• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shampoo Bar

Amanda manning

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk july 2017
I am looking at getting a shampoo bar for my hair , laundry and body wash
my question is how well do they work?
or what would you suggest instead ?

thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi and welcome! I am firmly in the shampoo bar camp, I like them as a non-spill, lightweight alternative to bottles of shampoo and bodywash. Some people like bars from Lush, and they are well worth looking into - I use them (favourites are Karma, Brazilliant and Juniper) and love the refreshing smell after a long day! Try to find a shop and smell them in real life before you buy if you can, and try to choose one without embedded bits which might get stuck in your clothes. Others buy shampoo bars from Dr Bronner's, Liggett's or handmade ones from Etsy - it depends what suits you and your hair and budget.
Whichever one you choose I suggest you start using it at home for a while before you go, on hair and skin as well as clothes, and that you have a think about how to store it to let it dry out a bit between uses, and where to put them in the shower if there is no shelf. I carry mine in a small Lush plastic tin with a screw on lid and pop it back in and put the lid on in the shower to stop water coming in and turning it to mush.
If it doesn't work for you (like if it irritates or creates more problems than it solves) then leave it and take a small bottle of something that works and refill along the way.

Test them at home first! The circular ones from Lush weigh less but my face and hair did not like them at all. Too drying. The Avocado Co Wash from Lush my hair and face did like. Much more moisturizing. It weighs a bit more. I will use something else for washing clothes. Probably pick up something on the Camino and take a sliver.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have twice brought a combo shampoo/conditioner and used it for hair, body and clothes. Worked great for me, having somewhat long hair and needing conditioner to get a comb through it! I tried the lush bar last year and ended up throwing it out. It turned into a messy blob in my plastic bag and was good for nothing after a few days. I wanted to like it, smelled good and was lightweight to carry. I suppose I should have had it in a mesh bag and hung it to dry every day, but I didn't, and ended up going back to my preferred shampoo/conditioner combo option.

Yeah, I hear you. My hair is pretty much wash and go, but I need to be able to get a comb through it. And only the Lush bar that is a shampoo/cond. combo works for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Co-wash is their word for "conditioning wash". It's very very moisturizing. Best on hair that tangles easily. And you do have to let it air out at the end of your shower before putting it away.

I tested it for 6 days straight on hair, face and body. It worked. My face didn't feel like my skin wanted to crack off of me and I could get a comb through my hair easily. You put it in your hair like conditioner though, where you work it in with fingers like a comb. NOT the way you'd do regular shampoo. That would make tangles.

A question for the veteran peregrinas: Could the Spanish Lagarto soap be used as shampoo in addition to laundry purposes?

If you're worried about tangles, plain old vinegar works great.
A teaspoon in a glass of water and pour it over your head.
Rub in and rinse.
You do NOT smell like a salad.
Your hair will be soft and tangle free.

It's what we used before conditioners were invented.

My grandmother did this. She had the softest gray hair of any of the senior crowd and always said it was because she knew from the farm to use vinegar rinse! <3

I'm a Dr. Bronner's fan. Doesn't melt as fast as Lush bars.
I keep it in a snack size zip lock baggie and leave it open to dry until I'm ready to pack it up and walk. Works great to clean everything.

Rub in and rinse.

There are worse things than smelling like a salad! :)

Though, good old vinegar is making a come back among the "no shampoo" crowd.

Rub in and rinse.

But then you need to carry vinegar with you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

thank you

I now use a Lush Shampoo bar but I understand they are very expensive if you are not in Europe? If so, find an alternative.
On my first camino I took a bar of Olive soap and washed my hair and clothes with it. Clothes were fine, hair on the other hand ...Well after a week I looked like an electrified hedgehog! So I just bought a small bottle of shampoo and that was that. No big deal. It isn't the wilderness, even in the smallest villages you will find most things you need. Fear not.:cool:

