• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shin Splints 15 days before Camino Aragones and Frances.

vlebe

Walker Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2001; 2004; 2009; 2013, 2016.....
Dear fellow pilgrims.

I decided to write this thread just to get some comfort words from the more experienced pilgrims.

As some of you know, I'll be starting the aragones in 15 days and the Frances from puente la reina up to finisterra.

Usually I come to my office walking ( 12 kms return trip) everyday. I'm fairly fit and very used to trekking and hiking and climbing. I go to the climbing gym usually 6 time a week when Im not in a climbing trip. I have also walked different caminos during 04 times including once from Le Puy to Finisterra. And I've been all over in climbing expeditions.

The above is just to lay down a bit of my background and to say that usually I'm "always prepared" and ready to go!

I remember suffering from Shin Splints a couple of times; once during the CF in 2009 and once when I was doing 22kms running training.

I bough a new boots for my next Camino, which unfortunately I could only receive last sunday and I decided to start using the boots to break them in as much as possible before the 15th.

So, monday I got my brand new LOWA Renegade WIDE and came to the office.
  • The way is all asphalt, no exception;
  • The boots were purposely bought one number bigger as I cant afford loosing nails due to my other rock climbing projects (we need to wear rubber climbing shoes that are very tight and loosing one toe nail means Im out of the game for 4 to 6 months);
  • I'm not sure if I have laced the boots too tight due to it being one size bigger and considering we are now in summertime in Sao Paulo, so I'm wearing socks that are not that thick;
To cut the story direct to the point: It seems I got shin splints!!!! And I'm really really desperate here!

I was NOT carrying a backpack, and I did not walk that long at all! I walked 6kms in, worked until 6pm and walked 6kms back!

Both time I did had Shin Splints, one time I had walked 46kms and the other I was over-training those 20kms too frequently...

Could this be already a Shin Splint Considering that I'm fit, preparede, wasnt carrying weight and did not walked more than what Im very used to walk???

I'm really concerned about it. Everything is set for my trip, postponing it is not an option. First Stages on the Aragones are all around 30kms...

I wasnt that concerned about training as - as mentioned - Im usually ready to face anything...

I have stopped any other Training (climbing, cycling, etc) since one week ago.

Could I be having just some " initial" shin alert?

I've read that breaking in these boots on asphalt could cause some shin pain.

Anyway... Im not sure what to expect whit this thread... I'm just really really concerned...

I've been putting ice on my shins and trying not use my legs too much.

Hopefuly they will be better by next week and I'll be calmer....

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear fellow pilgrims.

I decided to write this thread just to get some comfort words from the more experienced pilgrims.

As some of you know, I'll be starting the aragones in 15 days and the Frances from puente la reina up to finisterra.

Usually I come to my office walking ( 12 kms return trip) everyday. I'm fairly fit and very used to trekking and hiking and climbing. I go to the climbing gym usually 6 time a week when Im not in a climbing trip. I have also walked different caminos during 04 times including once from Le Puy to Finisterra. And I've been all over in climbing expeditions.

The above is just to lay down a bit of my background and to say that usually I'm "always prepared" and ready to go!

I remember suffering from Shin Splints a couple of times; once during the CF in 2009 and once when I was doing 22kms running training.

I bough a new boots for my next Camino, which unfortunately I could only receive last sunday and I decided to start using the boots to break them in as much as possible before the 15th.

So, monday I got my brand new LOWA Renegade WIDE and came to the office.
  • The way is all asphalt, no exception;
  • The boots were purposely bought one number bigger as I cant afford loosing nails due to my other rock climbing projects (we need to wear rubber climbing shoes that are very tight and loosing one toe nail means Im out of the game for 4 to 6 months);
  • I'm not sure if I have laced the boots too tight due to it being one size bigger and considering we are now in summertime in Sao Paulo, so I'm wearing socks that are not that thick;
To cut the story direct to the point: It seems I got shin splints!!!! And I'm really really desperate here!

I was NOT carrying a backpack, and I did not walk that long at all! I walked 6kms in, worked until 6pm and walked 6kms back!

Both time I did had Shin Splints, one time I had walked 46kms and the other I was over-training those 20kms too frequently...

Could this be already a Shin Splint Considering that I'm fit, preparede, wasnt carrying weight and did not walked more than what Im very used to walk???

I'm really concerned about it. Everything is set for my trip, postponing it is not an option. First Stages on the Aragones are all around 30kms...

I wasnt that concerned about training as - as mentioned - Im usually ready to face anything...

I have stopped any other Training (climbing, cycling, etc) since one week ago.

Could I be having just some " initial" shin alert?

I've read that breaking in these boots on asphalt could cause some shin pain.

Anyway... Im not sure what to expect whit this thread... I'm just really really concerned...

I've been putting ice on my shins and trying not use my legs too much.

Hopefuly they will be better by next week and I'll be calmer....
Ouch! And not great timing either eh? It sounds like you are doing all the right things and will check it out with your doctor if needed. Rest seems to be the main thing from my limited experience of shin splints. After a period of rest I found careful calf stretching exercise helpful. The new boots and a tarmac road do seem to be likely factors. Have you got good shock absorbing insoles? Is there any way you can make a 'plan B' of shorter initial stages to give your body time to adjust? look after those shins and enjoy The Way.

