• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sexism in outdoor clothing

In WW2 the underbellies of some Spitfire fighter planes were painted duck egg blue (to make them harder to spot from underneath against the sky) - now aircraft are frequently called "she" but a fighter plane is definitely macho so do we have here an early example of unisex materiel?
Even more curiously some were painted PINK

View attachment 58482

(as @davebugg said - not a serious thread!)

And in WW1 many battleships were painted in “Dazzle camouflage” in an attempt to make it difficult for the enemy to estimate range and speed; Inspired the “Op Art” movement of the 50-60’ties.

Traditionally ships are referred to as “she” but I guess it’s a matter of personal opinion if it appears “girlish”

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ooohhh

maybe found in next year’s offerings for base layers featuring

lightweight suspension

(ahhh… post #109 and on came in while I was thinking about the rest of this, lost my timing)

Seriously though, I too have a love/hate feeling with regard to clothes when I’m shopping in my local outdoor shop. I see the men’s clothing racks number about half that of the women’s - with all the selection described.

I get it. men don’t shop. at least not in the eyes of marketing departments. maybe a different rubric should be considered? I’m shopping. I’m just not buying.

I also don’t have the fortune of going over to the women’s racks to see if something fits. Not to say I’m an elephant, but I was gifted with a muscular form (sometimes more squishy than fit). Oh to be an elephant! Some serious other worries, just not clothes.

There are some very cool colors over in the women’s clothing too. I would definitely wear something in hunter green or wine. Good luck finding that in men’s (well… the later could be extemporized…)

Pockets are cool too. When home I like having my cash and keys. When traveling I swap the keys for a small swiss army knife/corkscrew in pockets that don’t advertise its there. A closable side pocket just large enough for my cellphone and id/debit/credit card sleeve is a nice extra. When there is a chance of sitting, rear pockets are useless for the fragile bendable/breakables. When walking, my rucksack’s hip belt pockets take over the carry, just easier to access.

Lots of big pockets? I value and honor those of us who are first responders or in service.

But I’m not carrying a clotting kit or CPR mask. A demi-baguette or water bottle are not going to ride well. And though Hospitallers et al. are part of the early military history of Santiago I am not feeling a pilgrim’s vibe in something that feels like utilities.

If I was feeling commando I’d go for a Utilikilt, but the price and cotton content. Probably not

Though a rain kilt from Antigravity Gear looks good. I’m thinking about it. Depends on the season I walk.
What is it about what we wear that defines us?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
ooohhh

maybe found in next year’s offerings for base layers featuring

lightweight suspension

(ahhh… post #109 and on came in while I was thinking about the rest of this, lost my timing)

Seriously though, I too have a love/hate feeling with regard to clothes when I’m shopping in my local outdoor shop. I see the men’s clothing racks number about half that of the women’s - with all the selection described.

I get it. men don’t shop. at least not in the eyes of marketing departments. maybe a different rubric should be considered? I’m shopping. I’m just not buying.

I also don’t have the fortune of going over to the women’s racks to see if something fits. Not to say I’m an elephant, but I was gifted with a muscular form (sometimes more squishy than fit). Oh to be an elephant! Some serious other worries, just not clothes.

There are some very cool colors over in the women’s clothing too. I would definitely wear something in hunter green or wine. Good luck finding that in men’s (well… the later could be extemporized…)

Pockets are cool too. When home I like having my cash and keys. When traveling I swap the keys for a small swiss army knife/corkscrew in pockets that don’t advertise its there. A closable side pocket just large enough for my cellphone and id/debit/credit card sleeve is a nice extra. When there is a chance of sitting, rear pockets are useless for the fragile bendable/breakables. When walking, my rucksack’s hip belt pockets take over the carry, just easier to access.

Lots of big pockets? I value and honor those of us who are first responders or in service.

But I’m not carrying a clotting kit or CPR mask. A demi-baguette or water bottle are not going to ride well. And though Hospitallers et al. are part of the early military history of Santiago I am not feeling a pilgrim’s vibe in something that feels like utilities.

