• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shin splints at the start of my camino

ratyoke

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (April 2016)
I'm currently on the Via de la Plata. Shin splints started during the 2nd day of walking and hurt the whole day. I was ok for about the first half of the 3rd day (the 29km day) but they got pretty bad during the second half. So I took a rest day in Almaden de la Plata. Also bought more ibuprofen. 1 day of rest didn't really help at all. My 4th day of walking, the weather and scenery were great, but my legs hurt so bad. I've never experienced shin splints this bad before. I limped into El Real de la Jara, where I am now.

Now I'm thinking what to do. It's at the point where I don't think I can just keep toughing it out.

I'm wearing Asics trail running shoes. They aren't new but I trained in them and they still felt good before I started the Camino. I used to run a lot, and I would get shin splints when my shoes got worn out. So I'm thinking about getting a new pair of running shoes to see if that helps things. Should I go back to Sevilla? Is Merida big enough to have some decent shoe stores?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about where to go for shoes or dealing with shin splints?

One good thing is I came here with a one way ticket and plan to keep traveling after this, so I have no deadline I need to finish the Camino by.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Recently my walking companion suffered a few days of painful shin splints. Three rest days did the trick and she was able to continue without any pain. It is hard to be patient, and one never knows what will work, but 1 or 2 days may not be quite enough. Also, I believe that shortening the gait a little, and slowing the pace are helpful.

Continued movement will not help. Shin splints, or the similar tendonitis, are an inflammatory condition, not something that stretching will help. Complete rest and ice may help, along with the ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medication.

If you have a schedule to meet, perhaps taking a bus to an interesting city, then taking several days of rest, might help. Do not spend a lot of time walking around that interesting city, but continue ice and NSAID's. After the rest, you may be able to determine if continuing is possible. New shoes probably won't help cure the condition, but might prevent a recurrence after the inflammation has subsided. Good luck!

Exactly. Shin splints are an over-use injury, the micro-tears that are created daily when using the muscle don't have a chance to heal properly overnight before you're off injuring them again the next day. 2-3 days Rest Ice Compression Elevation should work. FYI - my first Camino I pressed on as long as I could with the pain until I got to the point that even 3 days rest did nothing for me. I had to quit my Camino and fly home. Rest now.

In my experience, they occur when you try to walk too fast. Particularly if you're using poles, it's easy to slip into a "marching" walk: your leg is straight, your knee is locked, you plant your heel down and almost pull yourself forward with your leading foot. Instead, try to keep your knees ever so slightly bent, and push forward from your rear leg. You should notice the difference almost immediately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bad or wrong footwear.
I had shin splints bad when I went in the military and would really suffer from them after long runs. I changed to a different type of shoe and never had them again.
Right now you need to ice them and take a NSAID.

Shin splints are a terribly painful condition. The comments you have already received are good. The only additional counsel I would offer is to use a topical ointment for pain and swelling. Go the pharmacy and tell them your problem. I am sure they will have several kinds. Get one that is extra strength. IF you are going to find you can go on after a few days rest you will know soon. Begin slow, walker slower than you want. What you are trying to achieve by using the topical ointment and taking ibuprofen or any other pain reliever and anti-inflammatory is to reduce the swelling in your lower legs as much as possible. You are walking gently, slowly so that you do no further damage. Use ice packs in the evening to also help reduce swelling.

I suffered from shin splints often when I was younger. Sometimes your body will bounce back - but still take it slow - and you will be able to walk. However, if your shins are really feeling abused they are not going to let you go on.

If it was me, I would consider going back to Seville for some rest and relaxation. Alternatively, do some touristy things near where you are like the Monasterio De Tentudia. Take it easy and then see if you are able to walk. If you find that you are able to walk a little without pain when taking these precautions then maybe your body is healing fast and it is not a serious case. Regardless, you must take it easy or it will not heal enough to walk very far.

I looked WebMD for you; they gave the following advice:

7 Treatment Tips for Shin Splints
Shin splints often heal on their own. If you see a doctor, expect to get a thorough physical exam. Your doctor may want to see you run to look for problems. You may also need X-rays or bone scans to look for fractures.

1. Rest your body. It needs time to heal.
  2. Ice your shin to ease pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours for 2 to 3 days, or until the pain is gone.
  3. Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. These drugs can have side effects, though, like a greater chance of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor says otherwise.
  4. Use orthotics for your shoes. Shoe inserts -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with arches that collapse or flatten when you stand up.
  5. Do range-of-motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
  6. Use a neoprene sleeve to support and warm your leg.
  7. Go to physical therapy to identify and treat issues in your legs or running mechanics that may be causing shin splints. A therapist can also help ease the pain and guide your return to sport.
I hope you are able to recover quickly and God speed.

