• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Shelter-In-Place Activities: What are you doing?

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 67185

I have been baking bread. . . lots of bread. Racks of bread. Sourdough, pain de mie, French, baguette, rolls, . . . So far, 233 pounds of various flours have been used in these past 9 days.

Right now, we have friends and neighbors that are getting these loaves and rounds. Some of these folks are not able to get to the grocers due to medical issues, so Jill or I will drop off the bread at their doorsteps, and then knock on the door and stand off in the yard. It lets us also keep a check on how these folks are doing.

They can tell us then if they are in need of anything. It, I think, helps to lift their spirits and assures that they are not forgotten. However, I do draw the line at singing or other entertainments for their amusements. . . that's the job of TV. :)

It's been a good diversion and it gives some purpose to the down time. I'm just glad baking bread is the hobby, and not chocolate making. :)

Also, for those who are of a mind, please keep my wife, Jill, in your prayers. Jill is a charge nurse on the Pediatric Unit of our area's regional hospital. While there has been, to date, minimal pediatric infections or illness activity at the hospital, that is very likely to change.

There are quite a few COVID-19 ill patients on the general medical care Units. All nurses will lend a hand if their own Unit responsibilities allow the time to do so. Most of the time, that has been with Jill taking over for a Medical Unit nurse so the nurse can take a lunch break. Then it is back to Pediatrics.

The concern isn't just for Jill's safety, but also for those children who are in the hospital for medical needs other than COVID-19. Jill's greatest fear is that she may inadvertently expose a child under her care. While there is no shortage of protective gear or garments, the potential for accidental cross contamination is a monumental concern for all the hospital staff.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dave, how did you acquire 233 pounds of flour in these times where it seems only "two" of most items are allowed to be purchased? 😲
Your neighbors are very blessed to live near you! If they didn't know it before, there is no doubt now.🍞
Such a very stressful time for all the healthcare workers around the globe and you have first hand knowledge of it. 🙏

Dave, how did you acquire 233 pounds of flour in these times where it seems only "two" of most items are allowed to be purchased? 😲
Your neighbors are very blessed to live near you! If they didn't know it before, there is no doubt now.🍞
Such a very stressful time for all the healthcare workers around the globe and you have first hand knowledge of it. 🙏

I do a lot of bread baking in "normal times", and even get consignment orders from word of mouth. . . those I limit because I do not want a 'real' business. Plus, too much work for pay turns a fun hobby into job.

Some of the stuff I bake will go to one of the local homeless shelters. . .others to the church. It is a good way to spend the early morning hours when I do not have to deal with a consulting clientele.

I normally bulk order my flour from King Arthur in commercial quantities about every 5 to 6 months. I have 6 x 50 pound bins for flour storage in our pantry storage area. Plus several bins that each hold 15 pounds in the kitchen area. I try to keep 350 pounds of inventory on hand.

[I won't mention the used, double-stack Blodgett oven I use in the garage, that I scored from a bakery going out of business :). Best $650.00 I ever spent, and it is a wonderful baking oven that has a pretty small footprint. It also is a luxury when it comes to those periodic, jumbo holiday and clan meal feasts and get-togethers, when the kitchen oven would be screaming for mercy.] What I wish I had was a 20 quart Hobart mixer. . . nothing huge, but more capacious and capable than what I'm using now. :)

And since I do the cooking, I get to be my introverted self and have an excuse to be absent from the extended and crowded family dynamic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have lots of flour, but cannot make bread, as my yeast is outdated and no yeast has been available in Calgary since the beginning of the "stay at home" advisory. I could attempt soda bread, but I experimented, with a recipe from @kirkie , and various ingredients were not available here. It turned out very wet. However, I have several loaves of bread in my freezer and am currently having no problems shopping weekly. It seems that my next effort as bread-making will have to wait until after the pandemic is over and yeast is again, hopefully, available here.

@Albertagirl I and a few friends have made bread starter (natural yeast starter for sour dough). It's pretty easy, and comes along quite fast if you include some natural yoghurt. Plus it is fun to feed! Look up on the internet, there are various recipes. If you don't have yoghurt, the plain flour and water works fine, it just takes a few days more to be ready. Once you have the "mother" you keep feeding it and using bits of it. I have one friend who has been making bread for years using the same "mother". If you get sick of feeding it, put the mother in the freezer and it is good to go if you get the urge again.

