• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoe hallux rigidus - hallux limitus

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
Anyone else have this (severe arthritis of big toe with cartilage gone) What shoes or boots worked for you. I am doing okay with Saucony peregrine 5 trail runners but they are very light and it is hard to imagine they would work well in mud or heavy rain. I also have some Northface Storm waterproof I got from my son get a hot spot from them in about 5 miles. Would love to hear what worked for anyone else with this condition

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does this condition start with pain in the joint at the bottom of the big toe? Have just started to get this. V frustrating as I have to cut short training walks at about 10 K's when feet get too sore to go on, even though I don't feel at all tired. I was planning to search past posts and there was yours right at the top! Sorry, this is no help to you Imsundaze. But I hope in the usual helpful forum spirit a wealth of info will soon appear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I sypmathise with you. Although not the same thing , I have hallux valgus and pes valgus, I can recommend for a hallux the brand Hanwag. They have specific shoes for hallux issues.
Do not know if they are available in your region though.
http://www.hanwag.com/products/outdoor/trek-light
Sabine, I would have to find out if they mail order them. Which Hanwag do you have?

Does this condition start with pain in the joint at the bottom of the big toe? Have just started to get this. V frustrating as I have to cut short training walks at about 10 K's when feet get too sore to go on, even though I don't feel at all tired. I was planning to search past posts and there was yours right at the top! Sorry, this is no help to you Imsundaze. But I hope in the usual helpful forum spirit a wealth of info will soon appear.
It does, Lachance. It is caused by arthritis which destroys the cartilage. The podiatrist suggested surgery but I am not ready for that. (It doesn't always work, can make it worse and leave one with a limp or worse.) He also prescribed orthotics but they increase the pain. I am realizing I will have to do shorter distances than others do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sabine, I would have to find out if they mail order them. Which Hanwag do you have?

I would if possible try to find a shop to try them on but that is just my idea. I have the alta bunion lady. But I tried zillions before buying this one. Also had to try them on with my customised insoles.
Good luck with the search!

Thanks Sabine. No way to try them on here, it would have to be mail order. 99 days until my Camino!

Anyone else have this (severe arthritis of big toe with cartilage gone) What shoes or boots worked for you. I am doing okay with Saucony peregrine 5 trail runners but they are very light and it is hard to imagine they would work well in mud or heavy rain. I also have some Northface Storm waterproof I got from my son get a hot spot from them in about 5 miles. Would love to hear what worked for anyone else with this condition
Take a look at www.vasylimedical.com and read about the Danenberg orthotics. Inexpensive and got sent. They were prescribed to me for plantar fasciitis but were designed for hallus limitus.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Once again, I am awed at what some peregrinos endure for the sake of the Camino. Have to wonder whether the increased walking hasn't brought this on. I'm nearly 66 but mercifully free from arthritis up till now apart from a bit in the knees, which is definitely exacerbated by squats. Metatarsals are acting up now too with walking. Oh joy. OTOH, the foot probs only flared up since I gave up alcohol for NY res. Perhaps that was a mistake...:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haha. Chardonnay is my tipple of choice. But how on earth does auto complete get 'me' from 'wine'. Well, I suppose you inadvertently omitted a letter or pressed the wrong one. But it really does seem sometimes that auto is managed by an evil demon, cackling as it puts in some madly inappropriate word. I turned it off after finding it took longer to proof the demon's efforts than you save. All my mistakes are my own. Sorry to go off topic, can't help venting, it's a pet peeve.

Very bad autocorrect example: I used to email a Japanese lady for work reasons that was called Akemi. Autocorrect in Thunderbird thought she was called Leukaemia ...
Sorry for the off-topic, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know anything about the OP's condition hallux rigidus, but I wanted to share a revelation I am having on the pain at the base of the big toe (and inner ball of foot). In 2004 I did an 1100 mile hike (with backpack) and had fairly constant foot pain starting on the second or third day. I thought it was to be expected for walking that much. At around 500 miles I knew something had to change and got "custom" molded Superfeet and different boots, which didn't improve anything. A couple years later I was on vacation in Colorado with blistered heels from hiking, and my boyfriend recommended I go see one of his college buddies. He is a downhill ski boot guru at Vail, and made me some custom Surefoot insoles for my hiking boots. I've always thought I liked them, but never had a long walk to really compare them until now. I am currently on Camino (Frances) and around 300 miles in, and I really think these are making a huge difference. I'm 11 years older and 30 lb heavier and my feet feel so much better than they did back in 2004 only a couple of days into hiking. I had a few blister problems here on Camino that caused me to buy and use gel insoles for two days twice - and that familiar ache/pain in the joint and ball of my foot was noticeable with 15km or so.

