• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shirley MacLaine talks to Oprah about her Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hardest Part of Shirley MacLaine's 500-Mile Pilgrimage | Oprah Winfrey Network by ivar posted A moment ago
Thank you Ivar for posting this interview with Shirley MacLaine on her Camino. It was her book which inspired me to do the Camino, I was ashamed to admit this initially as there were so many low opinions of her book and her motives. It was your forum which gave me the practical details of how to do the Camino although I had to filter off the techno-phobes and those who insist on the "purity" of how the Camino should in their opinion be done. As they say each Camino belongs to each.

Last edited:
"and don´t spend any money...you have to beg for your food"

BTW - now I understand why it is common to think that you are not supposed to spend any money while walking the camino.

Thank you for posting @ivar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have never heard the rules about walking alone, making no friends, spending no money and begging for food before. I made some great friends on the Camino and loved company while walking. I do agree when she said that you start your Camino when you are finished.

At the risk of being shot down... thank goodness I didn't walk the Camino she did....I happily spent money, ate well, made friends with awesome people and didn't once have to worry about any past lives??

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Beg for food? Not make any friends? ha ha ha o_O
I must say, watching that short video was actually physically painful, yet hilarious at the same time. Two strange women who exist in the superficial, unrealistic world of entertainment discussing a pilgrimage.
I don't know where she walked, but it wasn't the same Camino Frances I have walked twice. All I can say is that one must consider that she is an actress. Someone who pretends for a living. Not surprising that any book or interview she would do about walking the Camino would be embellished.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Where in the world did she get the idea one had to beg for food and not make friends? I know we each walk our own Camino but (having read her book) I'm not sure we walked the same terrain!! :)
I read her book and i didnt liked it. My wife said its a book wrote by an ACTRESS.

She was 60 when she walked it. At present she´s 80 ( 24 April 1934 ) . 20 years have passed since she walked it and that her age memory tends to play tricks on you.

Ondo Ibili !
Sorry, no offense but dementia or memory loss doesn't explain that silliness she was spewing out.
I'm still laughing at the seriousness in her and Oprah's face when she was talking about it, ha ha.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe other pilgrims along the way told Shirley about the 'no friends' rule
I have never even remotely heard of the notion that one does not make friends and has to beg for food on the Camino.
In all likelihood she did not want to make friends on the Camino possibly because of her celebrity status. Making up some story of not being able to make friends while doing it may just be an excuse for being unsociable. Heaven forbid that a fellow pilgrim were to recognize her! Ha ha. And does one really believe that she begged for food? Doubt it. I'll bet she had a wad of euros in her bag thick enough to choke an Andalusian horse, and she dined well everyday.
Don't get me wrong. She's done some entertaining movies. "Two Mules for Sister Sara" is one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies.

Celebrity, status? I've heard of the name but wouldn't know her if I fell over her. But if her book or her interview has helped someone to learn about the Camino then that's a good thing. I just hope the newbies that saw this interview find this forum before they set off though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started to walk with a couple of other walkers whilst crossing the Meseta. It was the making of the camino for me.
We walked at the same pace every day (although not in each other's ears).
Starting in St Jean, I met many pilgrims from all over the world. They were all in great spirits after tough days, and we enjoyed many meals together. I learned a lot from all those people.

Roll on my next camino.

Irishwalker

"Don't spend any money ...beg for your food" Fiddlesticks! Bonkers!
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is paying.
Surely those who have most should donate most.

Even though I am aware of the premise that comments on any given topic usually say more about the commentator than the topic addressed, do allow me a li'l 'rant' here please:
  • I have yet to encounter an actress/actor who does NOT turn any and everything they "touch" into something about 'them'. Period. If you know someone, pl do let me know. I am most curious indeed...
And when I heard in the late 90's or so that ShirleyMcL did walk the camino - my first thought was: "Oh my, the 'way' is finished now. It will be flooded by equally self-absorbed girls/boys in search of the knight from centuries ago, etc." Luckily I was wrong for the most part. The spirit of the camino is larger and more rooted as to be bent out of shape by writing and walking actors.
I 'refused' to read her book ... until after the camino this spring/summer when i got home and frankly was a bit thirsty for writings/sharings on the camino - and when a friend dropped a copy by my place, i eventually read it. gasp. but in fast-forward mode for much of it ... though i did enjoy the descriptions about the landscape, the albergue encounters etc.
but of course, it mostly was indeed all about her. what a surprise...
And now hearing her speak that clap-trap about 'beg for your food' - and making no friends ... i suspect some dementia perhaps is setting in??
that food-begging thingy is not even mentioned in the book (in the parts that i did not fast-forwarded through) -
so - in case it's questioned where my first statement comes from: I lived and worked in the capital of glitz for a few years (beverly hills/hollywood, etc) with people in the 'entertainment industry' (aka lived inside their residences and worked/travel with them). so I do actually know what I am talking about and my bias does not stem from reading about 'them' - but unfortunately first hand experience.