I have lots of flour, but cannot make bread, as my yeast is outdated and no yeast has been available in Calgary since the beginning of the "stay at home" advisory. I could attempt soda bread, but I experimented, with a recipe from @kirkie , and various ingredients were not available here. It turned out very wet. However, I have several loaves of bread in my freezer and am currently having no problems shopping weekly. It seems that my next effort as bread-making will have to wait until after the pandemic is over and yeast is again, hopefully, available here.

This is what @Delphinoula posted on the question of old yeast. You could try it. Sorry your attempt at the recipe I gave a soggy result... my last teabrack was the same, We are eating it from the outside in!
Apr 3, 2020
If you have no yeast there is way to make it yourself. I will try it out and then report. Old dry yeast make a pre dough first to with sugar and warm water and a bit of flower to see if it’s starting to bubble.
Anybody tried pan fried bread?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I do a lot of bread baking in "normal times", and even get consignment orders from word of mouth. . . those I limit because I do not want a 'real' business. Plus, too much work for pay turns a fun hobby into job.

Some of the stuff I bake will go to one of the local homeless shelters. . .others to the church. It is a good way to spend the early morning hours when I do not have to deal with a consulting clientele.

I normally bulk order my flour from King Arthur in commercial quantities about every 5 to 6 months. I have 6 x 50 pound bins for flour storage in our pantry storage area. Plus several bins that each hold 15 pounds in the kitchen area. I try to keep 350 pounds of inventory on hand.

[I won't mention the used, double-stack Blodgett oven I use in the garage, that I scored from a bakery going out of business :). Best $650.00 I ever spent, and it is a wonderful baking oven that has a pretty small footprint. It also is a luxury when it comes to those periodic, jumbo holiday and clan meal feasts and get-togethers, when the kitchen oven would be screaming for mercy.] What I wish I had was a 20 quart Hobart mixer. . . nothing huge, but more capacious and capable than what I'm using now. :)

And since I do the cooking, I get to be my introverted self and have an excuse to be absent from the extended and crowded family dynamic.
Awww, thank you, Dave, for your interesting and detailed answer. All I can say is WOW!
I have a bread machine that I ocassionally use and do love it...no muss, no fuss. I make some specialty breads, such as oatmeal cranberry walnut, cinnamin raison, and plain rye, too. I purchased the breadmaker at a charity shop for $7 five years ago and it's been fun experimenting; unfortunately it would never suit your needs! 😊

So what mixer do you have @davebugg ? ;-)
We’ve just used up 30kg of flour in two weeks - that almost sounds modest in comparison to your output! Right now I have some sentimental bread rising - it’s the recipe I got from a lady in Mongolia. Our family lived in their yurt with their family (five adults, 12 kids in a tent with a diameter of 5 meters!!! And a stove in the middle of it) for a few days and we made this bread every evening. Today I added rosemary from the garden, olives and walnuts to it- who knows if that’s a combo that will work or not!

To answer your question, we’ve been baking lots, I finished crocheting a blanket and am now knitting socks, lots of reading, plus we are lucky to be able to walk outside. I’ve been homeschooling kids too even though schools have just had their two week break - my kids joined in solidarity with older siblings and dad who are working from home.
I have been spending much more time cooking because kids who are working out of the house still have been taken off the cooking roster so they can self-isolate better. Cooking is not my favourite. I would prefer to read, write, walk or make stuff that lasts longer!

So what mixer do you have @davebugg ? ;-)
We’ve just used up 30kg of flour in two weeks - that almost sounds modest in comparison to your output! Right now I have some sentimental bread rising - it’s the recipe I got from a lady in Mongolia. Our family lived in their yurt with their family (five adults, 12 kids in a tent with a diameter of 5 meters!!! And a stove in the middle of it) for a few days and we made this bread every evening. Today I added rosemary from the garden, olives and walnuts to it- who knows if that’s a combo that will work or not!

To answer your question, we’ve been baking lots, I finished crocheting a blanket and am now knitting socks, lots of reading, plus we are lucky to be able to walk outside. I’ve been homeschooling kids too even though schools have just had their two week break - my kids joined in solidarity with older siblings and dad who are working from home.
I have been spending much more time cooking because kids who are working out of the house still have been taken off the cooking roster so they can self-isolate better. Cooking is not my favourite. I would prefer to read, write, walk or make stuff that lasts longer!

In normal times, I don't use as much as I'm going through right now, that's for sure :) I am using an 8 quart Kitchenaid (which gets bogged down if I go anywhere near that capacity of dough) and an Ankarsrum.