I now use a Lush Shampoo bar but I understand they are very expensive if you are not in Europe? If so, find an alternative.
On my first camino I took a bar of Olive soap and washed my hair and clothes with it. Clothes were fine, hair on the other hand ...Well after a week I looked like an electrified hedgehog! So I just bought a small bottle of shampoo and that was that. No big deal. It isn't the wilderness, even in the smallest villages you will find most things you need. Fear not.:cool:

my hair is thick, fine textured and really curly. I may do without shampoo, but not conditioner or I will bear a strong resemblance to the late Shrek, the New Zealand sheep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
my hair is thick, fine textured and really curly. I may do without shampoo, but not conditioner or I will bear a strong resemblance to the late Shrek, the New Zealand sheep.
One of the main reasons I wear a hat. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I couldn't imagine anyone bringing liquid shampoo and conditioner on any trip that goes for longer than a couple of days, let along a walking trip! But now I can see that these things don't work for everyone... I have long straight hair and Lush shampoo bars (both the seaweed one and the shampoo/conditioner combo) have always worked well for me, except the henna one (claimed to be good for coloured hair), which literally crumbled like a cookie after a few uses! AUD 15 down the drain, so to speak.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My niece makes organic, sustainable shower bars which I love called Red Buds Suds. I never travel without them. They do not crumble and there are different types for different needs, with great fresh scents. You should really try them! Tell her Elle sent you! https://www.redbudsuds.com

Electrified hedgehog sounds both hilarious and fantastic lol....

If you are from New Zealand, there is shampoo bar of soap made in Nelson. The company is called Global Soap. I'm trialling one for my upcoming Camino, for hair, face and body, and maybe laundry. I'm getting on ok with it so far with my shortish, fine hair. The Lush products seem to be very highly scented - gives me a headache to walk into the shop!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Test them at home first! The circular ones from Lush weigh less but my face and hair did not like them at all. Too drying. The Avocado Co Wash from Lush my hair and face did like. Much more moisturizing. It weighs a bit more. I will use something else for washing clothes. Probably pick up something on the Camino and take a sliver.

thank you

My wife and I have done a number of Caminos and have used a soap I make at home to use as an all in one soap. I put raw silk in it for conditioning, clay for shaving, and a combination of oils to make it easy on your skin but last a long time. So in your search for a soap, those are good qualities to look for.
I do sell a mesh bag that the soap can stay in during the shower. It acts as a scrubber but also can be hung when there's no shelf and it can hang on the line with your clothes so that the soap dries well making it last longer. I put the listing below. Buen Camino!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/844407...sack-and-carrying-sack?ref=shop_home_active_2

I did bring a Lush shampoo bar which worked perfectly for hair and body wash. It was however not ideal at all for laundry wash. I think that pretty much every single albergue I went to offered washing and drying for clothes at a pretty fair cost (especially if you share). I must admit that I used that option a little more often than I thought I would (ok almost every day :p). I would personally bring a separate liquid soap for laundry if I were to do it all over again.

Trial a few cakes of good soap. I've got one drying out at the moment (makes it lighter). I do carry a small tube of a sunscreen/dry hair treatment.

I did bring a Lush shampoo bar which worked perfectly for hair and body wash. It was however not ideal at all for laundry wash. (...). I would personally bring a separate liquid soap for laundry if I were to do it all over again.

If you don't like the Lush bar for washing clothes, you can buy a tube of detergent for cold water washes in any supermercado. I forget the name but you should have no trouble finding it :)

thank you
I use all the shampoos/conditioners etc etc at home but in the army over 30 years out bush I used a cake of soap for hair and body and never had a problem, I have actually just brought out my morning SS&S kit that used and it all fitted into the size of a cake of soap holder. We really do pamper our selves at home

I have twice brought a combo shampoo/conditioner and used it for hair, body and clothes. Worked great for me, having somewhat long hair and needing conditioner to get a comb through it! I tried the lush bar last year and ended up throwing it out. It turned into a messy blob in my plastic bag and was good for nothing after a few days. I wanted to like it, smelled good and was lightweight to carry. I suppose I should have had it in a mesh bag and hung it to dry every day, but I didn't, and ended up going back to my preferred shampoo/conditioner combo option.
My solution to the Lush Bar mush mess was this: pre-camino, cut the bar up into finger-tip size pieces. Keep then in a very light weight container (Muji has some good ones). Then just take one piece with you into the shower for hair/body. Works like a charm.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love the Lush bars too. They are just the best in terms of how well they rinse out of socks! The only way to stop them turning to mush I found was to leave it drying in its open tin over night.