If I was feeling commando I’d go for a Utilikilt, but the price and cotton content. Probably not

Though a rain kilt from Antigravity Gear looks good. I’m thinking about it. Depends on the season I walk.
What is it about what we wear that defines us?
So, are you a male or female? Either way, you belong on the "Not a Serious thread"...seriously! Join us!

I’ve been reading (lurking) there for awhile. A little bit each night to shape my dreams in mirth. I’ve mostly got a witty-nimble inferiority complex to just jump in 😁
myself, male
I thought you were probably a male because you talked about kilts, but not sure as you mentioned the women's clothing department, too! Hope I didn't offend to not know for sure.
Aww, come on, we on the "Not" thread, as we affectionately call it, are not scarey folks...it's all about silliness and stoopid nonsense, if that type of humor tickles your funny bone and we are looking for recruits!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve been reading (lurking) there for awhile. A little bit each night to shape my dreams in mirth. I’ve mostly got a witty-nimble inferiority complex to just jump in 😁
myself, male
My goodness, I see you just joined the forum today! You are the newest of the newbies! Welcome @hartfull! You will find everything you need for a successful camino and even more than you need here on this forum. I lurked for two years before signing up! I just finished my 5th Camino, but am no addict...nooo, not me, never! 😲

I really understand where you are coming from. For myself, I don't do PC. If I decide to use mariposa and am not intending it pejoratively, then if someone is offended that's their problem, not mine. I am not responsible, nor can I control someone else's offense nor how someone chooses to react.
I completely agree!!!!! Please do NOT tell me that you (SHO) are versed in EVERY nuance of EVERY slang word of EVERY language in the world.
Just because one perceives something I said as 'offensive' does not mean I meant it as such in which case it is 'your opinion vs mine' and what we CAN do is 'agree to disagree'. heck, I might find it 'offensive' that the insinuation was made and now what? Apologize to me for 'slandering my thoughts'?!
We have enough serious things to discuss on this Forum without veering off to the side on indivudual perceptions. And trust you me - I am saying all of this with the UTMOST respect for you and with no malice intended ✌
(Off the soap box)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sissy clothes, better stuff in the men’s department.
Hiking in the Alps I decided on signal red top just in case I fall down a ravine or such like to be easy spotted by the mountain rangers.
But on the Camino ecru served me well because it’s the same color of mud. So when I landed slipping and sliding in such bad boys I looked almost as nothing had happened except my war painted face. So after that no pinks and silly blues for me.
Who lived through the 80 remember that multi colored thong thingy Fonda work outfit.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am contemplating to wear one of these for my son's formal wedding :rolleyes:

View attachment 58573

if it goes well then I might contemplate on taking it into Camino
You can get away with it on the Camino. Everyone is loved and appreciated for who they are and their own "special uniqueness". 😁
You might think twice about it for your son's wedding though, as his bride may never let him visit you again!😂
BTW, Jane Fonda still looks exactly the same, only even better! 😅

1. I don't know, Chrissy! Somehow I cannot get the image of Ibrahim The Gypsy from my head when it comes to shirts like this
2. Perhaps thats the idea ;) Naw I wouldn't do it to her
3. Well... I was never too Fonda Hanoi Jane!

here is a story - 1991-92 somewhere in that time frame. The filming of the movie Gettysburg, which was financed and produced by her-then-husband Ted Turner. What some folks do not know is that he has a part in the movie. He plays Lt. Col. (CS) Waller Tazewell Patton (great-uncle of George S. Patton) who gets shot down during Pickett's Charge (its a small cameo and one has to know where to look for it in order to spot him; Just FYI - Ken Burns also has a cameo but on the Union side)

So...one of these morning Janey-girl decides to do nothing better that to take the double-breasted frock coat seen here, tie it around her hips and off she goes prancing out on the fields making goo-goo eyes at all the extras Reenactors in the area. (well, ya know, here I am, the wife of the Producer and all that). What she didn't count on was the fact that probably 80%+ of said Reenactors were Vietnam Vets. The hisses and boos went off without a hitch and SO LOUD!, she beat a hasty retreat back into the trailer and left that same day
😁

Last edited:
You are confusing me, Buffy. You just said you were the WIFE of the producer.😲
Yes, Jane Fonda was quite controversial back in the day, especially when married to Tom Hayden.