I would hope, like Diefenbaker, that the newbies who saw the interview, will find other sources of info and insights (like this forum) and forget that interview presto.
cheers ...

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I spent money. Oh Lord, did I spend money! If a pilgrim is not supposed to spend money, then who keeps all the shops, cafe's and bars open in those little towns?

I made friends. I made human friends. I made friends with dogs, cats, horses, and those little lizards that are everywhere. I don't think the cows in Galicia cared much for me though. But I think maybe they just wanted give me a taste of the running of the bulls. I made friends the saints and sinners, royalty and peasants, rich and poor, named and unnamed pilgrims who had walked before me.

One of the dear humans I made friends with told me that the Camino is a metaphor for life. There are ups and downs. And if it is a metaphor for life, who wants to go through life alone? Don't you want friends to share the ups with, and have them there to help you through the downs?

There are no "rules" for the Camino.

Shirley MacLaine is a singer, dancer, activist, author and Academy Award Winner , winner of all the top awards and the American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement Award. I have also spent time around actors - my own daughter is one. They, like everyone else, are well-rounded individuals entitled to their own ideas and opinions. I've never read her books, but her talent, along with her brother's (Warren Beatty) has enriched my theatre experience for years and I do feel a bit sad that "pilgrims" would tear her up so and show no respect for her as a person.

Shirley MacLaine is a singer, dancer, activist, author and Academy Award Winner , winner of all the top awards and the American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement Award. I have also spent time around actors - my own daughter is one. They, like everyone else, are well-rounded individuals entitled to their own ideas and opinions. I've never read her books, but her talent, along with her brother's (Warren Beatty) has enriched my theatre experience for years and I do feel a bit sad that "pilgrims" would tear her up so and show no respect for her as a person.
I'm sure Ms. MacLaine will be quite alright.
I think it's not so much that what she said was an "opinion". It was just plain made-up stuff. The begging for food and not supposed to make friends bit while on the Camino. It actually portrays a negative picture towards it, and I suppose that is why there are so many responses to it on here. It's bound to stir the pot.

I'm sure Ms. MacLaine will be quite alright.
I think it's not so much that what she said was an "opinion". It was just plain made-up stuff. The begging for food and not supposed to make friends bit while on the Camino. It actually portrays a negative picture towards it, and I suppose that is why there are so many responses to it on here. It's bound to stir the pot.
Balony. We all know Jim who walked with no money, suffered two strokes and recently died. It was his way. Perhaps she decided making friends would negate her own experience in some way but, at her age, expressed it as best she could her reasons. No need to laugh at her. No need whatsoever. Plain and simple, she is on Oprah because she is a living legend and any thinking person should know that. It's what Oprah does. Shirley is entitled to her world view without being laughed at - especially by so-called pilgrims.

Last edited:
Balony. We all know Jim who walked with no money, suffered two strokes and recently died. It was his way. Perhaps she decided making friends would negate her own experience in some way but, at her age, expressed it as best she could her reasons. No need to laugh at her. No need whatsoever. Plain and simple, she is on Oprah because she is a living legend and any thinking person should know that. It's what Oprah does. Shirley is entitled to her world view without being laughed at - especially by so-called pilgrims.
Per Merriam-Webster. Don't say nuthin bout not being able to make comments about actors....
Full Definition of PILGRIM
: one who journeys in foreign lands : wayfarer
: one who travels to a shrine or holy place as a devotee
capitalized : one of the English colonists settling at Plymouth in 1620

