• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shampoo/conditioner

Hi Mike, I quite like the one you have (Montalbano), it's quite deep cleansing so is good for the oilyness. Another good option would be the purple one, Jumping Juniper. Good for balancing oily scalps and won't weigh it down much.

Lush has about 6 conditioners, 2 of them are solid. Of those two, I'd recommend Jungle over the Big conditioner, I find it easier to use. Or you could just get a small bottle of any conditioner, since I'm assuming your hair is short, it should last you the whole Camino.

Cheers
Lindsey! I subscribe to your videos on YouTube! Didn't recognise you in that teensy pic up there on the left. Well, what a tiny little planet this is. Thanks for the advice - I shall give Jungle a try. My hair is getting longer - it was either a buzzcut or a barista bun for the Camino and since I'm a coffee psychopath the choice was clear. See you out there, and Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@lindseh ... am I going a little bit crazy or was there a post about the different Lush shampoos... I had a quick look and thought it was great and that I'd make some notes later... now I cant find it? :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@lindseh ... am I going a little bit crazy or was there a post about the different Lush shampoos... I had a quick look and thought it was great and that I'd make some notes later... now I cant find it? :rolleyes:
Hi LesBrass, Sorry to be answering for Lindsey. Lindsey's posts are gone, maybe because she works for Lush and her comments were considered commercial. Check the rules link at the bottom right corner of this page. You can see her original comments in the quote bars above some other questions. Then try to reach her personally via "conversations" below the "inbox" tab. - Mike

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the best deals I have discovered is using a bar of olive soap. You can use both for body and hair. Good for the skin and hair especially in the hot Spanish sun

Once in Europe buy a bar of laundry soap (there is a white bar which will remove almost every stain). Buy another and take it home.

For laundry I am trying something new this year: a Sunlight bar which has been taken out of its package so it dries up and loses excess humidity, and weight, before I leave.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just as I as going to search for this thread it appears!

This weekend I bough a shampoo & conditionner bar by The Soap Works at Bulk & Barn. 1.99$, surely I could take a chance on it. Tried it ... It gets suds if suds you like, but also this bery strange heavy film you feel in your hair and hands. This morning I needed to use a lot of regular conditionner to get my hair to move freely again, and that's when wet in the shower. Guess I will have a to find something else to jse this nar with, because it won't be my hair.

So many diversions, supposed to be looking for lumbar/hip pack's! Great thread though, and will be trying the Lush poo bar and toothpaste tablets.
On my CF, I solved the problem of hair products and had all hair removed by hairdresser! My foot care kit weighed more than hair products - a good decision for me. I especially loved the laundry bar soap in Spain, but could never find it in the shops. I will try to find the Aleppo soap mentioned, before I go on next camino.
Janice

Hi everyone! So i originally started this post and quietly read everyones replies and tips. Thinking id just take a small bottle of shampoo/cond and refill along the way.

Today on a whim i purchased a Lush bar shampoo and conditioner.

Ummm...its awesome! Very surprised! I have a lot of hair to get through and it easily washed my hair. Total convert. Its definitely coming with my on my Camino.

Ive even been on their site looking for what else i can get from them Hahahahha!

Thanks for the tips everybody!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone! So i originally started this post and quietly read everyones replies and tips. Thinking id just take a small bottle of shampoo/cond and refill along the way.

Today on a whim i purchased a Lush bar shampoo and conditioner.

Ummm...its awesome! Very surprised! I have a lot of hair to get through and it easily washed my hair. Total convert. Its definitely coming with my on my Camino.

Ive even been on their site looking for what else i can get from them Hahahahha!

Thanks for the tips everybody!
I also just purchased Lush shampoo bar - will use today. Also got the Lush Toothy Tabs, which I am happy with, and will replace toothpaste. These, by the way are considered solids and do not have to presented to airline security.
I will use shampoo bar for body AND hair, although sales clerk do not advocate this, but I think others use this way?
Also consider laundry soap - I found Zote locally, and will cut off a square and bring with me. Laundry soap is "Old World" and was found in most albergues on my CF.

