• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Share your shoe story!

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
What a lot of men seem to have with their cars, I have with my shoes. I love them. It is a strange sensation, but you bond with them as a pilgrim. They bring you all the way to wherever and you share so many adventures... This must sound familiar to my family here, so... share your shoe story ;-)

2015-07-07 15.22.17.jpg

This is my 5th (right) and my 6th pair. Scarpa Zen, always. I walk about 1500 kms on them, then I have to toss them away (something I find hard to do). My 5th and 6th pair met in Frómista, on the Camino Francés. My 5th pair brought me from Burgundy in France, through Le Puy en Velay and St Jean Pied de Port to Frómista.

There my brand new 6th pair arrived (that my parents sent to me from the Netherlands). I collected them from the post office and the next day I walked on my 6th pair with my 5th pair still in my hands. Rationally so I could change to them if my new pair would cause me blisters, but emotionally because I couldn't let them go yet.

This is what my 6th pair looks like now:

20180531_132550.jpg

Next to them is my 7th pair. Just delivered to me in Ribadesella. My 6th pair didn't only bring me from Frómista to Santiago, but also from Irún to Ribadesella on the Norte (apart from a lot of smaller hikes). Now it is almost time to say goodbye and welcome my 7th pair.

Maybe I should give them names...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My Camino Merrells always ended up with new jobs as yard and home maintenance footwear at the end of the walks. There was one pair that were just so grungy at the end of the Camino I just binned them in Santiago and flew home in my Teva sandals.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have one pair of Ecco sandals and 4 pair of Teva Tirra sandals worn out on the camino but they are used as sandals at work, garden shoes, walking to the store shoes, one pair is always in the car etc... I know that they wear out (the special shock absorber in the heal just collapse) just under 400 km so on Camino Norte i wore one pair and had a second pair in the backpack and switching to a new pair midways was lovely!

The story of the shoes in the Avatar.
The shoes on the left are mine, part of a long series of Brooks bought , worn out, and stored downstairs in the garage. Bought them May 2017 before our Camino, were worn out and replaced by August 2017. The pair I bought in August 2017 to replace them are themselves already worn out. Brooks are perfect for my feet - but the soles wear out so quickly.
The Tevas at the top were bought in Astorga June 2017 to deal with the blisters caused by too-small shoes , she wore them on every hike and everywhere since, and they are now worn out needing replacement. She is mourning their loss, they were brilliant. Never kicked her toes, didn't get stones in them, they didn't rub. A pity she didn't buy them earlier, she had weeks of walking with really sore blisters.
The ones at the bottom were bought on the Way as well, but didnt really work out other than as casual shoes.
The trick is, whether shoes or sandals, make sure they are roomy enough width wise, you can see from the photo they were too small.

You can see plenty of well earned Camino dust on all of them..

Last edited:
Before Camino... I was a Stuart Weitzman kind of shoe girl. Beautiful shoes with lavish leathers and pretty heels, pointy toes... frivolous embellishments. Comfortable. I loved every pair.
Then there were a variety of stresses and health issues than tore through the family like a wildfire, and the only way I could calm myself was to find new footing.
I decided to go on Camino when my mum gave me the airfare so that I would finally do something frivolous for myself. My previous life shoes were part of a whole professional way of being in the world and the embellishments on the shoes were my only indulgence in my life. I don't wear jewelry. I don't do *fancy*. But I had nice suits, and power shoes.
So I bought my ticket for the Camino I'd been talking about for 3 years.
Then my friend, a field anthropologist, loaned me her casque boots for 3 days to try out before she intended to send them back to REI because she's bought a size too small for her. I tried them, and hated them. They made my knees and tibias hurt so badly, I regretted the day I was born.
I hunted around... found Keens that were narrow enough in the heel, had the arch in the right place and a nice toe-box. But man! Those things were ugly. I still think hiking boots are *ugly*. It's like there is an effort to make women look like Olive Oil when we are out on the trail. My boots were big enough on my legs to look like ski-boots in photos!
I wore them from SJPDP to Santo Domingo, by which time the heat was getting to me and I was desperate for something less "sturdy".
I went into the gear shop in Santo Domingo, and found the Keen sandals that would take me all the way to Astorga.
I strapped the boots to my pack, and trudged along in bright green sandals and fluorescent Wright socks, looking like Kermit the Frog in pink socks. It was madness. But in the whole walk I had only one blister -- and that one will likely return this summer as it is caused by a broken toe that set poorly and defies protection.
My walk was in 2014. Second walk is booked for late summer this year.
I've had several pairs of Keens since. I figured out that they cost me about $0.11 per KM and I walk about 3500 km per year now.
I almost never wear my beautiful shoes anymore.
Every day, my feet have one fugly clodhopper or another on them.
But life is better and my body is fitter...
IMG_2993.JPG

