• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping stuff back to the US

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
In June my nephew and I will be walking from Leon to Santiago. After that, we will then be touring around Europe for another couple of weeks. We will be bringing some items appropriate for the Camino and some other items more appropriate for backpacking around Europe. We will mail the items not necessary for the Camino to Ivar once we arrive in Spain. (Thanks Ivar).

Now, my question is, once we reach Santiago and collect the items appropriate for backpacking around Europe, how can we ship the "Camino" items back to the US?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just box it up and check it in for your flight back, you're allowed one check in of 22kg/50lbs with your ticket, if it's a second check in, it will still be cheaper than shipping it over and you won't have to deal with customs fees and other headaches.

The Spanish post office is very reliable, and you get a tracking number that you can use to follow the parcel on its way.

But, be careful what you ship... I am helping one pilgrim now that shipped all her pilgrim things home to the USA from Santiago. Got on the plane and found that her parcel was stopped at the Spanish border, then retuned to the post office in Santiago. Why? "Suspicious content". It turns out that Spain is now scanning all parcels leaving Spain, and returns things to the sender (the post office) if anything suspicious is fund.

So what is not allowed to send? In the case of this pilgrim, I had to take out of her box her walking poles, her shampoos, cosmetic, a swiss army knife and a head lamp. I was told at the post office that anything with a battery is a problem. Also liquids and sharp objects. :rolleyes:

This pilgrims received her box (minus the stuff listed above) the other day, so this one was sorted out. But another pilgrim contacted me with a similar problem with a box sent from Logroño, and this is more complicated for me since it is a long way from Santiago to Logroño to go and get that box.

Anyway, short story... mailing it home is fine as long as you think twice what you put in the box.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have mailed a lot of things within Spain without problem, but I hear at least a couple of stories a year from pilgrims who used Correos to mail a box home to the US or elsewhere and found that a lot of the stuff had disappeared in transit. Maybe spending the few extra euros for insurance would be worth it.

I have mailed a lot of things within Spain without problem, but I hear at least a couple of stories a year from pilgrims who used Correos to mail a box home to the US or elsewhere and found that a lot of the stuff had disappeared in transit. Maybe spending the few extra euros for insurance would be worth it.
Yes... and maybe not put your "compostela" in the box.

Just to clarify, this is not the fault of Correos. It is Spanish customs that refuses the parcel after a scan and order correos to send it back. Last year I have shipped out over 1000 mailings to all over the world using Correos (mostly the credentials) and have only lost a parcel twice (and I am convinced it was due to wrong address).

I talked to MailBoxes ETC. in Santiago yesterday (they ship stuff with FedEx and UPS) and they can send sharp objects and things with batteries (not liquids) to the USA. But, they would charge €69,- (!) to send a pair of poles and a head lamp.

Ship the items you don't want to carry for the rest of your trip to the hotel you'll be staying on your last night before flying back and have them hold it for you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone. That is all VERY helpful.

One other question for Ivar. When I mail these things to you for you to hold until I arrive in Santiago, where do I get a box to put them in? Will the Correo have them, or should I get one in a store somewhere first?

Thanks.

And one other question, totally unrelated to anything else in this thread. I have noticed in recent pictures that the towers at the front of Santiago Cathedral are cover for cleaning or refurbishment or something. When is that work scheduled to be done and the towers uncovered? I'll also be there in April with a slack-packing group and I would love for them to see the front of the cathedral in it's full glory.

Thanks.

Thanks everyone. That is all VERY helpful.

One other question for Ivar. When I mail these things to you for you to hold until I arrive in Santiago, where do I get a box to put them in? Will the Correo have them, or should I get one in a store somewhere first?

Thanks.
Correos sell them... 3-4 euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And one other question, totally unrelated to anything else in this thread. I have noticed in recent pictures that the towers at the front of Santiago Cathedral are cover for cleaning or refurbishment or something. When is that work scheduled to be done and the towers uncovered? I'll also be there in April with a slack-packing group and I would love for them to see the front of the cathedral in it's full glory.

Thanks.
I have a feeling that the restoration will take longer than that. You will probably see it covered as it is now. :-(

Thank you Ivar. You are truly a God-Send for us pilgrims. I hope that you feel our appreciation for your efforts.

Yes... and maybe not put your "compostela" in the box.

Just to clarify, this is not the fault of Correos. It is Spanish customs that refuses the parcel after a scan and order correos to send it back. Last year I have shipped out over 1000 mailings to all over the world using Correos (mostly the credentials) and have only lost a parcel twice (and I am convinced it was due to wrong address).

I talked to MailBoxes ETC. in Santiago yesterday (they ship stuff with FedEx and UPS) and they can send sharp objects and things with batteries (not liquids) to the USA. But, they would charge €69,- (!) to send a pair of poles and a head lamp.

Ivar:

Would you add the UPS, FedEx shipping option to your list of "Ivar's Santiago Services?" I would recommend a cost example for for sending a parcel / box about 50 to 60 cm long by 30 cm wide by 30 cm high, weighing not more than, say 15 Kg.

If both shippers have a bracket or maximum size or weight in this range, perhaps you can use that as an example. Walking sticks can usually be taken apart or shortened to less than 50 or 60 cm. Heavy boots and other items will fit in this size box, as will all soft clothing.

As you know, the biggest problem, beyond restricted items is that the volumetric weight of the box may exceed the value of the items in the box. It is up to the sender to make that determination.

However, this is a valuable service for many people, especially if you are fronting it, or referring people to the nearest Mailboxes, etc. location. BTW, where IS the nearest location to your office.

Thanks for considering this.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here is the whole story on how to send parcels using the Spanish Correos: http://thecaminoexperience.com/Correos-post-office-Camino-de-Santiago.php

If you send anything home from Europe, just be sure NOT to send anything you truly value or that can't be replaced. One of my pilgrims from September lost all of her Camino mementos (plus her hiking boots and a few other things), taken out of the box she got from the Correos office, somewhere between Santiago and home.

In June my nephew and I will be walking from Leon to Santiago. After that, we will then be touring around Europe for another couple of weeks. We will be bringing some items appropriate for the Camino and some other items more appropriate for backpacking around Europe. We will mail the items not necessary for the Camino to Ivar once we arrive in Spain. (Thanks Ivar).

Now, my question is, once we reach Santiago and collect the items appropriate for backpacking around Europe, how can we ship the "Camino" items back to the US?

All i can tell you about is what happened to me. we had walked from SJPDP to Pamplona and decided that our backpacks were far too heavy for our journey. We decided to ship the items that we didn't really need home. For what it costs, you might as well have donated them to a local charity. For what it cost We could have brought everything new when we got home. Sending your items to Ivar is smart and that is what I would do. Shipping them home could prove costly.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.