• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sharing a bed in albergues

blackbird

Hi,
I'm planning on walking the camino with my boyfriend and would like to know if it is frowned upon to share bunks in albergues/refugios (chastely, obviously it would be incredibly rude to get up to any shenanigans in a public setting). And if, as I suspect, sharing beds is not completely acceptable, what percentage of dormitories are mixed gender so we can at least sleep in the same room.

Any advice on walking as a couple would be welcome. We plan on getting hotel rooms occasionally, but we don't have a lot of extra money so it's not always an option.

We're starting out from st Jean pied de port at the beginning of April.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sure others will also express views on this topic. In my expereince lots of the albergue accommodation is mixed so if you wish you can be in the same room if there is space. It will be helpful that you arrive together. In terms of the beds themselves - in my experience they are very much singles and accommodating two people would be impossible. Bunk beds are the norm. Some albergues particularly those which are privately owned have double and twin rooms available at a higher charge.

Have a look at the previous post from Sil: el-camino-frances/topic5704.html

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
hi blackbird
and welcome to the forum.
rest assured most of the dorms are mixed-the odd ones will if poss split males and females up- the Albergue at Roncevalles puts the bunks so close together your sleeping check by jowl with complete strangers and trust me no one minds the odd intimate gesture between couples the odd albergue has rooms for small groups or couples I think the Spanish is matrimonial or double which will be twin beds-if going private 20/30 euro's should get you a room,I have to say that after a long days walk "shenanigans" were not always the first thing on my mind-but I'm guessing your a fair bit younger than most.
enjoy the time with your boyfriend I hope the camino is a beautiful time for you both and brings you even closer.
Ian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many albergues push the bunks together so that you have two people right next to each other.
In 2007 I walked the camino with a friend and Annelise, a German nun. We always tried to get a bed next to her so that she wouldn't have to sleep next to a man. I told her that if she snored I might unconciously prod her during the night and say, "Turn over Darling". She smiled and said, "Well, that'll be a first!"
In Melide, as soon as the lights went out a man tip-toed down to our end of the room and climbed up into the bunk above her to share it with the woman sleeping there. Annelise's face was an absolute picture! I wondered if the couple above knew that they were canoodleling on top of a Dominican sister!
You'll be able to stay together often.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.