• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Sexual Harassment May 13th (2023)

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
Status
Not open for further replies.

Float05

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May/June 2023
Norte May/June 2024
Just left the police station after reporting a man who was staring at me while stroking his exposed privates. This was just after the “welcome to Pamplona” sign, and he ducked through a field and did it again a few minutes later, after which I was very frightened he was following me. I realize he can’t be prosecuted in Spain for this action but I hate that he wanted to make me feel scared and small and he succeeded.

The police were wonderful, though. Couldn’t have been more understanding and kind.

If anyone else experiences this in the same spot, please call the police. They can’t prosecute, but they said if they can identify him, they’d talk to him and hopefully make him stop.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just left the police station after reporting a man who was staring at me while stroking his exposed privates. This was just after the “welcome to Pamplona” sign, and he ducked through a field and did it again a few minutes later, after which I was very frightened he was following me. I realize he can’t be prosecuted in Spain for this action but I hate that he wanted to make me feel scared and small and he succeeded.

The police were wonderful, though. Couldn’t have been more understanding and kind.

If anyone else experiences this in the same spot, please call the police. They can’t prosecute, but they said if they can identify him, they’d talk to him and hopefully make him stop.

So sorry this happened to you and well done for reporting it.

IMO the attitudes in Spain towards sexual harassment are changing.
Last year the so-called solo sí es si law [ only yes means yes law] came into effect.
Harassment with sexual connotations is considered sexual violence.
Since you did not give consent to be targeted, this is an infringement of law.
The police should update their knowledge, but still, even if they don't do that for now, a serious conversation may be very effective and hopefully enough to stop the offender.

Report and roll on!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Well done for taking the time to make the report. You’re helping others.

So sorry this happened to you and well done for reporting it.

IMO the attitudes in Spain towards sexual harassment are changing.
Last year the so-called solo sí es si law [ only yes means yes law] came into effect.
Harassment with sexual connotations is considered sexual violence.
Since you did not give consent to be targeted, this is an infringement of law.
The police should update their knowledge, but still, even if they don't do that for now, a serious conversation may be very effective and hopefully enough to stop the offender.

Report and roll on!
Thanks to that law of "Solo si es si" more than a thousand of sexual ofenders have seen their sencences reduced, some of the have been setting free. Dont ask me what I feel about this, I want not to infringe the Forum´s rules about politic criticisms.
The spanish police is very profesional, be sure they update their knowledge weekly. If they said they could do nothing, be sure they couldn´t. That pervert, estared at her while stroking their parts, but never touch her speak to her. This bast_rd was simply masturbating in the field when a woman, inadvertently by him, walked through there. No harassament Your Honor.
Sadly no wasp stung his testicles.
That said , please always report, Maybe the police can´t do anythin to the ofender, but maybe they can increase their patrolls. You know, sometimes some policeman, inadvertently, attracts furious wasps.

Last edited:
Thanks to that law of "Solo si es si" more than a thousand of sexual ofenders have seen their sencences reduced, some of the have been setting free. Dont ask me what I feel about this, I want not to infringe the Forum´s rules about politic criticisms.
The spanish police is very profesional, be sure they update their knowledge weekly. If they said the could do nothing, be sure they couldnt. That pervert, estared at her while stroking their parts, but never touch her speak to her. This bast_rd was simply masturbating in the field when a woman, inadvertently by him, walked through there. No harassament Your Honor.
Sadly no wasp stung his testicles.
That said , please always report, Maybe the police can´t do anythin to the ofender, but maybe they can increase their patrolls. You know, sometimes some policeman, inadvertently, attracts furious wasps.

That is not what the OP said, nor what I said. Please do not twist someone's words.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are creeps all around the world.
So sorry this happened to you.
Thank you for reporting it.

On the light side,
A guy once exposed himself to my friend and her young daughter.
She just pointed, laughed, and said, 'Look Megan, like a penis only smaller!"
He quickly drove away.