I don't work for Surefoot, and there may be other similar methods of getting inserts like this, but here is what I think are the main reasons these work well for me:
- I have high arches, which after long mileages I think the muscles/tendons get tired and allow my foot to flex too much, makking it flatteramd forcing extra motion or loading forwards at the ball of my foot unless properly supported.
- I also am a natural pronator
- These insoles are made my standing on a machine, the guru gets your joints lined up ankle-knee-hip and then it measures the profile of your loaded foot (which includes some natural foot flexion but not the over-flexed tired flex you'd possibly have after miles and miles of walking). A machine takes that measured foot profile and 3-d carves a footbed out of some material (not sure what it is: softer than rigid, firmer than gel insoles). The footbed is a Loaded profile- so it isn't rigidly holding that high arch up too high: it still allows some natural foot flexing which is important.
- I have had "custom" molded-to-me Superfeet in the past, but they molded my foot while I sat in a chair. I also had a podiatrist make expensive orthotics: Hard plastic formed to a mold made while I laid on my stomach. Neither of these helped in distance hiking, and the plastic orthotics were uncomfortable.

With any change to your foot support, you need to gradually work in to wearing it. I feel like I tried a lot of things and had started to think I should just expect foot pain. Now I have sore feet after a big day of walking, but it is soooo much better. I'm so happy to have found something that works for me. I wish I could rewind the clock and have learned this years ago.

I don't know if this necessarily helps the OP or people with other things going on in their feet, but hopefully it can help someone. Nothing else- don't be afraid to keep asking questions and trying things until you find something that works for you. I got some bad advice from "experts" years ago, but luckily I didn't stop there and accept it - because eventually I found what works for me.

I'll throw my experience into the mix in case it helps anyone. I have arthritis and a few years ago it got quite disagreeable. Most obvious places were hands (with "trigger finger" - where the joint refuses to uncurl naturally and has to be manually unlocked) and and a couple of rigid toes. Every morning my whole body was stiff and painful getting out of bed. For reasons unconnected to the arthritis (vanity; I wanted to lose some weight in a hurry) I went on an Atkins type diet - high fat but basically carbohdrate free, no sugar, no grains, no rice, potatoes, etc. I know that all dieticians reading this will be horrified and I'm not advocating it, just telling my experience. An unlooked for correlation was that the joint swelling subsided and now I spring out of bed almost (almost) like a spring chicken. One toe is still a little stiff but the finger problem has resolved completely. Because the diet cuts out many things I cant relate it to anything specific (sugar? grains? starchy vegetables?) but I do know when I eat normally (and I frequently do) the arthritis comes back.

For the toe problem my suggestion is to try hiking sandals.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been having trouble with my big toe off and on for the last couple of years...I began to research and ask a lot of questions. I studied various sites and talked to individuals concerning this problem (stiff big toe, hurt to bend it, pain under the joint of the big toe when I walk) I have yet to see a podiatrist but will if this next method I try doesn't help. I think this video is the one that makes the most sense to me about what can possibly be going on with my toe. It may be worth the 7 minutes for you to check it out...I am not sure if the solution he offers will correct the problem and I may try it.
But for now I have started using a metatarsal pad under the ball of my foot and it has helped considerably. (Just sharing what seems to be working for me)

Thanks Angie, that was quite interesting. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine and my X-ray confirmed the diagnosis. I had the hard orthotics with the Morton's extension and they increased the pain for me. I wonder if Correct Toes works, it sounded logical in the video but I'm not sure. What is a metatarsal pad?

Linda,
I have listed a bit of the description (from one of the websites) for the purpose of a metatarsal pad with links to further explain it. For me, I believe my gait changed years ago due to a work related knee injury (I changed the walk putting most of my weight towards the outside of my foot to try and alleviate the pain and it just slowly changed the weight bearing balance on my right foot) so my issue isn't really due to over extended toes or wearing shoes with a narrow toe box, but these pads seem to push the fat pad back up under the ball of my foot and also pull the big toe joint more inline as it should be. I am going to combine the metatarsal pads with a gel insert that goes just between the big toe and the next toe (instead of using the full correct toes inserts)

"Metatarsal pads, when properly placed within a completely flat shoe with a sufficiently wide toe box, can help undo muscle imbalance in your foot. Metatarsal pads help reconfigure your foot to the position that nature intended; that is, with splayed metatarsal heads, splayed toes, and a fat pad located directly underneath the fragile bones and nerves in the ball of your foot. Numerous foot and lower extremity problems can be prevented or reversed by restoring your natural foot anatomy and function."

https://nwfootankle.com/products/7-metatarsal-pads

https://myfootshop.wordpress.com/2009/08/06/metatarsal-pads-how-are-they-used/

http://www.footeducation.com/frequently-asked-questions/how-do-i-fit-a-metatarsal-pad/

Attachments

• mp 1.jpg
    mp 1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I got this last winter. Turned out there was bone chip in the joint. I had surgery to remove the chip. The chip had, unfortunately, destroyed about 1cm of the cartilage. The surgeon said he drilled the bone to stimulate the growth of "bone cartilage" (sort of a "better than nothing" kind of thing). I then had about 3 sessions of physical therapy and worked pretty diligently on the exercises at home.