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually, I believe that begging your way to Compostela was an ancient and respected practice. It was not necessarily about saving money (obviously, there were also poor pilgrims), but about “putting yourself in a condition of poverty” as a spiritual exercise of penance and redemption.
It is not always a well understood practice. I live in a mostly Catholic, quite traditional country, and I see sometimes a lonely person, who seems to be for his/her dress and manners in a good economic position, begging at the door of a church asking for “a charity for the love of God” (the produce is later delivered to a charitable foundation, anonymously). They receive sometimes spare change and kind words, most people are just indifferent, and some even mock them. For a middle class person it could be morally tough; it is frequently the result of a “promesa”, that is a vow made to a saint. This may seem very strange for people coming from a “modern”, secular society. I had had to explain it to some of my visiting European or American friends; I am not sure that they really understand.
Nowadays, the Camino have changed, and so the motivations of people who do it. I think Mrs MacLaine tried to pick up an already anachronistic practice. There were not in the 90s so many books and forums about the Camino to guide and enlighten the pilgrim-to-be. Nowadays, you could be looking for spirituality, and spend as much as you like (and can) in food and lodging (and help local economy by the way). But maybe our current, perfectly standard ideas and practices, may be considered odd and strange in 2050.

Last edited:
I don't think any less of Shirley as an entertainer. I just think her book was not accurate about the camino that I had walked. I also do not like the misinformation provided to millions of Oprah viewers. Philosophically speaking, I don't think Shirley made a difference to the camino. Those who believe in what she had written and said would probably not walk. If they do, they will find out soon enough on the internet/forums or the camino itself.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I’m curious as to why there is so much judgment and ridicule for how this person chose to walk her camino and express her thoughts about it. I agree that her comments about begging for food are most probably not within any of our experiences but I think that her comment about not making friends was personal with her intention to focus on a solo, spiritually internal camino and that she felt it would be hard to do this, to not make friends.

The statement that all actors and actresses "turn any and everything they touch into something about themselves" is so general and so untrue. The world of celebrity actors is a rarified unusual place. For every one celebrity actor there are hundreds of others who work hard to make their living in the arts and who live very ordinary lives, working, raising families, traveling and contributing to this world in their own way, as everyone does.

Shirley MacLaine’s book is a personal memoir with her own unique experiences and thoughts. I have read many camino memoirs and “the self” is usually the prime focus of all of them. Nothing unusual about Ms. MacLaine’s book in that regard. Like all personal memoirs, the thoughts are hers alone and I can’t see any reason that she (or anyone else) should be attacked for them.

This mocking of other people for their thoughts and choices just seems so unnecessary to me.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think any less of Shirley as an entertainer. I just think her book was not accurate about the camino that I had walked. I also do not like the misinformation provided to millions of Oprah viewers. Philosophically speaking, I don't think Shirley made a difference to the camino. Those who believe in what she had written and said would probably not walk. If they do, they will find out soon enough on the internet/forums or the camino itself.
Yes. They will find out for themselves and make their own choices. As I said, I cannot comment on her book but I can stand up for an individual who made her choices and express that throwing stones is unkind. I also don't follow Oprah so don't know the entirety of the interview. I do know that most people are aware of her as a bit eccentric and unlikely to take her words as their own sole reference to such a pilgrimage. I also just made a similar comment as Theatregal when I just received a personal message - I have never read a Camino book or blog that was not centered around the author. Also, I might remind Peter F that a well-known American actor named Ronald Reagan became governor of California and President of the United States. The thing with a book - if you don't like it, you can put it down. There are also, I might add, no rule to make friends. My own Camino and the next 2 or 3 next year were Catholic Marion walks. I walked alone. My walks (not all listed here) are spiritual and religious. I spoke during cafe break and at dinner but yucking it up and making friends when I have hundreds at home was not my purpose and would have been a distraction for me personally. Had good times, walked alone. On purpose. So the idea that making friends is some kind of requirement of the Camino is as rediculous as suggesting she was wrong to choose not to. I'm not on here to make friends. I have as much right to express my opinion as others. I see name-calling, judging, unkindness and it is my duty (I feel) to voice it's inappropriateness. I think people can behave better than that.