It sounds like with the kids and homeschooling things are busy, especially with the need to keep minds and bodies active :)

So impressed with ‘all’ of you bakers.
I checked the kg packet of flour in my pantry and it is waaaaaay out of date.
I’m not drawn to baking but love the smell... mmmm - and eating it.
My ‘shelter-in-place’ activity is mainly pottering in the garden.. pruning or weeding (no thinking involved) and catching the sun at the same time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good excuse! However, I made some delicious sourdough bread this week with flour that was "Best before October 2012." Is it obvious that I don't normally bake very much?
That makes me feel so much better Clare. (Mine is 2018!!!).
Did your sourdough taste ok?? Talking to my sister in law this morning she said: If it hasn’t got weevils it should be ok. ???
What do you think @davebugg

Maybe I’ll give it a whirl. I can only poison myself as I’m on my own here !!

Since I don't bake and cannot figure out a graceful way to segue into what I'm doing, I'll wait for another time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We threw a lot of garbage and old unnecessary things out of the house. We collected old good toys and books, CDs, then to give them to the orphanage (shelter).
I also like to bake bread. With flour and trembling no problem. And pies with apples from puff pastry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That makes me feel so much better Clare. (Mine is 2018!!!).
Did your sourdough taste ok?? Talking to my sister in law this morning she said: If it hasn’t got weevils it should be ok. ???
What do you think @davebugg

Maybe I’ll give it a whirl. I can only poison myself as I’m on my own here !!

Whole wheat flour can be a problem as the oils in the bran can go rancid. Unbleached or bleached white flours are generally much more shelf stable past the 'best buy' date. If the raw flour doesn't taste 'off', it should be fine.

We've been in total lockdown since 25th March, but I was working from home for over a week before that, so it feels like quite a while. two humans, two dogs and a cat.
My neighbour below us is a nurse, she lives by herself and we have conversations through her kitchen window with me on the footpath. The neighbours above us moved out the weekend before lockdown, so that house is empty. They used to have a small dog, and my dogs still check their garden daily with hope.
In the house behind and below us, is a police dog handler with a young dog in training, - they run up and down their driveway, and one of my dogs watches eagerly for them to go past through a gap in the hedge. She is desperate to meet their dog, but she will have to wait for that. She looks at me as though I am completely unreasonable, she doesn't understand the concept of social distancing one bit.
Ive been reading, luckily I always have plenty of unread books around. And knitting and crocheting - I've finished one cardigan for myself, a hat for a friends daughter, a back of a sweater, almost a second jacket for me, and a crocheted scarf that is only one row from being done. That is only a bit more than normal as I'm a fast knitter anyway. I have another hat to make for the friends other daughter, and another scarf so I'll have to see what yarn stash I have as I cant buy any. Plus I dont have buttons for the two cardigans I've made. I've had the overwhelming urge to knit things in yellow - I think because its bright and cheerful, and to me is the colour of hope - I never normally knit in yellow.
Plus I've been baking, now that I have been able to get gluten free flour again. I've always loved baking, but when my husband was diagnosed coeliac, I literally had to learn how to bake again. It took me quite a while to be able to make gluten free alternatives for all his favorites, there were a few failed science experiments long the way - donated to the ducks in our local park. Now people cant tell the difference. I managed to get 3 x 8kg bags, plus other baking ingredients so my baking options have increased. I caught my husband photographing the baking each day, he seems to be having a facebook food competition with a group of mates.
Trouble is with only two humans in our lock down bubble, there is more eating than normal - much more.
I am still working from home as well, but without a commute I get to sleep in a bit, and still walk my dog before our first Zoom meeting. Everyone is pretty casual, sweatshirts and tees, and caps.
I haven't yet succumbed to wearing pyjamas yet, but I believe others have. I probably would have if I didnt walk the dog first. With Zoom and Skype you can only see tops.
Every video meeting has some kids yelling and some dogs barking in the background. We all now know each others kids spouses and pets.

Last edited:
A very minor baker here. I do bake often, but just enough for our own consumption. I bake only sourdough bread, but this week I baked both sourdough and yeast hot cross buns (only ever on Good Friday).
I'll try to attach photos....20200409_101041.jpg20200409_101041.jpg20181120_072054.jpg

Attachments

• 20200410_113332.jpg
    20200410_113332.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dave, I will definitely keep Jill in my prayers. I'm also a nurse (supposed to be retired, but got talked into working again) and I'm calling my place of work a Fortress of Safety for many reasons. I work with the elderly and we want to keep everyone safe. Stay healthy!

