• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seville -- street crime....

• Thread starter Deleted member 43780
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43780

Over the years I have heard and seen it all. From the mute women, to the ones taking a poll, to "hey is this your ring?" , to the nice guy who offers to "share the cost of a meal," and more.

I grew up in Seville and Ferrol. Spend much time now in both. So know both very well.

The people of Seville ((sevillanos (feminine form: sevillanas) or hispalenses)) are warm and wonderful. They will help you.

Few years back crime was getting out of hand in Seville. Over the years there has been a great effort to stop/prevent street crime in Seville. And it has worked.

The best example of this is the Almeda de Hercules district of Seville. Twenty something years ago you would not want to be in that district on the side streets. Day or night! Crime, drugs, whore houses, street muggings, street fighting, stabbings, etc. Now that district is cleaned up.

Among other street crimes, here in Seville there has been rash of two guys posing as police officers.
These guys are well dressed. They ask for "papers" or state "checking for fake money bills". or some sort of other reasons. They ask for wallet.
The dumb tourist hands over their wallet. Bam these guys are gone. And so is the money, credit cards etc.

From what I have learned from police here: they will not keep your credit cards. They will do a quick transaction. If that works then will run a larger charge. Only once. Or, the cards are sold to others who know how to "milk" the card even better. They trash your wallet. Taking only cash bills. They do not want to ever be caught with your ID on them. Or anything that can link them to a crime.

Majority of the time in Spain you will not be approached by a police officer in civilian clothes. Almost always will be uniformed police. And two of them in uniforms. With proper ID.

One American guy was smart enough to yell loudly "POLICIA" "POLICE" "POLICE" when such guys tried this trick. They took off with no goodies.

Be careful. Be safe. Be aware of your soundings. Dont let worrying about crime over ride your enjoyment of Seville or other places in Spain.

I have never heard of problems with taxi drivers in Seville. Riding a taxi here is safe. Even heard of people leaving their wallet, purse, bags etc in the taxi and the driver went out of his way to find them for return.

The two bus stations Seville: Prado de San Sebastian and the Plaza de Armas bus station. The Prado station is very safe all hours. I personally know a few of the security and police who work the station. They run undesirables out. Good security there.
But, be careful at Plaza de Armas. While I have not had any issues there myself at night. There have been incidents of crime there.

Main train station: there has been a few grabbing of bags there. One even inside of MacDonalds! But over all a safe place.

Always keep a eye on your bag. I use a light weight cable and small pad lock for my pack. Lock it to chair or table. So when going to get another drink or to order my bag is safe. I always ask the family type sitting close to my bag to please watch bag. Then ask them if I can get them anything from the bar.

Baggage lockers at both bus stations. Armas you have to pay and get key from the information booth. Prado you pay locker directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Felt very safe in Sevilla. Loved it. Such a shame some people take advantage of others.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back