• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shell for backpack

vwzoo

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked the Camino Francis in 2018 and I got a shell for my backpack in St Jean Pied de Porte at the Pilgrim office. My sister and I are walking the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol on March 13th. Is there a place in Ferrol to get a shell to hang on our backpacks? Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I waited until l finished my Camino before I got my shell. I figured there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that I was a pilgrim and not a tourist, so I didn't need one to identify myself. And I waited until I finished because I needed to feel that I had earned it - you know, the legend that a pilgrim would get a shell when they finally arrived at the end of the earth to prove they had walked the whole way. . . and then start walking back home again!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I waited until l finished my Camino before I got my shell. I figured there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that I was a pilgrim and not a tourist, so I didn't need one to identify myself. And I waited until I finished because I needed to feel that I had earned it - you know, the legend that a pilgrim would get a shell when they finally arrived at the end of the earth to prove they had walked the whole way. . . and then start walking back home again!

I certainly understand that. When I got off the train in St Jean and went to the office that gave me information on the Camino, lists of albergues etc there was a big basket of the shells you could pick one out and leave a donation. I had never done this and so I thought that's how it's done. Everyone leaving St Jean from what I saw had shells as well. Some like the natural one I got at the office and some white with the red St James symbol on it. I still have mine, but my sister this is her first time and I wondered if Ferrol was St. Jean was there a place should get one.

I walked the Camino Francis in 2018 and I got a shell for my backpack in St Jean Pied de Porte at the Pilgrim office. My sister and I are walking the Camino Ingles starting in Ferrol on March 13th. Is there a place in Ferrol to get a shell to hang on our backpacks? Thanks
In 2018 there were many shells left out for pilgrims to take away with them at the Monesterio St Martino de Couto in Ferrol, which is about 5 miles into the first days walk and right by the Camino path.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am leaving for my first Camino this March-April. Prior to that I will be attending my local chapter's Shell Ceremony. "At the ceremony new pilgrims will be presented with a scallop shell to wear on their backpack, identifying them to all they meet as fellow pilgrims. "

Peace,
SSTW

I bought a shell in Burgos on my first Camino in Sept 2016, but managed to break it almost as soon as I attached it to my backpack. I left the shard hanging from the red string all the way to Santiago. I bought another in Finisterre that made it safely home. I now have a non-breakable shell patch on my backpack.

I am leaving for my first Camino this March-April. Prior to that I will be attending my local chapter's Shell Ceremony. "At the ceremony new pilgrims will be presented with a scallop shell to wear on their backpack, identifying them to all they meet as fellow pilgrims. "

Peace,
SSTW
SSTW what is your local chapter?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SSTW what is your local chapter?
Here's the list of local chapters of American Pilgrims on the Camino. It looks like the Southern California (I know, a very huge area) would be closest to you.

Here's the list of local chapters of American Pilgrims on the Camino. It looks like the Southern California (I know, a very huge area) would be closest to you.

Yes it is. We are starting spin off chapters because the LA chapter has become large in both members and area. I asked wondering if that might be your chapter.

When I was in Ferrol to begin my CI in June, I got my stamp at the Con-Cathedral (door to office on the right behind the alter), I noticed that they had both credentials and a couple shells for a donation. I can’t say if they always have them though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Peace,
SSTW
I can understand that. A shell is the most logical thing to present to a person as they "graduate" to pilgrim. Nevertheless, I will stick to my personal tradition to wait until I have finished and have earned it (in my own mind). No one will mistake you for anything other than a pilgrim, with or without a shell, trust me.

Last edited:
I got my first shell at Finisterre. I had stopped at a seafood cafe to get lunch. The waitress saw me and offered me a couple of the shells they were discarding from their food prep. Large, clean, no hole conveniently punched in the top for hanging, no symbol printed on them, a plain ol' shell from the ocean. I treasure them to this day. As I have written earlier in this thread, I wait until I have finished my Camino to pick up my shell - the legend, the idea of earning it, etc.

Last edited:
Easiest way to get one: Order one in a restaurant/tapas bar, eat it and keep shell ;-)
BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery

When I walked from Ferris in May 2019 there were maybe two souvenir shops selling overpriced (€5) shells. I'd heard on a podcast there was a self-service shell stand that operates on a donativo basis some kilometers outside of Ferrol.

Sure enough, an hour or two outside town we came across a display of shells on cords hanging off a signboard above a locked cash box. No suggested donation posted, give what you want. Two styles on offer: traditional plain shell with Cross of St. James and a secular shell painted blue with a yellow arrow. Both were on a silk cord.

I left a few Euros in the box, chose the shell I liked best, tied it to my backpack and continued down the path.

I believe I saw at least one (maybe two) more stands like this along the Ingles.
Another lovely thing we saw were the impromptu refreshment stations set up by locals in strategic locations, offering a few chairs or a bench, some juice, cookies, a trash can, and even a guest book, with a secure cash box mounted nearby. Prices not posted, give what you can or think is fair.

Nice way to support the locals who are providing anonymous comfort to pilgrims on a Camino whose infrastructure is still developing or lacking in some areas.

When I walked from Ferris in May 2019 there were maybe two souvenir shops selling overpriced (€5) shells. I'd heard on a podcast there was a self-service shell stand that operates on a donativo basis some kilometers outside of Ferrol.

Sure enough, an hour or two outside town we came across a display of shells on cords hanging off a signboard above a locked cash box. No suggested donation posted, give what you want. Two styles on offer: traditional plain shell with Cross of St. James and a secular shell painted blue with a yellow arrow. Both were on a silk cord.

I left a few Euros in the box, chose the shell I liked best, tied it to my backpack and continued down the path.

I believe I saw at least one (maybe two) more stands like this along the Ingles.
Another lovely thing we saw were the impromptu refreshment stations set up by locals in strategic locations, offering a few chairs or a bench, some juice, cookies, a trash can, and even a guest book, with a secure cash box mounted nearby. Prices not posted, give what you can or think is fair.

Nice way to support the locals who are providing anonymous comfort to pilgrims on a Camino whose infrastructure is still developing or lacking in some areas.
Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back