• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sheffield James on the Camino Viejo -- LOTS of good info!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ok, so I will put in the guide albergue El Chalten (& camping las Hoces de Vegacervera) for easier orientation.
any other comments on any part of the route or accommodation I should add before posting the guide to the resources? especially on those parts that can't be viewed with google cameras.
Hi Caminka, is it possible to see a latest draft version of the guide to help answer your question about any additional information before you publish in the resources section?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Caminka, is it possible to see a latest draft version of the guide to help answer your question about any additional information before you publish in the resources section?

of course. I will post it here next week when I get to a computer with the appropriate convert to pdf function.

These are beautiful! So did you walk from Miranda de Ebro to Aguilar de Campoo? I am totally confused as to where this stage fit into your Olvidado. Sorry to be dense!
@peregrina2000, I walked from Pamplona to Miranda de Ebro, then cut inland to follow roughly the GR route Caminka took to reach Aguilar de Campoo. It is definitely the Camino Olvidado after this junction, but I have no real idea what to call the pre-Aguilar section (though some is part of the Camino Interior/Via Bayonne/ Tunnel Route). I recall there was a discussion of nomenclature on a previous blog, but it didn’t really clarify the confusion about what to call the route out of Pamplona + to what exactly the name Camino Viejo should refer.

here is the pdf version with all the comments from the above posts. the off-google-video sections are highlighted in blue (they won't be in the final version) and the altered/corrected text after your blog is underlined. if you still have problems with pdf downloads, pm me.

It is definitely the Camino Olvidado after this junction, but I have no real idea what to call the pre-Aguilar section (though some is part of the Camino Interior/Via Bayonne/ Tunnel Route). I recall there was a discussion of nomenclature on a previous blog, but it didn’t really clarify the confusion about what to call the route out of Pamplona + to what exactly the name Camino Viejo should refer.

I am rooting for the route pamplona - salvatierra/aguirain (at least) to be named camino viejo - based on roman and medieval finds and the travel journey by abbot gundisalvo in 902. it would be exciting if this could be extended to aguilar along the abbot gundisalvo's route (Salvatierra, Alegría, Armentía, Trespuentes, Puentelarra, Tobalina, Frías, Oña, Sedano, Amaya, Nogales, Mave, Aguilar) which is different then GR 99 ruta del ebro, but then there would be two options!

attached is a quick sketch of how I see the connections.WP_20180611_13_05_29_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• Camino description OLVIDADO public.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@peregrina2000, I walked from Pamplona to Miranda de Ebro, then cut inland to follow roughly the GR route Caminka took to reach Aguilar de Campoo. It is definitely the Camino Olvidado after this junction, but I have no real idea what to call the pre-Aguilar section (though some is part of the Camino Interior/Via Bayonne/ Tunnel Route). I recall there was a discussion of nomenclature on a previous blog, but it didn’t really clarify the confusion about what to call the route out of Pamplona + to what exactly the name Camino Viejo should refer.
Is it possible to change the title of this post to better reflect is final content? It would help future browsers of this section.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
attached is a quick sketch of how I see the connections.
wp_20180611_13_05_29_pro-jpg.43528
the travel journey by abbot gundisalvo in 902.
Thanks to James and @caminka for all this information for those of us who are coming along behind.
It is obviously a very old way to Santiago, which only whets my appetite to walk it.

I have changed the name and made it a sticky. This is a great thread.
Hear, hear!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WOW WOW WOW! I love this forum!

I have the very early beginnings of an idea for 2020... My husband wants to try a walk in France for two weeks and I have another friend who'd like to walk the Aragones so I was thinking I could marry the two together and walk the Arles and the Aragones. And of course, I then thought that it's been a few years since I had a long long walk so perhaps I could continue on the CF and at Ponferrada meet up again with my husband for the Invierno. It sounded perfect except... I didn't really want to walk the CF again. (not for any other reason then I want to explore new paths).

On my way to the shops today I thought... mmm... there must be a route that can take me from Pamplona to Ponferrada... and there is! Now... am I brave enough to try this alone?

What a great thread... I will enjoy reading this in detail tomorrow.

Happy New Year Pilgrims 🚶‍♀️

I've had this thread bookmarked for ages.
One day...
Hoping you do this @LesBrass ! It looks wonderful.

I hope so too... a number of hurdles to cross yet... time being the number one! and then a small matter of my bravery ☺ :oops: but if I can overcome those two issues then... well... a girl can dream :cool:

Greetings for the new year pilgrim xx

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there Pilgrim... are you planning docs still available please :)
Sorry, but they have all been deleted now. The best info for the Olvidado is from enders app. A web version is here -https://caminoolvidado.com/?eng. In addition there is adp/hotel info here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/camino-olvidado-recursos-pdf.35714/. There is some general info here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mino-olvidado-from-bilbao-may-2018-pdf.49193/. My blog is here https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The Olvidado is a great route, especially as you can add on the Invierno or San Salvador/Primitivo!

