• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shifting from Garmin GPS to phone — step 1

At the risk of complicating things further, if you want to continue to use maps.me, you could take a look at the tracks listed by Centro de Descargas. Just Google “Centro de Descargas Camino de Santiago” and you should get the kml tracks for a whole list of caminos.

The tracks listed for the Levante may be the same ones you already have, or may be the ones you are looking for. I can not vouch for accuracy, but it appears to be an official website.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
At the risk of complicating things further, if you want to continue to use maps.me, you could take a look at the tracks listed by Centro de Descargas. Just Google “Centro de Descargas Camino de Santiago” and you should get the kml tracks for a whole list of caminos.

The tracks listed for the Levante may be the same ones you already have, or may be the ones you are looking for. I can not vouch for accuracy, but it appears to be an official website.

This?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe these are the same tracks as those posted on the Levante amigos site, so you can simply download them from their site instead of Wikiloc.
Thank you. I had looked for these tracks on that website previously, without locating them. Now that I have found them and loaded vieiragrino.com/en to my phone, and gone to the location with the tracks, how do I get them onto maps.me? There is a download button, but I have a number of map apps on my phone and do not wish to cause problems on these apps.

how do I get them onto maps.me?
As I understand it (which is no guarantee that it is entirely correct), you need to back up a bit.

When you say you have loaded vieiragrino.com/en to your phone, do you simply mean you have put some sort of bookmark or icon on your phone? (That is just a website; not an app. It is fine to have it conveniently on your phone screen, but it isn't necessary.)

What you will need to do, is download each of the 42 files on this page and put them in a folder on your computer. Then you will attach them to emails (they are small files so you can do 10 at a time) and send them to yourself. Then, you go to your phone and open the email, "save" all of the attachments however your phone suggests, and (fingers crossed) you will find them on maps.me.

BUT let's test this method first. Go to the amigos website and download track 9 (Albacete to La Roda) onto your computer. It is one of the tracks that has changed - now it goes on the south side of the Autovia. Attach it to an email and mail it to yourself, and save on your phone as I described in the paragraph above. Then go to maps.me and you should be able to see the new track because it is different from the other tracks that you already have from the other site. On my phone it is a nice yellow colour.

Try this and let me know!

Last edited:
When you say you have loaded vieiragrino.com/en to your phone, do you simply mean you have put some sort of bookmark or icon on your phone? (That is just a website; not an app. It is fine to have it conveniently on your phone screen, but it isn't necessary.)

Thanks for the nice directions! Using your links and info, I was able to do it in a slightly different way on an iPhone which I believe is what Albertagirl is using. I opened your link to the Association page in Safari on my phone, tapped download on the first track, tapped the down arrow at the top right of the screen, tapped zip, tapped the up arrow that appeared, tapped maps.me on the apps page that appeared, and maps.me opened with the track on it. I hope it works as well for Albertagirl.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I understand it (which is no guarantee that it is entirely correct), you need to back up a bit.

What you will need to do, is download each of the 42 files on this page and put them in a folder on your computer. Then you will attach them to emails (they are small files so you can do 10 at a time) and send them to yourself. Then, you go to your phone and open the email, "save" all of the attachments however your phone suggests, and (fingers crossed) you will find them on maps.me.

BUT let's test this method first. Go to the amigos website and download track 9 (Albacete to La Roda) onto your computer. It is one of the tracks that has changed - now it goes on the south side of the Autovia. Attach it to an email and mail it to yourself, as I described in the paragraph above. Then go to maps.me and you should be able to see the new track because it is different from the other tracks that you already have from the other site. On my phone it is a nice yellow colour.

Well, I tried. I got it attached to an email and sent it to myself, It is now in the email on my phone as an attachment, but I don't know what to do with it. It does not appear to have had any effect on maps.me. If I tap the attachment, it suggests that I can "Preview Content" I did so, and a lot of printing appeared, so I quickly returned to the previous page. It says "zip" and I don't know whether If I click on the page symbol something would happen, but I am hoping, so here goes. Nope, I went to the symbol for placing something in a location on my phone, and one option was maps.me, so I clicked on that, and now I have a new pretty yellow route from Albacete to La Roda. So I will attempt the rest of your suggested procedure above and see if I can gradually get all the new tracks downloaded.

BUT let's test this method first. Go to the amigos website and download track 9 (Albacete to La Roda) onto your computer. It is one of the tracks that has changed - now it goes on the south side of the Autovia. Attach it to an email and mail it to yourself, and save on your phone as I described in the paragraph above. Then go to maps.me and you should be able to see the new track because it is different from the other tracks that you already have from the other site. On my phone it is a nice yellow colour.

