• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shin Splint Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
On the First day of my Camino it seems like I overdid it. I had planned a slow first couple days but Albergue’s were closed, so I had to go farther.

My 17 km walk felt fine and everything seem to be going swimmingly. But unfortunately I woke up with a lot of pain in my shin, which I found out later was probably an anterior shin splint.

The next day I decided to just 7 Km hike to Puenta la Reina.

I was limping around and went into a pharmacy to ask for some advice. One of my fellow pilgrims at the Albergue was in there at the same time and had had someh training as a physical therapist and quickly diagnosed it as a anterior shin splint. She suggested I buy some Keno tape and she helped me tape it up. But she also said that it was quite serious condition, and the only way that it really goes away is to stop walking.

I decided to take now two rest days ,with the hope that it heals. As I write this I’m resting with an ice pack. And I follow that with message. Last night it was more swollen, but this morning after two treatments with ice pack and massage it seems to be slightly better. But it’s still quite painful when I move my foot.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m going to see how it feels tomorrow but it doesn’t seem to have improved enough yet to risk walking. I’m a little worried that I might have to take a substantial time off if I want this to heal.

I could try to do short hikes and ship my pack ahead. Or I could take a week off. A young Spaniard suggested Bilbao. Other suggestions for a rest week would be appreciated. Ahead on the Camino is also a possibility.

If it hasn’t gotten better by tomorrow morning, perhaps I should see a doctor? Or does anybody have suggestions for treatment?
Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the First day of my Camino it seems like I overdid it. I had planned a slow first couple days but Albergue’s were closed, so I had to go farther.

My 17 km walk felt fine and everything seem to be going swimmingly. But unfortunately I woke up with a lot of pain in my shin, which I found out later was probably an anterior shin splint.

I was limping around and went into a pharmacy to ask for some advice. One of my fellow pilgrims at the Albergue was in there at the same time and had had someh training as a physical therapist and quickly diagnosed it as a anterior shin splint. She suggested I buy some Keno tape and she helped me tape it up. But she also said that it was quite serious condition, and the only way that it really goes away is to stop walking.

I decided to take now two rest days ,with the hope that it heals. As I write this I’m resting with an ice pack. And I follow that with message. Last night it was more swollen, but this morning after two treatments with ice pack and massage it seems to be slightly better. But it’s still quite painful when I move my foot.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m going to see how it feels tomorrow but it doesn’t seem to have improved enough yet to risk walking. I’m a little worried that I might have to take a substantial time off if I want this to heal.

I could try to do short hikes and ship my pack ahead. Or I could take a week off. A young Spaniard suggested Bilbao. Other suggestions for a rest week would be appreciated. Ahead on the Camino is also a possibility.

If it hasn’t gotten better by tomorrow morning, perhaps I should see a doctor? Or does anybody have suggestions for treatment?
Thanks.
I tried the RICE method, slept with my foot elevated, tried ice, walked a few smaller days, until I realised that wearing a compression sock was doing the trick and was able to walk the rest of the way without problems. It made such a difference I was amazed. It was a super expensive one and I was happy that it paid its way.

You should seek medical advice just to be sure that you dont end up with damage that takes a long time to come right.

Stephan the Painter,
Sorry to read of your problem. What Anamiri wrote in the above post is good advice.

If you write Shin Splint in the blue Search box at the top left of this page you can read what others have done/written in such circumstances.

Are you in Puente la Reina now?
Tomorrow try to find a doctor for advice. For P la R Google lists a public health center at Calle San Pedro, 22,

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you are cleared by the physician, and choose to walk on, there is also KT tape, which is eleastic and easy to remove efter 4 days, very easy to apply by yourself:

I always bring a roll of it, if not for myself alone but also to apply on those who get a twisted ankle:

Stephan the Painter,
Sorry to read of your problem. What Anamiri wrote in the above post is good advice.

If you write Shin Splint in the blue Search box at the top left of this page you can read what others have done/written in such circumstances.

Are you in Puente la Reina now?
Tomorrow try to find a doctor for advice. For P la R Google lists a public health center at Calle San Pedro, 22,
Yes, I’m in Puenta LaReina right now. Even after two days of rest it doesn’t seem to really be changing much. So I will look for that doctor tomorrow morning, Unless it magically gets better. Thank you.

Last edited:
If you are cleared by the physician, and choose to walk on, there is also KT tape, which is eleastic and easy to remove efter 4 days, very easy to apply by yourself:

I always bring a roll of it, if not for myself alone but also to apply on those who get a twisted ankle:

I did tape it already. But I’m not walking except a little bit around town. It hasn’t really improved in two days. Probably I will see the doctor tomorrow morning to make sure it’s nothing more serious.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried the RICE method, slept with my foot elevated, tried ice, walked a few smaller days, until I realised that wearing a compression sock was doing the trick and was able to walk the rest of the way without problems. It made such a difference I was amazed. It was a super expensive one and I was happy that it paid its way.

You should seek medical advice just to be sure that you dont end up with damage that takes a long time to come right.
Good idea about the compression socks. I may look into that, thank you.

Thanks.

I have had shin splints in the military for years- not much helps.

I walked for years recently - if you keep the pressure up - sorry - IMO - it’s probably game over.

But wait - there’s a magical solution

shin spints - when you get down to tin tacks are pretty much a result of impact.

