A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Shoe Gloves?

ShaLaw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Sept./Oct. 2015. Future Camino Portuguese in 2022.
Hi there, fellow pilgrims!

I’m just wondering if anyone has tried these shoe gloves? They certainly would have come in handy when we hiked through Galicia;

I’m thinking of doing another Camino and was thinking of ordering these so I won’t have to wear bags on my feet again - LOL - so any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
Sharon

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
From the Shoe Glove website: The Shoe glove is a protective footwear accessory for occasional use
I'm pretty sure that walking 20+km a day over all different kinds of surfaces is a bit more than occasional use. 😜

I've been wearing sandals exclusively on the Camino the last couple of years, so I don't worry about my shoes getting wet. I bring waterproof Sealskinz socks to keep my feet dry on really wet days.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I had some of those in about 1956.
On the Camino they will wear out fast.
A waste of $$$ in my opinion.

Gaiters or just let your shoes dry overnight.

ShaLaw

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Sept./Oct. 2015. Future Camino Portuguese in 2022.
Thanks! I didn’t think of that. I thought they could be good for 3 to 4 days but for sure they’d likely wear out after 20+ Kim’s/day.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I wear rain pants, and was very glad that I had them during my walk in the torrential rain on the Invierno this fall. Mine are North Face brand, Hy Vent model and keep me warm and dry. They are a little long and keep my footwear dry in most wet weather, as they also function like gaiters.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
I had some of those in about 1956.
On the Camino they will wear out fast.
A waste of $$$ in my opinion.

Gaiters or just let your shoes dry overnight.
In the 50s in Britain they were called galoshes(spelling?) and, as trecile said, used occasionally only to protect your fancy shoes when going out and it rained as you were leaving the house. You took them off as you arrived in the restaurant or theater or at your friends’ house.....

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
In the 50s in Britain they were called galoshes(spelling?) and, as trecile said, used occasionally only to protect your fancy shoes when going out and it rained as you were leaving the house. You took them off as you arrived in the restaurant or theater or at your friends’ house.....
Yes, we also called them galoshes. My grandmother even had some for high heels.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
The galoshes my father wore (and those that I wear) are much bigger and sturdier and designed to cover your shoes through the rain or snow. I wear mine to and from work (a few km walk + public transit) through most of the winter. Mine are on their second year now with no signs of wearing out. But I wouldn't take them on a Camino! Too heavy.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock