• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping Wine

melaniedc

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/October 2015
Hi All: I am walking the Camino Frances in September. I would really like to have some of the local wines shipped back to the states for my coworkers. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry, I can't help. I only got as far as 87.5% of the thread title. However if you require any advice on that I would be very happy to oblige. o_O

I have never done it but I suspect some of the bodegas in places like Logrono and Cacabelos would accommodate you. You will probably find the price they want charge to cause you think twice. I like near the Rioja Valley and there are so many labels available there which we can't find in SW France.

It is very expensive, and at a minimum you need to be in a state that permits. Wine shops in France just tell you they won't do it afters years of unhappy experience with various state laws. In Spain is is simply expensive! You will do better to go to a nearby wine store, buy Spanish wines, and tell your friends you bought it in Spain. ;)

I check my back pack, and always stuff a few bottles inside. Be sure to declare it!

Different approach...

You might want to first check out Spanish wines in stores in "LA" and then research where the vineyards are (near the Camino Frances or not?) and finally visit one or two of them. My wife and I visited Bodegas Ontanon just outside Logrono and found their wines near our home. But I don't believe Ontanon wines are widely distributed in the U.S. The tourist office in Logrono made a reservation for us for an English language tour and advised us how to get to the bodega by bus. On an earlier visit to Spain we stopped at Muga, a prestigious Spanish vineyard, but it was closed. I just looked at the Muga website and you need a reservation for a tour and tasting.

Falcon is correct about difficulties in importing wine. One reason is that wines are taxed and I believe the payment of those taxes for imported wines is made by the U.S. distributor.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You will do better to go to a nearby wine store, buy Spanish wines, and tell your friends you bought it in Spain. ;)

This made me laugh. I could try it, but suspect the "bottled for Aldi" might give the game away.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I order Spanish wine in the UK, for myself and family, from a couple of major on line suppliers neither of whom deliver outside of Europe. I suspect there a good reasons for that.

Costs to the UK depend on the size and value of the order but first 20% VAT is added to the advertised price then about £1 per bottle for shipping.

I live in California and work in the wine industry. I have shipped wine home from both France and Spain. But, I live in California and the state allows residents to receive shipments of wine. Alabama does not. It is a "prohibited state". TMcA is correct about the taxes. It's up to each individual state as to whether or not they want all wine received through distributors, where they are assured of receiving their tax dollars on those shipments. You could buy the wine, ship it yourself, and take a chance that your friends will receive it. But wineries will not ship to prohibited states. I would buy it at the end of your trip, packing it well, check it and carry it home with you, as Falcon suggested.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses everyone.
I had no idea about restrictions on shipping wine!

I don't even like wine.. which is why I am hiking the Camino to begin with..

I need to acquire a taste for wine so I can 'fit in' with the crazy ER nurses I work with! They all say going home after a long crazy shift is easier knowing they have wine to greet them upon arrival.

Can't ship... Hmmm.. I may need to buy a suitcase on my way out of Spain..

Hi All: I am walking the Camino Frances in September. I would really like to have some of the local wines shipped back to the states for my coworkers. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?
as i recall, returning from europe, one is allowed two bottles of wine without paying any taxes/fees. never had any issues with my bring-back goodies (olive oil, port wine, vino, eau de vie, etc etc) -
or: find a wine merchand here who ships good spanish/portugues wine. most of them never taste quite like when consumed there, but still ... it's a good approxmimation.
how kind of you to think of your co-workers vino-taste !!!
best wishes!

Connoiseurs (don't count me amongst them) recommend that transported bottles have a two week's rest (horizontally is better) before consuming, for a better experience. Something about sediments...

It's probably cheaper to find Spanish made wines in your local Liquor shop. And easier, too.

Something about sediments
That problem exists only rarely for modern wines. To keep the price down, most modern wine is more chemistry than artistry. It is filtered, so no sediment. It is processed mostly in stainless steel, then blended for a particular taste. It does not change with age, and most does not see an oak barrel. It is tasty and ready to drink as soon as it reaches the shelf!;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I always bring home a couple of bottles of herbal liqueur. Never had any issues. My daughter in law likes Cuarenta y Tres ( a little too sweet for me) but it is readily available in the states.

Ultreya,
Joe

This response may not help you, but it will help residents from TX. Each person is allowed one case of wine per person, tax free. I have done this from France twice. Simply packed paper around the bottles, taped the box shut, and checked in on at the Airline's desk with fragile stickers plastered all over it. It is some hassle if you have a stopover, so it has to checked all the way to your destination. Of course, I bought the wine at my last stop so not to carry it around for days. This was the cheapest way for me at least. Good luck

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back