I've always understood that shin splints on the interior were caused by pronation. On the exterior by suppination. I pronate and my shin splints were interior. The shoes I changed to were for pronaters and the problem went away.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've thought about it and decided to go back to Sevilla tomorrow and rest till next week. I'll also probably get some new shoes there.

When I come back I'll try to take it a bit slower. I can take as much time as I want, so there's no reason for me to hurry.

Hi, ratyoke,
You're lucky you have the time to rest and recover. Once you start back up again, I have two suggestions. Ice your shins every day after walking, even if they are not hurting. Nothing wrong with a bit of prevention. I always carry a plastic bag with me and bring it to the bartender at the cafe where I'm going to sit outside and have a post-walk agua con gas or whatever. I have never had a problem getting ice.

The other suggestion is that you should do whatever you can to avoid walking on pavement. I have been told that people who walk on unpaved surfaces never get shin splints because each foot strike is different. But on pavement, every foot strike hits the muscles/tendons, etc in exactly the same place. I always look for a dirt path, or a grassy shoulder to avoid the pavement and it seems to help a lot. Buen camino and good luck with your second start! Laurie

My shin splints didn't start to heal until I went and bought new shoes. I bought a pair of trail running shoes with pronation support at Decathlon in Burgos, and almost immediately started to feel better. I continued to tape the shins for a while, just in case. (I found directions for that on Youtube).

Good luck!

I've thought about it and decided to go back to Sevilla tomorrow and rest till next week. I'll also probably get some new shoes there.

When I come back I'll try to take it a bit slower. I can take as much time as I want, so there's no reason for me to hurry.
Rest, ibuprofen gel applied very liberally multiple times per day and an ace bandage (or neoprene sleeve) saved me.

A small tub of BCAA (branched chain amino acids) could also be handy. The smallest size you can find is plenty big enough as a dose of the stuff is about 1/2 tsp. It's helpful for the repair process as you constantly break down muscle and does stop a bit of soreness. I warn you that it tastes disgusting!

Hie to the beaches of Malaga and stay there till there is no pain.

Your running shoes probably aren't giving enough support even if they feel comfortable. New ones won't help. Get a walking shoe ... Meindl makes good ones.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Ratyoke I think you've made a good decision. What is essential, I believe is that when you start again that you walk SLOWER than you were before and take a break if you feel the slightest pain coming back. Stretches can help - try sitting on your heels for a few minutes and build up the time also heel drops off a step and/or lunge stretches. Do this particularly before you start in the a.m. and if you feel any pain coming on. - this will help stretch out the affected compartment of your shins.

Last edited:
I now use firm,shin compression garments from knee to ankle and no more shin splints. Any sports store should have them.
Also ibuprofen and massage.

Lots of good advice here. But one more thing.

Seek professional advice! Get to a physio.... they are great in Spain and not expensive.

they will give an accurate assessment and advise treatment. Maybe also show you a taping technique that could help....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A visit to the podiatrist to get a gait analysis would be useful before you buy new shoes. Take those old shoes and any shoes you use a lot. Things like arches can contribute to a tendency to shin splints. You can have great shoes but if they are wrong for you, it doesn't matter how good they are. They can tell you what to go for in your next pair. which Asics shoes have you been wearing?

One of the posters was correct that it is an overuse injury and stretching might help. Shin splints can also be caused in part by walking too fast. Try slowing your pace and walking shorter distances every day. You might be surprised at all the cool stuff you notice along the way.
Buen Camino...

One of the posters was correct that it is an overuse injury and stretching might help. Shin splints can also be caused in part by walking too fast. Try slowing your pace and walking shorter distances every day. You might be surprised at all the cool stuff you notice along the way.
Buen Camino...
A camera may be your friend. I tend to have a hare approach as I walk fast. However I also stop to take lots of photos and that gives my legs lots of breaks. And allows my tortoise friends to catch up :) Make sure you take advantage of every potential stop for coffee,toilet and rest breaks. There are some potentially long days in the couple of days before Merida if you get really keen and walk most of the day. Take the shorter options. The good thing is that a lot of it is dirt roads through vineyards :)
I used to get shin splints when I walked to Uni as a student. Hard footpath, a big hill so high impact and I have a heavy weird gait anyway, and normal shoes with minimal cushioning. And I used to get them in the morning when my legs were cold literally and not yet stretched enough.

