• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shampoo

Jen Juneau

Time of past OR future Camino
Future...leaving Colorado 08/10/2014
Are there places to easily buy shampoos and conditioners. We are thinking of buying chamois. Good idea?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are there places to easily buy shampoos and conditioners. We are thinking of buying chamois. Good idea?

Hello Jen, yes, you can buy shampoos and conditioners in tiny bottles from the small shops along the camino. Its not a good idea to carry large bottles as the weight will take its toll in the first half hour! Have a great journey! Buen camino!

One of the great lessons learned here on this forum is there is a bar of soap that can wash your body, hair, clothes and someone said! teeth. I have used it for 3. I keep it in a little plastic bag, also have a little mesh bag that can hang outside of the rucksac. Try and let go of the need for " cosmetics, chemicals". I met 2 russian girls, really hardy, beautiful, they came into the shower rooms, (there were no dividers, curtains) with 2 bags each, 1 full of bottles, other full of make up, they were going back out to the bars, I was going to bed, but I'll always remember them, they carried those bags full of that gear.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the camino Frances last year and took a combined shampoo and conditioner. My hair reacted badly. This year I shall take separate shampoo, conditioner and some sort of serum or oil, all decanted into small containers. I shall replenish as necessary from one of the many shops along the way, refill my small containers and leave what is left over to anyone who wants to make use of it. I found that some items cannot be skimped, and a good conditioner is one of them.

@jmcorrigan likes this soap for skin and hair. I thought it sounded great, and have ordered it from amazon and will use it this spring. Lush was far too drying...

Attachments

• savondalepp.PNG
    savondalepp.PNG
    275.4 KB · Views: 70
Hola

Outdoor shops often carry small empty plastic bottles which are somewhat inexpensive.
Buy those and fill them with what you use at home.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bring along two 2 ounce bottles, one each for shampoo and conditioner, then when I run low, I buy a bottle from a shop - supermarket, tienda, you can get it everywhere - and refill. Then I leave the rest at the albergue for the next person who needs a top-off.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I decanted shampoo into a small disposable plastic bottle and added some conditioner to it too. It worked well and lasted the whole Camino even when I washed my hair every day.

I've discovered the store Lush. They sell the most wonderful, environmentally and travel friendly soaps, shampoos what have you. I bought some solid soap by weight then put it in this little aluminum travel cannister that they also sell. Easy to carry, light weight, no waste. I still have some that I still use in my travels. The larger cities in the UK and Europe seem to have them. Only seen one so far in the US.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Lush is also well-known in Canada, and I believe you can order online too.

Lush is also well-known in Canada, and I believe you can order online too.
And in Madrid, Barcelona, Santander and many more places.
I also take lush shampoo on my camino's. I can wash anything with it and it is very concentrated. So not a lot of weight to take.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Wish I had discovered this before my Camino. Would have solved the problem of forgetting shampoo and where to put my soap.
Has anyone used this before?
http://www.campingshowerworld.com/showerline-shower-caddy.html
Looks useful for a weekend camping trip but not a Camino - you'd have to carry refills in your pack for all those little bottles of different stuff! Better just to use one soap for all purposes and just buy a new one along the way when it runs out!

Ain't nothing as good as Lustre Cream Shampoo in a tube. Great for hair, body, clothes, and very concentrated. Sadly they have stopped making it - I think it was only bought by old ladies who remembered its glamour days, and canny pilgrims like me. This is my last, sad, tube. And a great ad from the 50s
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393828583.903123.jpg
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1393828640.493483.jpg

Spain is a first world country and you can buy shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, batteries, washcloths, CD's, smartphones, boots, poles, sleeping bags, beds, cars, etc., not to mention many things you can't imagine, over the counter!
I used travel size plastic bottles for shampoo and conditioner. When I ran out, I went to the store, bought the cheapest I could find, which was, of course, a giant size bottle. I refilled my travel size bottles, and left the rest in the albergue to be shared by others. I wasn't going to carry that big thing!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
Luster Cream Shampoo!
Wow.. a blast from the past!