You are confusing me, Buffy. You just said you were the WIFE of the producer.😲
Yes, Jane Fonda was quite controversial back in the day, especially when married to Tom Hayden.
Point taken - the tread edited (insert Eyetalics)

OK... I'll give her Barbarella (for all the RIGHT reasons....🤪)

BUFFY! The vampire slayer!!!!! Hmmm... Buffy the Camino Vampire Slayer! This could be the start of something beautiful :rolleyes:

BUFFY! The vampire slayer!!!!! Hmmm... Buffy the Camino Vampire Slayer! This could be the start of something beautiful :rolleyes:
The italics don't help me out! I coined Buffy cuz then I don't have to keep capitalizing all your initials on my phone keypad...I'm kinda lazy. I've never seen the movie you mentioned. 😁

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A special offer of Merrell sandals online so I took a look.

All straps adjustable for him:

sandspur-herensandalen-riftstrap.jpg

Thin straps, no adjustment to speak of an pale blue with cross stitches for her

sandspur-lederen-damessandalen.jpg

Don't miss the Brown Sugar / Pomegranate design. All with colour coordinated soles. 🥴🥴

I'd take his sandals anytime, but his sizes start at 41.

Ohhh, I finally get it! Yes, Jane is the wife. The italics did help...duh!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A special offer of Merrell sandals online so I took a look.

All straps adjustable for him:

sandspur-herensandalen-riftstrap.jpg

Thin straps, no adjustment to speak of an pale blue with cross stitches for her

sandspur-lederen-damessandalen.jpg

Don't miss the Brown Sugar / Pomegranate design. All with colour coordinated soles. 🥴🥴

I'd take his sandals anytime, but his sizes start at 41.
I forwarded the pictures to my daughters for comments:

Daughter No1: "I particularly like the unnecessary cross stitch decoration - presumably they thought a clip on butterfly or flower would be over the top? The "ethnic" design on the sole is a nice touch . . "

Daughter No2: "SEE! I TOLD you!

I forwarded the pictures to my daughters for comments:

Daughter No1: "I particularly like the unnecessary cross stitch decoration - presumably they thought a clip on butterfly or flower would be over the top? The "ethnic" design on the sole is a nice touch . . "

Daughter No2: "SEE! I TOLD you!
Daughter #1 definately takes after her father. 😉

Thought I looked pretty cool in my beige gear last year, may have to rethink that one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the early days after our divorce Daughter No1 said "Mummy says 'every time you come back from seeing your Father you're more like him!' - I took it as a compliment but I'm not sure that's what she means"
Yes, a compliment...Jeff, even though your marriage wasn't reconcilable, why don't you come back to the "Not serious" thread...we still want you!

Edit- Well, how about at least paying us a visit once in awhile!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Probably won't be as visible, but (just so I am still in the spirit of the topic) I shall buy me these packing cubes:
View attachment 58609
Those are ancient and were removed from that pink WW2 airplane someone posted a couple of days ago...matchy matchy. You musta' been the highest bidder on Ebay to score them! They are awesome...but then I'm a laydee!

then they probably were Made in USA and not China and can withstand, like a 50-Richter scale earthquake and can survive living in, say, Winnie's War Rooms ;)

then they probably were Made in USA and not China and can withstand, like a 50-Richter scale earthquake and can survive living in, say, Winnie's War Rooms ;)
Yep, you are correct. Nothing was made in China back then...their population back then was only 100 peeps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
AND... and this is important... no peeps out of them at the time (OK this belongs on the not so serious thread :oops:)

back to the clothing

OH Wait.... methinks me found something
HOW, I ask you, did anyone EVER, went on Camino without Vera Bradley backpack?
Male or Female...

No, noo, neva! And I have a whopping 5 to my name...that's Caminos. Not VB packs...me an Osprey gal!
you FLY, Girlfriend!!!

