• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Severely Visually Impaired Walking Portuguese Coastal Sept 2021

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi!
I hope to walk the coastal route next year as a solo traveller;i have travelled solo before in Europe several times.
When exploring these destinations i had options as to which direction to go ;based on local knowledge.
Whereas the camino has one destination Santiago.

My question relates to the terrain on the coastal route and obviously the central route thereafter with regard to my vision(I will use my long cane,leaving my G/dog in UK. I know i will be OK on footpaths,roadside walking ,boardwalks, beach and level forest paths,up and down hills /slopes) however i have no depth perception,peripheral vision,minimal central vision and night blindness otherwise i'm fine ha!ha!.
What i need to know is are there any stretches of boulders to clamber over or rock strewn tracks to travel over.
If there are any difficult stretches like this could somebody give me the heads up so i can bypass them; perhaps by bus or taxi! I know this is not in the spirit of camino but rather skip a part than ending up breaking something.
Any help greatly appreciated Woody66

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is relatively flat on all of the routes, on the coastal the day after cross the Mina River on the ferry is not so easy with some climbing and rocky paths and getting transportation once you are across the river would need some serious research but I suspect you could find a way to organize a taxi. The interior route has a tough hill and lots of boulders the day after Ponte de Lima. I can't remember any other hurdles but it has been a few since I walked both routes.

Like @biarritzdon writes : the rocky boulders after Ponte de Lima are a bit tricky.
Also there are some narrow roads in between Vila do Conde and Barcelos where the roadside walking felt a bit dangerous because the cars were driving rather too close to the " footpath ". After Barcelos roads are safer, no cobblestones either.

Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I forgot the mention that sketchy road walk, it is short but it is definitely white knuckle territory. A guard rail making you the target for a large truck

Hi!
Many thanks to you all for your helpful replies! I think i will be okay. In my head i think i can do it,otherwise no point taking it on.
I know i will be slow on the rocky bits (any idea approx how long these stretches last/took you to cover?)
I don't give up easy;but i suppose it's the time taken to cover these rocky bits in daylight.
It is important for me as when dusk/night comes i cannot see a thing literally!
Thankyou again Woody66

Hi!
Many thanks to you all for your helpful replies! I think i will be okay. In my head i think i can do it,otherwise no point taking it on.
I know i will be slow on the rocky bits (any idea approx how long these stretches last/took you to cover?)
I don't give up easy;but i suppose it's the time taken to cover these rocky bits in daylight.
It is important for me as when dusk/night comes i cannot see a thing literally!
Thankyou again Woody66

rocky.jpg

In my memory it did not last more than two kilometres but I'm pretty bad in estimating so I hope someone can give more correct info. Here is a pic of the surface.

It is in between Codeçal and Alto da Portela ( link included of the Gronze website ). Says 4 k but the rocky part is only a part of it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!
Oh if that's the sort of path and it doesn't get much worse HAPPY DAYS i know i can do that.
I went up the Trodos mountains in Cyprus to see a waterfall with my two kids (20 and 23) they said it will be fine dad; the path up had boulders and rocks 60 to 70 cm plus it was hell especially coming down (having no depth perception)but did it with their help though. The picture has lifted my spirits thanks Woody66

Hi!
Oh if that's the sort of path and it doesn't get much worse HAPPY DAYS i know i can do that.
I went up the Trodos mountains in Cyprus to see a waterfall with my two kids (20 and 23) they said it will be fine dad; the path up had boulders and rocks 60 to 70 cm plus it was hell especially coming down (having no depth perception)but did it with their help though. The picture has lifted my spirits thanks Woody66

Yup...if you can handle the Trodos mountains you can tackle the Portugues rocks. Detail of my picture was just before ' the top ".

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for your time and help i looked at loads of pictures i will be fine i know i wil; best wishes Woody66

In the true spirit of the Camino I believe you will find helpful pilgrims nearby who are more than willing to give you a hand in helping to guide you over a few stretches that may cause a bit of trouble for you.
All the best to you for a successful journey!