Solution - bike

after the Ss settles for a few weeks or couple of months - when the inflammation really calms down - you can walk again- if you push hard - it will return

Bike - problem solved

Donkey also works. They won’t take it on a train though

I have had shin splints in the military for years- not much helps.

I walked for years recently - if you keep the pressure up - sorry - IMO - it’s probably game over.

But wait - there’s a magical solution

shin spints - when you get down to tin tacks are pretty much a result of impact.

Solution - bike

after the Ss settles for a few weeks or couple of months - when the inflammation really calms down - you can walk again- if you push hard - it will return

Bike - problem solved

Donkey also works. They won’t take it on a train though
I thought of that already, but it seems like the pain happens when I move my foot up or down or in circles. I think the motion on a bike would also exacerbate it?

The point of most intense pain is right above my foot slightly to the left of my shin.

Of course, it would be a big, time consuming project to swap out my backpack for a bicycle and bicycle bags. And expensive.

But what you’re talking about is what I’m really worried about :that it gets worse. The physical therapist I talked to pretty much said what you said.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks.
It's a tough one. Rest is the only logical solution. It generally take around 5-7 days for the pain to subside. That means no walking at all. Temporary solutions are voltaren painkillers and wrapping your leg tight with bandages. Remember - shin splints are tiny fractures in the bone. Generally experienced by long distance runners and soldiers. It is not to be taken lightly. I would highly recommend you take a few more days of rest.

Thanks.
There is a 30ish German guy walking fight now that was doing the icing and taping and finally learned of compression bandages and they have been working for him to keep the shin splint swelling down. He’s been able to walk 15-20 km days for a number of weeks now and is taking taxis when necessary. Good luck to you!

There is a 30ish German guy walking fight now that was doing the icing and taping and finally learned of compression bandages and they have been working for him to keep the shin splint swelling down. He’s been able to walk 15-20 km days for a number of weeks now and is taking taxis when necessary. Good luck to you!
Compression bandages, or socks? Socks I’ve seen but the bandages are unfamiliar to me?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought of that already, but it seems like the pain happens when I move my foot up or down or in circles. I think the motion on a bike would also exacerbate it?

The point of most intense pain is right above my foot slightly to the left of my shin.

Of course, it would be a big, time consuming project to swap out my backpack for a bicycle and bicycle bags. And expensive.

But what you’re talking about is what I’m really worried about :that it gets worse. The physical therapist I talked to pretty much said what you said.

It would actually be a very cheap and easy solution

Don’t think of it as a biking Camino - just think of it as a solution to a problem - you only need to cover the distance you want to cover each day

All you need is a bike - almost any bike - enough tools to fix a flat - and that is it. (Keep your pack on your back) - unless you fluke a donkey with saddle bags

Don’t change anything else- the only objective is to relieve the impact.

You can fart about trying different things - but I would bet my bippy that the bike would be an instant fix if you took a day or 2 off the heavy walking, took something like Voltarin - 2 days.

What else can you do?

You can stop or try solutions

The problem is that you are already in the field and this is not like what I had in the military where I might have a 30km quick walk one night - then do nothing for a week

You are at it every day
You might try losing the weight, shortening your stride, all kinds of things ‘might’ make a difference - but the every day pattern makes a difficult playing field.

If you know any Morris dancers - they get Ss a lot.

Kidnap a bike- after a couple of days rest and anti inflammatories

A 10 km test will tell you the story in less than an hour.

And if you see a donkey. - game over.

I’ll explain my thoughts there a tad more

For Caminos or any longer journeys

there’s almost invariably a mindset

1. I’m a walker - or

2. I’m a biker ( let’s leave the donkey out of it atm)

So people either think - packs/sandals/shoes - go light, forward packs - drink real coffee or not - etc - 15-20km/day

Or they think bikes, saddle bags, punctures, bike locks, funny hats etc - maybe 40-100 km days.

But / there’s another mindset - a walker who just uses wheels- still does 15 - 20 km a day. Walks the bike up hills, doesn’t wear Lycra - but does have a funny hat

It Merely makes the trip less physical

Once you change the mindset - you forget your flash MTB - you pick up something for 100 euro - doesn’t matter if gets pinched and you donate it and the funny hat at the end.

It’s called adaptation- and it works

I’ll explain my thoughts there a tad more

For Caminos or any longer journeys

there’s almost invariably a mindset

1. I’m a walker - or

2. I’m a biker ( let’s leave the donkey out of it atm)

So people either think - packs/sandals/shoes - go light, forward packs - drink real coffee or not - etc - 15-20km/day

Or they think bikes, saddle bags, punctures, bike locks, funny hats etc - maybe 40-100 km days.

But / there’s another mindset - a walker who just uses wheels- still does 15 - 20 km a day. Walks the bike up hills, doesn’t wear Lycra - but does have a funny hat

It Merely makes the trip less physical

Once you change the mindset - you forget your flash MTB - you pick up something for 100 euro - doesn’t matter if gets pinched and you donate it and the funny hat at the end.

It’s called adaptation- and it works
Absolutely! It’s a damn good idea. I’ve been thinking about it. And since I’m going to see the doctor tomorrow maybe he can tell me if he thinks riding a bike will hurt my condition.

I had also posted a different question here but I missed your first reply. I’ll give it some serious thought. Thank you.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
rest, cool it, Diclofenac/Ibuprofen and positive thoughts activates your self healing power ;)

If you continue walking check that your shoes are not so tied in the last part (closer to your shins) walk slow and regular stretching should be good....

i wish you all the best!