I have been baking bread. . . lots of bread. Racks of bread. Sourdough, pain de mie, French, baguette, rolls, . . . So far, 233 pounds of various flours have been used in these past 9 days.

Right now, we have friends and neighbors that are getting these loaves and rounds. Some of these folks are not able to get to the grocers due to medical issues, so Jill or I will drop off the bread at their doorsteps, and then knock on the door and stand off in the yard. It lets us also keep a check on how these folks are doing.

They can tell us then if they are in need of anything. It, I think, helps to lift their spirits and assures that they are not forgotten. However, I do draw the line at singing or other entertainments for their amusements. . . that's the job of TV. :)

It's been a good diversion and it gives some purpose to the down time. I'm just glad baking bread is the hobby, and not chocolate making. :)

Also, for those who are of a mind, please keep my wife, Jill, in your prayers. Jill is a charge nurse on the Pediatric Unit of our area's regional hospital. While there has been, to date, minimal pediatric infections or illness activity at the hospital, that is very likely to change.

There are quite a few COVID-19 ill patients on the general medical care Units. All nurses will lend a hand if their own Unit responsibilities allow the time to do so. Most of the time, that has been with Jill taking over for a Medical Unit nurse so the nurse can take a lunch break. Then it is back to Pediatrics.

The concern isn't just for Jill's safety, but also for those children who are in the hospital for medical needs other than COVID-19. Jill's greatest fear is that she may inadvertently expose a child under her care. While there is no shortage of protective gear or garments, the potential for accidental cross contamination is a monumental concern for all the hospital staff.

Love and safety to you and Jill!

Good excuse! However, I made some delicious sourdough bread this week with flour that was "Best before October 2012." Is it obvious that I don't normally bake very much?
@C clearly
My yeast is dated March 29, 2012. I have begun making bread today (on its first rising) so I shall know later if it makes good bread, at least, whether I can make good bread, after a few years away from it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I've also been baking a lot! My partner and i started a vegan pizza blog at the beginning of the year. https://52veganpizzas.food.blog/

We are running out of flour. I have enough for one more pizza. I have loads of oat flour, brown rice flour, and some green banana flour, which I've never used before. That's what i could find online. My partner paid an extraordinary $65 for 5 packages of instant yeast that have 3 packets per unit and a bottle of apple cider vinegar. !!!!! Everyone is suddenly baking!

I started two other blogs.... https://careduringcovid.wordpress.com/

I am not a sit around idle kind of person, so I am doing a lot each day, and also trying to make this a restful time spiritually and emotionally. I had hoped to go back to the Camino in May. Obviously, not this year. Instead I will put together my photos and memories from last year's journey and think strongly about walking next year, during the busy Jubilee year.

Much love to you all on this forum and I hope you are safe and well.

Attachments

• loaf of bread fresh from oven.jpg
    loaf of bread fresh from oven.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 4
I love fresh baked bread, but am way too lazy to do it myself :rolleyes:
Instead, while I'm locked in - for the most part, I'm cleaning up all my photos from Caminos I've walked. I tend to take way more photos than necessary in order to get the "perfect" shot (ha!). But I never go back to all those photos to clean them out - purge, get rid of the blurry ones and dupes. So I'm doing that now! And absolutely enjoying those Caminos again! From the 2014 walk, I started out with 2,627 photos, and after 4 days, I now have ONLY 1,683!! Now I need to do 2013, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017 x 2... and other non-Camino walks (Thames Path and Hadrian's Wall Path). 2020 will not have so many photos to work through, but I think it IS another Camino - just not what I'd planned... 😷

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reading, walking locally, spring cleaning, writing, baking...but trying not to too much cause I'll eat it all :)
This morning, making cloth masks for friends and family that are not health care workers but "front line" workers in grocery stores, pharmacies or any business still accessed by the public. A friend sent a very easy pattern and all that fabric I collect has become immediately useful!
235BE40F-B8E5-404B-A075-998A7F30FDAC.jpeg