I recall a spectacular fall with a trip over a tree root when we took the river route into Pontevedra, but you could take the road instead

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The way up that hill after Ponte de Lima was steep and had roots and some rocks. There was a road there--we crossed it to climb the hill--but I don't know if it was an alternate way to the destination or went somewhere else entirely. The way down had really big rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_20150625_104036.jpg
    IMG_20150625_104036.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 27
  • TLL camino portugues 724.JPG
    TLL camino portugues 724.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
Hi!
I hope to walk the coastal route next year as a solo traveller;i have travelled solo before in Europe several times.
When exploring these destinations i had options as to which direction to go ;based on local knowledge.

My question relates to the terrain on the coastal route and obviously the central route thereafter with regard to my vision(I will use my long cane,leaving my G/dog in UK. I know i will be OK on footpaths,roadside walking ,boardwalks, beach and level forest paths,up and down hills /slopes) however i have no depth perception,peripheral vision,minimal central vision and night blindness otherwise i'm fine ha!ha!.
What i need to know is are there any stretches of boulders to clamber over or rock strewn tracks to travel over.
If there are any difficult stretches like this could somebody give me the heads up so i can bypass them; perhaps by bus or taxi! I know this is not in the spirit of camino but rather skip a part than ending up breaking something.

I walked Camino Portuguese Sept/Oct 2019, staying on the Senda Litoral as far as I could, and there were two issues that I recall that would be relevant to your plans...

Firstly, the trail after Hotel Sorrema heads inland en route to San Pedro da Ramallosa, and the surface became somewhat rough and slippery - no unmanageable, but I was glad at the time that the weather was dry. I could understand the path being much more difficult for a sight impaired pilgrim...

Secondly, the Senda Litoral became increasingly less well marked the further I went, to the point that I lost the way altogether and had to improvise. If I were to be doing it again, I would make sure that I had good live mapping capability (smart phone and an appropriate app with the Senda Littoral marked). I was hampered by having a Portuguese SIM card that didn't work in Spain - not an uncommon experience, I gather from a Spanish phone shop...

Good luck with your planing and I hope your plans come to fruition!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi!

Hello,
I can't recall all the terrain variations, but I'm certain you will have guidance from others, depending on the amount of pilgrims, and which month, generally From Porto it has a considerable higher number of hikers.
I really had been planning for this September to do a Spanish walk, but as we all know the world is
upside down and needs to heal.
If you would like a walking companion, I would very much like a reason to go back on The Portugues.
I am American but I do speak Portugues , which can be very helpful.
Hopefully by then I will be allowed to enter The EU once again with my American passport.
Let me know if you would be interested in a walking partner. My time will be very open in 2021.
No matter, you will have an incredible time, with no problems.
All the best ,
Elizabeth

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Elizabeth!
Thank you for your kind offer; it's very comforting to know there are still people of generous spirit like you in the world and i hope to meet more on my adventure next year.
But for numerous reasons past and present, it is my intention to try and achieve as much of the camino as i can under my own efforts without support; although its inevitable i will need some! Trying to prove my own worth to myself i suppose! (if that makes sense).
In my first post I said i'm heading for September next year as a definite and will work towards this (Covid 19 and health permitting) I will remember you and hope that if you do make it to the camino, hopefully our paths will cross and we can say hi. I expect i will be easier for you to spot as not that many guys with long white canesi expect. So just keep a lookout for a tall guy ; asking directions from a lamppost or a tree ha!ha! Very best wishes Alan.

Hey Alan,
Excellent .... you will certainly have a great adventure.
Just to let you know I am not all that kind , I am actually the one in need of guidance, I have a tendency to get lost or side tracked and generally like to have a partner in crime to help me out !
I am a tall blonde with blue walking sticks that you may find lost in the woods , perhaps we'll meet on the same Wrong path 😉
Enjoy,
Elizabeth

Hi!

[/Quote. Definitely some tough terrain.
Hi!

There are some areas that you would have great difficulty. One in particular is the stage to Rubiaes. I am in excellent physical condition but found that I had to nearly crawl over the rocks on an incline. Also, the way to Vilaboa, Redondela, and Pontevedra had some very tricky areas. I suggest finding a fellow pilgrim to help you navigate.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back