• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Share Your Magical Camino Moments

AdventureBecca

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances + Finisterre (July-August 2015)
Portuguese Coastal Camino + Finisterre/Muxia (July-August 2016)
Hi everyone!

I had an idea for a post I want to write on my Camino blog. I want to try and create a post that will be a compilation of Camino snippets from various pilgrims. In this way, I hope to create a kind of written mosaic to represent the magic of the Camino.

To that end, I'm asking pilgrims far and wide to share their most magical Camino moment. (If you can't narrow it down to THE most magical Camino moment you experienced, feel free to share A most magical Camino moment you experienced.)

I'll probably leave this thread active for a couple months before I start writing the blog post. That way I can hopefully get a larger collection. I can't wait to hear your stories! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For the sake of fairness, I'll go first!

It's hard to pick just one moment, but I'm going to go with the day I met my Camino Family. I felt that I wanted my Camino to be an unplanned adventure... just start walking and see where the route takes me. To that end, the only things I had planned in advance were when I would start it and when I would end it. (I needed to have my flights to and from Canada booked in advance, after all!)

In this little bit of planning, I had worked out that I would arrive in Roncesvalles on July 2nd, and I was hell bent on making that happen. Plan A didn't work out, so then I devised Plan B, which would still get me to Roncesvalles on the 2nd. Both of these plans failed for reasons involving public transit delays and jet lag. In the end, Plan C got me to Roncesvalles on July 3rd.

And that's when I met my Camino family. We stuck together through the entire Camino, and now, over a year later, we still keep in touch. These are all very special people to me, and my relationship with one of them blossomed into a Camino romance that is still alive and thriving today.

I find it mind-boggling that I never would have met any of them if either of my original plans had worked out. I truly believe that some kind of Camino magic was at work here, making sure that I arrived in Roncesvalles exactly when I needed to so that I could meet these wonderful people. :)

September of 2014. It was in Granon. I was giving myself a walking tour and a dog came up and put her paws on my knees and then took my hand ever so softly in her mouth. Her owner (the woman in the picture) came running up from around the corner and was saying no no no to the dog. I told her with a smile I was ok. She spoke no English, I speak barely any Spanish. Yet we ended up talking for 45 minutes. We talked about dogs, husbands, kids, how old we were, where I am from. It was a magical experience.
granon.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although 10 caminos and more than 450 nights usually in albergues provide limitless memories for which I am forever grateful, January 24, 2009, was singular.

I had walked 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos route to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims on the route; needed to ring the the monastery bell to ask for shelter and would be the only one staying in the frigid old winter albergue tucked opposite the cloister entrance.

When opening the monastery door the surprised monk greeted me saying "Senora in weather like this!" After stamping my Credential and offering hot tea, he invited me to the evening benediction. As always it was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood and will continue to stand throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

I had stopped to take a selfie. As I was attempting to get myself properly framed in the picture, a sweet voice called out, "Do you want some help?" Preoccupied, I mindlessly replied, "No thanks, I got this." When I was done, I saw a woman walking away. Thinking that I was a bit a rude, I quickened my pace to apologize to her. About 200 meters down the path I overcame her and struck up a conversation.

And that's how I met my wife.

It's difficult to choose just one...but I think the one I most used the adjective 'magical' in recounting: It was a rare day, neither snow nor rain (though it had been raining heavily), and I was on the Norte early in spring. I like to walk early, it's quiet and I can think. As I walked through the woods a deer walked out onto the path and stopped--we both stood still as she looked at me for a minute, then began walking on the path ahead of me, ignoring me as I walked behind for some distance. She left the road, and turned to look at me as I passed. I said 'Buen Camino' and she blinked then turned and slowly walked into the woods. The sun began to shine and butterflies danced along-if I held up my hands they would land (yes I know they just wanted the water and salt in my sweat, but let me remember the magic). I passed under some low branches, and small birds were splashing in a large puddle and flying about all around me. I half expected snow white to come walking up to me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... I had an idea for a post I want to write on my Camino blog. I want to try and create a post that will be a compilation of Camino snippets from various pilgrims. ... To that end, I'm asking pilgrims far and wide to share their most magical Camino moment. ...