Thanks.
massage therapist here. It sounds like you might be having trouble with you tibias anterior muscle, which attaches on the outside of the shin bone and the bottom ball of the foot. It also creates a stirrup with the peroneal muscles which have the same foot attachment but are on the outer side of the lower leg. Both of them are major ankle stabilizers. Muscles can be tight at either attachment sites or the belly of the muscles. have you massaged the feet and the foot attachment? Have someone or something (like a ball or step corner) pin the foot attachment while you move your ankle around to activate the muscles. Also, are you drinking enough water and electrolytes? Often calf cramps are linked to dehydration. No harm in checking with a doctor just in case and not pushing it. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Stephan,
I‘m sorry to hear about your problem. On my camino 2016 a suffered from the same.
I stopped for 3 days, treated my shins with ice and Voltaren crème, but every time I tried to walk again it started to hurt again. So I decided to fly home and see my doctor. He treated me with anti- inflammatory medication and prescribed me some individually made inlays for the shoes. Ana after about 2 Weeks I returned to the same place and I continued my Camino.
It seems to me that yours is a serious case too. And according to my experience there is no other solution to stop for at least 10 days. Then restart very slowly.
Sorry to say this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm so sorry this happened to you.
My advice is to STOP WALKING. Find an inexpensive place to hunker down for a few days or bus/taxi stages for a few days then REST REST REST. Shin splints almost ruined my first Camino after a hospitalero in SJPP pushed me to cancel my reservation in Orisson and walk that first entire stage. I cursed his name all the way down into Roncesvalles and suffered for days after. For that reason I always encourage people to break that first stage up into two days.

Just curious where you began your Camino?

My advice is to STOP WALKING. Find an inexpensive place to hunker down for a few days or bus/taxi stages for a few days then REST REST REST. Shin splints almost ruined my first Camino after a hospitalero in SJPP pushed me to cancel my reservation in Orisson and walk that first entire stage. I cursed his name all the way down into Roncesvalles and suffered for days after. For that reason I always encourage people to break that first stage up into two days.

Sounds like packing a tarp or tent for the fears is a good idea sometimes to me.

Not packing for your fears is good if nothing goes wrong

One trip can turn that theory into a nightmare and total loss by the sounds of it

Thanks.
Hello Stephen,
I had the same issue as you are having. My suggestion is two fold: 1) Go see a Physical Therapist asap where they may be, usually cities. The cost of the physical therapy is Euros 34 per session. The Albergues, Hotels, Pilgrim's help center, should be able to help you get an appointment. ) Rest at a larger town or city (example: Burgos). Once you have the physical therapy and rest, ice will do wonders after a day walking. Kind regards, Ben

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Definitely see a physician. Please do let us know what is going on?
Perhaps this can be more a camino of sketching than walking? The CF, fortunately does have lots of transport between many of the towns and cities. I know this is not what you are asking but since you also like to sketch, perhaps you might change the focus of this particular Camino?

It's good that you will be seeing a doctor.
Shin splints cut my fourth Camino short after almost 700 km.
Stupidly, I kept walking for several days after the initial injury and made it worse. I think that if I had taken enough time off from walking I could have probably finished my Camino.

It's a tough one. Rest is the only logical solution. It generally take around 5-7 days for the pain to subside. That means no walking at all. Temporary solutions are voltaren painkillers and wrapping your leg tight with bandages. Remember - shin splints are tiny fractures in the bone. Generally experienced by long distance runners and soldiers. It is not to be taken lightly. I would highly recommend you take a few more days of rest.
i agree with you, Jesperk.
same happened to me just a few weeks ago coming to the end of my camino. i rested it for a few days, used icepacks, bought a support bandage and when i resumed i took shorter journeys and ibuprofen for any inflammation, and voltarol gel. so important to listen to your body though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

You

To augment the good advice people have given about treatment, I want to add a note about changing the way you walk. Shin splints are often caused by placing the foot and calf too far in front of you when you walk. Aim for using your thigh muscles to lift your knees as you move forward, and, with each step, try to plant your foot under your knee rather than tossing it out in front of you. This will take a lot of stress off the calf. I had shin splints for the first and only time in my life when I was on the camino. By trial and error, I found that this way of walking drastically reduced the strain and pain. I also took ibuprofen and walked shorter distances for a couple of days, but it was changing the way I walked that gave me a permanent “fix” for the problem.

To augment the good advice people have given about treatment, I want to add a note about changing the way you walk. Shin splints are often caused by placing the foot and calf too far in front of you when you walk. Aim for using your thigh muscles to lift your knees as you move forward, and, with each step, try to plant your foot under your knee rather than tossing it out in front of you. This will take a lot of stress off the calf. I had shin splints for the first and only time in my life when I was on the camino. By trial and error, I found that this way of walking drastically reduced the strain and pain. I also took ibuprofen and walked shorter distances for a couple of days, but it was changing the way I walked that gave me a permanent “fix” for the problem.
Yes, I also found that doing different things helped- I know this will sound weird - but on the move when I couldn’t keep up with guys with a longer stride - I could keep up with them by jogging - and I can’t run to save my life - I reckon it was the way the foot met the ground.
Now I’m older - if I push hard and get discomfort - for a pain break I’ll run backwards for a short time or do hopping sideways steps - can’t do them for long - but it gives temporary relief.

