• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping Backpack home

Left Coaster

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
Camino Primitivo (2017)
After my Camino Primitivo in May I will be travelling for a couple of weeks with my wife. To make that part of the trip easier I would like to ship my backpack home to Canada. Does anyone have any advice/experience in doing this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your best bet might be to contact Canadian postal service. I live in the US, so don't know about Canada. To ship something like a backpack between Europe and the States would be quite expensive. It's not so expensive to ship between European countries. I have shipped items, both from the states and between European countries. Last summer we shipped a bicycle suitcase from Norway to Finland. To arrange this, I contacted the local Norwegian post office we would be using and asked the cost for shipping that is and weight. It was around US$120.00 for 20 lbs. You might be able to buy a new pack for that! I shipped some clothes from Lisbon to Santiago by Portuguese mail, and that cost around US$25.00 I think.

For something like this, I would either arrange to store the pack at a location to pick up later, use a cheap pack I don't mind giving up, or most likely, simply carry as my luggage or inside whatever luggage I was planning to use.

Your best bet might be to contact Canadian postal service. I live in the US, so don't know about Canada. To ship something like a backpack between Europe and the States would be quite expensive. It's not so expensive to ship between European countries. I have shipped items, both from the states and between European countries. Last summer we shipped a bicycle suitcase from Norway to Finland. To arrange this, I contacted the local Norwegian post office we would be using and asked the cost for shipping that is and weight. It was around US$120.00 for 20 lbs. You might be able to buy a new pack for that! I shipped some clothes from Lisbon to Santiago by Portuguese mail, and that cost around US$25.00 I think.

For something like this, I would either arrange to store the pack at a location to pick up later, use a cheap pack I don't mind giving up, or most likely, simply carry as my luggage or inside whatever luggage I was planning to use.
Hi - there's a transport/travel/shipping service office where you collact your certificate at the end of your Camino, in Santiago. They're really helpful and can arrange a lot of travel/shipping worldwide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Do we have an experience to tell you! Last June we shipped our Camino gear home to Canada. Spanish post office was very accommodating. Our gear, 36 pounds total, fit nicely into their largest shipping box. Total cost, including box, to have it shipped by air to Ontario was 140 Euros. Then the fun began

The package arrived via Canada Post at my son's home address in approx 8 days, however he was not home that day to receive it. Next day the Delivery slip was presented to the local Canada Post outlet for pickup. Long story short, the delivery person mis-scanned our parcel as undeliverable and it was coded "Return To Sender". The box was returned to Spain via ship to the temporary address we were using in Spain. We had alerted our host and fortunately she accepted our box and paid the 45Euro fee - i.e. the cost of shipping it by boat back to Spain. She then reloaded our gear into a new box and reshipped it via air back to Canada. Another 140 Euro fee. We finally received it in October - 18 weeks and 3 Trans Atlantic crossings after initially sending it home in June.

Lessons:
When shipping home, insist on using a Canadian address as 'Return'. The Spanish clerk had advised me they needed a Spanish return address. I learned that was incorrect, a Canadian address would have been OK, as long as not the same as the Recipient address. ( i.e. insert a friend or relative's address)
The shipping document does have a box "Do Not Return To Sender" which I checked off. That should have resulted in our box sitting in Canada Post's unclaimed (but easy to locate) mail department for 6 months. Unfortunately the local outlet didn't notice I had checked that box!
I had been told in Spain that insurance was not available since it was an overseas parcel. Again, push this as I was since told that was incorrect

Unless you are in a hurry, via ship is much cheaper. (40E vs 140E) The actual time for the parcel to ship back to Spain was about 3 weeks. The unknown is how long it sits in the shipping warehouse. In our case, turns out our box sat in a Toronto terminal for several weeks until they had a full container.

Be very persistent when following up with Canada Post. The front line customer service people know very little. We learned the hard way that, although they readily assign you a followup file number, if the agent feels he has resolved your issue, he can delete the file. Our first agent believed that "sorry, your parcel is gone, nothing we can do" was a resolution.
Once we forced our way up the ladder however, we did find a very sympathetic manager who was quick to acknowledge Canada Post's errors. He was invaluable in helping us keep track of our gear's unplanned second pilgrimage.

Positives from this experience
We had a wonderful parcel opening party in October.
We received full refund from Canada Post for extra costs incurred.

Initially, we took this turn of events as the Camino God's message that we never take on an adventure such as the Camino again.
When the parcel finally arrived, we began hearing the real message that perhaps another Pilgrimage is in order?

Buen Camino

I need to send some things from Santiago to Oxford in England. I'll arrive in Santiago on Tuesday. From what I've read, nothing sharp or liquids can go in the box. But clothes and shoes would be okay?

Anyone tell me how to do this?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back