Both of my adult children came home to our farm in rural Alberta, Canada. Our son graduated from university in December and is looking for work but it's obviously not a good time. So he is helping his dad a great deal with the farm work. It's amazing the energy he can bring to a project. Our daughter is in first year of law school, so her classes have been online since March 16. She will be writing exams starting next week. She feels really stressed, so I'm grateful she is here, where we can support her. I too am cooking a lot! It has taken a bit of adjustment to get used to cooking for 4 again. But I have also found time to organize and copy all my photos to an external hard drive, and to do some cleaning projects in our storage room. I walk our golden retriever twice a day and make sure I fit in weight training and yoga twice each per week. Not hard to do since I'm always at home! I haven't been baking much, although I love to bake, but I'm in training for a backpacking trip, so don't want the extra carbs and sugar. However, today I am making Pastel de Tres Leches, which I learned about on the Great Canadian Baking Show. It's more of a Mexican and Central American cake, not Spanish. But thought we would have a special treat for Easter Sunday. I am spending more time studying Spanish. I use Duolingo every day, but recently I started watching "Espanol con Juan" on YouTube. He's a great teacher (from Granada) and a lot of fun. I highly recommend his lessons. Happy Easter pilgrims! Feliz Pascua peregrinos. May you all be well! Buena salud para todos.

I'm currently living in a hotel with my husband, 17 year old, three dogs, and my teenager's pet snake. We just moved 1700 miles away and cannot yet access the land we purchased, on which we will build a small cabin. I am trying to keep busy by walking the dogs and catching up on some books. Admittedly I'm watching some TV as well, more out of curiosity than anything else, having not had cable in nearly twenty years.

I can hardly wait to have a stove again! We move back into our pop-up camper in a few days (we are staying in the hotel a little longer than planned, due to the risk of tornadoes tomorrow). We can get back to cooking once in the camper. I will start up some crochet projects too, since I left my yarn in the pop-up. All in good time!

Prayers for safety and health to all of you and loved ones!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love fresh baked bread, but am way too lazy to do it myself :rolleyes:
Instead, while I'm locked in - for the most part, I'm cleaning up all my photos from Caminos I've walked. I tend to take way more photos than necessary in order to get the "perfect" shot (ha!). But I never go back to all those photos to clean them out - purge, get rid of the blurry ones and dupes. So I'm doing that now! And absolutely enjoying those Caminos again! From the 2014 walk, I started out with 2,627 photos, and after 4 days, I now have ONLY 1,683!! Now I need to do 2013, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017 x 2... and other non-Camino walks (Thames Path and Hadrian's Wall Path). 2020 will not have so many photos to work through, but I think it IS another Camino - just not what I'd planned... 😷
I'm also going through my photos. It's nice to relive old memories.

I have searched to find this thread, as I knew it existed. A variety of things, that is what I have been doing. Since this was first posted, the over 70s club in Ireland has been allowed outside within a distance of 5km and I have been throughly enjoying the freedom of sailing along on my bike, choosing the paths less travelled. If it is windy, I walk.
This morning I finally took the road towards one of my favourite shops, just in time for opening, and was fortunate to be able to wave at one of my 'best friend' assistants. I quickly departed, saying - see you soon, as we will be allowed to go shopping from June 8th, all going well.
So, keeping myself up to speed with walking, cycling, cleaning, cooking, baking. Connecting with friends and family, near and far. Doing jigsaw puzzles, reading, listening to and watching classical music concerts.
Praying. I have a list of people and intentions, but my praying is more than petition. Petition is something I do respect, because people ask me, or I offer to pray for them. They think it is part of my job!
This morning, I am wondering: one of my sisters in another community has found her way to the other side. She has died. If some people prefer to say she has passed, so be it. The fact is, she died. She is the first of our community to die during this time, and I know it will be very hard for some of the older sisters not to be able to go to church and give her the farewell that is built in to our culture, and to cultures everywhere, of whatever tradition.
So, as I said: I am wondering.
And you? Are you wondering?
I almost forgot the reason why I searched for this thread. I found a lovely musical piece on the RTE News Now website. The title, and the little I read around it, tell me it has a history I know it would be wise to treat with a lot of respect, but the sound of it and the simple message at the end is a gift, and I cannot but share it with you all!

I'm not a baker, so I'm mostly just working on my comb-over :)
Still walking, trying for everyday about 5 - 9 km, depending on the route I take.
I figure all we can do at this point is to try and stay healthy, wait out the storm.
Best to all,
Eric