It was actually shin splits that got me onto a bike - a friend had left me his bike for the winter in France - while he ran away to sun and fluffy slippers.
I’ve never liked bikes - but the splits came and I didn’t want to lose my fitness- now - I really like the bike and have my own MTB - and no more spints.

€46,-
Hello Stephen,
I had the same issue as you are having. My suggestion is two fold: 1) Go see a Physical Therapist asap where they may be, usually cities. The cost of the physical therapy is Euros 34 per session. The Albergues, Hotels, Pilgrim's help center, should be able to help you get an appointment. ) Rest at a larger town or city (example: Burgos). Once you have the physical therapy and rest, ice will do wonders after a day walking. Kind regards, Ben
Stephen, I had the same situation (extremely painful). I went to a clinic (in Burgos). A Dr consult, xray, prescription for 800mg ibuprofen and a compression stocking, all cost me about $100. The ice and rest for a couple of days really helped my recovery.

Oh no! I am so sorry that you are going through this.

I would advise getting X-rays when you see the doctor, just to be sure that you don’t have a stress fracture. Or at least discuss this with the doc.

I recently had my first ever shin splint problem, though the doc I saw didn’t use that term. He just said something had irritated that muscle (anterior tibias). My pain was in the same area as yours. I think it was from some goofy shoes I was wearing. It seems to have improved a lot fairly quickly, thank god. I didn’t take much time off, but some, and treated with ice, volteran, and compresssion.

Things I learned:
-shin splints are a soft tissue injury; if the bone is affected then it is a stress fracture, which is more serious (however, different medical systems in different countries may define this differently)
-it’s not really a medical term, but describes several types of problems in lower leg usually associated with overuse
-compression stockings are preferred over elastic bandages (ace bandages)

Good luck! Heal quickly!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I started in Pamplona. I assume it was the Alto de Perdon that did me in. I almost bought some walking poles in Pamplona, and wish I had. It might’ve helped. But I have lots of foot problems, I dealt with all the old ones before I came and this is a new one!

Hi Stephan, completely unscientific, but here's my three ha'pence worth, because everyone else is throwing there's in - and it worked for me. The most important thing I worked out was to untighten my bootlaces, so that there was no pressure at all on the ridge on the top of my foot.
Adding a walking stick/poles was also important. And initially some Diclofenac.

Update :
I did go to the clinic this morning. They wanted €95 just to see the doctor (Since I do not live in the EU). Because I was pretty sure they would only tell me what I already knew, I decided to go to Pamplona and stay a week to recover, and there I can see a podiatrist and physical therapist.

I have some other problems with my feet that I think I may have contributed to this, and want an assessment from a specialist that my shoes and orthotics aren’t a contributing factor.

I can see from the amount of pain I’m still having that I shouldn’t walk. Hopefully the week of rest and maybe some advice and hiking poles will enable me to walk the Camino.

One thing I wonder about is I bought some Hoka one/ones to walk. They felt the best in the store and I got them extra wide and a half size larger. I wore them every day for two weeks before the Camino with no problems. And the Internet is full of people praising their ability to get rid of shin splints and some people saying that they caused shin splints!? But that’s the Internet for you…

I know I can do other things, but I’d like to stick to the plan if possible. Although I may rent a bicycle here to see if that is painful. A Plan B or C.

I think compression socks, and making sure the shoelaces aren’t tight at the top, and getting some hiking poles are all things that may prevent a recurrence once I am healed.

Thanks for all that caring advice. What a nice group of people you all are!

Last edited:
Shin splints are caused by the inflammation of the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around the tibia, not fractures in the bone itself unless of course he has a stress fracture which I hope is not the case.

Besides RICE and antiinflammatory meds, sometimes changing footwear solves the problem.

Hope you improve @Stephan the Painter. And your drawings are wonderful.

Shin splints are caused by the inflammation of the muscles, tendons, and bone tissue around the tibia, not fractures in the bone itself unless of course he has a stress fracture which I hope is not the case.

Besides RICE and antiinflammatory meds, sometimes changing footwear solves the problem.

Hope you improve @Stephan the Painter. And your drawings are wonderful.
Thank you. I too hope I don’t have a stress fracture. I was told about that. But that’s what I’ll find out this week when I see the podiatrist. And thank you.

Update :
I did go to the clinic this morning. They wanted €95 just to see the doctor (Since I do not live in the EU). Because I was pretty sure they would only tell me what I already knew, I decided to go to Pamplona and stay a week to recover, and there I can see a podiatrist and physical therapist.

I have some other problems with my feet that I think I may have contributed to this, and want an assessment from a specialist that my shoes and orthotics aren’t a contributing factor.

I can see from the amount of pain I’m still having that I shouldn’t walk. Hopefully the week of rest and maybe some advice and hiking poles will enable me to walk the Camino.

I know I can do other things, but I’d like to stick to the plan if possible. Although I may rent a bicycle here to see if that is painful. A Plan B or C.

I think compression socks, and making sure the shoelaces aren’t tight at the top, and getting some hiking poles are all things that may prevent a recurrence once I am healed.

I might not be thinking straight as I traveled a long way in the last couple of days and woke only hours back

Do I remember you saying that there wa some sort of lump? a long tube like lump?

I thought about that- are we 100% certain that we’re talking about SS here and not some sort of clot?

think about it - just in case.

