• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Severe joint and muscle pain post Camino Frances

Mike, 18 months ago I got the same symptoms as you! Your description is textbook for me. I had just returned from a trek in Nepal. With your CRP elevated (and likely sed rate too but not always), you could have what is called Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR). The best thing about it is, it is NOT a lifetime sentence! It runs it's course over usually 2-5 years but averages 2-3 usually. I am a retired critical care RN and diagnosed myself. The bad thing is, the rheumatologist has only one thing to offer for the pain and stiffness...steroids. To get a definitive diagnosis, you can do the trial of steroids (per your doctor) for a month and if your symptoms disappear (mine totally did after the first 3 days of the pill), it is considered definitive. I've had it bad for 18 months but I continue to exercise, do yoga, walk a lot and even hike in the mountains once a week and my husband and I will do the camino in Portugal next March come hell or high water. But the symptoms are far worse and most often at rest and are very challenging, especially because the pain and stiffness migrates all over the place at different times and its hard to sleep. But beat it!!!! I chose not to stay on steroids due to the long-term effects (I question if the cure is more harmful than the disease!) but many others can't take the pain. I wish you well and keep a positive attitude. I'd thought my trek triggered it, but it tends to be genetic and runs in Scandanvians and Northern Europeans four-fold, and usually hits people age 45-80 yrs of age. Good luck! I swear it sounds like that's what you have. I hope this helps you out.
Hi loumura, I was interested to read your post as I have Pmr too. Did you say that you are not taking the steroids? How are you managing? Are you taking anything? I couldn't imagine walking the Camino, I can barely walk down the road some days!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi loumura, I was interested to read your post as I have Pmr too. Did you say that you are not taking the steroids? How are you managing? Are you taking anything? I couldn't imagine walking the Camino, I can barely walk down the road some days!
My older sister was diagnosed with pmr at around age 60 and hers was quite extreme as she had the severe headaches sometimes associated with it. After being diagnosed it needed to be treated with prednizone for quite a few years. She passed away three years ago, but from an unrelated health issue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.