Thanks, it worked perfectly. I am so glad that the colour of the track is distinct. I just did track#9, so I shall go back tomorrow and start the lengthy procedure of transferring the other 41 tracks when I am better rested. It is lovely to have someone like yourself as a resource on the forum, with the technical know-how, who is willing to explain the procedures. Thanks again.

Thanks for the nice directions! Using your links and info, I was able to do it in a slightly different way on an iPhone which I believe is what Albertagirl is using. I opened your link to the Association page in Safari on my phone, tapped download on the first track, tapped the down arrow at the top right of the screen, tapped zip, tapped the up arrow that appeared, tapped maps.me on the apps page that appeared, and maps.me opened with the track on it. I hope it works as well for Albertagirl.
I can see that there is a way to use the download button on these tracks, which may be a little faster on an iphone than what I have already tried. Thank you for pointing this out and I shall try it tomorrow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The app Windy maps with offline maps is very good. Always use it in Sweden and in Spain on different caminos. :)

@peregrina2000
I have used the downloaded camino tracks on maps.me to walk my caminos for the last several years: VdlP, Madrid, Invierno, and I still have on my iphone all the other camino tracks downloaded from the Dutch pilgrims' resource on the forum. It was one action and was very easy to do. I shall certainly retain maps.me to have continuing access to these. They also do some updates, but, apparently, not for the Levante, as I downloaded available updates before I began planning this camino. I know from a post on the virtual Levante thread how to access the Levante tracks, and from the post immediately above yours how to download wikiloc tracks to my iphone. What I don't know yet, and it is too basic for users of wikiloc to recognize the question, is: 1. How do I get wikiloc on my windows computer? I am told to do various things on my computer, then transfer them to my iphone. But when I enter wikilocs on the computer, it asks me to download the app from Google Play or from the Apple Store, but as far as I know I have never used either to download to my computer and I don't know what to do next? 2. What map should I use for wikilocs? Do I need to download this map to both my computer and my iphone, or just to the phone and only use wikiloc on my computer to find the tracks and record their numbers for transfer to my phone? 3. In your opinion, as an experienced user of wikiloc, do I have to pay for a service in order to get adequate maps for camino use? I look forward to having access to wikiloc for future caminos, as I have noticed that some tracks recorded by yourself and others of side trails and less popular camino routes, seem to be only available on wikiloc. But I am a total technical idiot, always trying to catch up to what I need for camino access. Thanks for helping.
Was it the track of the Dutch Confraternity from the Levante which was not correct any more? Please tell me. If so, I will ask them to update it.

I want to clarify something I wrote earlier about Wikiloc and to correct an erroneous statement I made about it.

I tried very hard to watch my wording on my previous staements but in my use of the word download I may have confused people. You can download data and you can download files. I did mention that when you use the Wikiloc app to view a track the information/data is entered by the app into an internal database. You will not see a new file for the track placed on your smartphone that you can use with the maps.me app or other app. But I also said that you can use a browser to download a track. In that case I meant to say download a file containing the track information. In that case there will be a file placed into the filesystem (kml, kmz or gpx file depending on what you asked for). I should have been more specific as to whether you were downloading data or downloading a file.

Now for my correction(s).

Short story: You are not likely to be able to use a browser on your smartphone to download a file containing a track. Without a Wikiloc account the chances are nil, with a free account possibly (depending on your device and browser), with a premium account maybe you have a better chance.

Longer version: I used my Android's smartphone's Firefox browser to log into my free account at Wikiloc.com and I downloaded a file. I could see that the file was now in the phone's filesystem. After my last posting though I noticed that the file was empty, that is to say, there was exactly zero bytes of text, data or anything else in it. It was totally useless. I tried again with the same result. Thinking that this may be due to a browser bug I tried two other browsers on my phone, Chrome and Brave. I got a much different result for them but identical to each other (I believe they use modifications of the same source code). In these cases when I hit the "Download" button presented by the browser apps the Wikiloc app was invoked to show the track. This means that with these browsers you can only download the data of a track, not a file. Exploring further I noticed that in the Firefox settings there was a slider to choose whether an app should be called to handle links or not. I had this set to "no" but I changed it to "yes" and then Firefox behaved like Chrome and Brave, i.e., the "Download" button invoked the Wikiloc app. I did not see a setting in Chrome or Brave like the one in Firefox. So, possibly using other smartphone browsers you may be able to download a file but right now I cannot.