Sorry, but they have all been deleted now. The best info for the Olvidado is from enders app. A web version is here -https://caminoolvidado.com/?eng. In addition there is adp/hotel info here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/camino-olvidado-recursos-pdf.35714/. There is some general info here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...mino-olvidado-from-bilbao-may-2018-pdf.49193/. My blog is here https://mikesroaming.blogspot.com.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. The Olvidado is a great route, especially as you can add on the Invierno or San Salvador/Primitivo!

Hi Mike, if you hd only one to two weeks available, which part of the Olvidado would you walk?

Laurie? You have walked it at least twice!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well……. I went from Bilbao to Oviedo in 2 weeks….
I would not want to miss out the Puente-Almuhey to Cistierna stage as that was outstanding (see my blog link in a previous post for details) or the section from Bonar, Vegacervera to Poladura Via Buiza. So given that I guess you could start at Puente-Almuhey and do the rest of the Olvidado - I headed north on the San Salvador and then onto the Primitivo so I have no first hand knowledge of the lasrt part of the route.

Hi Mike, if you hd only one to two weeks available, which part of the Olvidado would you walk?

Laurie? You have walked it at least twice!

The written guide is also a good place to start planning, especially if you are less tech savvy like me.

Tell me about how many kms a day you are thinking and I’ll think more about it. My stages may be longer than what you want to do, and Mike’s are longer yet. More and more albergues mean that shorter stages are possible, but some of the new mountain stages might be too long. But the stages from Vegarienza to Fasgar to Igüeña, are also beautiful mountain stages and both under 20.

I would definitely start further south, the northern part has more asphalt. Very pretty too, though!

Thank you both, Mike and Laurie! I have not yet gone into serious planning; am thinking of the Olvidado for 2021. But I have been collecting links to info for some time and whenever "Olvidado" is mentioned anywhere lots of bells start ringing in my head and I dive straight into the thread for more info..

I thought of the section which Ender retraced(?) in the mountains to avoid asphalt and which, if I remember correctly, you were very enthousiastic about, Laurie. Your stages are certainly longer than mine will be. I do not think I can do much more than 20 km now and I am not getting any younger. I do not need albergues for accommodation, in fact I now prefer private accommodation.

I have just been into your Ender's guide, Laurie. It seems to me that there are plenty of villages along each stage. Question: is there accommodation in those villages such that I can make up my own stages as I go along or while planning. On the basis of about 20 km for two weeks where should I start?

You see, now you have got me into planning mode for next year as I still have not done the two caminos planned for this year!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you both, Mike and Laurie! I have not yet gone into serious planning; am thinking of the Olvidado for 2021. But I have been collecting links to info for some time and whenever "Olvidado" is mentioned anywhere lots of bells start ringing in my head and I dive straight into the thread for more info..

I thought of the section which Ender retraced(?) in the mountains to avoid asphalt and which, if I remember correctly, you were very enthousiastic about, Laurie. Your stages are certainly longer than mine will be. I do not think I can do much more than 20 km now and I am not getting any younger. I do not need albergues for accommodation, in fact I now prefer private accommodation.

I have just been into your Ender's guide, Laurie. It seems to me that there are plenty of villages along each stage. Question: is there accommodation in those villages such that I can make up my own stages as I go along or while planning. On the basis of about 20 km for two weeks where should I start?

You see, now you have got me into planning mode for next year as I still have not done the two caminos planned for this year!
I posted a link to accommodation here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/attachments/camino-olvidado-recursos-pdf.35714/

Super! Thank you!

I am now glued to the computer and into looking at the Olvidado details in my collection of links! Very exciting!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The olvidado is a fantastic route but do not expect to meet other perigrinos and doing 20km stages may be awkward to plan.

I have walked lonely caminos before and will possibly walk with one of my daughters. On the Torres I walked alone for two weeks. And if I can take my time I can do more than 20 km. With no other pilgrims about there should not be any problem finding a bed.

Still glued to the computer. Will have a closer look at your phantastic accommodation list!

Hola, soy Ender.
De momento no esta señalizado el camino Olvidado desde Pamplona y no tengo pensado señalizarlo.
Si lo esta desde Bilbao.
Hace 2 semanas terminé la señalización por Burgos.
El año pasado termine la señalización de toda la parte de León con sus variantes.
Puedo dejaros una pequeña guía que estoy elaborando pero que aún no esta finalizada.
Seguro que os a servir para hacer este precioso camino.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WOYKMhxISI9TOBUhuJAhS4uWTob7N161

Esto es de la parte Leonesa.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Tgoqwis3kTsT-nsB-75qVqieu5lfzkx4

Desde Boñar hay dos variantes una por el valle que nos lleva a La Robla y otra por la montaña que pasa por Vegacervera, el bosque del faedo, los calderones en piedrasechas, lugares especialmente bonitos.
Recomiendo encarecidamente la variante de Vegacervera.
Un saludo a todos y buen camino
Hola Ender, Muchas gracias por tu trabajo en el Camino. SERIA POSIBLE RECORRER EL OLVIDADO A PPARTIR DEL q de Julio?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back