I was able to find small bottles of shampoo easily on the camino last year, but conditioner only in larger bottles and expensive. I make my own bar soap (with olive oil, avocado oil, shea butter and argan oil), which is hard, long lasting and has a nice, light lemongrass scent. It's good for body and laundry. But I don't like bar soaps for my hair, so I'll buy small bottles of shampoo along the way. I'm now experimenting with making a hair conditioner bar from a recipe I found. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Last edited:
Shampoo bars did not work for me and I tested many of them. My only objective as a first time walker when walking the CF in 2015 was to have just enough stuff to get me over the pyrenees and for a couple of days beyond. Worked a treat. For my second camino (starting soon) I have modified that aim to having just enough stuff in Easily Refillable Containers to get me over the pyrenees and for a few days beyond.
I have:
A tiny cake of well dried out soap in a mesh bag for me and laundry.
A miniscule container of toothpowder in a 1 gm plastic flip-top container into which I can fit my cut off toothbrush and which can be easily refilled with toothpaste.
A piece of stick deodorant in a tiny plastic container. The deodorant was firstly dried out and then cut and shaped to fit the container with a knife heated in a cup of hot water.
Dehydrated shampoo in a tiny wide mouthed container used for storing soy sauce in a Japanese bento.
The great thing about the CF is there are many oportunities to restock.
Just one of my happy memories is exploring tiendas and super mercados to buy stuff that I used to refill my containers and even better, being able to share any excess with my fellow pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My niece makes organic, sustainable shower bars which I love called Red Buds Suds. I never travel without them. They do not crumble and there are different types for different needs, with great fresh scents. You should really try them! Tell her Elle sent you! https://www.redbudsuds.com

Elle, I ordered the sampler from your niece's company, and as suggested, mentioned your name. My order arrived a day or so ago, and she sent me the nicest note AND a couple of other samples! What a sweetheart! I think you definitely won the niece lottery :) I'm looking forward to trying all the samples - hoping that at least one will work for me.

One problem I had with handmade soap before was that it tended to get soggy and not last long. So I think I solved that problem by adding an ingredient derived from the natural fermentation of corn and beets that makes a harder, longer-lasting bar of soap. No palm oil and no animal fat. Am finally satisfied that it works great for body and clothes, so am going to offer them for sale and include a mesh bag with each bar (to hang dry on the line by your clothes). I posted a link in the Resources section here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/soap-with-net-soap-sack.551/

Last edited:
Elle, I ordered the sampler from your niece's company, and as suggested, mentioned your name. My order arrived a day or so ago, and she sent me the nicest note AND a couple of other samples! What a sweetheart! I think you definitely won the niece lottery :) I'm looking forward to trying all the samples - hoping that at least one will work for me.

Susan she IS INDEED a gem! Love her to death and love her work. I hope you love her products too. She is committed to creating a superior product.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan on bringing a bar of good old fashioned Ivory soap. What I am going to do though is place some plastic mesh in the soap carrying box to keep it from sticking. I am also going to do this: About a month before I leave, unwrap said bar of soap and leave it in the open air to "cure". This hardens the soap and makes it less prone to "melting away".

18 Uses for Dr. Bronner’s Soaps!

Has anyone used Dr. Bronner's for shampoo, body soap AND laundry?
I've been using it for body and like it very much (I have dry skin as a result of living in the Arctic). It works well for my naturally straight and fine hair but i find that I need to add a little conditioner to the ends. Works well for hand washing clothes. I've been washing a few articles every day and it really soaps up well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have been using a Dr. Bronner's lavender bar in the shower at home for several weeks now with good results. Judging from its wear pattern I would estimate one bar would last for the entire El Camino, although I haven't tried it on clothing, so I'm not sure if this would include using it as a laundry soap. For me it works as well as my designated shampoo on my hair. It is a totally vegetarian bar whose main ingredient is olive oil I believe. It lathers and rinses off well. It costs $5 American at REI stores. I would save the wrapper to amuse fellow Peligrinos in the Alberges as the entire wrapper is covered with amusing writing from Dr. Bronner. The liquid Dr. Bronner's doesn't work for me as it dries out my skin, but the bar Dr. Bronner's doesn't at all and I am very happy with it.

