• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Sevilla to Guillena - River Crossing Flooded Today - April 29, 2017.

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago

pitztop

Solvitur ambulando
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 - Camino de Levante
Due to very heavy rain in the Sevilla area on Friday (28 April 2017), there has been quite a bit of flooding. The arroyo Molinos (the stream that needs to be forded on the way to Guillena from Sevilla) was a full blown river this morning (29 April 2017). As we were walking towards the fording point, we were met by pilgrims walking back along the way. They told us that the water was easily chest high or higher and flowing fast. They also told us that the alternative route (short cut to the N-630) was also flooded and unusable. We had to walk all the way back to Santiponche and pick up the N-630 there. Due to the amount of water, I don't think it will be possible to ford the arroyo Molinos for the next few days. The good news is that there is no for rain forecast for the next week. Even walking into Santiponche this morning (29 April 2017) required wading without boots I places. The only possible walking route today was to walk on the N-630 out of Santiponche and then the A-460 into Guillena. Although there is a good shoulder for walking on both roads, there is a lot of fast traffic.

The first photo is us wading on the way into Santiponche.

The second photo is the arroyo Molinos, taken looking upstream from an auto rest stop, as it passes under the N-630.

The third photo is the arroyo Molinos, taken looking down stream, as it flows under the A-66 toward the fording point.

Attachments

• IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3155.JPG
    IMG_3155.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 210
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yikes! I am sure those who read this and were planning to walk this way are grateful for your post. A permanent webcam with footage available at the Triana albergue would be nice to have. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We left Fuente de Cantos on Saturday and were told by our lovely hosts in El Zaguan before we left that the normal route was impasssable. They printed off an alternative map for us. Since then we have had no problems though it is still cold and showery.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the info. I'm in the planning stage and wasn't expecting a river crossing on the first day, I'll be leaving middle of march so hopefully some dry weather. Are there any other river crossings on the journey to SDC?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info. I'm in the planning stage and wasn't expecting a river crossing on the first day, I'll be leaving middle of march so hopefully some dry weather. Are there any other river crossings on the journey to SDC?
It seems to be highly variable and dependent on the immediate weather. I walked from Seville to Astorga in March-April 2017 and never once had to remove my boots to get across water. However I saw a number of places where a good rainstorm and flooding would have created the need to wade across. Those places are mentioned in the Kelly guide and in the thread by @SYates.

It seems to be highly variable and dependent on the immediate weather. I walked from Seville to Astorga in March-April 2017 and never once had to remove my boots to get across water. However I saw a number of places where a good rainstorm and flooding would have created the need to wade across. Those places are mentioned in the Kelly guide and in the thread by @SYates.

Thank you, I have the G Kelly guide and loads of info to wade through.

My wife and I crossed the Molinos in April several years ago and the water was chest-deep. We followed an athletic young Swedish woman, and scrambled over on top of flotsam, mostly tree branches. It was a tricky business, wearing backpacks and with boots tied around our necks, but we made it without falling in. Having a laugh about the experience over a drink later that evening, we agreed it hadn't been very smart. The problem is, any diversion is time-consuming and involves unpleasant walking on the edge of busy main roads.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A good warning pitztop, to be prepared, to check out weather reports or ask around the evening before.
Same situation last year in 2016, but a little later in mid May, a week of constant rain, arroyo Molinos flooded ... so we stayed on the road (N630 I guess). Not as exciting and i hate road walking, but I'm also very wary of flooded rivers.

I hope it's fine and sunny wherever you are now, pitztop. Buen camino.

Last edited:

No worries: the first stage out of Seville is not particularly glamorous, as it happens with most routes out of big cities. I would recommend skipping the first stage, take a bus to Guillena and thus avoid complications, even if the river is easy enough to cross, it is not a particularly attractive walk itself. If you arrive in Seville a couple of days ahead, do take some time and take the bus to Santiponce to visit the roman ruins in Italica, birth place of Roman emperor Traianus

If you take the bus to Guillena, get off in the last bus stop and just follow the road for a couple of kms before entering an industrial park, crossing olive and orange orchards and then discover the inmense natural beauty of the Dehesa landscape after crossing an iron gate!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back