I’ve had thoughts on the bike thing and I have a mate who is Mr Experience plus in bike touring, bike shop owning, bike design, endurance riding etc etc

I’ll put up his ideas later when I’m thinking straighter and I work out my main computer issue with no wifi - it never likes going on holidays with me and it’s got the huffs worse than usual

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update :

One thing I wonder about is I bought some Hoka one/ones to walk. They felt the best in the store and I got them extra wide and a half size larger. I wore them every day for two weeks before the Camino with no problems. And the Internet is full of people praising their ability to get rid of shin splints and some people saying that they caused shin splints!? But that’s the Internet for you…

Include in your list "walk very slow and just do 1/3 or 1/2 stages when you begin."
There's no law that says you must finish this season.
The Camino will be there in the Autumn or next year or the year after . . .

It's also perfectly ok to taxi or bus stages for a while.
I had a little gal on one Camino (I probably said this already) who got hit with 70kph winds going up to Orisson and said, "That's it for me!" She took busses and taxis the rest of the trip and had a great time!

Take care of yourself,
Annie

@stephan, glad to know you chose to go to Pamplona. Let me suggest a shoe shop there, these people know their stuff: Muga. It is not that far from Plaza de Castillo. Of course there are other options, including a bus out to Decathlon, or Caminoteca in the old town area. That is if you pursue the question of correct fit in shoes, or orthotics. I will not recommend anything, not my field, beyond what you know and will be offered by the therapist.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
By the way, I imagine if you did some busking, painting scenes in Pamplona, you could sell them to Peregrinos as well as tourists and locals and make some €€€ for your stay. Your art is awesome.
Not sure it it is legal for people from outside Spain to sell on the street although I would certainly pay for your art. Don't get caught if you do!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nothing official, but a quick web search says you may need a license or permission depending on the city.

Hi Stephan, I am a fellow Mainer and sympathize with your plight. I have said prayers for your quick recovery.

Although I had climbed Katahdin a few times in the summer of 1978, running in combat boots during indoctrination at Maine Maritime gave me severe shin splints. The doc taped my ankles and calves a very specific way and gave me instructions on appropriate stretching exercises, as detailed in other parts of this post. I could walk and bike OK, but it took a couple months to be able to run.

3 years ago on the Frances I met a woman waiting for a bus because her shin splints had become too painful to walk. I told her she should see a doctor or clinician for proper taping and that the usual advice would be rest for three days. I left her in the cafe and said prayers for her during my walk that day. I saw her again about a week later. She said that the day after I met her, the shin splints were totally gone, and she was walking fine. She was with a gentleman bore my name. He was carrying exact same green Osprey Talon pack I had (in 7 Caminos I have never seen anyone else with that pack), and he lived 10 miles from me in the USA.

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Podiatrist visit update:
Yesterday I saw a terrific podiatrist. Clinica Podologica Iturrama in Pamplona if you ever need one. €25 for a half an hour appointment. The receptionist and the podiatrist spoke enough English to have an effective appointment.

She looked at my foot and shin and agreed that I had shin splints. But she said my shoes and orthotics and socks were fine.

The problem was that I was holding my foot in the wrong way. That’s why I only had problems on my left foot and my right foot was absolutely perfect.

I didn’t get into it earlier, but I had a surgery to correct a toe arthritis on my left foot around Christmas. This went well and my podiatrist surgeon in the United States said it healed perfectly and it was fine to go. But for a while I had to wear a surgical boot.

From the boot, I developed what the podiatrist said was a bruise on my metatarsal bone, and I thought was a neuroma of some sort. He gave me some padding to raise the front of my foot to take the pressure off of it.

This happened a few weeks before I left for Spain. And the pain has gone away, although my foot pad was still a little swollen and tender. I don’t really notice it when I have shoes on, but when I walked barefoot it was uncomfortable.

The Spanish podiatrist said because of that I was holding my foot and stepping in the wrong position and that’s what caused the shin splints. She added a pad to the bottom of my orthotic, and I did feel better. I told her I was planning to rest a week, and she very politely inferred that it might take longer than that to heal. But I should wait, and absolutely not do any serious walking until the pain went away.

She also very kindly trimmed and sanded down my toenails, that she thought might cause me some problems while I was walking.

She also said that I might benefit from some physical therapy. But was doubtful that I would be able to get an appointment on such short notice. And a couple physical therapists I called bore that out. They had no openings this week. So I’ll be using the Internet to find some stretches. It’s a common enough condition that it’s all there.

And actually, I think the Spanish podiatrist was a far better and more caring podiatrist than the one I deal with in the US. I’m actually quite irritated with that US podiatrist. I think he could’ve told me that this was riskier than I thought.

I originally talked to him about scheduling the surgery in September of last year. I talked to him at length about scheduling the Camino this spring. He assured me everything would be fine. In retrospect I think he was under pressure from the hospital to do procedures. I know from my insurance company that that 90 minute operation cost $30,000. I honestly think I’m a victim of the greed of the US medical system. He should’ve told me it was unsure that everything would be completely healed in time. The Spanish podiatrist said she would’ve told me that I had to wait maybe a year before doing something like this. But I digress.

So now I have to decide. I don’t think that I’ll be able to walk starting next Monday. Not without possibly exacerbating and dragging out the condition. My gut feeling tells me it’s going take a weeks for this to heal.

