• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sheet?

Ali Jones

Time of past OR future Camino
First time
Hi everyone,
Is it important to take a sheet to cover the mattress in refugios ? I am struggling to keep down the weight of my pack and wondering how/if anyone manages without one ? Of course I'd love to take one, and a comfy pillow, but wondering what it's like to do without ?
Flying to Biarritz this time next week, and starting to walk on Wednesday.
Ali

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All albergues cover their mattresses with something. In Galicia you are give a paper sheet and pillow case, in most other places there is a contour sheet and pillowcase but I doubt they are washed daily. On the Norte and Primitivo a number of albergues give you proper sheets: contour and flat, as well as a pillow case.

If you plan on sleeping in a sleeping bag or liner you may be ok with a contour sheet that has already been slept in, only you can decide. Will you also be ok sleeping directly on one without the liner or bag? Only you can decide. But know that very very few people bring a sheet and pillowcase.

I now bring a pillowcase, but you could also use your towel or a tshirt for that. I also bring large piece of tule sprayed with permetryne to cover the mattress, but very few do that. And what would it be like to sleep on directly? I went out yesterday to buy a softer yet light peice of fabric to spray and cover the matress since for the cirst time I will be sleeping with a quilt, not a bag of somesort.

Thankyou,
All albergues cover their mattresses with something. In Galicia you are give a paper sheet and pillow case, in most other places there is a contour sheet and pillowcase but I doubt they are washed daily. On the Norte and Primitivo a number of albergues give you proper sheets: contour and flat, as well as a pillow case.

If you plan on sleeping in a sleeping bag or liner you may be ok with a contour sheet that has already been slept in, only you can decide. Will you also be ok sleeping directly on one without the liner or bag? Only you can decide. But know that very very few people bring a sheet and pillowcase.

I now bring a pillowcase, but you could also use your towel or a tshirt for that. I also bring large piece of tule sprayed with permetryne to cover the mattress, but very few do that. And what would it be like to sleep on directly? I went out yesterday to buy a softer yet light peice of fabric to spray and cover the matress since for the cirst time I will be sleeping with a quilt, not a bag of somesort.
Thankyou, that's helpful. ....and they provide pillows..awesome! I imagined having to do without.
As you sound like an old hand...is it necessary to bring waterproof trousers ? I haven't got any...and running out of time to acquire some that don't weigh a ton.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
Is it important to take a sheet to cover the mattress in refugios ? I am struggling to keep down the weight of my pack and wondering how/if anyone manages without one ? Of course I'd love to take one, and a comfy pillow, but wondering what it's like to do without ?
Flying to Biarritz this time next week, and starting to walk on Wednesday.
Ali

One of the best lessons of the Camino is how little you need to survive. Pack light, my friend. Health, Love & Luck!

is it necessary to bring waterproof trousers ?
No. :)
If you have a sleeping bag, you won't need a sheet. There are more beds without sheets than there are with them. Pillows are provided in most albergues. Cleanliness is a bit doubtful! My sleeping sack has a pocket for the pillow, so I never have to lie directly on it. Keep the disposable pillow case from the first place that provides one, and you can reuse it until you get another one.

Thankyou,

Thankyou, that's helpful. ....and they provide pillows..awesome! I imagined having to do without.
As you sound like an old hand...is it necessary to bring waterproof trousers ? I haven't got any...and running out of time to acquire some that don't weigh a ton.
Again it depends. Since you are flying into Biarritz I assume you are walking the Norte? It can have more rain and wind than the Frances, then agai I had extraordianry weather and horrible weather on the Frances in May of 2013. I has rain pants that May and was grareful, not just for not being wet, but not being cold. Mac in a Sac makes inexpensive and very light rain pants. And BTW, I have never been in an albergje that didn't have a contour sheet, except perhaps where the mattresses are covered in a special plastic, but even then I think there was a sheet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back