• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping poles and knife to St Jean Pied De Port

ttbtinkerbell

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2015
I have been browsing through many posts on this website, but I don't seem to find anything on the ability of shipping things TO St Jean Pied De Port. I live in America, and I am flying Norwegian Air to Paris. My return flight will be somewhere in Spain (Madrid or Barcelona) depending on price of ticket.

I understand you can check your luggage with your poles and little pocket knife on an airline. As I am not sure of all Trains and airlines I will be taking in Europe, I thought it would be easier to send my poles/knife straight to St Jean Pied De Port. That way I don't have to worry about checking luggage the whole way of the trip.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question and I am clearly don't "get it". I have looked up how much it costs to send the poles via mail to France, and it is cheaper than checking my luggage on the first flight alone. Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am a starving college student so ever penny saved is important to me. I am also only 100lbs so every ounce of weight is also important to me. The poles I bought are only 12 oz in weight and cost me $65. I was searching for a while before I found that great of a deal. I feel that the poles on the Camino will not compare in weight nor price. If it is otherwise, then I'd be happy to buy out there.

No I do not have an address, but I am wondering if they will hold it for a day or two there for me to pick it up as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I made a cardboard suitcase and checked my poles (and peanut butter) to Paris while carrying on my pack. When I picked it up I threw away the cardboard. It is not an issue on trains or buses. When I returned home I checked my pack, poles and all.

Upon reading many posts, you need to check the poles for Ryan Air, and to leave Santiago as well. As the shipping of the poles to SJPdP is cheaper than checking it, I feel more inclined to just ship it.

I've only heard of people shipping stuff ahead, all the way to Santiago.
Don't know if the pilgrim's office in SJPdP ever has stuff shipped to them to hold for a peregrino. That's the only place I can think of in St. Jean that you could possibly contact for that, or maybe the municipal albergue nearby. Everything else is privately owned hotels, albergues, etc.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you're flying Norwegian Air from the US to Paris, you're allowed one check in up to 20kgs,( http://norwegian.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32 ) it's included in the price of your ticket. Pack it in a cardboard tube and tape it up. Once you are in France, there are no restrictions on carrying poles and a pocket knife in trains or busses. Since you are on a budget, checking in would be the most cost effective way.
Depending where you are shipping it from, you may have to pay duties to pick it up if you ship it ahead, I doubt the hotel or albergue will pay for it up front, you'll have to go to the post office and pick it up yourself.

Post Restante to SJPdP post office

LaPoste is France's postal system
http://www.laposte.fr/particulier

If 'budget' is a more important factor than 'time' check in a bag with your knife and poles. Every airline is the same; they operate under international safety standards for what you are allowed to bring into the cabin.

There are security checks for high speed trains in Spain since the Madrid bombing ... the restrictions are on explosives not on knives and poles.

Since you are a 'starving college student' may I suggest that you don't need poles. Save the $68 and spurge on some kraft dinner. I carried one pole and it spent most of the camino strapped to my pack. I used it going downhills.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Bagaracer. The tickets I am buying are the lowest tickets so they actually charge to check a bag. You get only one carryon for free. The charge for the checked bag is $58, and they directly say it will be double at the terminal (you find all this out while going through the purchasing process). I may also fly with Ryanair from London to Biarritz, which I believe would be a $21 fee to check a bag as well. Unfortunately that is getting expensive quick.
Whariwharangi, I have tried to convince myself that I won't need the poles, but I have a bad knee. I am usually fine every day, but if I push myself too hard, I have awful knee pains. I figured the poles will help avoid some knee issues along the way. I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine without them, but I have a hard time letting them go.
Wayfarer, I am buying all my tickets today and I will be looking for a place to stay in SJPdP. I am definatally going to ask to see if I can get them shipped there.
I appreciate everyone's advice. I probably will try to see if I find a place that will let me ship them there, if not, then maybe leave them behind. I have hiked all over the Southwestern United States this summer with no issues. I didn't really hike much more then 6 miles a day though. But my knees didn't need braces or walking sticks at all. I will try to hike or walk around ten miles a day somewhat regularly to see how I do.

Thanks Bagaracer. The tickets I am buying are the lowest tickets so they actually charge to check a bag. You get only one carryon for free. The charge for the checked bag is $58, and they directly say it will be double at the terminal (you find all this out while going through the purchasing process). I may also fly with Ryanair from London to Biarritz, which I believe would be a $21 fee to check a bag as well. Unfortunately that is getting expensive quick.
Whariwharangi, I have tried to convince myself that I won't need the poles, but I have a bad knee. I am usually fine every day, but if I push myself too hard, I have awful knee pains. I figured the poles will help avoid some knee issues along the way. I keep trying to tell myself that I will be fine without them, but I have a hard time letting them go.
Wayfarer, I am buying all my tickets today and I will be looking for a place to stay in SJPdP. I am definatally going to ask to see if I can get them shipped there.
I appreciate everyone's advice. I probably will try to see if I find a place that will let me ship them there, if not, then maybe leave them behind. I have hiked all over the Southwestern United States this summer with no issues. I didn't really hike much more then 6 miles a day though. But my knees didn't need braces or walking sticks at all. I will try to hike or walk around ten miles a day somewhat regularly to see how I do.