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have searched to find this thread, as I knew it existed. A variety of things, that is what I have been doing. Since this was first posted, the over 70s club in Ireland has been allowed outside within a distance of 5km and I have been throughly enjoying the freedom of sailing along on my bike, choosing the paths less travelled. If it is windy, I walk.
This morning I finally took the road towards one of my favourite shops, just in time for opening, and was fortunate to be able to wave at one of my 'best friend' assistants. I quickly departed, saying - see you soon, as we will be allowed to go shopping from June 8th, all going well.
So, keeping myself up to speed with walking, cycling, cleaning, cooking, baking. Connecting with friends and family, near and far. Doing jigsaw puzzles, reading, listening to and watching classical music concerts.
Praying. I have a list of people and intentions, but my praying is more than petition. Petition is something I do respect, because people ask me, or I offer to pray for them. They think it is part of my job!
This morning, I am wondering: one of my sisters in another community has found her way to the other side. She has died. If some people prefer to say she has passed, so be it. The fact is, she died. She is the first of our community to die during this time, and I know it will be very hard for some of the older sisters not to be able to go to church and give her the farewell that is built in to our culture, and to cultures everywhere, of whatever tradition.
I almost forgot the reason why I searched for this thread. I found a lovely musical piece on the RTE News Now website. The title, and the little I read around it, tell me it has a history I know it would be wise to treat with a lot of respect, but the sound of it and the simple message at the end is a gift, and I cannot but share it with you all!
Thank you for sharing, Kirkie. Your life is very full, even in this time of semi-isolation.
Mine, not so much as yours.
I do have a 5 day walk planned soon with my son, a small portion of the "Ice Age Trail" in Wisconsin. It will be camping and he will carry the tent and all our food. He's done that in his own hikes. I am hoping for good weather since we will be out in the "elements" 24/7. I will miss having a bed and a shower for sure!

I fear that I am not much of a baker, but my cornbread is well-thought-of and I have made it twice. As I live alone and am would eat the entire amount, I have held off on scones and bread. I normally prepare dishes which can serve for several meals, but that seems like a superfluous time-saver when I have plenty of time without my usual distractions of café-visiting, dining with friends, and hanging out at the local pool.

Clearing out of papers has been an interesting exercise, when I realize that I will likely never get around to my articles on the 1984 leadership race, the revision of refugee legislation, or a certain totally insane foundation grant I once administered. Still, I keep up letter-writing, producing at least one a day, and other idle hours are spent earth-googling various Caminos I've not tried yet. I had planned to walk out of Valencia on the Levante this year, likely ending up in Toledo or Avila before I would need to return, and have enjoyed earth-googling into dusty Castilian pueblos, wondering which cafés would be best for a vermouth, and taking notes on interesting retablos (generally one has to go into the Spanish-language pueblo website for the historic and artistic details). As well, looking at Hugh Thomas' encyclopedic work on the Civil War to take note of any fronts I might be passing through (Albacete on the Levante was once the HQ of the International Brigades). The 1911 Catholic Encyclopedia is good on local saints, and this is an area with a well-recorded history over the past two millennia. I have just begun looking for material on Roman rule and some time soon will start looking at where I might have hidden my copy of Benzion Netanyahu's book on the 15c Inquisition, as this was a part of Spain which once had a significant Jewish population.

One is allowed to walk, but not stop or gather, in the nearby parks, so I am managing an average of 6.2km a day so far this month, but must ratchet it up a bit, to make up for the lack of swimming.

@kirkie
Death in this time of COVID-19 is so hard, without being able to say goodbye, and to share that goodbye with your community. Thank God, we have experienced no deaths in my family, either from the virus or from other causes. But there is a bit of good news for me to be thankful for. A faithful member of my church community who has been waiting for a kidney transplant has had her surgery and is recovering at home.
Besides my daily prayers, I am occupying my time at present working on my Spanish, reading this forum, and avoiding outdoor exercise. This latter may seem odd, but walking when awaiting knee replacement surgery has left me in too much pain to sleep well. So I now spend an hour each day carefully doing yoga exercises with the help of my regular instructor on youtube, and once a week on Zoom. But I will take a walk today to celebrate the glorious weather and the celebration of Victoria Day, an odd hold-over from colonial times and the start of the gardening season in Calgary. This year I shall only have my faithful rhubarb patch outside my window and a herb planter in the window. The latter is very odd, as the herbs are just a single packet of mixed seeds, which came as part of a gift from a local seniors' centre. It apparently contains seed for Cilantro, which I cannot abide in even the tiniest quantities. I am considering walking over to a local gardening shop and buying individual seeds or plants to put in the planter. And things are slowly opening up in Calgary, safely, I hope. I shall have to look out for masses of walkers and shoppers today.
I am still looking forward to a solitary mountain walk late in the summer, hoping that there will be buses running by then to bring me home from Lake Louise.