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before Camino... I was a Stuart Weitzman kind of shoe girl. Beautiful shoes with lavish leathers and pretty heels, pointy toes... frivolous embellishments. Comfortable. I loved every pair.
Then there were a variety of stresses and health issues than tore through the family like a wildfire, and the only way I could calm myself was to find new footing.
I decided to go on Camino when my mum gave me the airfare so that I would finally do something frivolous for myself. My previous life shoes were part of a whole professional way of being in the world and the embellishments on the shoes were my only indulgence in my life. I don't wear jewelry. I don't do *fancy*. But I had nice suits, and power shoes.
So I bought my ticket for the Camino I'd been talking about for 3 years.
Then my friend, a field anthropologist, loaned me her casque boots for 3 days to try out before she intended to send them back to REI because she's bought a size too small for her. I tried them, and hated them. They made my knees and tibias hurt so badly, I regretted the day I was born.
I hunted around... found Keens that were narrow enough in the heel, had the arch in the right place and a nice toe-box. But man! Those things were ugly. I still think hiking boots are *ugly*. It's like there is an effort to make women look like Olive Oil when we are out on the trail. My boots were big enough on my legs to look like ski-boots in photos!
I wore them from SJPDP to Santo Domingo, by which time the heat was getting to me and I was desperate for something less "sturdy".
I went into the gear shop in Santo Domingo, and found the Keen sandals that would take me all the way to Astorga.
I strapped the boots to my pack, and trudged along in bright green sandals and fluorescent Wright socks, looking like Kermit the Frog in pink socks. It was madness. But in the whole walk I had only one blister -- and that one will likely return this summer as it is caused by a broken toe that set poorly and defies protection.
My walk was in 2014. Second walk is booked for late summer this year.
I've had several pairs of Keens since. I figured out that they cost me about $0.11 per KM and I walk about 3500 km per year now.
I almost never wear my beautiful shoes anymore.
Every day, my feet have one fugly clodhopper or another on them.
But life is better and my body is fitter...

Yes, I'm like you. Boxes and boxes of high heeled corporate shoes. Since my 2016 Camino, I've hardly worn them. I've worn nothing but flat shoes, or slight wedges - all my beautiful shoes will now go out of fashion, as I build up a collection of stylish but FLAT shoes, ones with wriggle room at the toe.
Funny thing is I have the smallest feet in the family, so although everyone wants my shoes, they cant fit them!
My feet just look big in my walking shoes, as I deliberately buy them big to get room in the toe box.

Can you wrap the toe with tape?

Sadly, no. It's a 90 degree bend inward of the left pinky. The toe appears straight when you look at it, but the end is "empty" and the distal end of the bone pounds into the toe beside. Tapng the toe beside works, but taping the little toe is ineffective. I just live with it. There's not much feeling there for obvious reasons. So I just keep it clean.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I'm like you. Boxes and boxes of high heeled corporate shoes. Since my 2016 Camino, I've hardly worn them. I've worn nothing but flat shoes, or slight wedges - all my beautiful shoes will now go out of fashion, as I build up a collection of stylish but FLAT shoes, ones with wriggle room at the toe.
Funny thing is I have the smallest feet in the family, so although everyone wants my shoes, they cant fit them!
My feet just look big in my walking shoes, as I deliberately buy them big to get room in the toe box.
Keep your shoes. They always come back into style. I am still able to shop my own closet for major functions (like, the other day I had a meeting with a international governance person; I did not wear my Keens). But I do wear one form of Keens or another almost every day now.