I plan on bringing a bar of good old fashioned Ivory soap. What I am going to do though is place some plastic mesh in the soap carrying box to keep it from sticking. I am also going to do this: About a month before I leave, unwrap said bar of soap and leave it in the open air to "cure". This hardens the soap and makes it less prone to "melting away".

You might just carry it in a plastic mesh sack.. you can use it as a washcloth in the shower and then you can hang it to dry with your laundry every day on the Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Any of you heading for the Camino this spring; I would love to send you a bar of my soap (no charge) to take with you for body and clothes. Only payment I ask is a review re. how it worked for you. PM me your address and I'll send it out.

I have superdry skin and hair, and I am really sensetive to chemicals. I have some allergies and a bad atopic eczema on several spots. There is 2 different soaps and 1 schampoo that I tolerate (on a good day). After I soaped up and rinsed of I use oliveoil on the hole body, and then rinse again. This is not enough, my skin is still dry, I do eat healthy and all bloodtests comes back with perfect results. For the most I can´t wash both my body and hair at the same time, my hands can not handle it, so I usually wash my long hair standing upside down over my bathtub with dishwashinggloves on, to be able to tolerate the shampoo..
I would love to find a mild natural all-in-one soapbar, for body/hair/clothes without chemicals. When I´m out with my rucksack (Ryggan) I usually take one soapbar (85gr), some schampoo, and 1/3 bar of detergent, dishwashinggloves and my Scrubba. Thinking of skipping the schampoo when going to Spain, maybe I can go to the hairdresser in the larger cities and wash my hair...

Last edited:
Huge fan of the lush bar for hair and body. One bar lasted 36 days. For my clothes i used a marseille bar. That thing lasts forever!

Thanks for mentioning my shower bars, Elle! We designed them for traveling, but honestly we love them so much that it's all we use for "regular" life too. :) It's like a nice way to keep the spirit of the journey with you wherever you are.

I finally got around to adding them to the Camino gear website, you can check them out here.

The Sea Clay Rest Day is my personal favorite because the scent is relaxing for the end of a long day, the sea clay gives nice "slip" for use as a shaving bar (if you're into that ;) ), and it's versatile for dry or oily hair. I haven't tried doing laundry with them yet but I'm sure they'd work in a pinch. (Typically soap that works for hair needs extra conditioners that make it not as great for getting clothes really clean, it all depends on what you're going for).

DSC_1573.jpg

All our shower bars are specifically made for hair (conditioning shampoo) but of course you can use them as body soap too.
Contact me with any questions about shampoo bars - I've got lots of tips! Cheers.

I have superdry skin and hair, and I am really sensetive to chemicals. I have some allergies and a bad atopic eczema on several spots. There is 2 different soaps and 1 schampoo that I tolerate (on a good day). After I soaped up and rinsed of I use oliveoil on the hole body, and then rinse again. This is not enough, my skin is still dry, I do eat healthy and all bloodtests comes back with perfect results. For the most I can´t wash both my body and hair at the same time, my hands can not handle it, so I usually wash my long hair standing upside down over my bathtub with dishwashinggloves on, to be able to tolerate the shampoo..
I would love to find a mild natural all-in-one soapbar, for body/hair/clothes without chemicals. When I´m out with my rucksack (Ryggan) I usually take one soapbar (85gr), some schampoo, and 1/3 bar of detergent, dishwashinggloves and my Scrubba. Thinking of skipping the schampoo when going to Spain, maybe I can go to the hairdresser in the larger cities and wash my hair...

Everyone who has eczema has different causes and so treatments will be different. One thing that seems to be universal is that people with eczema should try going as close to natural as they can. Eczema and sensitive skin our rife in our family so we have done a lot of research and have a fair bit of personal experience. I also make my own bar and liquid soap.

For skin what works for a lot of people with eczema is pure olive oil soap with no additives or fragrance. The problem with this is that a lot of homemade soap makers use pomace oil which they can technically call “olive oil”. It is extracted by using chemicals from olive mash after the extra olive oil and other grades of olive oil have been extracted. It is really easy to make soap at home maybe you should try it. Ideally it takes 9 – 12 months of curing to make a really hard long lasting bar.