NOTE: Sorry.. just found out it has been discontinued. Rats! I'm searching the internet.

I did find a tube in a box on eBay under "vintage collectables" for some ridiculous price!

One of the great lessons learned here on this forum is there is a bar of soap that can wash your body, hair, clothes and someone said! teeth. I have used it for 3. I keep it in a little plastic bag, also have a little mesh bag that can hang outside of the rucksac. Try and let go of the need for " cosmetics, chemicals". I met 2 russian girls, really hardy, beautiful, they came into the shower rooms, (there were no dividers, curtains) with 2 bags each, 1 full of bottles, other full of make up, they were going back out to the bars, I was going to bed, but I'll always remember them, they carried those bags full of that gear.

Is there a name for that soap?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there a name for that soap?
I bought some "Aleppo" it is a Lebanese, bay tree soap, but any soap without perfumes, additives, pure soap will do. My Spanish friend just bought a "bar" on a shelf in a "tienda" as long as it does not have chemicals in it. Another friend carried a small plastic bottle and re-filled it in "bathrooms" when she needed to. I suppose what I mean is you can forget your shampoos, shower gels, "products" and travel lighter. For a treat you can buy yourself a sachet of something smelly every now and again, all the shops carry mini products. I'm getting my bag ready for 8th Apr, weighing my clothes!

My two cents, try out your decided product enough times before you go. It turned out LUSH was much too drying for my hair and skin.
Also, Annie, I love that Vermont Country Store!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just wondering.....along the camino.....is there a 'beauty salon'......where one could treat themselves to a head massage/shampoo and condition? It is pointed out that Spain is a first world country....I am thinking something like a Supercuts/Fantastic Sams might be available? Probably in the larger towns? Or is this a service not readily marketed to the typical pilgrim? I am leaving from SJPP in September, and I thought I might seek out this luxury at a point or two or even three, along my forty day trek.

I bought children's rosemary shampoo because it works as a replant to lice. I poured it in two small bottles to distribute the weight between my husband and I. We used it as shower gel and shampoo. When we found an occasional hotel I used their products. I did see an occasional salon but didn't get to stop :) Lived in braids to keep my hair in good condition.

Just wondering.....along the camino.....is there a 'beauty salon'......where one could treat themselves to a head massage/shampoo and condition? It is pointed out that Spain is a first world country....I am thinking something like a Supercuts/Fantastic Sams might be available? Probably in the larger towns? Or is this a service not readily marketed to the typical pilgrim? I am leaving from SJPP in September, and I thought I might seek out this luxury at a point or two or even three, along my forty day trek.
Of course there are salons, but you are not likely to find one that's part of an American chain. The basic services will be the same, though. Learn the Spanish for the service you need. I doubt they will turn you away just because you're a pilgrim - they will probably be delighted at the chance of giving one of us a good wash and tidy-up! I have noticed during my Caminos that, on entering a town, I can smell non-pilgrims from some way away - their perfume and soap and general cleanliness; it always makes me ashamed of the odour I'm offering in return!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think there is a thread called "hair" on the forum.
Anyway, I posted there that a Camino friend went to a salon for a great haircut in Burgos. I don't know the name of the salon, but it is located on
Calle de la Puebla, across the street from "Pension Pena" where I stayed. You can easily get a map of the city that lists all the Pensions, Hotels, Hostals etc.

And the men can drop into a barbers near Santiago and get the long beard cut off and cleaned up for the Saint.

On my last trip someone had suggested putting all of my liquids (dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, shampoo, conditioner) into Mio containers. Mio are those little flavor squirt things you put in water. They're under 100ml and work perfectly. I used them for laundry, insect repellent and shampoo/conditioner. Will definitely be doing it again this May for my camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wondering.....along the camino.....is there a 'beauty salon'......where one could treat themselves to a head massage/shampoo and condition? It is pointed out that Spain is a first world country. . . Probably in the larger towns? Or is this a service not readily marketed to the typical pilgrim? I am leaving from SJPP in September, and I thought I might seek out this luxury at a point or two or even three, along my forty day trek.