It’s interesting to read all the different things people are doing especially making bread! I am an essential worker... child psychologist and I work at the local psychiatric hospital. It’s been hard on some kids not being in school not going outside... My life hasn’t changed much I work 4 10 hr shifts instead of 5 8 hr shifts to reduce exposure. Working in a mask is hard sometimes it scares the kids so we make a game of it! Washing my hands every 20 minutes and trying to not expose others is most important! In my time off I go shopping for a few elderly people too delicate to risk going out... This too shall pass!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I once bought it instead of parsley!! Big mistake!!

Yeah ... me too .... 🥺

I’ve also found it in a bag of salad leaves, produced by a local smallholder ....
As soon as I opened the bag, I smelt it .... 😮
My beloved had to eat the whole bag .... far away from me ... 😄😉

Last edited:
Yeah ... me too .... 🥺

I’ve also found it in a bag of salad leaves, produced by a local smallholder ....
As soon as I opened the bag, I smelt it .... 😮
My beloved had to eat the whole bag .... far away from me ... 😄😉
@chinacat
Instead of planting those seeds from the envelope, I went out this afternoon and purchased three containers of fresh herbs: rosemary, oregano, and basil, and lined up the containers in the herb planter. They are already grown enough to be harvested, in small quantities, for my cooking. There are ample chives in our garden to complement them. And no cilantro.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Albertagirl

Are they on your window sill? 🙂

I have a pot of chives which never fails to come back.
It’s been going for years and years .....

Likewise some Sorrel, though that’s only been around for about 7 years. Despite the voracious local slugs, it lives on ...

The rosemary, marjoram and french tarragon are in large tubs.

I grow both types of parsley every/year, and try to keep the previous year’s plants going for as long as I can, by cutting the flowering stems away ... I give up eventually!

And I buy just one pot of basil ... from which I cut the stems, to root them in water. Each stem provides a large plant ... I’ve been doing it for decades.

But ... I cannot keep a pot of Thyme beyond one season, no matter what I do with it ... 🙄

We also grow some herbs for ‘medicinal’ use ...

Hope you don’t have to wait too long for your knee op 🍀

@chinacat
I live in a co-op type apartment and we have raised garden boxes, which had been claimed by long-term residents before I moved in a dozen years ago. There is a very healthy growth of chives in one box, which is available to all residents and goes on producing lots of chives: I checked on it today. The variety and quality of herbs at the shop was, however, somewhat limited: a very healthy container of oregano, small quantity of basil, and thin sprig of rosemary were all that was available: no parsley. However, I may get some elsewhere in a few days. Everyone is going gardening crazy in Calgary right now. There was a very long line of persons waiting to get into the gardening centre this afternoon, all social distancing.

@davebugg The Bread making sounds wonderful!

Pat has taken to making bread at home. I love it. So many of our habits may change...

As for what I'm doing.... Thankfully I can work from home, so busier than ever trying to keep things afloat, as we need to support a lot of people.

Putting on weight though with all Pat's wonderful home cooking. We get everything delivered to home now.

Although we are not in total lock down in Australia, we are told to work from home if possible. We chose to virtually lock down anyway, as it seems the safer option. Our first time beyond our house and yard in 6 weeks, was last week, to go get the annual flu Vaccine at our Doctor's surgery. If felt weird. We were glad to get home :rolleyes:

€60,-
Yes, we are staying at home too, although the suburban streets around are quite full of life as families take their exercise walking and bike riding. We are lucky enough to have some grandchildren living close, and they stop outside out house quite regularly and talk to us across the front garden.

Coriander (cilantro to some)! Wonderful stuff. How can one make a curry without it? But I do understand some people have a genetic predisposition and find it horrible, or are allergic to it. Sort of like whether or not one can curl one's tongue.

I've been working from home, with the telephone and televised virtual links. Getting better at using the technology and loving the "mute" button! I do have to be careful to ensure I've turned it on when shouting at other people....

Cooking is pleasurable, somehow not a chore when there is plenty of time. We are trying to stay healthy so I'm sticking to lots of vegetables and what my husband calls "proper meals". I have not been making cakes or bread. A hot loaf or fresh cake coming out of the oven? Bad idea when there are only two of us to eat it!

Yes, we are staying at home too, although the suburban streets around are quite full of life as families take their exercise walking and bike riding. We are lucky enough to have some grandchildren living close, and they stop outside out house quite regularly and talk to us across the front garden.

Coriander (cilantro to some)! Wonderful stuff. How can one make a curry without it? But I do understand some people have a genetic predisposition and find it horrible, or are allergic to it. Sort of like whether or not one can curl one's tongue.