Burn Camino,
Janice

Ok this seems simple enough to solve but its like i can't!
What do people do about shampoo and conditioner? I dont want to cart around two big bottles/extra weight. But i need it! (I dont do shampoo and cond in one)
Do i get smaller bottles and re-fill? Do i just buy extra along the way and refill and leave the rest behind? Maybe i just solved my own dilemma right there?
Yes, some of us need conditioner. End of story.

Last year, I went to my hairdresser and simply asked for a sample shampoo & conditioner. They come in squeeze tube/sachets, and for my hair (medium length, medium amount of it, somewhat curly), there was enough for two washes from one sachet of each.

This year, I will try the same trick if I have time (I leave in four days), and if not, I'm going to decant my usual product into a snack size ziplock bag. At least this is resealable, and weighs virtually nothing. I also carry the world's smallest bottle (seriously - it's about one inch/2cm tall - I got it from a hotel years ago) with a tiny bit of Moroccan Oil in it. I carry a plastic comb instead of my usual brush, to save weight, and I wash once every 5-7 days (it's all going under a cap anyway..). I found this worked well for me!

I took the Lush shampoo and conditioner bars and loved the shampoo but hated the conditioner, so ended up buying mini bottles of conditioner at the supermarket.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, some of us need conditioner. End of story.

Last year, I went to my hairdresser and simply asked for a sample shampoo & conditioner. They come in squeeze tube/sachets, and for my hair (medium length, medium amount of it, somewhat curly), there was enough for two washes from one sachet of each.

This year, I will try the same trick if I have time (I leave in four days), and if not, I'm going to decant my usual product into a snack size ziplock bag. At least this is resealable, and weighs virtually nothing. I also carry the world's smallest bottle (seriously - it's about one inch/2cm tall - I got it from a hotel years ago) with a tiny bit of Moroccan Oil in it. I carry a plastic comb instead of my usual brush, to save weight, and I wash once every 5-7 days (it's all going under a cap anyway..). I found this worked well for me!
Great idea - I use some drops of hair oil too instead of conditioner. If you go easy on the shampoo and don't totally strip your hair till it's squeaky, I find this works just as well and takes a tiny amount of space instead :)

Lush products can be quite fragrant. There are MANY ethical vendors selling shampoo/conditioner bars right now -- on Etsy, on Amazon, etc. You may even find some with Walmart or Target if your timing is right. I've purchased with Ethique and the smell is nearly non-existent and they are curly-friendly. The bars are larger than you'd want to take on the camino, but are easily enough cut down to size with a butcher knife.

My recommendation for a new product: use it several times before your camino so you know how easy it is for you to use and if it works with your hair. Consider storage, as they will need to dry out before packing. Ask yourself if it's easier to use what you know. Consider rinsing your hair several days a week instead of washing. Many of us pull our hair up whilst walking or hide it under a hat so the 'good hair day' issue only arises directly after a wash, anyway. Sorry if this is a repeat -- this is a long thread that I've not read in full.

I’m a semi- curly girl with thick hair that goes crazy without some help.

Brought Ethique shampoo / conditioner (and face soap) in small mesh “soap saver” bags that can hang anywhere - usually the shower mixer. Let them dry overnight then packed into small plastic bags in the AM.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just wanted to chime in on this.

I was surprised to see bar conditioner (many kinds!) at my food co-op. If you have one nearby it might be worth a visit.

I have tried a couple shampoo bars and am not really a fan. Let me just preface by saying I am a greaseball and I've been struggling to find products to help me not be greasy.

The Lush coconut bar is very coconutty - I love the scent but I know that it may be too much for others - and doesn't clean very well.

Boodah butter's Suds of Love has a very mild, if any, scent and might be good for someone who doesn't want to carry both a shampoo & conditioner bar. My hair feels fabulous after I use it - but I still feel greasy and would have to wash my hair everyday (which I refuse to do).

Like Suzanne H says, be sure to try whatever you get at home before your camino.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back