• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sheet of plastic for beds?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances in 2016, Portuguese in 2017, and Frances again in 2018. Madrid to Ponferrada 2019.
Just wondering if it's worthwhile to bring an inexpensive plastic mattress cover or sheet of plastic to put under the sleeping bag to guard against bed bugs? Any recommendations on type of pillow case to bring with to put in fleece other clothing to use as a pillow?
Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Plastic might be a bit noisy and uncomfortable, but it would protect against bed bugs on the mattress. They do climb bed posts or drop from above, so it won't be perfect. I use a lightweight soft Tyvek sheets that is treated with permethrin. It is quieter and soft to sleep on. :)

I agree with Faclon whilst a plastic mattress cover will contain any bugs and eggs on the mattress the little buggers are extremely skilled at hiding behind pictures, lights sockets and in any nook or cranny. You can check the edge folds of mattress's to see if you can see any bugs, shells or the horrid black marks that they leave and if seen alert the owner.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Plastic might be a bit noisy and uncomfortable, but it would protect against bed bugs on the mattress. They do climb bed posts or drop from above, so it won't be perfect. I use a lightweight soft Tyvek sheets that is treated with permethrin. It is quieter and soft to sleep on. :)
Thanks for the good information.

I agree with Faclon whilst a plastic mattress cover will contain any bugs and eggs on the mattress the little buggers are extremely skilled at hiding behind pictures, lights sockets and in any nook or cranny. You can check the edge folds of mattress's to see if you can see any bugs, shells or the horrid black marks that they leave and if seen alert the owner.
Thank you for your comment.

Last 2 Caminos we carried plastic. Not noisey at all but it only protects from below, as stated these buggers are crafty.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Plastic will reflect body heat and moisture and you might find yourself waking up very sweaty!

There was a guy one night who had an aluminum foil cover, you could hear his every move all night long. I can only imagine the same thing with plastic depending on the thickness.

Thank you for all your responses. I think I'm pretty squared away. I'm going to take a sheer curtain treated with Premethrin.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Any place that puts up a sign that they have no bed bugs, that is an alert that they did have them. That was where I encounter my first bites. Funny that the next place I stayed at, a fellow pilgrim saw the same notice and was bitten as well.
So watch out when you see those signs that said We are Bed Bug free. LOL

I just bought several yards of the soft 1443R Tyvek to use a a sheet. Did you leave yours flat or did you make it into a fitted sheet? I understand that if I sew it, I need to use long stitches so it doesn't weaken the material and cause it to tear along the stitching.

Thanks Falcon 269,

Judy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back