I walked a pilgrimage in Italy this summer (13 days), then 17 days on the John Muir Trail this fall. No issues. The joint does not have its former flexibility, but it has enough that I can walk long distances with only occasional discomfort (usually when I stub that toe).

YMMV, but that was my experience. If you live close to Connecticut, I'll give you the name of my podiatrist surgeon.

Jo Jo

Interesting that all BUT ONE OF the posters here are female. How many of us wore shoes that were too tight in our youth? I sure did, having rather large feet and often having to accept a size too small in order to be fashionable. Can't imagine a man ever doing that. Let alone the presumably dire effect on us women of high heels. Maybe that's why there are no blokes joining in here. This thread has been a great wakeup call for me. Big toes just starting to act up after prolonged training walks. Now thanks to all the valuable info here, I can act to limit further damage. So thank you, everyone.

Edited to correct error of fact.

Last edited:
Interesting that all the posters here are female. How many of us wore shoes that were too tight in our youth? I sure did, having rather large feet and often having to accept a size too small in order to be fashionable. Can't imagine a man ever doing that. Let alone the presumably dire effect on us women of high heels. Maybe that's why there are no blokes joining in here. This thread has been a great wakeup call for me. Big toes just starting to act up after prolonged training walks. Now thanks to all the valuable info here, I can act to limit further damage. So thank you, everyone.
Don't let the long hair fool you--I'm a guy (the tall one behind my wife in the picture).

Jo Jo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't let the long hair fool you--I'm a guy (the tall one behind my wife in the picture).

Jo Jo
Hmm. I do remember a brief vogue for guys wearing pointy shoes in my youth, but you look far too young for that. I'd exclude you from the survey results on the basis of the bone chip, were it not that it seems bony spurs can be a result of this condition. So I have edited the original comment.

@lmsundaze Thank you for starting this thread!

@Angie94 WOMAN! I learned SO much from that video you posted. NOW, I know what I need to do for my Met pain...and just in time before my May/June Camino...Thank You!!!

@Kanga The results you got from that dietary change just blew me away! I'm going to give it a go and see what improvements (Lord willing) I might experience. Thank You!!! ps...I'm still considering bringing my Tevas for camino.

@Angie94 WOMAN! I learned SO much from that video you posted. NOW, I know what I need to do for my Met pain...and just in time before my May/June Camino...Thank You!!!

you are so welcome! I have been addressing this issue for months and using different things along the way to help the toe out....but some of those things starting causing other problems with my right foot )heel problem and then my little toe was getting in bad shape because the inserts were creating less space in the toe box area) . So I researched some more about the problem (hallux limitus) and one Dr. said to massage and rotate the big toe and pull on it (traction) and then more rotating (around and around in a circle) and more massaging. I have been doing that for a month. I no longer use any inserts or pads or 'fixtures' for my toe. I was able to get rid of all of those and just use my super green feet inserts. That being said...I am no Dr and I am not recommending this for anyone. But it worked for me. I can even do some push ups now as before I couldn't because my big toe couldn't take the pressure put on it from bending it to do a push up! I am not sure what "cured" the problem or if it was a combination of everything (including some prayers that people close that were being said! which I was unaware of!!) but in the end the problem has been resolved! I hope everything works out for you as well :)

Blessings,
Ang

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"...Dr. said to massage and rotate the big toe and pull on it (traction) and then more rotating (around and around in a circle) and more massaging. I have been doing that for a month. I no longer use any inserts or pads or 'fixtures' for my toe..."

I saw that part and watched a few more of his videos. He gives some good advice. That's wonderful that you've gotten to where you have with experimenting on what works for you, and getting better! I know that it's trial and error for most of us...in all things, lol!

Actually, I'm a 72-year old man & I recently posted something similar under a thread which I called 'Arthritis' and received a couple of helpful replies (I also posted under 'The Ultimate Boot' and am grateful for the thoughtful ideas there too):

"Am beginning to suffer from arthritis which affects my big toes and my ankles. Mornings are worse and sometimes the pain can be excruciating. I find the best thing is to walk this off when, after about 5miles/8kms and I have warmed up, the pain is tolerable.

Have tried external applications of e.g. Voltarol with no effect. I do not want surgery or to start taking any drugs, but am prepared to change my diet. Am also prepared to offer my right leg as a control and my left leg for experimentation."

Ideas please.

Peter

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.