It is probably hard to find an answer until the inflammation has died down - so keep up the icing. Until the inflammation goes it will continue to hurt, even if you remove the original cause.

Once you feel comfortable again, you could try at least alternating your boots with something with more spring and cushioning - an athletic type shoe.

You may also be right about the lacing on the boots - one person I walked with did develop shin splints and I'm sure the cause was too tight lacing.

But really, this is a problem for a professional. I'd be off to see the podiatrist asap.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In October of this year after a hike from Sahagun to Mansilla, I also began feeling shin splints which continued to get worse the next day. I did four things, 1) I placed a golf ball under my foot and rolled it around much like people do with a foam roller, 2) I began applying Voltadol forte on the shin 3) took 600 milligrams of acetaminophen and 4) iced my shin at the end of each day. I took 1 rest day in Leon, but after that I was able to continue with manageable pain level until complete. By the time I got to climbing O'Cebreiro which was 5 days later this had worked quite well.

As far as not losing nails, I lost three; be very careful which could mean taping all toes descending from the Pyrnees if you go straight down, the next day on the trip to Zubiri and even the decline from Puenta La Reina as the combination of steepness and surfaces will definitely jam the front of your shoe with your nails. The surfaces in these spots are hard to replicate in training. There are several other places like the descent to Ponferrada that are tricky in this regard. I used La Sportiva trail runners which were excellent shoes, I may have made the mistake of not buying a big enough shoe as I increased my size by 1/2 and probably should have been a full size. But if this is a big concern of yours, make sure you take steps to mitigate.

Regarding shin splints - could a (mild) dehydration have been a contributing factor? And yes, changing the way how you tie your boots/shoes could help also.

I am a bit confused about
First Stages on the Aragones are all around 30kms...

Surely you could do shorter stages to start with?

Buen Camino and speedy recovery! SY

the next day on the trip to Zubiri and even the decline from Puenta La Reina as the combination of steepness and surfaces will definitely jam the front of your shoe with your nails.

He plans to walk the Camino Aragones where, thankfully, the descent is less pronounced ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Surely you could do shorter stages to start with?

You are completely right @SYates ! I actually meant that... At first... I planned to walk 30 kms for first stages.... :rolleyes:

But maybe this is just one more lesson that I'll have to swallow: Try not to plan that much for things and, no matter what activity and/or adventure I'm about to start, just be more humble and start slowly to see how it goes!

:):D

Camino is sending me more lessons even before I started it....

I had bad shin splints for a short period of time while in the military. All the ice and NSAID's in the world was not going to help me. Found out I was wearing the wrong footwear (shoes and insoles) for ME. Changed footwear to a more appropriate type and goodbye shin splints. Have never had them again in over 20 years.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After a bad case of shin splints on one Camino I now wear compression skins on my shins and have not had shin splints since. Recently finished Salvador/Primitivo , you could give them a try.

Change of insoles might also help ;-) Buen Camino, SY
I've purchased new insoles over the internet yesterday!

Hopefuly they will arrive before I leave!

Too bad I wear EU48/49 !!! Not as easy to find footwear, insoles, socks, etc....
:eek::rolleyes:

For now I'm taking it very easy... Not doing any walks and applying Ice every time I can! I also have a doctors appointment for tomorrow!

If it doesnt get better by saturday, then I'll start with Iboprufen or similar. Hopefuly it'll be better by the time I start the Camino!

THanks for all your suggestions everyone!!!

You are Stars that also shine in this enormous field os stars that leads us all to Santiago!

Ultreia!

Hi everyone!

I'm happy to let you know that I managed to fully recover from the Shin Splints! Since last friday I'm pain free!!!

What did I do??

1) Resting
2) Loads of ice: 20 minutes session 3 or 4 times per day;
3) Stretching the area: Start slowly and grow from there (there are several videos on youtube showing how to do a proper stretch session for your shins);
4) Received some new God Sent insoles for my new boots! Even though my boots are one size bigger, with the new insoles it kind of feels just a little bit to the tidy side but... I gotta tell you guys... It's been like I'm walking on clouds!!! I've been wearing my boots 15 hours per day since last thursday and I cant complain .

Im curious on how it will behave on the camino. I'm taking other pair of insoles with me just in case...

But I think the current configuration might be a winner!

One week to go!!!

Once again, thank you all for the comforting words and suggestions on how to deal with shin splints.

Ultreia!

Vagner

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found that my hiking shoes gave me shin splints when I walked several miles on asphalt. I could hike 100's of miles in them (and have done) but 2-3 days of walking on asphalt during one Camino gave me shin splints. I determined that the sole of the shoes were too firm on the hard surface; my foot was not bending for "lift off" as it would normally do in running shoes and so my gait changed = injury. The same for when stepping down (or 'striking'), the shock was not cushioned by a soft, rubbery sole as I was used to.

My solution: I stopped and rested for 2 days, then started again at much shorter distances and never again walked a long day if it was strictly on asphalt.

Getting shin splints wearing new boots may be an indication, that they unfortunately poorly support particular feet biomechanics. Too stiff for instance, as mentioned above. It might be a concern when planing to walk about 1000km.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.