Ca-mi-NO! As in 'singular' all-applying no matter which one you embark on. I go Frances - VB backpack comes with. I go VdLP - ditto, Norte - ditto.... and so on

and shouldn't there be an 'h' in that neva? as in NevaH!/?
else it's a river in St. Petersburg Russia :D

Dont get me started on womens hiking clothes. This September I'm taking my husband and my grandson with me to Spain. They had nothing in the way of hiking gear, absolutely nothing - so I have had to buy them everything. 13 year who hates shopping, is pretty happy to go shopping when he know its for him.
I started in Feb buying their stuff as the sales occur. So now they are sorted. And they love their gear, put it on and prance around the house in it.
I on the other hand cant find what I want - light coloured shorts with decent pockets.
I have been to every outdoor shop - I think I will have to buy mens, and then get them adjusted so they fit me. Makes me cross - yes I can buy skin tight, tiny pockets, calf length or really short. But no decent shorts.
It annoys me to have to buy something and then spend heaps having them altered.
Luckily I have everything else - although clearly I will look like a scruff in my old gear, whilst they are in their new shiny stuff.
Have you tried OR Ferrosi shorts? They come in 3 lengths, the longest being just about the knee.

@trecile take note.

Last week in the mountains (not far from where I met an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker in a kilt awhile back) Peg and I came across a woman backpacking in a white dress. Peg had to question her because she had read of this in Backpacker magazine. She replied "I love it."

I found a lot of my Camino clothing, here in the US, at thrift stores and on EBay. I love paying only $4 each for several quick drying shirts both long and short sleeve. I would try them all out on my practice walks and then narrowed down to the two lightest weight ones. I stumbled onto REI Sahara convertible pants for only $7 at a thrift shop and loved them so much I have found a couple more on EBay for only $15 each. New they are $80. I also found a great down vest that has been perfect for $5. And a rain jacket for $8. You do have to be patient and shop several stores multiple times but I found it worth the effort.
I get most of my clothes at thrift too, including for outdoors. It does take patience but it pays off when I find Kuhl pants for $3, or quick-dry tops. My favorite trekking poles were .50 at thrift!

As for men's versus women's, I am female but switched to mostly wearing men's clothes and shoes years ago. My pants need pockets, and women's are rarely long enough. I don't want shirts hugging my chest so a women's cut is out. Color differences are just wonky. We don't all like pink, flowery stuff!

Cloth should do one thing make you feel good.
On the Camino no matter what color you start with you end up almost all the time in a dustier version of mud.
And if you like pink yeah go for it . Remember my three year old daughter climbing trees in her pink tootoo.
One of the many thing on the Camino I love is that there are other things that are important like finding water a bed or making your stretch of the way and all the small and large wonders you can see.
But if a tootoo gets you up tree or that magic pullover protects you from falling off your bike when learning how ride it . Mission accomplished.
And if you you one of the people that can make a sack look good...... Funny thing we all can.
The only beef I have .... If the cloth maker produce for live style rather than for actual intended wear ...the practical and quality goes out the window. So the Trift shop finds show me how they look like after a season. Soon something gets comfy it rather falls apart or looks like save from the shredder machine. 🗿

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have you tried OR Ferrosi shorts? They come in 3 lengths, the longest being just about the knee.
I’m just preparing for my first Camino walk - for months I’ve investigated clothing, packs etc - I’m beginning to believe the clothing companies are quite sizest (I know, new word and no, I’m not a women’s libber!). I’m a tad overweight but definitely not obese. The size 16 pant which most companies have, are all snug - but that is the largest size they make! Can anyone give me any advise on light weight, quick drying pants - without needing to go into a men’s pant?
Thank you and cheers ... getting very excited!

I got Columbia pants for over the knee length, and Helly Hanson xl windstoppers running pants. The HH are great and enduring, the Columbia worked for two hikes. The zip offs from Columbia are for my tights not large enough and cut circulation. Men’s pants are not really comfy cut. Men’s hiking shorts from Aldi work great and are durable. Ultra light bike shorts not padded from decathlon work well. Best ever are New Zealand Auckland boat shorts thrift shop find For years my favorite from beach to hike

Attachments

• 45E4FC4D-EB82-4814-BECF-401E77BAFD4B.jpeg
    45E4FC4D-EB82-4814-BECF-401E77BAFD4B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • D4F36104-D9AB-46AB-AB05-334790DAFFD0.jpeg
    D4F36104-D9AB-46AB-AB05-334790DAFFD0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.