The pH of soap (handmade or commercial) is not compatible with human hair (or dog’s hair and skin for that matter). It causes the cuticles to open and produces coarse, rough hair. Most people don’t notice the damage to their hair until it is too late (about 6 -12 months). Then you will have to cut your hair off to resolve the issue. People who have really short hair are able to use shampoo bars because they cut their hair off before they notice the damage. Talk to your hairdresser.

A solution for shampoo for some people who have eczema or sensitive skin is to use low chemical shampoo. Avoid sulphates, parabens, silicone, alcohol and oils extracted with solvents. Your scalp and skin should not itch after you use soap or shampoo if you have found a good low chemical one. I don’t know what brands are sold in Sweden but I am sure you have some - google alchemy or sukin and aim for something like that. I hope this helps.

I make my own natural soap that doesn't contain animal fat or palm oil (palm oil is mostly bad for the environment). But I have NOT been able to hand make a good bar shampoo. The problem, I read, with the natural oils used for making bar soap is that they have the wrong pH for hair. So you have to do this whole transition phase, apple cider vinegar rinse, etc. which isn't practical for the Camino. I just ordered and have been using a bar shampoo that I like a LOT better than the Lush bar (which I found to be soft and crumbly). It is not "all natural" but it works great for hair. I highly recommend it: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered
It sounds like Aubrey (above) has a good one, too.

€83,-
I love love LOVE JillGat's shampoo bar. I've been using it every day since she mailed it and I just ordered another bar recently.
It's perfect for the Camino!

I love love LOVE JillGat's shampoo bar

Annie, have you been using this bar for shampooing? Jill states above that she does not make shampoo bars but body/clothes soap bars. I too received a sample bar and it smells wonderful, but I've actually been waiting till I go to Spain in 2 weeks to try it. I guess I really should try it here at home first, though I have no doubt it will be just the ticket.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I make my own natural soap that doesn't contain animal fat or palm oil (palm oil is mostly bad for the environment). But I have NOT been able to hand make a good bar shampoo. The problem, I read, with the natural oils used for making bar soap is that they have the wrong pH for hair. So you have to do this whole transition phase, apple cider vinegar rinse, etc. which isn't practical for the Camino. I just ordered and have been using a bar shampoo that I like a LOT better than the Lush bar (which I found to be soft and crumbly). It is not "all natural" but it works great for hair. I highly recommend it: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered
It sounds like Aubrey (above) has a good one, too.

It's not the oils it's the sodium hydroxide necessary to make bar soap that makes the pH of bar soap too high for hair. Even with an acid rinse - it will work for a while then the hair gets damaged beyond repair.
Even liquid soap pH is too high. Shampoo is unfortunately the only way to keep your hair healthy.

The etsy bar you link to has SLS, dimethacone etc! Far from natural. But still, the pH will be too high for hair. Might as well use a natural, plant derived close to natural shampoo.

If you have really short hair it's ok as you can cut off the damaged hair regularly.

Shampoo can also be used as a clothes wash so it has two uses!

Last edited:
Annie, have you been using this bar for shampooing? Jill states above that she does not make shampoo bars but body/clothes soap bars. I too received a sample bar and it smells wonderful, but I've actually been waiting till I go to Spain in 2 weeks to try it. I guess I really should try it here at home first, though I have no doubt it will be just the ticket.

Yup. I've been washing my body and my hair with it, and am very happy!

The etsy bar you link to has SLS, dimethacone etc! Far from natural. But still, the pH will be too high for hair. Might as well use a natural, plant derived close to natural shampoo.

Paddington Bear: Actually, the bar I linked to, GetLathered, does NOT contain SLS; Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA) are very different things. She doesn't use SLS on purpose. The Lush bar does use SLS.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate, or Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLES) is often avoided because it may be carcinogenic. Most store bought shampoos and many cosmetics contain it. It is an inexpensive detergent, surfactant and foaming agent. It is a mix of sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester, and sodium salt. You're right, it is not natural. (not to say that "natural" always equals healthy and "chemical" always means dangerous, but I try to avoid SLS, too).

