• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Share your favorite alternate routes on the Francés

Campo

The best things in life aren't things
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Camino Francés, Camino to Nidaros, Camino Primitivo, BF Westweg, West Highland Way
Hello Pilgrims! I'm doing some research on Camino Francés alternative paths and hoping you could share some of your favorites and why. I teach a university program over the summers and have been taking my students on three of them along our 500 mile program; Via Trajana, Pradela and Samos. They love these deviations so much and have been asking me to add some more to our itinerary and hoping to do so in the future. If you’re hesitant about revealing your paths to a group of 20 year olds, I promise we will treasure them and treat them kindly. Our program is very pilgrim conscious-- I try to instill in them the responsibility of being a pilgrim and sharing the path. I try to pass on some aesthetic and cultural dialogues of the Camino and hoping my influence helps a new generation of pilgrims. Would you share your ideas with us? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My favourite by pass Estella in Vilatuerta at gable end of church go left. Well way marked easy to follow and you can then you have a choice for route to Los Arcos right for Monjardin or left via Luquin. You are on lovely mountain path well marked. No servicrs so bring some food etc. Luquin might have shop but not always open. You then join path into los arcos. Its where flood gates open me (tears) day to remember

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After Sarria And the stone bridge you will two sets of arrows at the railroad tracks . I would suggest taking the path to the right across the train tracks up the hill. Please be careful as this is an active railroad route.The views are terrific and not many pilgrims go this way. Ensure you have adequate water no fountains or cafes along the way as the path takes you up above and thru small hamlets. At times I questioned wheather I was on the right path but there are many camino sign post along the way.

Last edited:
Detour to Eunate in Muruzabal and merge with CF in Obanos.
Option on Calzada Romana (after Sahagun) through Calzada del Coto and Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.
After Leon to Villar de Mazarife.
From Hospital de Orbigo through Villares de Orbigo to Astorga.

Others I haven't walked on both or even three options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My favourite by pass Estella in Vilatuerta at gable end of church go left. Well way marked easy to follow and you can then you have a choice for route to Los Arcos right for Monjardin or left via Luquin. You are on lovely mountain path well marked. No servicrs so bring some food etc. Luquin might have shop but not always open. You then join path into los arcos. Its where flood gates open me (tears) day to remember
When the Monjardin municipal and the private lodgings in the village were all full in May 2017, we were given instructions to head over to Luquin where a brand new albergue had just opened above a small bar. It was good sizef and nice and clean. We were a tired group of four, and had the place to ourselves. It was a lifesaver!

Samos was nice. Also did Dragonate after Villa Franca—tough, poorly marked, no one else, but spectacular as well. Long day followed by climb to Faba—glad I did it but not again.

Samos was nice. Also did Dragonate after Villa Franca—tough, poorly marked, no one else, but spectacular as well. Long day followed by climb to Faba—glad I did it but not again.
I'm impressed you walked the Dragonate route, especially as a female! I know it was better waymarked last year to help. What year did you walk (climb :)) it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These are some great suggestions! Will be researching them for next year-- thank you all!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back