Keep your shoes. They always come back into style. I am still able to shop my own closet for major functions (like, the other day I had a meeting with a international governance person; I did not wear my Keens). But I do wear one form of Keens or another almost every day now.
i was about to make same recommendation! If you have storage room... one day they will be a family heirloom.

I figured out that they cost me about $0.11 per KM and I walk about 3500 km per year now.
That is so funny, I calculated the costs of my shoes as well! My Scarpa Zens cost me €0,08 to €0,10 per km!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a lot of men seem to have with their cars, I have with my shoes. I love them. It is a strange sensation, but you bond with them as a pilgrim. They bring you all the way to wherever and you share so many adventures... This must sound familiar to my family here, so... share your shoe story ;-)

View attachment 43161

This is my 5th (right) and my 6th pair. Scarpa Zen, always. I walk about 1500 kms on them, then I have to toss them away (something I find hard to do). My 5th and 6th pair met in Frómista, on the Camino Francés. My 5th pair brought me from Burgundy in France, through Le Puy en Velay and St Jean Pied de Port to Frómista.

There my brand new 6th pair arrived (that my parents sent to me from the Netherlands). I collected them from the post office and the next day I walked on my 6th pair with my 5th pair still in my hands. Rationally so I could change to them if my new pair would cause me blisters, but emotionally because I couldn't let them go yet.

This is what my 6th pair looks like now:

View attachment 43164

Next to them is my 7th pair. Just delivered to me in Ribadesella. My 6th pair didn't only bring me from Frómista to Santiago, but also from Irún to Ribadesella on the Norte (apart from a lot of smaller hikes). Now it is almost time to say goodbye and welcome my 7th pair.

Maybe I should give them names...

I put outdoor plants in My favorite shoes that can't go another mile. So two pairs of Keens are full of succulents! So they are close , not thrown away and useful!

It’s all true! I would end up somewhere after a long day, dusty or muddy shoes, sitting on a bed looking at my HOKAs and doing something like bowing down to them for being so amazing and helping me along the way! They are now pretty worn out, and I have a new pair, but they are still in my closet. Haven’t even considered throwing them out. As a matter of fact am thinking of framing them with my Compostela and credencial!

Sadly, no. It's a 90 degree bend inward of the left pinky. The toe appears straight when you look at it, but the end is "empty" and the distal end of the bone pounds into the toe beside. Tapng the toe beside works, but taping the little toe is ineffective. I just live with it. There's not much feeling there for obvious reasons. So I just keep it clean.
Try some of those latex toe caps they sell on EBay. Work well for me, as do the rest of the similar products. As you can tell, my feet are not in the best of shape.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
g I Love my old Keens and I Love my newer Lowas which I have just walked the Camino Frances in....Sadly, though the Lowas were much more expensive, they have not worn well - one of the heels is almost worn through but the upper part of the boots look brand new. I am thinking of writing to Lowa and asking what, if anything can be done as far as repair or replacement. My Keens have done well over 2.500ks whereas the Lowas have only completed one Camino Frances plus the training I put in before my walk.....Sad....

I used the cheapest pair of Salomons (linked below) and they lasted two Caminos (well over 1000k), one Bibbulmun Track (800k) and about 1000k of NZ's rugged backcountry. I also wore them quite a bit when travelling.

They cost EUR 60 in El Corte Ingles. I am buying another pair soon.

They are totally not waterproof in any way whatsoever but are super breathable, comfortable and tough.

Probably had two blisters in total. One was after a 30km road walk in the middle of a New Zealand summer.

You don't always have to spend lots if you know where to look.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/s...V2oXVCh27fwBoEAQYAiABEgKBZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not just the footwear, buy good socks, we bought special ones from Decathlon, well worth the cost!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.