Generally speaking, larger cities such as Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Sahagun, Leon, and Astorga have thriving commercial districts with every kind of business imaginable. I did not particularly look for hair salons, but I can't imagine they are not there. Regarding treating oneself to a little luxury every not and then, there are Perador hotels in Santo Domingo, Leon, Villafranca and Santiago. Purists cringe at the thought, but I really enjoyed checking into a five star hotel every six or seven nights. Standing in a shower with seven shower heads never felt so good. And don't worry, the pilgrims who turn their nose up at you public will quietly ask to come up for a soak as soon as you are done.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, larger cities such as Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Sahagun, Leon, and Astorga have thriving commercial districts with every kind of business imaginable. I did not particular look for hair salons, but I can't imagine they are not there. Regarding treating oneself to a little luxury every not and then, there are Perador hotels in Santo Domingo, Leon, Villafranca and Santiago. Purists cringe at the thought, but I really enjoyed checking into a five star hotel every six or seven nights. Standing in a shower with seven shower heads never felt so good. And don't worry, the pilgrims who turn their nose up at you public will quietly ask to come up for a soak as soon as you are done.
Well, that is good to know. Just in case. And I see that you are from my part of the world. Options. I will define my camino as it unfolds. I like a challenge, however. And I desire an authentic experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For each of my caminos I bought Camp Suds from Mountain Equipment Co-op in Toronto and put it in a smaller plastic bottle. It is highly concentrated and a drop or two is sufficient for shower, shampoo, clothes, sox, hands...whatever. Always had lots left over, even after a ten week trip. It served me well. :)
http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=Camp suds

Just found this topic about hair salons. At the risk of sounding totally vain, may I ask if there are places to have one's nails done (manicures, pedicures, acrylic nails) etc? I'm guessing that at the end of 8 weeks I may be looking quite feral, no, let me re phrase that, I WILL be looking quite feral, and will require all sorts of beauty services: tint for the GT stripe on my head, waxworks etc. I'm heading off for a 2 week Mediterranean cruise then on to Italy for 3 weeks, then the UK and Ireland so I don't want to look like a gorilla coming out of the mist.....oh well, probably not that bad but will probably need to scrub up a bit :)

@jmcorrigan likes this soap for skin and hair. I thought it sounded great, and have ordered it from amazon and will use it this spring. Lush was far too drying...
I love shampoo soap bars, solid lotion bars, and tooth powder. Limits the amount of liquid carry-on and is generally longer lasting. Just one JR Liggetts bar shampoo (which we used as body, hair, & clothes washing) lasted 3 weeks for two people...thank goodness I brought a second bar. It was a little drying for my long hair (but not devastating) so this year I am taking a similar all natural shampoo bar from Chagrin Valley to use as an all purpose. Though, I am going to check out the Salon DaLep soap that you mentioned Jmcorrigan. It looks great!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the camino Frances last year and took a combined shampoo and conditioner. My hair reacted badly. This year I shall take separate shampoo, conditioner and some sort of serum or oil, all decanted into small containers. I shall replenish as necessary from one of the many shops along the way, refill my small containers and leave what is left over to anyone who wants to make use of it. I found that some items cannot be skimped, and a good conditioner is one of them.

I vividly remember my dad patiently waiting for me during the last few minutes of my time at home before he took me to the airport for my first Camino, in 2010. I stood there almost in a fog, going back and forth in my mind about whether or not to take the travel-sized bottle of conditioner with me! In the end I decided not to (to save a teeny amount of weight), and wow did I wish I had! I made sure to bring conditioner for my second and third time. Camino sun and dust and sweat are hard on hair, especially for hours at a time, day after day!

Also, it's true that shampoo and conditioner are readily available in Spain, but in my experience those with more natural ingredients (like brands you'd buy at a health food store) are not so easy to find on the Camino. That's why I bring my own from home. It's a bit more weight to carry enough with me for the whole walk, but the bottles get lighter every time I wash my hair. ;)

I think next time I'll also bring a small bottle of Argan oil as I've read that it's sun and dust protection (as well as hydrating) for hair.