SLSA, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is made from coconut and palm oils; a safe surfactant (foaming agent) for both skin and hair. This mild plant derived surfactant creates lather that removes removes suface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate also dissolves more readily in water. thus providing superior rinseablility. You shouldn't need a vinegar rinse after using it.

Another ingredient you may find is Sodium Lauryl Lactylate, which is derived from palm kernel and sugar, a safe, skin friendly cleanser for both skin and hair.

As for pH, true soaps are made with sodium hydroxide, lye. The lye is gone after saponifying the oils, but the pH of soap is too high for many people's hair, as you said. Using a vinegar rinse afterwards can counteract that to some degree, but who wants to carry vinegar with them. This is why I recommend a "syndet" shampoo bar, as made by GetLathered.

I can provide links to sites that explain this more fully if you'd like.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I solved my problem by still taking less than half of a Dr. Broner's bar for washing/laundry and then I'm talking these sachets of conditioning shampoo. The weight is about the same as having to take a separate small conditioner bottle and makes the whole shampooing process faster. No bottles to contend with either.
I just added it to my packing list on my blog http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/packing-camino-de-santiago/ :) I forget what they are called but it's listed there.

Last edited:
Haven't used soap on my hair (and yes I still do have some) for over five years. Just think about all the weight saving I make when walking!

So, after some trial and error, I've created a shampoo bar that I really like. It contains cocoa butter and silk protein, but is not a soap made with lye. As others have said before, many people don't do well shampooing with soap, even if it's made from all natural oils. The pH tends to be too high (which you can remedy to some degree with a vinegar rinse). So, calling on my clinical lab geek background, I created a bar that works beautifully. It is not "all natural," but it's small, lightweight and lasts at least a month. It's not as pretty as GetLathered, but I love it. I'm also making conditioner bars. I'll post a link on the resources page.

Last edited:
If you are from New Zealand, there is shampoo bar of soap made in Nelson. The company is called Global Soap. I'm trialling one for my upcoming Camino, for hair, face and body, and maybe laundry. I'm getting on ok with it so far with my shortish, fine hair. The Lush products seem to be very highly scented - gives me a headache to walk into the shop!
Another NZ brand which I like is totally balmy, based in feilding. They make bar shampoo , body soaps, sweet sensation balm ( good for dry heels, lip chap, hair moisturiser, shaving balm, etc..). Good products, I use them all the time at home and traveling.

And on the issue with shampoo bars and vinegar. You only need 1 Tb of vinegar to 1 cup of water, so its not a lot to carry, especially if you don't wash your every day.
To achieve my non- frizzy hair, I'll be prepared to carry a bit of liquid.

And I've heard of other acidic rinses including citric acid, which comes in powder form. Any thoughts?

And on the issue with shampoo bars and vinegar. You only need 1 Tb of vinegar to 1 cup of water, so its not a lot to carry, especially if you don't wash your every day.

And I've heard of other acidic rinses including citric acid, which comes in powder form. Any thoughts?

If you use a shampoo bar with the correct pH for hair, you don't need an acidic rinse. It works great.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm a Dr. Bronner's fan. Doesn't melt as fast as Lush bars.
I keep it in a snack size zip lock baggie and leave it open to dry until I'm ready to pack it up and walk. Works great to clean everything.

Ditto, exactly.

Has anyone used Dr. Bronner's for shampoo, body soap AND laundry?

Yep! I used a bar of Dr Bronner's soap for hair, body, and laundry. At home this would never work; it's very dry where I live and my hair would murder me (I have very thick, very coarse hair). But it was much more humid on the Camino and I had no problems. (I think if my hair chose, I would live in Spain!) It also worked great on my clothing. I used the almond scented bar, thinking it would be mild - and it was, but I think next time I might get a brighter scent like citrus.