The empty file may be a bug caused by the Wikiloc server or by the Firefox browser or it could be that Wikiloc intends that only premium users can do useful file downloads and has handled this in a easy but user unfriendly way. Maybe Elaine may want to test this but I'm not upgrading my account right now (I did have a 3 month premium account last year just before and while on camino).

That brings up another thing. I'm pretty sure that I was able to download files with Wikiloc.com on my laptop's browser with a free account. Possibly though all my downloading was done while I was a premium member (but I think not all). Normally I would test this out now but my laptop is dead. I can only get to Wikiloc though my phone. Maybe I was wrong to say that you could use your computer and free Wikiloc account to download files (definitely can't without an account). Or maybe Wikiloc changed policy recently. Someone else will have to test.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Was it the track of the Dutch Confraternity from the Levante which was not correct any more? Please tell me. If so, I will ask them to update it.
@Thomas1962
I have always used the tracks from the Dutch Confraternity. Now I have been updating the Levante tracks from these tracks: http://vieiragrino.com/en/way-tracks/ found on the website info@vieiragrino.com of the Asociacion Amigos del Camino de Santiago Comunidad Valenciana. The work to update and mark the route and record the tracks was done by @JLWV a member of this forum. He recorded the tracks on Wikiloc, using the name JLW. You should consult with him for information about the tracks. I do not know how to remove the Dutch Confraternity tracks, without deleting all their other camino tracks, to which I wish to have continuing access. They are visible on my screen with @JLWV 's new Levante tracks and in various places the tracks for the Sureste which frequently cross those of the Levante. But I am just learning how to do this and can only refer you to @JLWV for information.

I do not know how to remove the Dutch Confraternity tracks, without deleting all their other camino tracks, to which I wish to have continuing access.
In the maps.me app:

Click the icon at the bottom with the two stars

In the new window click the word BOOKMARKS

Scroll to find the track you want to delete

On the right hand side click on the three vertical dots

In the popup click the trashcan/delete action

You can also use the three dot gizmo on the right of the track's name to temporarily hide a track or use the box to the left of the track to check/uncheck and do the same thing. Or use the HIDE ALL and then check the only ones you want to see. The hiding method is safer in case you are leery of deletions.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe Elaine may want to test this but I'm not upgrading my account right now (I did have a 3 month premium account last year just before and while on camino).

Thanks for explaining this, Rick. We experimented by setting up a free account on an unused phone and compared it to our paid account. We came up with the comparison below (but not knowing anywhere near as much as you about the internal workings of files and apps, our conclusions may be iffy! :))

With a free account, you can:
  • Search for trails.
  • Download tracks via a web browser (not the app) to your computer or phone and upload them to another app (such as maps.me or gaiagps.com) to open them.
  • Follow a saved track (but only through another app, not the Wikiloc app).
  • Record and Save your own trails.
  • Follow your own trails in the Wikiloc app (but not the trails of others).
  • Download Offline Maps
With a Premium account, you can also:
  • Save tracks made by others on your phone within the wikiloc app in one step using a slider.
  • Follow a saved track offline within the Wikiloc app.
  • Search by Passing Area (Find trails starting or passing through your selected areas.)
  • Download trails from the web using QR codes
  • Use Advanced Filters
  • Do Specific-member Trail Searches

Last edited:
In the maps.me app:

Click the icon at the bottom with the two stars

In the new window click the word BOOKMARKS

Scroll to find the track you want to delete

On the right hand side click on the three vertical dots

In the popup click the trashcan/delete action
I have tried looking at the bookmarks, as best I could find them, and am currently afraid of deleting anything. I have all sorts of information which I think appeared when I downloaded the camino tracks from the Dutch confraternity. One is Slaapplatzen, which I assume means accommodation along the routes. I am not sure whether, if I deleted the Bookmark for the Levante, all kinds of other information would go with the Levante tracks from the Dutch Confraternity. And I am not sure whether information for other routes might also be on the same file. I find the overlapping of tracks, in different colours, which I now have on my phone, somewhat challenging, but I would be kicking myself vigorously if I deleted material which I needed for my walk.

I would be kicking myself vigorously if I deleted material which I needed for my walk.
It occurred to me later that you might not want to delete any tracks so I wrote the post following my deletion post on how to hide a track. That should keep overlapping tracks such as a new one and older one from confusing you. See post #115.