But, I’m still planning to do the Camino this spring. I could walk and try to ship my pack. But honestly I’m not even sure I can do that. The little bit of walking I did around Pamplona is uncomfortable.

So I could do a bus Camino. But that kind of ruins the whole point of the Sketchbook Camino for me. Because what I need to do is to see the spots where I want to draw. And you need to go slowly past everything to absorb it.

So I’m leaning towards a super slow bicycle Camino. More of using the bicycle as a pack horse and occasionally riding short distances when that’s possible on the regular walking Camino path. However I do it, I’ll be extremely sensitive to Camino walkers.

I was able to rent an electric bike in Pamplona yesterday, and when I turned off the electricity I didn’t feel much pain in my shin. And I think because it’s not weight-bearing, it’s not exacerbating the condition. What I’ll try to do is go rent a regular bicycle for a day and see how that goes. And then see how much it costs me to buy a used bike. Luckily, Pamplona is a student town, so I bet there’s lots of used bikes around here.

Last edited:
Stephan,

At least now you know what the problem is. Thanks for sharing this update.
Do scan the forum topic/section re Bicycling on the Camino for lots of info re pathways, equipment etc.

Please do keep on posting your ideas and sketches.
Take care and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
By the way, I imagine if you did some busking, painting scenes in Pamplona, you could sell them to Peregrinos as well as tourists and locals and make some €€€ for your stay. Your art is awesome.
It’s a good thought, thank you, but I’m not interested in selling my paintings on the street. I’m trying to create a body of work that I might do something with after I finish this. (My serious painting equipment, the oils, is sitting in a box at Casa Ivar in Santiago, For when I do whatever I do to get to santiago).

And while I do have the right to work in the EU, because I am also an Italian citizen, some of the other people who posted about this are correct. Often there are laws about selling things on the street and you need a local license.

But even more down in the weeds than that is that if you’re drawing or painting in a place that’s popular with tourists, and there are other local artists trying to sell their work, they’ll be angry with you for being there. Let alone trying to sell your work! That’s something I’ve personally experienced in Rome.

I’ve never put out a hat when I’m drawing, but I’ve had people lay down money as if I were busking. That would probably be the most effective way, but I actually do not like people looking over my shoulder when I’m drawing. I try to find an out-of-the-way spot where people can’t get behind me.

Last edited:
Podiatrist visit update:
Yesterday I saw a terrific podiatrist. Clinica Podologica Iturrama in Pamplona if you ever need one. The receptionist and the podiatrist spoke enough English to have an effective appointment.

She looked at my foot and shin and agreed that I had shin splints. But she said my shoes and orthotics and socks were fine.

The problem was that I was holding my foot in the wrong way. That’s why I only had problems on my left foot and my right foot was absolutely perfect.

I didn’t get into it earlier, but I had a surgery to correct a toe arthritis on my left foot around Christmas. This went well and my podiatrist surgeon in the United States said it healed perfectly and it was fine to go. But for a while I had to wear a surgical boot.

From the boot, I developed what the podiatrist said was a bruise on my metatarsal bone, and I thought was a neuroma of some sort. He gave me some padding to raise the front of my foot to take the pressure off of it.

This happened a few weeks before I left for Spain. And the pain has gone away, although my foot pad was still a little swollen and tender. I don’t really notice it when I have shoes on, but when I walked barefoot it was uncomfortable.

The Spanish podiatrist said because of that I was holding my foot and stepping in the wrong position and that’s what caused the shin splints. She added a pad to the bottom of my orthotic, and I did feel better. I told her I was planning to rest a week, and she very politely inferred that it might take longer than that to heal. But I should wait, and absolutely not do any serious walking until the pain went away.

She also very kindly trimmed and sanded down my toenails, that she thought might cause me some problems while I was walking.

She also said that I might benefit from some physical therapy. But was doubtful that I would be able to get an appointment on such short notice. And a couple physical therapists I called bore that out. They had no openings this week. So I’ll be using the Internet to find some stretches. It’s a common enough condition that it’s all there.

And actually, I think the Spanish podiatrist was a far better and more caring podiatrist than the one I deal with in the US. I’m actually quite irritated with that US podiatrist. I think he could’ve told me that this was riskier than I thought. But anyway…

So now I have to decide. I don’t think that I’ll be able to walk starting next Monday. Not without possibly exacerbating and dragging out the condition. My gut feeling tells me it’s going take a weeks for this to heal.

But, I’m still planning to do the Camino this spring. I could walk and try to ship my pack. But honestly I’m not even sure I can do that. The little bit of walking I did around Pamplona is uncomfortable.

So I could do a bus Camino. But that kind of ruins the whole point of the Sketchbook Camino for me. Because what I need to do is to see the spots where I want to draw. And you need to go slowly past everything to absorb it.

So I’m leaning towards a super slow bicycle Camino. More of using the bicycle as a pack horse and occasionally riding short distances when that’s possible on the regular walking Camino path. However I do it, I’ll be extremely sensitive to Camino walkers.

