• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sevilla or Mérida to Santiago

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
I am planning to start the via la plata near the end of April. Currently I am still not sure if I can get enough time for this journey. An alternative is to start from Mérida instead of Sevilla.

Still waiting for my guidebook to arrive by mail. In the meantime, will I be missing much starting from Mérida?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I cannot answer about what you will be missing, although missing Sevilla would be a bummer,,,,, as I have heard so many great stories about the area and Santiponce just outside Sevilla to see Italica. After that I am not sure. How much time do you have? Maybe you could put your info on the Calendar below so that we can see where we will be along the Via. I should be in Sevilla around the 3rd of May and start walking the 5th.
Another option is to do what some people do on the Camino Frances, which is to skip the Meseta, and jsut do the beginning and the end. Then too I do not know what you would miss.
Hasta la Via
Lillian

Thanks Lillian,

Actually I plan to be in Santiago for a reunion on 4th June with some of the pilgrims I know during my Camino Frances in 2006. One is taking the Portuguese route while others are going via Camino Frances to Leon, then a bus to Oviedo for the Camino Primitivo. As for me I will be going up via la plata. I just started preparing for the camino and really hope to be able to begin in Sevilla latest 28th April else it would be cutting it too thin.

I will still try to make it as plan. The Mérida start is just in case I would not be able to get there on time. I will try not to miss Sevilla. I was there many years ago and it was a place not to be missed, even the second time around.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Evan and thanks for all the info you once sent me about the Primitivo. You would make Santiago on the 4th of June if you start walking from Sevilla on the 28th of April. There would be no "rest" days though. You could have a short day walking into Merida in the morning and having the rest of the day free. The same with Ourense. On the La Plata you do have a quite a few days with 30 km plus, but I assume you know that. Alison says 42 days and we planned on that, but in fact used 35 days. All the best and enjoy Sevilla!

Kevin and Kari O'Brien

PS: We turned left at Granja de Moruela and went via the Padornelo and Ourense.

Thanks Kevin,

I'm glad the information on Camino Primitivo was helpful. It's a nice way if you only have 2 weeks (14 days) to do a camino. A very quiet route, and like the via la Plata, it has a great nice starting city (Oviedo).

I've decided to go for the full route for the via la Plata.

Based on your information. I'm giving myself a 5 day buffer (35 + 5 days). I will be in Sevilla around the evening of 22 April. So I will probably be looking at starting around 25th April.

The guide book which I just received today "Walking the via la Plata" by Ben Cole has only the option of going via Ourense. It seems to be the default route even though there are a few other alternatives.

Hello Evan, good to hear from you again. 35 + 5 days sounds very good. Its lovely to wander round Caceres for a day and the Museum and the Theatre in Merida must be seen!
Not forgetting Salamanca and Ourense.
Alison has an alternative route which turns right at Granja de Moruerela and goes straight north to Astorga on the Camino Frances (about 4 days) The best route however (personal opinion) is via Ourense. Then you have a "unified" Camino all the way and it is completely unique. At the end of the way in from Ponta Ulla there is a an amazing sight waiting for you.
Best wishes
Kevin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kevin,

Definitely will go via Ourense. Already done the Camino Frances, so Astorga is out. In any case, the guide book I just received "Walking the via la Plata" by Ben Cole only has the route to Ourense.

Now I am wondering if anyone out there will be walking the via la Plata around the 24/25 April from Sevilla?

Hi!

I`ll start VDLP on Sunday 20.04 or Monday 21.04 from Sevilla to Compostela via Ourense.
I have time till 3. of June, and i think it is enough. last year i`ve done Camino Frances in the same time of the year from SJPDP, and also one part in october, because i had bed weather on O`Cebreiro in may, in october was fantastic.
I wish you best on your way.

Ivan

Hello Evan and Ivan, there you go Evan, you might just have to walk a bit fast to catch Ivan!!
Seriously, Evan, we noticed in the Spring of 2006 that there were (relatively speaking) quite a few people out walking. One evening we were as many as ten people in the refugio, which is a lot for Via de la Plata. It is becoming more and more popular and most people walk in the Spring.
It is a good thought for me to think of you both wandering along through the spring flowers in Extramadura.

Best

Kevin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am currently in Sevilla, staying at a friend's place. Will be starting my camino on Friday 25th Apr before I get too cosy as his guest to begin my camino.

I will be updating my journey whenever I can in my blog.

http://camino.wificat.com

A parting note. The mother of my friend's wife when heard that this is my third camino has this to say...

"3 times! He must have done something really bad!"

Evanlow

Best wishes for the 25th - a fabulous route lies ahead. I hope you have many adventures...and maybe you are doing a third pilgrimage because the first was for the sins of commission, the second for sins of omission and now the third for the sins you have still to commit :) Or maybe just because you enjoyed the first two you are doing the third!

Buen Camino

John

Hello Evan, you have a great sense of humour, which is, lets face it, all you really need to walk in Spain. Have a great time on the "La Plata". There is a nice coffee bar right next to the first "concha" if you start early. Buen Camino amigo.

Kevin

PS Thanks for the blog!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back