Just out of curiosity - How will you credit the writings of others on your blog? Buen Camino, SY

Boadilla del Camino. First albergue to the left at the entrance and there's a terrace. A beer. Nothing. Empty. Don't know why. Just me at my table. German pair at another just leaving and a girl at another table talking to them in German. I waited for Germans to depart. The girl talking to them had an accent that and I knew she wasn't German. We began to talk and I learned she was from Barcelona, opera singer, walking alone.

In that time I was in a kind of cleaning myself from very "unhealthy" period after ended relationship. I was so taken by Camino and craved to share with ANYONE I love what I'm experiencing in that exact moment. Nobody there, no girlfreind, more than 1000 kilometers from home, nobody... That was exactly the first serious topic we exchanged with "chica catalana". Talked about sharing a lot. Two days later, dimmed corridor in attic part of albergue in Ledigos, few seconds, few words, everybody already asleep, storm outside... And we hugged. Just that. And I was able to give. And take. Again.

We went along off and on to Santiago. She was very ill in Ponferrada and I slowed myself down. Took care of her. We came together to Praza do Obradoiro. Wept while hugging each other. She went back to Barcelona for rehearsal and few days later joined me in Cee. Then on to Fisterra. We never see each other since then. Although we have a contact.

Nothing came out of that relationship. Wrong. A LOT came out of it or after it or because of it. For her it was renewed hope that there is still someone who would give. For me it was that there is anytime somebody in need of (me). For the two of us as a couple - we knew Camino is Camino and we have our lives that we live our own way which isn't compatible at the time being. Sadly...

Last edited:
Boadilla del Camino. First albergue to the left at the entrance and there's a terrace. A beer. Nothing. Empty. Don't know why. Just me at my table. German pair at another just leaving and a girl at another table talking to them in German. I waited for Germans to depart. The girl talking to them had an accent that and I knew she wasn't German. We began to talk and I learned she was from Barcelona, opera singer, walking alone.

In that time I was in a kind of cleaning myself from very "unhealthy" period after ended relationship. I was so taken by Camino and craved to share with ANYONE I love what I'm experiencing in that exact moment. Nobody there, no girlfreind, more than 1000 kolimeters from home, nobody... That was exactly the first serious topic we exchanged with "chica catalana". Talked about sharing a lot. Two days later, dimmed corridor in attic part of albergue in Ledigos, few seconds, few words, everybody already asleep, storm outside... And we hugged. Just that. And I was able to give. And take. Again.

We went along off and on to Santiago. She was very ill in Ponferrada and I slowed myself down. Took care of her. We came together to Praza do Obradoiro. Wept while hugging each other. She went back to Barcelona for rehearsal and few days later joined me in Cee. Then on to Fisterra. We never see each other since then. Although we have a contact.

Nothing came out of that relationship. Wrong. A LOT came out of it or after it or because of it. For her it was renewed hope that there is still someone who would give. For me it was that there is anytime somebody in need of (me). For the two of us as a couple - we knew Camino is Camino and we have our lives that we live our own way which isn't compatible at the time being.

nice story, thanks!...as if Hemingway walked the Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've probably mentioned this in some other thread but after a tough uphill walk, I came to a place near the main town square (don't remember which one). There was a woman sitting on the curb playing a guitar and singing a Korean song. I had no idea what the words meant but the music was so uplifting I just sat there and listened and felt totally reinvigorated.

We ran into each other often over the next few weeks and when I visited Seoul this year I made it a point to visit her at her cafe/free school where she works as a music teacher among other things.

Just out of curiosity - How will you credit the writings of others on your blog? Buen Camino, SY

I haven't figured out exactly what the blog post will look like... I figure for that I'll have to wait and see what stories people share and how they fit together. So I'm not sure to what extent I'll be using direct quotations, or paraphrasing, or making general vague statements (ex: "many people felt their most magical moment involved connecting with a stranger" or whatever the case may be).

But in terms of giving credit where credit is due, I figured that for any stories that I use in more than a vague statement, I would touch base individually with the story's "owner" and find out how they want to be given credit... real name, or forum name, or a fake name to protect anonymity.

If anyone has any thoughts about how I should approach the issue of giving credit, I am open to suggestions! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
July 2016. Met Laurie and Jerry at meeting point in Santiago.

