• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

shin splints how to treat it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure where you are from but in addition to icing the area I suggest you find a physio or PT asap that can tape the appropriate muscle (varies per person) using Kinesiotape - I have had great results with patients and also taped a few people along the Camino who were then able to continue walking. Of course that is once you have it - the real question is why did you develop it? Usually it is due to over training such as increasing km/miles too soon, walking repetitively on hard surfaces or wearing footware that is worn. Could also be due to biomechanical reasons. All the more reason to have a fysio check you out- soon!
Good luck and Buen Camino,
LT

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got exercises from a sports therapist that really helped mine after they got bad after running. She also recommended hot water followed by ice and rubbing in Voltarol gel.

Shin splints and tendonitis do not improve with exercise or stretching, so you need virtually complete rest. Ice and anti-inflamatories also are recommended. Stretching can help prevent them, though.

I see their is no easy answer to the question once you get them. My friend who just completed the walk when she had the problem, said (after returning home) her Doctor said she did a lot of damage and told her not to take any long walks for two years. So this is serious, do not take it lightly. Now, how to prevent it from happening. water...water...water, remember if your thirsty, you waited to long! My theory is when the mussels dry out they can separate. Many other good suggestions on the link above.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Being well hydrated is good general advice, but shin splints are an impact/overuse injury of the tibia and associated tendons, and it is the causes of these that need to be addressed to prevent or treat the condition.

Prevention: gradually build up to the distances one is going to walk, which for the OP might not be something she can do in the next three days, but would otherwise be the easiest way to avoid any overuse injury. Before you leave, replace your footwear insoles with a good, shock absorbing insole. When on the Camino, warm up and stretch before doing serious walking. This might just mean taking it easy for the first couple of km. Avoid walking on hard surfaces if you can, although this is not as easy as it sounds.

Treatment: if you do get shin splints, my view is that relative rest is the first thing to do - slow down, and don't try and keep walking through the pain. Stop if you have to and rest, but if you do, remember the other elements of RICE - ice, compression, elevation. When you can apply ice if it is available. Also consider taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or using an NSAID cream such as Voltaren. Apply a compression bandage and elevate you legs. Its a great excuse for sitting around with your legs up!

I know it is in the nature of the pilgrimage to push on, but if the condition persists, seek medical advice at a farmicia or medical centre rather than keep walking in pain.

Regards,

It took custom orthotics to resolve my shin splints. I never got them after that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Had shin splints this year when I've done the Caminho. I wish I had some very good advices has the ones gave by everybody in here. Instead of taking Ibuprofen, I took Benuron which are very weak. Had muscular gel with me, but it sucked! Ended up doing 4 days of the Caminho with shin splints but it kind of “paid off” :)

When I arrived home, doctor said that it was very normal to catch them because of the tarmac and other conditions (weight, boots, long km walks, etc). So he gave an order of rest, taking a good Ibuprofen and to apply ice and use a very good gel called Reumon.

Next year I will definitely change my shoes, and use some gel or silicone insoles. And take the Ibuprofen and the Reumon gel :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Corpsman in the US Navy and Marines for 25 years, 4 of those years treating Navy Seal Wanabes. Shin splints.... Tincture of time, Strap ankle, and what we called BUDS candy (motrin). Mostly tincture of time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing to do to prevent them is to reduce your pack weight, 8-15 Kg (18-33 pounds) may be fine for a few days but the repetitive shock in your legs caused by your body weight and pack weight takes a toll.
Also, please remember that pack weight includes everything that is on you body outside of your skin, just because an object is in a pants pocket or in a water bottle (1/2 liter of water is just over a pound and adds up very quickly) doesn’t mean it doesn’t count.

Also, please remember that pack weight includes everything that is on you body outside of your skin, just because an object is in a pants pocket or in a water bottle (1/2 liter of water is just over a pound and adds up very quickly) doesn’t mean it doesn’t count.
Actually, most of the pack weight guidance on the forum, like the magic '10% rule' is not based on From the Skin Out (FSO) principles. I occasionally mutter about the difference, having found that at least one of the advocates of extremely light pack weights was 'wearing' all his warm and water-proof layers before weighing his pack, and not counting his water because he carried the bottles in his trouser pockets.

There is good guidance from The Complete Walker IV (CW4), noting that most of it is focussed on trekking rather than walking a pilgrimage like the Camino. However, something like pack weight guidance is relevant to both activities. CW4 suggests that a FSO weight of 20% of body mass is a good target for comfortable walking, and recommends that FSO loads not exceed 30% of body mass.

My view (supported by my own observations of pack weights and volumes) is that the FSO20 target is a little heavier than the so-called 10% rule when food, water and worn items are added. It is between that and the 15% pack weight limit recommendation now shown on the CSJ website. Achievable in summer, but more difficult earlier or later in the season cycle.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.