Last edited:
how to hide a track. That should keep overlapping tracks such as a new one and older one from confusing you. See post #115.
Thank you. I shall try this when I have rested and think that I can switch my brain on adequately to attempt it. I would never have guessed that I could be too busy during a pandemic to have the time and energy for following instructions to get something necessary done. But this is so outside any of my education or past experience as to have totally intimidated me, when I consider the cost in sheer frustration of doing it wrong and having to try to fix the mess that I could leave myself with. I am going for a nap now and shall look at it again later. Perhaps, when this pandemic is over and I am on the trail again, I shall have aquired new technical skills. If not, I shall go back to looking for markings on trees and buildings and asking the locals. It will be wonderful fun either way.

@Thomas1962
I have always used the tracks from the Dutch Confraternity. Now I have been updating the Levante tracks from these tracks: http://vieiragrino.com/en/way-tracks/ found on the website info@vieiragrino.com of the Asociacion Amigos del Camino de Santiago Comunidad Valenciana. The work to update and mark the route and record the tracks was done by @JLWV a member of this forum. He recorded the tracks on Wikiloc, using the name JLW. You should consult with him for information about the tracks. I do not know how to remove the Dutch Confraternity tracks, without deleting all their other camino tracks, to which I wish to have continuing access. They are visible on my screen with @JLWV 's new Levante tracks and in various places the tracks for the Sureste which frequently cross those of the Levante. But I am just learning how to do this and can only refer you to @JLWV for information.
Okay, I have added these Camino de Levante tracks to my Google Map of Iberian Caminos: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1vf4iNGwIJhcsChA-pLk5uanLVshEB806&usp=sharing

Thank you. I shall try this when I have rested and think that I can switch my brain on adequately to attempt it.
I was about to write a test example for you but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I forgot about a zoom meeting coming up in a few minutes. In the meantime, get that list of tracks and choose one that you know has a track (or better, more than one) and some waypoints such as albergues. Give that a really quick tap. You should see the list of paths/tracks and bookmarks/waypoints within it. Use the left pointing arrow at the top left to go back.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is lovely to have someone like yourself as a resource on the forum, with the technical know-how
Just some full disclosure here, so you will not get the wrong impression. This relates to my frequent point that "techie" know-how is very fleeting and is more a matter of patience and persistence than much else. I have cleaned up my phone and re-installed maps.me, intending to send over all my files in an orderly way. I started with one test file. BUT, it is not showing up!!!!!!!!! I don't know what is wrong, but I expect that through trial and error, I will eventually get it working and will then understand it better. I am not upset because I know I have plenty of time before I will be traveling!

I was about to write a test example for you but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I forgot about a zoom meeting coming up in a few minutes. In the meantime, get that list of tracks and choose one that you know has a track (or better, more than one) and some waypoints such as albergues. Give that a really quick tap. You should see the list of paths/tracks and bookmarks/waypoints within it. Use the left pointing arrow at the top left to go back.
Thank you. I have tried this on Bookmark # 9, which is the track that showed me that my previous tracks were not adequate, because much of it goes in a completely different direction than the Dutch Confraternity track for the same area. I found this out by reading @JLWV 's description of the route out of Albacete and finding that the track which I had was going elsewhere. When I tapped on this bookmark, it showed me two items: TRACKS, labelled NewTrackEditing4 Length 41 km with a yellow mark beside it, which is the colour of the new track on my map, and BOOKMARKS with a white star circled in red and the label: "Albergue municipal en la enfermeria de la plaza de toros" which is, apparently, a new marking for the albergue, to be added to its location on the map. Since I know that this is the new track and the location of the albergue, this is obviously what I want to remain on the map and not to delete it. I have not yet found my way through the bookmarks for the Dutch Confraternity tracks and other bookmarks, which are not organized in the same way: more fun for later.

I have cleaned up my phone and re-installed maps.me, intending to send over all my files in an orderly way. I started with one test file. BUT, it is not showing up!!!!!!!!!
I think your problem can be cleaned up by having maps.me open up the file. If opened once then I think it will be available from then on (that is, the track/path and/or waypoints/bookmarks should show if you move to the area that they are in but not show if you indicate that it should be hidden).

I have about a dozen kml files on my phone that did not appear in the maps.me app. I used my file manager app to find one and indicated that I wanted it opened in maps.me. It showed up when I went to the area and then, after closing and then reopening maps.me it was still shown.

For my next experiment I emailed myself a kml file. I clicked on the attachment and indicated that I wanted maps.me to open it. The track appeared on the map and also appeared in the list of tracks shown with the two star icon. It continued to be there after an app close and reopen. I then searched for kml files on my phone and I saw the emailed kml file in the Download folder (I'm using Android). I deleted the file but maps.me still could show the track. That indicates to me that once maps.me opens a file the data remains in a database maintained by the app (like the Wikiloc app).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.