I was able to rent an electric bike in Pamplona yesterday, and when I turned off the electricity I didn’t feel much pain in my shin. And I think because it’s not weight-bearing, it’s not exacerbating the condition. What I’ll try to do is go rent a regular bicycle for a day and see how that goes. And then see how much it costs me to buy a used bike. Luckily, Pamplona is a student town, so I bet there’s lots of used bikes around here.
Delighted that you have taken the time to report back so thoroughly. I imagine you are feeling mixed about what is ahead, after your financial investment (not to mention heartfelt) in this whole adventure. However, given your Latin origins, I imagine you will be able to shrug your shoulders, and say: Que sera, sera!
Please, and I think you know, I am not making light of your situation.
Your plan appears to be a sound one. You have plenty of time to suss out the options for sketching, and perhaps, therefore, for taking transport to those locations. Make your way towards Santiago, insofar as your funds allow, and then, the next time - your steps will be pain free, or at least as pain free as for any regular pilgrim, once your problem has been resolved. I look forward to further updayes. Actually, in and around Pamplona, you have a wealth of subject material for your sketching. Do not forget the Mercados!!!

Ok, the older one is in the old town. The newer one, that I know of, is just off Calle Amaya, near Hemingway hostel. Let me look up the older one now...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here you go! I had to refrain from taking photos of the poor rabbits...
AA126E30-B794-4533-B125-531A5C67150D.jpeg
How I wish I could accompany you, but real life demands that I am where I am!

Or does anybody have suggestions for treatment?
Sorry to hear about your problems :(
Happened to me once on VdlP, just before Salamanca. When there visited a pharmacy and was told that the pain and inflammation will go away within 2 weeks, if I rest. If I want to continue walking, then topically application of Voltaren Emulgel in the strongest formulation 2x daily may help. They were right. The tube of that gel was about 20€. Hope you get well soon!

Sorry to hear about your problems :(
Happened to me once on VdlP, just before Salamanca. When there visited a pharmacy and was told that the pain and inflammation will go away within 2 weeks, if I rest. If I want to continue walking, then topically application of Voltaren Emulgel in the strongest formulation 2x daily may help. They were right. The tube of that gel was about 20€. Hope you get well soon!
The podiatrist did suggest Voltaren and I’m using it. I actually brought some along because I was worried about foot pain from other things! I guess it works well because it’s such a direct application of a anti-inflammatory, as opposed to taking an oral medication. Two weeks would be OK. I don’t like it, but I could live with that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Stephan, I am a fellow Mainer and sympathize with your plight. I have said prayers for your quick recovery.

Although I had climbed Katahdin a few times in the summer of 1978, running in combat boots during indoctrination at Maine Maritime gave me severe shin splints. The doc taped my ankles and calves a very specific way and gave me instructions on appropriate stretching exercises, as detailed in other parts of this post. I could walk and bike OK, but it took a couple months to be able to run.

3 years ago on the Frances I met a woman waiting for a bus because her shin splints had become too painful to walk. I told her she should see a doctor or clinician for proper taping and that the usual advice would be rest for three days. I left her in the cafe and said prayers for her during my walk that day. I saw her again about a week later. She said that the day after I met her, the shin splints were totally gone, and she was walking fine. She was with a gentleman bore my name. He was carrying exact same green Osprey Talon pack I had (in 7 Caminos I have never seen anyone else with that pack), and he lived 10 miles from me in the
Nice story! The podiatrist did not want me to tape it. She said it wouldn’t help my particular situation right now. But maybe after it was healed, as a preventative.

If you were able to figure out where your final destination will be each day, I would encourage you, to send whatever belongings you are carrying ahead via Correos. I know you may want to stop inbetween towns to sketch, and thus want to bring your sketching materials with you. However, even riding a bike, weight matters! So if you can reduce weight but keep your sketching pad with you, that might help.

I don’t know how much an e-bike costs to rent, and what your financial circumstances are, but if you can handle it financially, renting an ebike and droping it off in SdC may be your best alternative for keeping pressure while you rest the leg.

Thank you for updating us. We all want to know how you are getting along. Do continue to let us know how things are going. Be well and looking I am forward to seeing future sketches on-line!

I agree that an e-bike might keep you from the "hike a bike" of pushing it up the hill which would certainly be an aggravation to your condition I would think. Plenty of steep places where you will almost certainly have to walk it up. A few years ago I saw a group of pilgrims on e-bikes breeze up the steep hill just outside of Castrojeriz while most others were pushing their laden bikes next to the foot pilgrims.

You have my sincere sympathy, but…..I’m a bit surprised that you felt you were overdoing it with a gentle 17km stage on the flat, when most of the Camino stages are 20km+. I’m concerned for you that if you have struggled with the easy stages, the Camino might not be for you. Altos de Perdon, Castrojeriz, Cruz de Ferro and O’Cebreiro will test you physically far more than your first flat 17km stage. I’m not trying to be negative, just realistic. The much bigger stresses are ahead of you, and you really need to think about how you will cope with those in deciding whether or not to continue. You have admitted to pre-existing medical conditions which will impact your progress, but the Camino demands a certain level of fitness.You need to be honest with yourself when you make your final decision.

most of the Camino stages are 20km+
The Camino stages are as long as one chooses. Many people walk shorter stages, some much shorter. However, your post rightly points out that people need to have realistic understanding of their bodies. Even so, sometimes our bodies react in unexpected ways!

The Camino stages are as long as one chooses. Many people walk shorter stages, some much shorter. However, your point rightly points out that people need to have realistic understanding of their bodies. Even so, sometimes our bodies react in unexpected ways!
Thanks for your understanding and moderation, but I’m simply being honest, and hoping that the OP will also be honest with himself. A Camino, however short or long the stages are, is not a stroll in the park. I’m on the Mozarabe now, and I know!