For four days on the way to Fisterra there were mom and her son from Belgium. Every day I have seen them. Last day, maybe two hours walking before Cee we finally talked. She told me her son was diagnosed cancer (blood). Her husband, son's father, left them soon after that and she decided that she too will get a cancer. Decided! By her will she kind of welcomed cancer with which was also diagnosed. I asked her why and she told me that she wanted to be on the same with her boy. To feel, to experience what he is experiencing to be able to help him better. I asked her but what if she by any chance die (if at all, of course) before him, who will take care of the kid. And she told me that if she "invited" her cancer she can also send/recall it away.

I was crying all the way to Cee.

It was early in the morning as I turned to look at the sun rising above los arcos and the clouds reflecting its light.
I reflected on the wonderful night shared with pilgrims talking and enjoying food and drink only 2 days after starting and not knowing anyone.
I then realised how much I loved my wife and how lucky I was that i have the life I do.
After crying both with joy and sorrow for a while I set off as light as a feather realising if my Camino ended then and there it would have been all worth it.
Luckily for me the Camino had many more wonderful moments for me to enjoy but that moment is the one that I cherish.

I have posted this before I think, some years ago now .. I remember it well and it always makes me smile ... my first Camino, in the year 5, from Moissac.

Early March, few pilgrims, and many days of joyful walking alone .. I am retired now but my first degree was religions and theology and my field was the development of early Christianity ... I was strolling along, my body taking care of itself, my brain clean oxygen-filled from the exercise, and I was thinking, as I had been for the previous few days, about the development of Christianity .... holding times and events and lies and truths and images in my mind .... as I walked down a tree covered section towards what would be a small flat valley before climbing the other side I suddenly had it all - could see it all utterly clearly ... a moment of utter clarity - you know those clocks that sit in a glass dome and you can look at the workings from any angle and see it all moves and how it all hangs together?

It was like that .. I could see it all, look at it all (perhaps over oxygenated my brain!) .. and as I reached the bottom of the hill, not looking outwards but looking inwards, I stopped and stood still as I thought “but how does this relate to the concept of a benevolent interventionist reality?” and at that moment the sun came out and I looked outwards again and I saw that I was standing in a small grass clearing with a bubbling brook, crossed by an old wooden bridge, the sun shafts coming down through the trees - and as I stood, feet planted into the ground, at the centre of this absolute beauty, a dozen or so tiny lilac blue butterflies rose up and flew around my legs, dancing in the air - and I threw my head back and laughed a laugh of deepest deepest joy.

That, for me, my Camino moment.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

In that time I was in a kind of cleaning myself from very "unhealthy" period after ended relationship. I was so taken by Camino and craved to share with ANYONE I love what I'm experiencing in that exact moment. Nobody there, no girlfreind, more than 1000 kilometers from home, nobody... That was exactly the first serious topic we exchanged with "chica catalana". Talked about sharing a lot. Two days later, dimmed corridor in attic part of albergue in Ledigos, few seconds, few words, everybody already asleep, storm outside... And we hugged. Just that. And I was able to give. And take. Again.

Nothing came out of that relationship. Wrong. A LOT came out of it or after it or because of it. For her it was renewed hope that there is still someone who would give. For me it was that there is anytime somebody in need of (me). For the two of us as a couple - we knew Camino is Camino and we have our lives that we live our own way which isn't compatible at the time being. Sadly...

Oh my God! I am still in Shock... I am an Opera singer from Turkey and I can speak also German because I live in Vienna... I met someone in Boadilla del Camino in an albergue with swimming pool and we had beer together.. He also broke up with his girlfriend and came to Camino. From that time we couldnt seperate from each other... We fell in love, we are still in love... But living far away from each other.. Your story is exactly the same as mine! Only I am turkish... Such a nice story!

Oh my God! I am still in Shock... I am an Opera singer from Turkey and I can speak also German because I live in Vienna... I met someone in Boadilla del Camino in an albergue with swimming pool and we had beer together.. He also broke up with his girlfriend and came to Camino. From that time we couldnt seperate from each other... We fell in love, we are still in love... But living far away from each other.. Your story is exactly the same as mine! Only I am turkish... Such a nice story!
Isn't that something :D
Obviously Boadilla del Camino, German language, female opera singers, saddened males, beer and love could be tag words for our stories. The only thing that's logical for me is that opera singer must know at least some German for obvious musical reasons (like Wagner et al.). My "love" learned it in Germany while studying there.

I hope your love will flourish and that one day you'll be able to start living together.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back