• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping My Pack

erikgreb

Hola!

I am departing for my first Camino in a week or so. Afterwards, I am continuing to travel (backpacking) through Europe. Because of the different types of weather I am preparing for on my other travels, I am having a hard time cutting down my pack to an appropriate weight for the Camino.

After some research, I believe that shipping an extra bag with some of my winter gear and other non-essential items for the Camino is my best bet. However, I am trying to budget my trip as much as possible. I read on the website that:

There is a post office in SJPP, and I receive many parcels from there. This would be an international shipment, so it might be a bit pricy to ship it from there. A suitcase is about 60-70 euros if I remember correctly. But definitely doable.

I do not mind carrying my heavy pack for one or two of the days of the trek and then shipping it off once in Spain for a cheaper cost. Does anyone know if there is a place on Day 2 or 3 where I can ship a regular school-type backpack with some extra clothes and items in it?

Thanks in advance for any replies! This forum is very useful and I am so glad that there are so many experienced members here who love to help out.

EDIT: I plan on departing from SJPP (if that was not clear before).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi erikgreb,

You have a few options for shipping things ahead - I've done it on every Camino so far, and the Spanish post office is well set-up to accommodate your needs. I will start by advising against carrying your heavy pack with you from SJPP until the first post office, which is nearly 70 kms away in Pamplona. The risk of injury is much higher when carrying extra weight. Instead, you may consider using the luggage transport service provided by Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/) for 8 euros a stage (it's either three or four stages from SJPP to Pamplona).

Once in Pamplona, you can visit the post office (Correos) to send your stuff to Santiago. Here is a full primer on how to do that: http://thecaminoexperience.com/Correos-post-office-Camino-de-Santiago.php

Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi erikgreb,

You have a few options for shipping things ahead - I've done it on every Camino so far, and the Spanish post office is well set-up to accommodate your needs. I will start by advising against carrying your heavy pack with you from SJPP until the first post office, which is nearly 70 kms away in Pamplona. The risk of injury is much higher when carrying extra weight. Instead, you may consider using the luggage transport service provided by Express Bourricot (http://www.expressbourricot.com/) for 8 euros a stage (it's either three or four stages from SJPP to Pamplona).

Once in Pamplona, you can visit the post office (Correos) to send your stuff to Santiago. Here is a full primer on how to do that: http://thecaminoexperience.com/Correos-post-office-Camino-de-Santiago.php

Good luck!

Thanks!

I Express Bourricot has not been updated recently. I hope they still provide their services in October. But, this is definitely a way to save.

I contacted Express Bourricot and they said that they could not ship it to Pamplona, but to Roncesvalles. Is there anyway that I can send a pack from therE?

There is no Spanish Correos office in Roncevalles. However one of the major transporters of baggage along the camino is Jacotrans. Here is their web >> http://www.jacotrans.com/. Perhaps they can help you.

Good luck and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are two companies available to transport a bag from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. When you arrive in Roncesvalles, go to the bar at La Posada, the Hostal closest to where you leave the hamlet to walk out on the Camino. The person at the bar can give you an envelope for one of the companies (both are good). You fill in the destination for the bag, put 7 euros in the envelope, attach it to the bag, and leave the bag in the front lobby of the hostal (it won't be the only one!).

I'd recommend sending your bag to wherever you are going that night, which will probably be Zubiri or Larrasoana. Then send it to Pamplona the next day. That will cost you an extra 7 euros for the additional stage, but it will give you the peace of mind to know your bag is with you, not sitting in some albergue or guesthouse in Pamplona.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola!

I am departing for my first Camino in a week or so. Afterwards, I am continuing to travel (backpacking) through Europe. Because of the different types of weather I am preparing for on my other travels, I am having a hard time cutting down my pack to an appropriate weight for the Camino.

After some research, I believe that shipping an extra bag with some of my winter gear and other non-essential items for the Camino is my best bet. However, I am trying to budget my trip as much as possible. I read on the website that:

There is a post office in SJPP, and I receive many parcels from there. This would be an international shipment, so it might be a bit pricy to ship it from there. A suitcase is about 60-70 euros if I remember correctly. But definitely doable.

I do not mind carrying my heavy pack for one or two of the days of the trek and then shipping it off once in Spain for a cheaper cost. Does anyone know if there is a place on Day 2 or 3 where I can ship a regular school-type backpack with some extra clothes and items in it?

Thanks in advance for any replies! This forum is very useful and I am so glad that there are so many experienced members here who love to help out.

EDIT: I plan on departing from SJPP (if that was not clear before).

You have a good plan, and the advice on the thread is top notch. Last year, I took the same trip in reverse. I spent a little over a month backpacking before walking the Camino. I didn't want to carry around my jeans/jackets/etc. while walking, and shipped them home. You'll be glad to rid yourself of the excess weight! The Camino has made me a much more efficient hiker and backpacker, it makes you realize how little you really need.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back