I went to my doctor for shinsplints (and general arthritis) today. She suggested physiotherapy and massage, heat (no ice). And she gave me a prescription for an 8% diclofenac topical medication to rub on the shinsplints. I have tried physiotherapy with no results at considerable expense, but I am thinking that I should be able to massage the affected areas myself. Heat really works for me. I can start my day without pain by having a hot bath in the morning (not usually an option on the camino). I may try compression garments, to see whether this helps. Shinsplints can be rather like blisters: they hurt, I do what I can to take care of them, and then I just go on. I had shinsplints right through my camino frances last fall. I developed a rather odd walk, sort of shaking each leg out ahead of me before putting it down, instead of tightening my lower legs as I walked. It seemed to help. I never had shinsplints before I developed them while trying to get in shape for my camino last year. Physical penance is definitely out of fashion these days, but, as they say, the camino provides.

I suffered terribly from shin splints two years ago, I think because of the pace with which I pounded down into Zubiri. A few days later my legs started turning purple so I bused to Logrono for x-rays. I was told to rest for three days but the hospitalero woudn't hear of my staying even with the doctor's letter, so I crawled on, doing about 5km or so a day for a while. Finally I had to stop really early in Rabe de las Calzadas. Michelle, the woman in the albergue on the left, put green clay on my legs and instructed me to use it for several days when resting. It turned my camino around. I researched it after getting home and found that it is able to reduce the swelling. I have since used it back here several times. The pharmacias in Spain carry it. It might be worth trying - you make a thick paste of it, put it on the affected shins and wrap it with a plastic bag or plastic wrap to keep it in place. Buena suerte y buen camino - Cherry

In my experience, they occur when you try to walk too fast. Particularly if you're using poles, it's easy to slip into a "marching" walk: your leg is straight, your knee is locked, you plant your heel down and almost pull yourself forward with your leading foot. Instead, try to keep your knees ever so slightly bent, and push forward from your rear leg. You should notice the difference almost immediately.
your discription ofthats exactly what happened to me, 3 weeks in i was feeling great and speeding along in a marching fashion with my poles,,i ended up in so much pain ,i could have kicked my self for being so cocky.i am allergic to the best recommended pain relief , so it was ice at every chance and slow slow walking,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I probably was walking too fast. I'll try to do it slower once I start again.

I'm in Sevilla now relaxing. After one day of rest my legs have improved slightly. They've gone from it being agony to walk to just normal painful shin splints.

I suffered terribly from shin splints two years ago, I think because of the pace with which I pounded down into Zubiri. A few days later my legs started turning purple so I bused to Logrono for x-rays. I was told to rest for three days but the hospitalero woudn't hear of my staying even with the doctor's letter, so I crawled on, doing about 5km or so a day for a while. Finally I had to stop really early in Rabe de las Calzadas. Michelle, the woman in the albergue on the left, put green clay on my legs and instructed me to use it for several days when resting. It turned my camino around. I researched it after getting home and found that it is able to reduce the swelling. I have since used it back here several times. The pharmacias in Spain carry it. It might be worth trying - you make a thick paste of it, put it on the affected shins and wrap it with a plastic bag or plastic wrap to keep it in place. Buena suerte y buen camino - Cherry

Do you know the name of this green clay?

This also reminded me.. is staying an extra day at an albergue not allowed? Does it make a difference if its municipal or private?

Do you know the name of this green clay?

This also reminded me.. is staying an extra day at an albergue not allowed? Does it make a difference if its municipal or private?

Usually municipal and parish albergues do not allow you to stay an extra day unless you are very ill or it is during the off season. Private albergues are more lenient. Nevertheless you can always explain your situation and ask....I hope that you soon feel better.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Voltaren is the diclofenac topical medication Albertagirl is referring to. It's prescription here in the USA but available over-the-counter at the farmacias, it's basically an ibuprofen--type ointment with pain-relief and anti-inflammatory properties. Highly recommended but it's important not to take too many ibuprofen pills at the same time as the ointment does go into your bloodstream.

Bad or wrong footwear.
I had shin splints bad when I went in the military and would really suffer from them after long runs. I changed to a different type of shoe and never had them again.
Right now you need to ice them and take a NSAID.

What he said.

For perspective, when DH and I (and a teenager) went to Rome for a week, I took my carefully-chosen Mizuno running shoes. (Never mind that every time I have tried to take up running the shin splints try to start! Not relevant here.) The Mizunos were my exercise shoes and I loved them. The summary of our week of simple touristic walking and standing: from ankles down, I spent the week in Hell. From ankles up, Heaven. I learned from this, and have never tried to do hours-n-hours of walking in running shoes again.

If you bus to that interesting city someone mentioned, that has a hiking-support type of store, you can get some *walking* shoes. The whole padding regime of a walking shoe is different. A running shoe is designed to be used for maybe an hour or two at a stretch. A walking shoe/hiking shoe is designed to be basically lived in.
And go up a full size from your regular tenny size. The feet swell about mile 8. (Memories of purple toes here...)