Yes. They will find out for themselves and make their own choices. As I said, I cannot comment on her book but I can stand up for an individual who made her choices and express that throwing stones is unkind. I also don't follow Oprah so don't know the entirety of the interview. I do know that most people are aware of her as a bit eccentric and unlikely to take her words as their own sole reference to such a pilgrimage. I also just made a similar comment as Theatregal when I just received a personal message - I have never read a Camino book or blog that was not centered around the author. Also, I might remind Peter F that a well-known American actor named Ronald Reagan became governor of California and President of the United States. The thing with a book - if you don't like it, you can put it down. There are also, I might add, no rule to make friends. My own Camino and the next 2 or 3 next year were (and will be)Catholic Marion walks. I walked alone. My walks (not all listed here) are spiritual and religious. I spoke during cafe break and at dinner but yucking it up and making friends when I have hundreds at home was not my purpose and would have been a distraction for me personally. Had good times, walked alone. On purpose. So the idea that making friends is some kind of requirement of the Camino is as rediculous as suggesting she was wrong to choose not to. I'm not on here to make friends. I have as much right to express mine as others. I see name-calling, judging, unkindness and it is my duty (I feel) to voice it's inappropriateness. I think people can behave better than that.

The point is that she didn't say, "It was my personal philosophy to walk alone, not make friends, and to beg for food," she stated, as an absolute fact, that all pilgrims are to walk alone, not make friends, and to beg for food. The failure to make that important distinction opens her up to legitimate criticism. Especially when someone of her stature is placing false information into the public about the Camino. Again, if she had said, 'It was my philosophy and person choice not to . . . " then okay.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The point is that she didn't say, "It was my personal philosophy to walk alone, not make friends, and to beg for food," she stated, as an absolute fact, that all pilgrims are to walk alone, not make friends, and to beg for food. The failure to make that important distinction opens her up to legitimate criticism. Especially when someone of her stature is placing false information into the public about the Camino. Again, if she had said, 'It was my philosophy and person choice not to . . . " then okay.
Watch it again. She explains her walk was very spiritual. I think you can cut an 80 year old some slack. I also sense some celebrity/actor bashing. A celebrity talks about her experience and is criticized as self - absorbed. A drug addict walks the trail , accounts his daily recovering, and is hailed as the greatest pilgrim ever. Double standard. Mark Lee, not sure what your dictionary message is. Teaching a third grade class? Yup, actors walk, too, lol

I have nothing but great respect and gratitude for Shirley MacLaine. My first caminos, 15 years ago, were due to her book and sharing her experience. My camino experiences differed greatly from hers in many ways. And that is awesome. She is one person, describing her experience. The fact that she has a national platform due to her job and immense talent does not make her fair game for mocking and negative, uninformed judgments on her motivations. She is a human being, and should be treated with the same kindness and benefit of the doubt we would (should?) extend to anyone else that lacks her celebrity status. I did not hear (or years ago, read) anything from her that would legitimately invite attack - disagreement or discussion, sure - but not attacks on her character, or on the character of actors (???) in general!

Thank you Saramago, Felipe and Theatregal for your thoughtful responses. Your kindness exemplifies the sort of company I hope to keep on my upcoming camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I apparently struck a deep nerve by pointing out that she was making statements of fact and not in any way prefacing her comments as her own personal philosophy. Regardless, misstatements of fact are fair game to criticism. The fact that someone is beloved and therefor is off limits to any criticism seems misplaced when those same defenders are so fast to criticize themselves. It scares me when certain people are deemed immune to any criticism because the defender loves them so much and has no ability to see beyond their idolism.

Shirley MacLaine is a singer, dancer, activist, author and Academy Award Winner , winner of all the top awards and the American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement Award. I have also spent time around actors - my own daughter is one. They, like everyone else, are well-rounded individuals entitled to their own ideas and opinions.

With respect, I think it's far more important to judge a person on the inside rather than by how many accolades they have amassed in their lifetime. I have met plenty of people who have achieved many things and not all of them were worthy of respect simply because of that. I judge people based on my own observations, not what is proudly displayed on their mantelpiece.

I can't find any name-calling of Shirley which you said was evident in this thread. I have seen you call other people's opinions "baloney" which is just as offensive. There are much nicer ways of saying things, no matter how strongly you disagree with someone's opinion. You yourself suggested that "people can behave better than that". Good advice, I'd say.

I apparently struck a deep nerve by pointing out that she was making statements of fact and not in any way prefacing her comments as her own personal philosophy. Regardless, misstatements of fact are fair game to criticism. The fact that someone is beloved and therefor is off limits to any criticism seems misplaced when those same defenders are so fast to criticize themselves. It scares me when certain people are deemed immune to any criticism because the defender loves them so much and has no ability to see beyond their idolism.
With all due respect, you flatter yourself. Please do not message me again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back