For me, I probably could of cut the bar in half and still had some left over, but then I don't lather too much when I shower. I had a budget so I often did my own laundry, or at least my socks and underwear if I thought my other clothes were fine. I kept the bar in a snack-size ziplock baggie, like the first quote. I can't imagine carrying a heavy tin or liquid soap of any kind; the weight-to-use ratio is just not as good as bar soap. But hey, everyone walks their own Camino; there's nothing wrong with taking something you REALLY want if you're willing to bear the weight and take the responsibility for that decision. :)

Dr. Bronner's soap would be way too harsh for my hair. The pH of any bar soap (made via saponification) is too high for hair. I didn't like carrying liquid shampoo and I couldn't find small bottles of conditioner along the camino for my long hair (without it, I couldn't pull a comb through it). I finally solved that problem by figuring out how to make bar shampoo and bar conditioner. They are about the size of golf balls and last more than a month. I'm proud to say my shampoo bar is sudsy, has better ingredients, is harder and doesn't melt like the Lush bar.

Easier to carry an actual bar shampoo than to use soap, which damages hair no matter what, and vinegar. There are better shampoo bars on the market than Lush. I make my own, but can recommend this one: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered

€83,-
Easier to carry an actual bar shampoo than to use soap, which damages hair no matter what, and vinegar. There are better shampoo bars on the market than Lush. I make my own, but can recommend this one: https://www.etsy.com/shop/GetLathered
I also use the shampoo bars from Get Lathered and other Etsy shops. Not just on the Camino, but all the time at home too. I much prefer them over traditional shampoos.

I used a Lush Shampoo Bar - Honey I Washed My Hair and it worked out great. It does require a little maintenance after use to ensure that it dries or it will turn to mush. I used the Lush Square Tin and 2 hair bungees. I would dry (blot or dab) the shampoo bar with a little toilet paper or paper towel after use. Then, I would suspend the shampoo bar vertically between the hair bungees on my bunk, shelf, etc. It was usually completely dry by dinner, and then I packed it away in the tin with the bungees.

The square tin is much easier to use than the round tin. It makes it easier to get the shampoo bar in and out of the tin, and accommodates the bungees.

Lush Shampoo Bar.JPG

I used a Lush Shampoo Bar - Honey I Washed My Hair and it worked out great. It does require a little maintenance after use to ensure that it dries or it will turn to mush. I used the Lush Square Tin and 2 hair bungees. I would dry (blot or dab) the shampoo bar with a little toilet paper or paper towel after use. Then, I would suspend the shampoo bar vertically between the hair bungees on my bunk, shelf, etc. It was usually completely dry by dinner, and then I packed it away in the tin with the bungees.

The square tin is much easier to use than the round tin. It makes it easier to get the shampoo bar in and out of the tin, and accommodates the bungees.

View attachment 50489

That is genius.

Shampoo bars did not work for me and I tested many of them. My only objective as a first time walker when walking the CF in 2015 was to have just enough stuff to get me over the pyrenees and for a couple of days beyond. Worked a treat. For my second camino (starting soon) I have modified that aim to having just enough stuff in Easily Refillable Containers to get me over the pyrenees and for a few days beyond.
I have:
A tiny cake of well dried out soap in a mesh bag for me and laundry.
A miniscule container of toothpowder in a 1 gm plastic flip-top container into which I can fit my cut off toothbrush and which can be easily refilled with toothpaste.
A piece of stick deodorant in a tiny plastic container. The deodorant was firstly dried out and then cut and shaped to fit the container with a knife heated in a cup of hot water.
Dehydrated shampoo in a tiny wide mouthed container used for storing soy sauce in a Japanese bento.
The great thing about the CF is there are many oportunities to restock.
Just one of my happy memories is exploring tiendas and super mercados to buy stuff that I used to refill my containers and even better, being able to share any excess with my fellow pilgrims.

Where can you find bulk shampoo or conditioner to refill your bottles? How I wish so many things were available in bulk to cut down on plastic use.

Were the shampoo bars you tested soap or specifically shampoo bars? They are made in a completely different way. As another poster said, I use solid shampoo and conditioner bars at home too, because they are much better for my hair than anything else I can buy.

Hey, this is just my 2¢ worth. I always have taken a shampoo/conditioner bar with me when doing a camino. Ligget's was actually pretty decent, also tried the Lush bar and wasn't sold on it so I'm trying something new this year. I just purchased the Raw African Black Soap with Coconut Oil and Shea Butter bar (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011VIDLUK/?tag=casaivar02-20) for my Camino Portugues coming up in March, and this bar comes highly regarded and recommended by a dear friend, so I'll give it a shot and report later:)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.