• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shikoku 88 Temple walk

jayree

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS 2012, CdN 2013, Shikoku 2015, CP 2016.
There is a recent short review by Megan Kitt that captures the pilgrimage experience, be it in Spain or Japan.

“There’s something about these long walks; they’re healing,” Ian Fraser tells me. He’s just finished the henro route in 47 days. “When you’re hiking alone, sometimes your worst enemy is yourself, and your mind. But in the end, you learn to remind yourself, ‘I’m basically a good person.’”

http://blog.gaijinpot.com/pilgrims-...197807881&mc_cid=b9959aca39&mc_eid=788def5284

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Jayree its really beautiful its part of my bucket list

zzotte

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There has just been an exhibition in my local museum of wood cuttings depicting the journey. I easily related to the scenes depicted. I found them very evocative of the spirit of the Camino journey.

I was 17 years old when I spent a summer on the island of Shikoku, long before the bridge was built to facilitate development. In my small village, many people had never seen a westerner, and I was a towering curiosity with my long blond hair.

I learned about openness and generosity during that time, and the travel bug infected my heart forever. I also learned about the Shikoku Henro (pilgrimage), since it passed near the village where I stayed. I thought about doing it, before deciding to do the Camino next year. Perhaps the Shikoku Henro will be next.

There's a very interesting book called Making Pilgrimages, Meaning and Practice in Shikoku by Ian Reader. He has extensive observations and discussion about walking the route versus the prevalent pilgrim bus tours. In other words: who's a true pilgrim? Not surprisingly, he was as impressed by the sincerity of some bus pilgrims as he was dismayed by the insincerity of some walking pilgrims. Sound familiar?

The author also makes numerous cross-references to studies made of the Camino pilgrimage. So, without realizing it the time I read the book, this was my first introduction to the Camino. No wonder it called to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm considering walking this sacred journey during spring 2017. Its been on my mind for the past 2 years. I've taken the position that I have to earn the privilege of walking this route. So very ancient. JohnnieWalker, I enjoyed reading your account when you returned and shared your experience with the rest of us. Raw eggs...nope, not such a good experience. Best of the season to everyone!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been on this walk twice now. I found it a tough but rewarding and lovely experience. I hope to return to do it "gyaku mawari" (go around in reverse order), as quite a few veteran walkers on this route do.

I'm considering walking this sacred journey during spring 2017.
My husband is starting to plan a 2017 (probably spring) Shikoku 88. He just received his two guide books and the trail map in the mail yesterday. He finishes up Offa's Dyke and a few minor trails in the UK in May. We're in south central WA state.

I was on this route exactly a year ago at this time. It was a wonderful experience, but not for the faint hearted in all sorts of ways. There is an account on my blog.
Could you please point me to the account on your blog? I couldn't find it. Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband is starting to plan a 2017 (probably spring) Shikoku 88. He just received his two guide books and the trail map in the mail yesterday. He finishes up Offa's Dyke and a few minor trails in the UK in May. We're in south central WA state.

Hi GreatDane

If you haven't already, it's worth reading Gideon Krauss' advice for the Shikoku walk from the perspective of a Camino walker. There's a full copy on this forum at this location: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/shikoku-88-temple-pilgrimage.11758/#post-79918

Also worth checking out the dedicated English-language forum for the Shikoku walk here: http://shikokuhenro.conforums.com/

Hi GreatDane. I'm going to try to look into possible contamination levels from the nuclear tsunami damage in the north. If I'm going to be there for a period of time I want to understand potential health risks. For clarity I'm not saying there are any, but I want to be as informed as possible before I commit. If I learn anything worth sharing I'll post it or message you. In the meantime I'm looking forward to walking again this year. Always a special privilege.
Very best.

Last edited:
Thanks emvb....will have a look at these.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back