Buen camino!

I'm currently on the Via de la Plata. Shin splints started during the 2nd day of walking and hurt the whole day. I was ok for about the first half of the 3rd day (the 29km day) but they got pretty bad during the second half. So I took a rest day in Almaden de la Plata. Also bought more ibuprofen. 1 day of rest didn't really help at all. My 4th day of walking, the weather and scenery were great, but my legs hurt so bad. I've never experienced shin splints this bad before. I limped into El Real de la Jara, where I am now.

Now I'm thinking what to do. It's at the point where I don't think I can just keep toughing it out.

I'm wearing Asics trail running shoes. They aren't new but I trained in them and they still felt good before I started the Camino. I used to run a lot, and I would get shin splints when my shoes got worn out. So I'm thinking about getting a new pair of running shoes to see if that helps things. Should I go back to Sevilla? Is Merida big enough to have some decent shoe stores?

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about where to go for shoes or dealing with shin splints?

One good thing is I came here with a one way ticket and plan to keep traveling after this, so I have no deadline I need to finish the Camino by.
I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I'm also sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I hope that other beautiful souls on this forum will be able to give you good advice.
I'm writing to you because you mentioned that you got there with a "one way ticket and have no deadline". I, too, purchased a one way ticket and have no deadline (my sabbatical ). I'm actually flying to Madrid in 3 days. Were you questioned about not having a returned ticket???
This is important for me, as some say one must have a return ticket.
But after a finish the Camino I intend to take the train and visit other countries....
Anyway, did you have any problems with a one way ticket?
Thanks and buen Camino!
I pray that your pain will go away soon.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I'm also sorry that I don't have an answer for you but I hope that other beautiful souls on this forum will be able to give you good advice.
I'm writing to you because you mentioned that you got there with a "one way ticket and have no deadline". I, too, purchased a one way ticket and have no deadline (my sabbatical ). I'm actually flying to Madrid in 3 days. Were you questioned about not having a returned ticket???
But after a finish the Camino I intend to take the train and visit other countries....
Thanks and buen Camino!

No problems. No one said anything about not having a return flight. Immigration didn't even ask the purpose of my visit.

No problems. No one said anything about not having a return flight. Immigration didn't even ask the purpose of my visit.
Ah, that's good news!
I'm flying from Canada with first layover in New York.
Thanks!

Voltaren is the diclofenac topical medication Albertagirl is referring to. It's prescription here in the USA but available over-the-counter at the farmacias, it's basically an ibuprofen--type ointment with pain-relief and anti-inflammatory properties. Highly recommended but it's important not to take too many ibuprofen pills at the same time as the ointment does go into your bloodstream.
Emulgel is the over the counter voltaren/diclofenac cream sold in North America, but it has bery little active ingrédient: even the ultrastrength is only 2.5% or so, vs the 8% Albertagirl got or the 10% my pharmacists makes for me. Considering how conservative the pharma profession is on this side of the pond, and considering I have 10% cream made for me, I would not spend hard earned money on the OTC version and expect it to work miracles (not that the 10% does either for me mind you). I remember the Spanish version being more concentrated that the North American one, it may be worth checking the lables. I am grateful my stomach tolerated the pills.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks and buen Camino!

@Christie:
Since no one who is more informed on this has replied, I want to let you know that there is a deadline for getting out of the Schengen area of the Eurozone, which I believe is most of continental Europe. You must be out by three months from when your passport is stamped for your arrival. I understand that it is not easy to get an extension. Best luck and buen camino.

I probably was walking too fast. I'll try to do it slower once I start again.

I'm in Sevilla now relaxing. After one day of rest my legs have improved slightly. They've gone from it being agony to walk to just normal painful shin splints.
glad to hear your legs have improved,keep using the ice and take it slow and enjoy the rest of your adventure,,

I had the most dreadful shin splints when I walked the Camino in 2013. Fortunately I had a yoga book in which 'up dogs' and 'down dogs' were recommended. These alternatively stretch the shins and the calves. I did them often and the problem was solved. I have never experienced pain like this before so I was absolutely delighted to recover immediately.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After 8 days of rest in Sevilla, ibuprofin, new shoes, and compression sleeves for my lower legs I am walking again. I'm walking more slowly and stretching frequently. I took 2 days to go from Real de la Jara to Monesterio. I wanted to take it easy my first 2 days back on the camino so I spent a night at the hotel between the two towns. No shin splints or pain so far. Tomorrow it's about 22 km to the next town. We'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back