…..I’m a bit surprised that you felt you were overdoing it with a gentle 17km stage on the flat, when most of the Camino stages are 20km+. I’m concerned for you that if you have struggled with the easy stages, the Camino might not be for you. Altos de Perdon … will test you physically far more than your first flat 17km stage.
Just to clarify, Stephan started in Pamplona, so his first day was up and over the Alto de Perdón. I certainly agree with your overall point that the Camino can knock the stuffing out of those who underestimate it, but that hill out of Pamplona is no piece of cake for a first day.
Bien Camino to you!

Just to clarify, Stephan started in Pamplona, so his first day was up and over the Alto de Perdón. I certainly agree with your overall point that the Camino can knock the stuffing out of those who underestimate it, but that hill out of Pamplona is no piece of cake for a first day.
Bien Camino to you!
Fair point! I’ll admit that I’m wrong there. I was just remembering the gentle stroll into Puente de la Reina.

Fair point! I’ll admit that I’m wrong there. I was just remembering the gentle stroll into Puente de la Reina.
I don’t know if you read my “podiatrist update” post above. The reason I develop the shin splint on my left leg was because I had a problem with my left foot. That’s what the podiatrist said. My right foot was completely fine and the 17 km walk, even including the alto de pedron,didn’t feel particularly difficult. I did Prepare some, and I’m a fit person. I also had planned very short stages (7-10kms) for the few first few days, but I failed to check that there would be housing available. It was too early in April and that was my crucial mistake.

Of course you’re right on one level, in retrospect obviously I wasn’t prepared enough, but you might read all the posts from the OP before you critique said 0P.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry to hear of the health troubles, I had a similar issue when I started the Camino with shin splints, in short : I rested for 1 day , reduced the walking speed , bought trainers and ditched the hiking boots, stretched for 20 mins before during and after walking (emphasis on the stretching calf and leg muscles ). Buy a tennis ball or mini foam roller and use it on the legs. Buen Camino

I don’t know if you read my “podiatrist update” post above. The reason I develop the shin splint on my left leg was because I had a problem with my left foot. That’s what the podiatrist said. My right foot was completely fine and the 17 km walk, even including the alto de pedron,didn’t feel particularly difficult. I did Prepare some, and I’m a fit person. I also had planned very short stages (7-10kms) for the few first few days, but I failed to check that there would be housing available. It was too early in April and that was my crucial mistake.

Of course you’re right on one level, in retrospect obviously I wasn’t prepared enough, but you might read all the posts from the OP before you critique said 0P.
I’ve obviously caused offence, and that was never my intention. I hold strong opinions about what walking the Camino is and means, and have read too many posts from people who transfer their personal responsibility to the forum “what do you think I should do” as you have done. My comments are honest, practical, and based on extensive experience. You need to do what is right for you. The responsibility lies entirely with you.

Thanks.
Hi Stephan, can't say I can help you with your present predicament, hopefully you shall recover if you take it easy....but for next time, up the rate you are drinking water. It helps during the day and evening and if you have twinges of cramp, you will still recover more quickly if you drink a little more than you would do at home.

Buen Camino 👍

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I bought a bike from the used store this morning. Thank you @kirkie for the advice directing me there. I’m going do the Camino France as best I can. Thank you so much for the people who have given me helpful advice. My shin splint has gotten much better in the intervening week, although the real problem that caused it still persists so I don’t think I can walk it. I believe the shin splints (or stress fracture?)will reoccur, so I will try the bike, at least for the next couple weeks.

I actually quite dislike the concept of riding a bike. It seems in the end there’s a lot of restrictions. Faster yes, but I don’t care about fast. Not quite the Camino I had planned, but what are you going to do?

I think I’ve had enough information from this post on shin splints so I’m going to un-watch it. But I’ll be posting over at my sketchbook posts or maybe seeking new advice from all the deep knowledge here.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Update :

A pair of hiking poles, light weight but strong ones.

Well, I bought a bike from the used store this morning. Thank you @kirkie for the advice directing me there. I’m going do the Camino France as best I can. Thank you so much for the people who have given me helpful advice. My shin splint has gotten much better in the intervening week, although the real problem that caused it still persists so I don’t think I can walk it. I believe the shin splints (or stress fracture?)will reoccur, so I will try the bike, at least for the next couple weeks.

I actually quite dislike the concept of riding a bike. It seems in the end there’s a lot of restrictions. Faster yes, but I don’t care about fast. Not quite the Camino I had planned, but what are you going to do?

I think I’ve had enough information from this post on shin splints so I’m going to un-watch it. But I’ll be posting over at my sketchbook posts or maybe seeking new advice from all the deep knowledge here.

Thanks again.
I wish you well, I think it will work for you, the cycling will help you keep your fitness. And you'll have plenty of sketching time.
My sister had issues with her feet on the Camino, and bought a bike, cycling until she could walk again comfortably. When she finished we shipped the bike off to a friend of hers in France.
(It wasn't that cheap to send but she had gotten attached to it.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks.
The Camino will be there when your not its nice to be able to walk all the way but sometimes you have to listen to your body you will get loads of advice on here however difficulties arise and how best you deal with it will ultimately be your decision remember life after the camino you need to get back to those activities you like. Have a Happy Easter est up dont use sticking plaster remedies take the advice of the professionell doctor when you see them. Buen Camino Cásca Sásta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.