Rachel

You guys can see my hair in my profile picture - curly curly curly. Argan oil is a lifesaver - and a little goes a long way, so you don't have to take much.

I have also recently started using Lush solid shampoo to see if it will work for me. So far, so good, as long as I use it with conditioner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes. There are beauty salons in all of the major cities and some of the smaller ones. Generally you can walk in and they will either service you or tell you when to come back. You will need to either speak some spanish or write a translation down to explain what you want done. The hair stylist will most likely not speak English. I found a nice salon in Leon where I had my roots touched up on my lay over day (I was getting really gray). It was a spur of the moment decision when I walked by a salon. It was pure luxury for a ratty looking pilgrim. I was almost embarrassed to walk in the albergue with my shiny freshly blow-dried hair...afraid someone would accuse me of not being a real pilgrim!

My two cents, try out your decided product enough times before you go. It turned out LUSH was much too drying for my hair and skin.
Also, Annie, I love that Vermont Country Store!
I agree. I made that same mistake. I also recommend bringing a high quality hair conditioner - my one luxury item- I find the hard water really ruins my hair.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You guys can see my hair in my profile picture - curly curly curly. Argan oil is a lifesaver - and a little goes a long way, so you don't have to take much.

I have also recently started using Lush solid shampoo to see if it will work for me. So far, so good, as long as I use it with conditioner.

My hair is very similar to yours, curly and with a mind of its own in any kind of humidity or wind, haha! Did you put the Argan oil on every time you got out of the shower when your hair was wet? Or did you sometimes use it when your hair was dry too? I bought some and tried it for the first time yesterday. It feels good! And yes, a little surely does go a long way! The bottle I bought is 50ml so it's a perfect size for flying.

I've tried a couple of different bar soaps before (I did the "Curly Girl" routine for a while, if you've heard of that, and I even tried just using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a while, at a time when my scalp was extra sensitive). I wanted the bars to work but unfortunately with hard water at my place, the coating they left on my hair was pretty icky and sticky and dull. But I have seen several pilgrims with them before. I guess maybe it depends on your hair type too. Thanks for chipping in about the oil! :)

Rachel

I used trek and travel shampoo with conditioner. It is in a 90ml bottle with a screw cap - don't underestimate the importance of the screw cap. I used it as a body wash too, in the shower - one bottle only to take in. Lasted all the way, only a little needed. Had a couple of hotel stops when I used the posh products. Before I went I experimented with solid shampoos, but they didn't suit my highlighted (such vanity) hair at all. If I did another Camino, I would use it again

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just remember the term "afeitarme la cabeza" ou en francais "rase la tete." It will save you all the trouble of worrying about washing and caring for your hair. That's what I do.

Hmm, I was at a wedding last night where the bride took your advice, biarritzdon. Personally, I'd scare the horses.

I experimented with solid shampoos, but they didn't suit my highlighted (such vanity) hair at all

Have you tried the Liggett's bar? I've been very pleased with how it doesn't affect henna, which almost everything else washes away or turns orange.

Okay, my Florida friend are we talking about henna tattoos or something else. I have never scared a horse with my bald head, is that why Bob Baffert has a full head of it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Henna used for its most traditional purpose--as hair dye, but henna isn't nearly as grabby as the chemical dyes more common today and it washes out faster. You live in FL part time, you must have seen old ladies with orangey-pink hair. That's what happens.

As for the horses, believe me, even when I was a lot younger, if I just pulled all my hair back so that my hairline and ears were totally exposed, it usually produced a moment of surprised silence, followed by "Do that again!"

Just remember the term "afeitarme la cabeza" ou en francais "rase la tete." It will save you all the trouble of worrying about washing and caring for your hair. That's what I do.
Can't see the top of your tete on your avatar but I'm guessing you don't give a rip about shampoo for the obvious reason.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back