Hi - I stayed at Gite Ulteria in SJPP - Bernard & Fafa were fabulous, their hostel perfect and right on the Camino out of town...I had corresponded with them via email prior to my arrival, I'm sure that if you stayed there they'd be more than happy to receive a parcel and hold this for you http://www.ultreia64.fr/en/the-hostel-2/ once you've completed your Camino you can mail anything home via the Spanish postal service Correos, I did, I mailed my entire backpack, contents, shoes and poles back to South Africa 42 euros for a large full box, they sell different sized boxes too. There is a Correos office in all major and smaller cities throughout the Camino route - the one in Santiago is 2 blocks from the Cathedral. Hope this helps

I have travelled extensively in Europe and as far as I know their is no restrictions on a (reasonable) knife and walking stick for train or bus travel in Europe. I also managed walking OK without a knife or walking sticks so I would question if you really need them. Its also probably cheaper to buy them when you get there rather then post them.

Astly you can post items to yourself at any main post office for you to pick up - its exactly the same system as the USA

€60,-
I made a cardboard suitcase and checked my poles (and peanut butter) to Paris while carrying on my pack. When I picked it up I threw away the cardboard. It is not an issue on trains or buses. When I returned home I checked my pack, poles and all.
They let us carry on our cardboard box with our poles and knives, as well as our packs. Checked everything coming home, but didn't want to risk it not arriving on our way there.

I have been browsing through many posts on this website, but I don't seem to find anything on the ability of shipping things TO St Jean Pied De Port. I live in America, and I am flying Norwegian Air to Paris. My return flight will be somewhere in Spain (Madrid or Barcelona) depending on price of ticket.

I understand you can check your luggage with your poles and little pocket knife on an airline. As I am not sure of all Trains and airlines I will be taking in Europe, I thought it would be easier to send my poles/knife straight to St Jean Pied De Port. That way I don't have to worry about checking luggage the whole way of the trip.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question and I am clearly don't "get it". I have looked up how much it costs to send the poles via mail to France, and it is cheaper than checking my luggage on the first flight alone. Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a shipping tube from an office supply store to ship our poles (2 sets). The tube was approximately 4" / 100mm in diameter and 48" / 1200mm long. I cut it in half and taped the two halves together with duct tape, and covered the cut ends with a circle of cardboard which was then taped in place using duct tape. We packed our trekking poles, liquid toiletries, Swiss army knife, and other sharp objects in the tubes. We checked these on our US to Madrid flights, then unpacked them and placed everything in our backpacks (which we carried on) before boarding the bus to Pamplona. Here's a photo to illustrate:

upload_2014-12-31_10-44-52.jpeg

In 2012 I shipped my poles and knife directly to my first night's accommodation in St. Jean Pied de Port for some similar reasons. I emailed the private albergue I'd reserved first to check that it would be possible. They asked that I just not send them too early so they didn't have to store them for very long, so I shipped them Priority Mail because the delivery time frame is much more specific than regular international mail. I knew that it might not work and I was prepared to purchase new poles and a knife if they didn't arrive. It was so wonderful to see the cardboard shipping prism I got at the US post office lying on my bed when I got there! It did cost a bit more (I think it was $35) than checking them would have at that time, but I had a tight connection to make in Barcelona (I won't do that again) and thought shipping would make it a little more likely that I'd have my beloved Pacerpoles. I probably spent a few hours on USPS.com trying to figure out how long it would take to arrive, costs, etc. One thing I remember that I can pass along: be sure to write, in the "Detailed Description of Contents" area, "USED walking poles" and "USED knife" (for example) so you don't get charged tax or import fees. Also, I had a heck of a time determining what state or province St. Jean is in. There's a slot on the US postal form for it, but maybe they don't really use them in France? I ended up writing Acquitaine, but I have no idea if that is correct or if my package arrived despite the incorrect address. On the internet, historical provinces seem all mixed up with the current ones. Maybe someone here knows?
Oh, and on the way home from Santiago, I paid $25 to check my backpack and just put the disassembled poles and knife inside.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Bring as little as possible! Poles - dont bother. Bring bare necessities and all will fall into place!

