• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sharing beds

margarita4

Hello all, I'll be heading out on my walk June 17th and i'm going with a male friend. was wondering how the albergues feel about sharing beds; men and women being in the same bed. I'm sure the hot nights i'll be more than happy to have my own little bunk. but the cooler nights, will there be a problem?

thank you so much. (i'm so excited to finally get started!!!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
margarita4 said:
Hello all, I'll be heading out on my walk June 17th and i'm going with a male friend. was wondering how the albergues feel about sharing beds; men and women being in the same bed. I'm sure the hot nights i'll be more than happy to have my own little bunk. but the cooler nights, will there be a problem?

I would advice you not to do that. It's just something you don't do out of respect to your fellow pilgrims. :)

thanks for the response. I wasn't sure. i was also thinking taking up only 1 bed instead of 2 would be a good thing, but i understand what you mean.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with the above however, if the beds were scarce and you could top and tail it - eg you sleep at his feet and he sleeps at your feet (you are upside down from each other but still along side each other) you might be helping other pilgrims by freeing up a bed. Not sure how comfortable it would be, but I don't think other pilgrims would mind if it was obvious you were only sharing a bed space rather than anything else, if you know what I mean :oops:

In Galicia, most of the albergues can't take in more than their allocated number of pilgrims. If the fire regulations and insurance rules stipulate 20 peregrinos then 20 is the maximum allowed.
Some of the double bunks are rickety as it is, with just one body on the top bunk. Two might pose a danger to the poor peregino on the bottom!

For some people the beds are barely large enough for one person. There was a poor guy from Australia who was at least 6 feet and some change and he had a heck of a time fitting in some of the bunks in the Albergues! I can't imagine sharing one of those tiny bunks with another person!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In some albergues bunk beds are pushed together so that you sleep alongside another pilgrim. Like this one at Roncesvalles.

Many albergues have matresses on the floor - you can push those togther if you want to.

Some albergues have beds and you could push those together as well.

There are many opportunities to sleep alongside each other. Many couples share a bed for their afternoon siesta - and why not?

Attachments

• Roncesvalles albergue.JPG
    Roncesvalles albergue.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,328
  • Villamyor Monjardin.JPG
    Villamyor Monjardin.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,329
  • Bercianos.jpg
    Bercianos.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,325
In May 2004 a couple who were adverse to using soap or having showers shared a bed in an albergue. In the morning, while everyone was getting up, they took it a step further.

I was speechless, as were the other pilgrims. I think everyone was uncomfortable.

I suggest one person per bed, and when two beds are pushed together, content yourselves with holding hands. Otherwise, get a private room in one of the many hotels.

David, Victoria, Canada

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Marcel234 said:
margarita4 said:

I would advice you not to do that. It's just something you don't do out of respect to your fellow pilgrims. :)

i must say that i agree. things might have changed since my last trek ('06) but couples tend to lean more towards a conservative front when it comes to bunking. there was, during my journey, an Italian couple that, night after night, didn't share a bunk nor display any other signs of their commitment (marriage) to one-another. after seeing them day after day at the same hostels and, thus, befriending the, i learned of their relationship to one-another. it was during this understanding that i learned of their desire not to make other pilgrims feel awkward or uncomfortable.
i say... be modest! a couple doing such a pilgrimage is beautiful, but too much openness might offend other pilgrims!

Last year we kept on meeting a young newly married Irish couple. They married in May and due to a change of plans, found that they had time on their hands until the end of the year, so at the beginning of July, decided to walk the Camino, setting out from Dublin. We met up with them towards the end of September and on a couple of occasions, shared the same dormitory. Before lights out, he would SIT on the side of her bunk and spend about five minutes of whispering together. A few secret thoughts, maybe a prayer? Nothing else. I agree, modesty and avoid offending fellow pilgrims should be the top on the list of "albergue etiquette"! If you want to share a bed, then you should book into a pension. Anne

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back