I wish I could think that fast!

On the light side,
A guy once exposed himself to my friend and her young daughter.
She just pointed, laughed, and said, 'Look Megan, like a penis only smaller!"
He quickly drove away.
I'm no expert but I think it is wiser to ignore the pervert as being someone worth no consideration than to make light of his manhood. His humiliation over time may end up making him want to show his supposed power. Some other woman in the future may be his target.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is not what the OP said, nor what I said. Please do not twist someone's words.
No, of course this is not what any of of you said except your comment about that failure of law, the need of updating the police knowledge, how to interprete the laws of Spain, what its considerated sexual violence, etc.
"That pervert, estared at her while stroking their parts, but never touch her, speak to her. This bast_rd was simply masturbating in the field when a woman, inadvertently by him, walked through there. No harassament Your Honor". With those words I´was trying to explain how those things would work, in a hypothetical judgement, and why the police didn´t do nothing. As long as I know Im not twisting anybody´s words,
That said if anybody need some aclarations, my feelings are with the female pilgrim, not with that failure of a man.

No, of course this is not what any of of you said except your comment about that failure of law, the need of updating the police knowledge, how to interprete the laws of Spain, what its considerated sexual violence, etc.
"That pervert, estared at her while stroking their parts, but never touch her, speak to her. This bast_rd was simply masturbating in the field when a woman, inadvertently by him, walked through there. No harassament Your Honor". With those words I´was trying to explain how those things would work, in a hypothetical judgement, and why the police didn´t do nothing. As long as I know Im not twisting anybody´s words,
That said if anybody need some aclarations, my feelings are with the female pilgrim, not with that failure of a man.

You are so right. Thank you for telling me how to think.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm no expert but I think it is wiser to ignore the pervert as being someone worth no consideration than to make light of his manhood. His humiliation over time may end up making him want to show his supposed power. Some other woman in the future may be his target.
I have no idea but I sort of doubt it. Usually the excitement comes from the horror/fear the target shows. - The one time a fellow exposed himself to me during rush hour on the Burnside Bridge in Portland, I almost fell off my bicycle laughing.

I did not judge my friend right or wrong - I just thought it was a brilliant response with a brilliant outcome.
It made me laugh.

Another story I heard was in Amsterdam many years ago. An old man sat outside the Justice of the Peace (or whatever you call the place you marry in Amsterdam) on a bench and would expose himself to people. Their solution was to simply move the bench.

I know there has been a controversy to the Law in recent weeks. Although I try to read the news daily, my Spanish may fail me. I thought there was a weaking of the law in recent weeks. Maybe @Pingüigrino can let us know of the changes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Come on folks, wind it in. The OP has suffered an outrageous experience and has had the decency and fortitude to go and report it.
Other than wishing her a flasher-free remainder of her Camino; need we say more?
I agree. We certainly don’t need personal interpretations of Spanish law and tired jokes about exhibitionists that have already been posted more than half a dozen times on the forum.

The poster shared her experience: What happened, where it happened, that she reported it to the police who were understanding and helpful. She shared her feelings of discomfort and fear … something I can understand I think, something I can relate to. I often read the advice “to put it behind you, to forget about it, it can happen anywhere” but these feelings may linger for a while. I wish a “Buen Camino” to @Float05 and many many positive encounters and beautiful impressions and experiences on her further way to Santiago. And I say thank you for posting this alert and for reporting the incident to the police.

Last edited:

God hope you’re ok! Thanks so much for the heads up, a good few of us females walking into Pamplona today so will be vigilant, enjoy the rest of your camino and hope the sad creep didn’t put you off too much! ❤️

Just left the police station after reporting
Thank you for reporting this. I hope the rest of your Camino is great.

Since the information about the incident has been provided, and the OP knows that her reporting to police is much appreciated, we don't need further discussion of this topic. The thread will be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back