You may not have time in your travels --but if you google the very large Decathlon sports stores in Paris and Anglet (between Bayonne and Biarritz) you will find various qualities of hiking poles for as little as 10-20 dollars each. (I think I paid less than 30 dollars for my lightweight pair in Decathlon Belfast a few months ago and I'm certainly happy with them.) A pocket knife can be bought there or elsewhere--certainly for less than shipping from the US. (I carry a tiny Swiss army knife/scissors freely on European flights, as its blade is within the rules--but I can't attest for the whims of the TSA). Yet another thought, there is also a Decathlon (I do not have shares in the company, I promise!) within sight of the camino route on the outskirts of Logrono, if you prefer to walk the first week+ without poles, but would like them for further on. My daughter has a damaged knee, and it took a lot of maternal nagging to get her to use one pole on her first short camino portugués--but she managed much better with two poles on her second camino. Shipping may really not be worth the hassle and timing, but you have done a lot of homework and know your own mind best. Buen camino!!

If you have a bad knee or knees, the continuous walking can and will give you some issues, definitely use some walking poles.
I had to buy some elastic knee bands after Roncevalles and they were not cheap, I would buy a pair before going, much cheaper in the US.
No need to buy Icy Hot or Ben-Gay before you go, when you get to the EU, buy a tube of either Ibuprofen gel or Voltaren gel, both are topical anti inflammatories (usually €4-6 a tube) and work better than what you get OTC in the US.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

My husband and I flew from Syracuse NY to Paris this past September and he had no problem bringing his poles on the plane along with his backpack. They were attached to his backpack and both went through security, no problem. He did have rubber tips on them, though. Coming home, we shipped two pair from Santiago in a nice box the Post Office had, whcih fit them both for a total cost of $27.00 U.S.

You may not have time in your travels --but if you google the very large Decathlon sports stores in Paris and Anglet (between Bayonne and Biarritz) you will find various qualities of hiking poles for as little as 10-20 dollars each. (I think I paid less than 30 dollars for my lightweight pair in Decathlon Belfast a few months ago and I'm certainly happy with them.) A pocket knife can be bought there or elsewhere--certainly for less than shipping from the US. (I carry a tiny Swiss army knife/scissors freely on European flights, as its blade is within the rules--but I can't attest for the whims of the TSA). Yet another thought, there is also a Decathlon (I do not have shares in the company, I promise!) within sight of the camino route on the outskirts of Logrono, if you prefer to walk the first week+ without poles, but would like them for further on. My daughter has a damaged knee, and it took a lot of maternal nagging to get her to use one pole on her first short camino portugués--but she managed much better with two poles on her second camino. Shipping may really not be worth the hassle and timing, but you have done a lot of homework and know your own mind best. Buen camino!!

I did find some comparable poles for a cheaper price of my original (at Decathlon). They don't carry the 110cm which I originally measured myself for, but they do have the 115cm. I can also order it ahead and have it shipped to the store and pick it up on the way. That way I can guarantee to get the ones I want. It is a serious consideration now.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and reply's. You all have been very helpful. I am not leaving to the Camino until the end of May. I have plenty of prep time. I have been planning for this trip for 8 months now. My backpack is at 7.7 lbs without food or water. I know there may be a few loose ends that haven't been accounted for, but I am very close. All my gear including clothing that is going to be worn is at 11.5 lbs. I am basically ready and prepared for my trip, I just have to wait for my departure date. Haha.

Last edited:
In 2012 I shipped my poles and knife directly to my first night's accommodation in St. Jean Pied de Port for some similar reasons. I emailed the private albergue I'd reserved first to check that it would be possible. They asked that I just not send them too early so they didn't have to store them for very long, so I shipped them Priority Mail because the delivery time frame is much more specific than regular international mail. I knew that it might not work and I was prepared to purchase new poles and a knife if they didn't arrive. It was so wonderful to see the cardboard shipping prism I got at the US post office lying on my bed when I got there! It did cost a bit more (I think it was $35) than checking them would have at that time, but I had a tight connection to make in Barcelona (I won't do that again) and thought shipping would make it a little more likely that I'd have my beloved Pacerpoles. I probably spent a few hours on USPS.com trying to figure out how long it would take to arrive, costs, etc. One thing I remember that I can pass along: be sure to write, in the "Detailed Description of Contents" area, "USED walking poles" and "USED knife" (for example) so you don't get charged tax or import fees. Also, I had a heck of a time determining what state or province St. Jean is in. There's a slot on the US postal form for it, but maybe they don't really use them in France? I ended up writing Acquitaine, but I have no idea if that is correct or if my package arrived despite the incorrect address. On the internet, historical provinces seem all mixed up with the current ones. Maybe someone here knows?
Oh, and on the way home from Santiago, I paid $25 to check my backpack and just put the disassembled poles and knife inside.
Hi Picatta, I'm doing the CF starting March 19 2017 from SJPP and have just asked the Beilari albergue where I have a reservation if I can ship my poles, just waiting to see their response. You didn't say which albergue you shipped them to . Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.