I've been working from home, with the telephone and televised virtual links. Getting better at using the technology and loving the "mute" button! I do have to be careful to ensure I've turned it on when shouting at other people....

Cooking is pleasurable, somehow not a chore when there is plenty of time. We are trying to stay healthy so I'm sticking to lots of vegetables and what my husband calls "proper meals". I have not been making cakes or bread. A hot loaf or fresh cake coming out of the oven? Bad idea when there are only two of us to eat it!
I have not been making bread because there has been no yeast in my local grocery store for two months. They just cannot get any, as those who were not making it in the past have taken to it en masse. It is a worse shortage than toilet paper.

In relation to making bread: I am making brown bread rolls, no yeast required, and they come out of the freezer in great condition. Easier than slicing bread, although I do miss a salad sandwich!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In relation to making bread: I am making brown bread rolls, no yeast required, and they come out of the freezer in great condition. Easier than slicing bread, although I do miss a salad sandwich!

Recipe please :)

Recipe please :)
Will this work? If not I will find another way. I usually make bread rolls. I give 10 mins at 7 gas, and 20 minutes at 6. No need to be exact about seeds, i just use what I have.
ok, I am between devices at the moment and it won’t work, so I will type it out for you. If you search for traditional irish soda bread you will find a range, and just put a metaphorical pin in to the Options and off you go!
ingredients:
225g wholemeal/wholewheat flour
225g plain flour\
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda/bicarb
3 tablespoons mixed seeds
25g butter, softened
1 egg
about 375 to 400 ml buttermilk

Method

Oven on at 425/220/7

sift flours, salt and baking soda into large bowl. Add seeds. add butter, use fingers to mix it in to dry mixture. In a jug, beat your egg lightly and add the buttermilk. I would try plain milk if you don’t have buttermilk, but then I am no expert. Pour most of that into the flour mixture and draw it together with your hand, fingers splayed. , add more buttermilk mix as needed. Mix ought to be soft but not too sticky.
turn onto a floured worktop. Make into a roundish shape. Cut in two. Cit that in two, cut that in three. Use a muffin tray, and hand roll 12 rounds of the mixture. Cross each one, not to bless it but to allow the steam out in the baking! If it blesses it by the way, a bonus!

if you prefer a loaf, flattenout the whole ball a bit and give it a fairly deep cross cut, put it on a baking sheet. Give it 15 minutes at the top heat, then turn down to 400/200/6 for half an hour.

in either case, place one wire rack to cool.
Make a cup of tea and enjoy, with or without butter or any jam or marmalade.

€60,-
I would try plain milk if you don’t have buttermilk, but then I am no expert.
If you can't find buttermilk you can use diluted sour cream; if you have neither of these you can add a teaspoon of cream of tartar to the mixture to acidify the milk. As a last resort, try a few drops of vinegar - just enough to turn the milk without tainting it.

Will this work? If not I will find another way. I usually make bread rolls. I give 10 mins at 7 gas, and 20 minutes at 6. No need to be exact about seeds, i just use what I have.
ok, I am between devices at the moment and it won’t work, so I will type it out for you. If you search for traditional irish soda bread you will find a range, and just put a metaphorical pin in to the Options and off you go!
ingredients:
225g wholemeal/wholewheat flour
225g plain flour\
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda/bicarb
3 tablespoons mixed seeds
25g butter, softened
1 egg
about 375 to 400 ml buttermilk

Method

Oven on at 425/220/7

sift flours, salt and baking soda into large bowl. Add seeds. add butter, use fingers to mix it in to dry mixture. In a jug, beat your egg lightly and add the buttermilk. I would try plain milk if you don’t have buttermilk, but then I am no expert. Pour most of that into the flour mixture and draw it together with your hand, fingers splayed. , add more buttermilk mix as needed. Mix ought to be soft but not too sticky.
turn onto a floured worktop. Make into a roundish shape. Cut in two. Cit that in two, cut that in three. Use a muffin tray, and hand roll 12 rounds of the mixture. Cross each one, not to bless it but to allow the steam out in the baking! If it blesses it by the way, a bonus!

if you prefer a loaf, flattenout the whole ball a bit and give it a fairly deep cross cut, put it on a baking sheet. Give it 15 minutes at the top heat, then turn down to 400/200/6 for half an hour.

in either case, place one wire rack to cool.
Make a cup of tea and enjoy, with or without butter or any jam or marmalade.

Many Thanks. We'll have to try this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back