feeds once from its host. It may not need to feed again for weeks or even months.
20-30 bites suggest the same number of bugs in one bed. That seems unlikely.

Steve.Belfast said:
A bedbug feeds once from its host. It may not need to feed again for weeks or even months.
20-30 bites suggest the same number of bugs in one bed. That seems unlikely.

In October 2010 I stayed in an alberque in Fonfria. The building was quite new and the beds and sheets were very clean. That night I had a restless night , scratching, and tried to tell myself " go to sleep. You have bedbugs on the brain!". When morning came and the light went on, I moved the blanket and the bed was crawling !! There were bugs everywhere !! I had 42 bites on my arm and leg. Thankfully I had antihistimines with me. By the time I reached Santiago I needed to visit a farmacia for cortisone ointment. Another peregrino had a very severe reaction. I met her 2 days later and she had decided to return home because she needed cortisone injections for over 50 bites !! She was from Spain so was close to home.

I don't mean to frighten anyone---------- I just wanted to say that multiple bedbugs are possible. I accepted this as just an obstacle on the way(but was annoyed at the time) and hope to do the VDLP next year. I will spray the beds next year !!
Sandra. ( Western Australia)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year I took a Lifesystems Bed Bug Under Sheet which is impregnated with formula to keep the bugs at bay.
We didn't see any bugs and didn't hear of anyone else being bitten but I slept soundly knowing that there was a permathrin treated shee between me and the mattress!
It cost £9 and weighs 117g.

I am also using the Lifesystems bed bug sheet treated with Permethrin and I do not think it smells at all. Actually Permethrin does not smell a lot, not even after treating your clothes and gear not after it has dried up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anyone have a link to purchase this?
I hesitated to use one last Camino, but I may have to resort to it this time.
Maybe if I buy it and air it out a bit before I go...

Life Systems web address is http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/
I have used a cotton sleeping bag liner split down the seam to get the best coverage of the bed after treating it by steeping it in a treatment EX 8 suitable for mosquito net.
Life systems products are readily available in all the outdoor shops here in Ireland and there is a shop link on the web site.
If you have difficulty pm me and I can help you.
John

Annie -

I've tried before to find a site to order from in North America but haven't been successful. One is Amazon UK, which I think I'll check out re shipping costs...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Ult ... B000PBXVIC (£16.99)

It's sold on Amazon by Worldwide Nets - Bellthorpe which looks to have a lot of other interesting gear as well - maybe the shipping is better there, but the cost for buying direct is much better.

http://www.worldwidenets.co.uk/(£8.99)

Does anyone have a better way to get this sheet? If so, could you please post a link?

Thanks.

lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a friend on the camino who was in the Albergue in Pamplona on the 8th. She has been itching ever since but has only just realised the gravity of the problem. She washed all her stuff in Santo Domingo but, like anyone who swears by modern materials, her gear recommends washing at 40 degrees, so she washed by hand and hung it in the sun. (I would have thought that would have done the trick but apparently it didn't) She now feels like a leper, the clinics only want to treat the symptoms but give no advice on treatment of the infestation.
What do you do when you're actually walking and washing has done no good? Please!
I'm planning to walk to Finisterre withher!! :?
Sue

Hi,

Option one time required one afternoon
Buy bed bug spray in any pharmacia ask them for their recommendation
Get a large 2 large bin/garden bags put your stuff loosely in one (if you has lots of stuff may need two loads) and your pack in the other bag.
Spray generously into the bags shaking clothing and turning pack a few times to get good cover.
Tie top of bags securely and leave for at least 2 hours (see directions on spray for timing)
Take items out and leave to air and dry-if sensitive wash clothing before wearing.
If doing this in a public area or outside your albergue then make sure you're 'downwind' when spaying so that others don't get any bedbug spray 'blowback'.

Option two time required 3 days minimum
Find large freezer (if you have access to industrial 'walk in' freezer even better) and put all your stuff in the freezer for least 3 days but the longer you leave it the better. I left mine in a friends industrial unit for a 2 or 3 weeks just to be sure to be sure :? .

Good luck

Thanks I'll pass that on.
I've come to the conclusion that winter is the best time to do the camino, I had no problems and heard of none :D
Sue

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.