A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

LIVE from the Camino Sevilla to Guillena - River Crossing Flooded Today.

pitztop

Infected with the Camino Virus
Camino(s) past & future
2014 - CF & Fisterra
2015 - Zurich > Le Puy > SdC > Muxia > Fisterra
2017 - VdlP & Fisterra
Due to very heavy rain in the Sevilla area on Friday (28 April 2017), there has been quite a bit of flooding. The arroyo Molinos (the stream that needs to be forded on the way to Guillena from Sevilla) was a full blown river this morning (29 April 2017). As we were walking towards the fording point, we were met by pilgrims walking back along the way. They told us that the water was easily chest high or higher and flowing fast. They also told us that the alternative route (short cut to the N-630) was also flooded and unusable. We had to walk all the way back to Santiponche and pick up the N-630 there. Due to the amount of water, I don't think it will be possible to ford the arroyo Molinos for the next few days. The good news is that there is no for rain forecast for the next week. Even walking into Santiponche this morning (29 April 2017) required wading without boots I places. The only possible walking route today was to walk on the N-630 out of Santiponche and then the A-460 into Guillena. Although there is a good shoulder for walking on both roads, there is a lot of fast traffic.

The first photo is us wading on the way into Santiponche.

The second photo is the arroyo Molinos, taken looking upstream from an auto rest stop, as it passes under the N-630.

The third photo is the arroyo Molinos, taken looking down stream, as it flows under the A-66 toward the fording point.

Attachments

Advertisment

A

Anemone del Camino

Yikes! I am sure those who read this and were planning to walk this way are grateful for your post. A permanent webcam with footage available at the Triana albergue would be nice to have. :D

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2015, CPo 2016, VDLP[Sev-Các] 2017, VDLP[Các-Sal] 2018
We left Fuente de Cantos on Saturday and were told by our lovely hosts in El Zaguan before we left that the normal route was impasssable. They printed off an alternative map for us. Since then we have had no problems though it is still cold and showery.

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Thanks for the info. I'm in the planning stage and wasn't expecting a river crossing on the first day, I'll be leaving middle of march so hopefully some dry weather. Are there any other river crossings on the journey to SDC?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Thanks for the info. I'm in the planning stage and wasn't expecting a river crossing on the first day, I'll be leaving middle of march so hopefully some dry weather. Are there any other river crossings on the journey to SDC?
It seems to be highly variable and dependent on the immediate weather. I walked from Seville to Astorga in March-April 2017 and never once had to remove my boots to get across water. However I saw a number of places where a good rainstorm and flooding would have created the need to wade across. Those places are mentioned in the Kelly guide and in the thread by @SYates.

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
It seems to be highly variable and dependent on the immediate weather. I walked from Seville to Astorga in March-April 2017 and never once had to remove my boots to get across water. However I saw a number of places where a good rainstorm and flooding would have created the need to wade across. Those places are mentioned in the Kelly guide and in the thread by @SYates.
Thank you, I have the G Kelly guide and loads of info to wade through.

wes

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2006) VdlP to Carceres (2010) Frances (2013) Portugues (2016)
My wife and I crossed the Molinos in April several years ago and the water was chest-deep. We followed an athletic young Swedish woman, and scrambled over on top of flotsam, mostly tree branches. It was a tricky business, wearing backpacks and with boots tied around our necks, but we made it without falling in. Having a laugh about the experience over a drink later that evening, we agreed it hadn't been very smart. The problem is, any diversion is time-consuming and involves unpleasant walking on the edge of busy main roads.

Last edited:

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
A good warning pitztop, to be prepared, to check out weather reports or ask around the evening before.
Same situation last year in 2016, but a little later in mid May, a week of constant rain, arroyo Molinos flooded ... so we stayed on the road (N630 I guess). Not as exciting and i hate road walking, but I'm also very wary of flooded rivers.

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
I hope it's fine and sunny wherever you are now, pitztop. Buen camino.

Last edited:

amancio

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Aragon, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno
No worries: the first stage out of Seville is not particularly glamorous, as it happens with most routes out of big cities. I would recommend skipping the first stage, take a bus to Guillena and thus avoid complications, even if the river is easy enough to cross, it is not a particularly attractive walk itself. If you arrive in Seville a couple of days ahead, do take some time and take the bus to Santiponce to visit the roman ruins in Italica, birth place of Roman emperor Traianus

If you take the bus to Guillena, get off in the last bus stop and just follow the road for a couple of kms before entering an industrial park, crossing olive and orange orchards and then discover the inmense natural beauty of the Dehesa landscape after crossing an iron gate!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%