• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shells and stones

Cicada

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances St Jean -Santiago April -June 2017
My wife and I walked the Frances from SJPDP last April /May and loved it!
So we decided to walk again in September this time the Portugues central route from Porto.
I am wondering is there somewhere to purchase our camino shell in Porto?
Also we both loved the idea of carrying a small stone to leave with all the others at Cruz de Ferro especially as my wife's mother had passed away the year before.We wil both carry one with us this time and leave them at an appropriate spot. I'm sure there wll be many.Any suggestions?
It's our Ruby wedding anniversary in September so this is a special camino for us!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not visit a fishmonger and buy some scallops, eat them, and then use the shells? It is what I do when I take a shell from home.

I do not carry shells, but my Portuguese Camino last year i carried a little rock for a friend. I left it at Cruz dos Franceses, a cross a bit before Alto da portela Grande, on the way to São Roque.

So glad I did, because that uphill was the roughest and toughest I've seen on both my Caminos (truth told, i did not cross the Pyrenees. But man, that Alto was HARD). So I felt like I left her rock behind and then, right after, got rid of any fear, sweat and doubt I had in my own body along that uphill.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not visit a fishmonger and buy some scallops, eat them, and then use the shells? It is what I do when I take a shell from home.
Could be a visit to Sydney fish market kill two birds with one stone pun intended!

I do not carry shells, but my Portuguese Camino last year i carried a little rock for a friend. I left it at Cruz dos Franceses, a cross a bit before Alto da portela Grande, on the way to São Roque.

So glad I did, because that uphill was the roughest and toughest I've seen on both my Caminos (truth told, i did not cross the Pyrenees. But man, that Alto was HARD). So I felt like I left her rock behind and then, right after, got rid of any fear, sweat and doubt I had in my own body along that uphill.
Thanks for that! Just checked in the "Brierley Bible " yes it looks steep alright we were hoping for something a little less hilly this time around!

we were hoping for something a little less hilly this time around!

Truth be said, that hill was awful. But it was the only "bad" part of the trail, the rest was pretty tranquil all the way to Santiago :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am wondering is there somewhere to purchase our camino shell in Porto?
Hi, I saw shells for sale in a gift shop near the Torre dos Clerigos in Porto.
Jill

Could be a visit to Sydney fish market kill two birds with one stone pun intended!
Not necessary, really... take Grape seeds with you instead!
Historically, Jacquez grape seeds were preferred as opposed to leaving stones behind along the Camino wayside. Pilgrims believed they would be granted a wish...
Please see my "Camino" article which links this ritual down the centuries at the following URL address:
https://www.news24.com/MyNews24/a-l...grapevine-and-the-camino-de-santiago-20180620
Go well... ;-)
Jerry_R

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back